Difficulty of FM16

How are we finding FM16 difficulty in general?

How have you been performing against what your board expectations are? Underachieving or overachieving?

This thread is meant to be a discussion about how you feel the challenge is at the beta stage. It is not meant to be about bragging or calling people who are doing well cheaters or liars.

It is meant for players who in general do their own tactics and scout their own players to give an idea to the challenge level.

Clutching at straws there mate - how are the attributes of your opponents?

Rangers won their first 11 league games IRL and you lost to QOS..

Anyway, my Belarus team is doing better than expected and I was hoping other players would let us know how they are doing in terms of results v board expectations.

My first season at Preston in Championship I was convinced FM16 was too easy as I was predicted bottom but 2nd in November using a slightly modified 4-4-2

I then slipped into the relegation places with about 3 games to go before moving out on goal difference on the last day

2nd season was ~14th all season and 3rd season I got comfortably promoted in 2nd.

Pretty poor by my usual FM standards but the last few years I don't pay the game much attention and go on internet etc while games are playing.

My experience so far is that FM16 is about the same as the other games since FM got harder, so roughly equal with 15 and 14 - which is to say can seem a little easier than you'd like at times but overall is probably about right (especially given as starting rep etc kind of serves as difficulty level)

Yeah I don't think you can call it easy and use Rangers as test data.

Are you not actually doing worse than Rangers IRL?

Especially not in real life as Hibs won 2-1 against them today :lol:

Playing as Hibs I'm finding the game going well, too early to say it's easy as I don't use any wonder tactic that you can download, top of the league but snatched 2 wins against half decent teams, so not blowing everyone away with loads of goals.

Finding it very easy and really struggling to get into it. I am sure my enthusiasm will pick up once I can customise via the editor. Agree with the poster above that wing play is the way to go with the beta.

Maybe its just me but I've been playing this series for a decade and so far I'm not enjoying this at all. Anytime I play a decent team I get absolute destroyed. It's anywhere from 8 to 12-0, every single shot they hit goes in, when my wingers get the ball in space or my midfielders they run, stop, turn around, do what looks like the Macarena then lose the ball, the other team goes up the other end with about 6 strikers open despite me asking to have them man marked, no closing down, keep shape etc and this continues all game. My players can't pass the ball, they try to clear it and it hits off the back of someones head, rolls back to the other striker and bang, it's 8-0. I accept its new and ive got to figure it out but so far I don't like it.

Maybe its just me but I've been playing this series for a decade and so far I'm not enjoying this at all. Anytime I play a decent team I get absolute destroyed. It's anywhere from 8 to 12-0, every single shot they hit goes in, when my wingers get the ball in space or my midfielders they run, stop, turn around, do what looks like the Macarena then lose the ball, the other team goes up the other end with about 6 strikers open despite me asking to have them man marked, no closing down, keep shape etc and this continues all game. My players can't pass the ball, they try to clear it and it hits off the back of someones head, rolls back to the other striker and bang, it's 8-0. I accept its new and ive got to figure it out but so far I don't like it.

It's your ta... (Gonna let someone else do that...)

Have you played FM15..? Because I mostly only buy FM every 2nd year and there's many differences how the tactics work. Maybe even between FM15 and 16..? (Haven't played 15 so don't know..)

I've found a few teething issues between FM15 and FM16, mainly in the possession statistic

I'm destroying teams, yet only average 43% over the first 29 league games (I'm topping the league, so nothing about that)

Keepers seem much improved, creating more realistic scorelines (get a lot of 1-0s or 2-0s)

Also the fitness seems to deteriorate a lot quicker ingame, basically forcing you into subs (I mean, you can finish on under 60% condition, but hmmm)

As beta's go, this seems like one of the best yet

Although I will say that my scouts seem derpy, they haven't discovered anyone decent (despite the GP&TG telling me otherwise) having spent 6-9 months in that area looking for players - 4 months of Argentina and my scout still hasn't found Lucas Romero :|

Although I will say that my scouts seem derpy, they haven't discovered anyone decent (despite the GP&TG telling me otherwise) having spent 6-9 months in that area looking for players

Off topic but I'm in my first EPL season with Preston, have a good enough team to have me 7th at xmas, 4 of my starting line up are 3* CA 4 gold 1 black PA teenagers that I got for a combined < £ 1 million.

This never happened to me in FM15

It's your ta... (Gonna let someone else do that...)

Have you played FM15..? Because I mostly only buy FM every 2nd year and there's many differences how the tactics work. Maybe even between FM15 and 16..? (Haven't played 15 so don't know..)

Yeah assumed its my tactics and yeah I've played the FM series every year for about 10 years. Also there is a lot of back to back goals, once someone scores they score again very quicly

I found I struggled at first but I feel like I've got to grips with it now. I'm just not a fan of the new tactical interface and it took me a while to get the right things in place.

The thing I'm finding hardest right now is playing with Athletic Bilbao, the majority of my first team are wanted by other clubs and they aren't happy about it. They all come to say saying so and so is interested and I'd like to leave despite the fact we're doing very well. Praying I don't get torn apart in January!

I'm finding it pretty easy, but maybe the Portland Timbers are still way too good... Alvas Powell, finally an actual right back in this game, got a 7.89 average rating in the second season. I love the guy, but he's not that good (or maybe it's complete wing backs in a 4-4-2 diamond are broken)

Compare your results to board expectations.

let's see

Italian Super Cup - not important - won it

Serie A - win it - won the title, 90 points

Champion's League - make quarter final - eliminated in the first knockout (by Barcelona, board understood that that was a difficult tie)

Italian Cup - not important - runnerup on penalties

also, I got offered a new contract in November, so I must be doing something right

Especially not in real life as Hibs won 2-1 against them today :lol:

Playing as Hibs I'm finding the game going well, too early to say it's easy as I don't use any wonder tactic that you can download, top of the league but snatched 2 wins against half decent teams, so not blowing everyone away with loads of goals.

If you want a real Scottish challenge then Inverness is your way, i started as them by asking my girlfriend where she would like to move to and after she said the Scottish Highlands they were my choice.

No Transfer or Wage Budget and minimal staff

Somehow got European football from last season so high expectations

6 long term injuries of their best players from the start of the game

The only decent player they have available is on loan from Celtic

I'd love to be the Rangers manager!!! :(

If you want a real Scottish challenge then Inverness is your way, i started as them by asking my girlfriend where she would like to move to and after she said the Scottish Highlands they were my choice.

No Transfer or Wage Budget and minimal staff

Somehow got European football from last season so high expectations

6 long term injuries of their best players from the start of the game

The only decent player they have available is on loan from Celtic

I'd love to be the Rangers manager!!! :(

I'm a Hibee so could never go another Scottish team, after a good few seasons I will have a game usually going a lower ECL or Div 1 team and try to get them to EPL and Champion league spot.

I love the people who say its too easy.

"I start a game with full coaching badges, highest playing experience, take off attribute masking, pick the best team in the league, download a tactic, read all the wonderkid articles and sign them all, use a 3rd party editor so I know everyone's CA and PA, and if I don't like something and think its unrealistic ill reload until the game is right. Game is far too easy guys......"

"I start a game with full coaching badges, highest playing experience, take off attribute masking, pick the best team in the league, download a tactic, read all the wonderkid articles and sign them all, use a 3rd party editor so I know everyone's CA and PA, and if I don't like something and think its unrealistic ill reload until the game is right. Game is far too easy guys......"

This is true of all games though. You make a game as easy or hard as you want it to be.

I'm finding it about where I'd like it to be. It took some experimenting to get my tactics where I want them, now it's all about managing my squad through the first season so I can start to make some changes, make my mark and build a dynasty

Except I don't ever do that. I have no coaching qualifications, Sunday league footballer, attrubute masking, must be scouted or brought in for trail before signing, never looked at player lists, make my own tactics, have no 3rd party editor, and never reload and look to play as realistically as I possibly can. Thanks for your informed input.

On top of that, I am asking how people are doing against their board expectations to get an idea of how the game is balanced. The more challenging the game is, the more I like it. I rep[lace the attributes with the polygon, but they still pop up every now and then on other screens. Full masking should be an option!

I do like to challenge the people who say its too easy to a 2 player game, just to see if they find the game as easy as they claim. 5 games in, not one has done well, and most just quit when they realise they wont win the league.

I think you are confusing what I mean by easy. I am talking about challenging. As stated, numerous times, if most people playing exceed board expectations easily (without cheating) than the game may not be that challenging. If the majority of people are achieving board expectations it is probably about right.

Aren't 2 player games timed? I could never play like that. I take 25 minutes to pick a team sometimes.

I find it interesting that if someone is doing well in the game, people assume they are either cheating or lying. This thread is going nowhere as too many people are not willing to discuss how they are doing (overachieving or underachieving), but just make pointless assertions.

Selling players for crazy sums has never been easier. Sold Cabella for 28M and Ayose Perez for 50M at end of first season. This will make it easier for sure.

I find most FM games easy as not much changes from year to year. Maybe tactics need to be tweaked between iterations of the match engine, but the same fundamentals will ultimately get you to the top of the league.

I think you are confusing what I mean by easy. I am talking about challenging. As stated, numerous times, if most people playing exceed board expectations easily (without cheating) than the game may not be that challenging. If the majority of people are achieving board expectations it is probably about right.

Aren't 2 player games timed? I could never play like that. I take 25 minutes to pick a team sometimes.

I find it interesting that if someone is doing well in the game, people assume they are either cheating or lying. This thread is going nowhere as too many people are not willing to discuss how they are doing (overachieving or underachieving), but just make pointless assertions.

Well any new manager should be given a "easier" target for their first season in charge in real life as well to be fair.

I've been playing as Gillingham, using basically the same formations and XIs they've been using in real life, and doing about as well. Made it to the 4th round of the League Cup and am in 5th after 15 or so games. I'm not a great player generally so my input here isn't all too helpful. I feel like tactically your decisions as manager seem to play out more in tune compared to previous versions.

Oh, and I hate how the stadium televisions play your screen, so that the screen is broadcasting the FM commentary bar at the bottom. This is the most immersion-breaking thing in the world!

You're also on a Football Manager internet forum, so you're not exactly picking data from a fair sample. The majority who post on here have been playing for a long time and know the game well, and will likely exceed expectations comfortably.

• 2 weeks later...

1st in the Championship with Sheffield United 2nd season in October... My tactic seems to kick ass. Usually I spend ages driving myself insane tweeking constantly. I picked this one straight away and it's worked well consistently. It all feels kinda weird though. I wasn't expecting this level of success. And I'm playing attacking every game. Sometimes that screws newly promoted teams over (see Bournmouth IRL PL)... not us though. : /

I only had January transfers on first season and signed only Cummings and Teixeira. 2nd season I didn't get a lot of money (about 2m) at first and signed a bunch of merely decent squad players but then on the last day of transfers I asked the board for more money and *****ed it all on Clough but he's barely played so far. No tricks or cheats.

I'm doing surprisingly well with Loughgall FC, in fact I've gone over 20 games unbeaten (one loss on penalties) and just beat Premier Dvision Cliftonville 3-1 away.

I'm playing a wide tactic that is essentially 4-3-3 with instructions to very direct football to the wings. I don't know if Loughgall are a supremely talented side in real life (don't sppear to be especially so) or if they've just been massively overrated in the database. I never normally do this well. Everything has just clicked.

I expected to get thrashed by Cliftonville, but after telling my players there was no pressure they put in a performance of real quality. If anything makes the game easier, I think it's team talks.

Should I get promoted (on course to do so barring a massive drop in performances) I'll see how I get on then. So far I can't help but feel things are too easy.

Archived