FM16: What Team Should I Be?

Recently started a Monaco save, and it went terribly, so I jumped ship. Anyway, the thing I was most attracted to which made me start a game with them was the amount of wonderkids in the team, something crazy like 10 in the first team and 15 or so in the reserve squad, plus another 10-15 in the U19s!! Unfortunately I just couldn't get the team to click so failed miserably.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there are any teams with a similar setup? Making it possible to field a side mainly with talented youngsters and plenty of potential throughout the squad? Thinking of starting up a Spurs save for this reason and Schalke is also a possibility. Any other recommendations?

Sporting Lisbon.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nation: Any top European league. Preferably from: France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain

Division: Either top or second division.

European Competition: Either Europa League or none.

Media Prediction: Any

Board Expectation(s): Anything other than 'expecting to win the division'.

Transfer Budget: Any, as long as they're not bankrupt.

Wage Budget: Any

Finances: Nothing below secure.

Other: Basically looking for a team that hasn't won much in recent seasons. Would like a team who have solid foundations in terms of players. A few quality players already in the team. Possibly a fallen giant type of team, but not necessary.

Inter Milan, Stuttgart, Schalke, Werder Bremen, Valencia, Lyon

Nation: Top European League

Division: Any, but preferably lower

European Competition: Any

Board Expectation(s): Any

Transfer Budget: None or close to none

Wage Budget: Inflated

Finances: Dire

Other: Basically, I'm looking for a team that is a complete and utter financial shambles. Just a black pit that money falls into. I'm looking for a challenge.

Coventry City? I know Bolton had some issues on fm15, not sure how they are now. Looking overseas, weaker Spanish teams don't have a lot of money in general. Parma have been demoted down to Serie D I think?

Nation: Any top European league. Preferably from: France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain

Division: Either top or second division.

European Competition: Either Europa League or none.

Board Expectation(s): Anything other than 'expecting to win the division'.

Transfer Budget: Any, as long as they're not bankrupt.

Finances: Nothing below secure.

Other: Basically looking for a team that hasn't won much in recent seasons. Would like a team who have solid foundations in terms of players. A few quality players already in the team. Possibly a fallen giant type of team, but not necessary.

1) Monchengladbach(a giant in the 70s)

2) Auxerre(relegated in 2012 after 32 years in the top flight)

3) Feyenoord(always only regarded as the 3rd best team in the league, haven't won the championship since 98/99 season)

4) Villarreal(Has a couple of good core of Spanish players and a few bright prospects to work with)

5) Napoli(Another team who doesn't win alot despite being 1 of the giants in Italy. Never won the title again since Maradona last played for them)

Nation: Top European League

Division: Any, but preferably lower

Transfer Budget: None or close to none

Wage Budget: Inflated

Finances: Dire

Other: Basically, I'm looking for a team that is a complete and utter financial shambles. Just a black pit that money falls into. I'm looking for a challenge.

Bolton definitely fall into that category. IRL they haven't paid their players for nearly two months and the game should be realistic enough to pick that up. I'm pretty sure Leeds aren't in great shape. Any really low League 2 sides or Conference sides also provide a financial challenge. I got Eastleigh promoted in the first season and they start with a sensational squad for that level. In League 2 though, I got given a smaller wage budget and had to put a load of youth players out.

I think Coventry are a bit more stable at the minute, especially as they're back at the Ricoh. Attendances are up which always helps finances.

Nation: Any european

Division: If top league: Lower division If lesser league: top division

European Competition: No

Media Prediction: Between middle and bottom - but not hopelessly last

Board Expectation(s): Fair

Transfer Budget: More than 0 is preferable

Wage Budget: A bit to spare would be nice

Finances: Not horribly in debt

Other: It would be nice if the team had nice colours

Nation: Anywhere in Europe outside the UK/Ireland

Division: Any but pref lower

European Competition: any

Media Prediction: any

Board Expectation(s): any

Transfer Budget: any

Wage Budget: any

Finances: not terrible

Other: I want to try and do a 'Celtic 68' challenge ie all the players from 1 region/city or brought through the academy eg if I was managing Barcelona, then they would all be from Barcelona/Catalonia or though the academy. So the place the club is from should have a decent population. I would also prefer to be the 2nd/3rd team (or lower) in a city so I can build them up and become the stuff of legends. There should also be a 'story' to the team (founded by a certain group in society, represent the working class, have fanatical fans with a political alligence, represent a region such as Barca do with Catalan Independence, only use players from 1 area such as Athletic Bilbao's Basque only policy etc etc).

Nation: Any european

Division: If top league: Lower division If lesser league: top division

European Competition: No

Media Prediction: Between middle and bottom - but not hopelessly last

Board Expectation(s): Fair

Transfer Budget: More than 0 is preferable

Wage Budget: A bit to spare would be nice

Finances: Not horribly in debt

Other: It would be nice if the team had nice colours

Not the easiest to answer. Palermo, Getafe, FC Nantes, Crystal Palace, Sampdoria, Lillestrom, FC Nordsjaelland.

Other: I want to try and do a 'Celtic 68' challenge ie all the players from 1 region/city or brought through the academy eg if I was managing Barcelona, then they would all be from Barcelona/Catalonia or though the academy. So the place the club is from should have a decent population. I would also prefer to be the 2nd/3rd team (or lower) in a city so I can build them up and become the stuff of legends. There should also be a 'story' to the team (founded by a certain group in society, represent the working class, have fanatical fans with a political alligence, represent a region such as Barca do with Catalan Independence, only use players from 1 area such as Athletic Bilbao's Basque only policy etc etc).

Paris FC might be worth a shot? Maybe Murcia in Spain. Automanage a year and take control of Parma?

Just about to start a new game. Shall I be Gap Connah's Quay or FC Vaduz?

A bit different there. I'll just say the Welsh team.

Paris FC might be worth a shot? Maybe Murcia in Spain. Automanage a year and take control of Parma?

Always had Paris FC in the back of my mind. Would be nice to overthrow PSG as well. There are also Red Star and US Créteil-Lusitanos from Paris as well, of which Red Star look the most promising for me personally (newly promoted, from a poor suburb of Paris, left wing Ultra, founded by Jules Rimet, good youth system)

Could go with the classic: St. Pauli. Based in Hamburg, extreme left-wing politically, founded in protest against HSV's right-wing fans. Hamburg's also a pretty big city, and you could even grab a few Danish players from the border region as the entire region used to be considered under the Hansestadt Hamburg area.

Could go with the classic: St. Pauli. Based in Hamburg, extreme left-wing politically, founded in protest against HSV's right-wing fans. Hamburg's also a pretty big city, and you could even grab a few Danish players from the border region as the entire region used to be considered under the Hansestadt Hamburg area.

Ha, I just came back to the thread to make exactly that suggestion after not having time to answer yesterday.

Another idea in Germany could be Unterhaching as Munich's "third club". But they lack a bit of the "story" aspect which St. Pauli of course has in abundance. No other club in Germany is probably as political active, hones its own story and legend and concerns itself with topics completely outside of the football world than St. Pauli. Some critics would say that the club, by trying to be "different" and "outside of the mainstream" has actually ended up being quite a bit "mainstream" in the way they create a marketing image for themselves.

You could also chose on of the French clubs from Corsica and try to build a squad only consisting of players from the island. I imagine this could be quite hard, though, but it would certainly fit into the proud patriotic mindset of Corsica to have such a team and lead it to glory.

edit: And Union Berlin, of course! Very interesting club that is largely financed by its supporters and has one of the strongest connections with its fans. Only second club in Berlin, and we all know that Berlin is probably the only capital in whole Europe which does not have a football club challenging for the title in their respective league.

Nation: one in Europe

Division: second top or top

European Competition: don't mind

Media Prediction:not a top team

Board Expectation(s): I dont want to be a title or european challenger

Transfer Budget: solid enough, not huge and not tiny

Wage Budget: room to manoeuvre

Finances: not huge amounts of debt

Other: basically I want to start a career at a club that I can grow. I do not mind about the nation, I would like a club that could play a 4-1-4-1 counter tactic. I would like a solid youth development to produce chaps I can bring through. I have played with everton and arsenal so far and didn't connect with either of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys can anyone help me choose a save to start with. Playing as Valencia but need a break from Spain.

Narrowed it down to Red Bull Leipzig or AC Milan. RBL looks fascinating, starting in second division. But Milan seem to just constantly do **** in all my saves so I sort of want to build them again.

RB Leipzig is like Man City in the 2nd division. Should win the title with the players they have.

AC Milan should be more of a challenge if you don't do an overhaul of the whole team in the 1st season. Sell a few players with expiring contracts like Mexes and Nocerino and see where you can do from there.

Cesena - one of the classiest clubs in Italy with an excellent chairman and supporter profile. Make their 75th anniversary something to remember by taking their young and talented squad back into Serie A! Sign Del Piero on a free transfer and let him have one last hurrah by winning the Serie B title! Use your 16M transfer budget to form a squad that will surprise everyone once you are back up! Enjoy being one of only two major clubs in Italy with a synthetic pitch!

Frosinone - can you bring the samba to this 46K town from the outskirts of Rome? Favorite for the drop in Serie A, but fear not: their chairman is a club legend - an ambitious lawyer who knows a great deal about how to make a club profitable. Avoid the drop and make a profit by selling some of the deadwood, and chances are you will fall in love with the Canarini. With an insignificant debt of £3M, you'll make a profit in no time! The Matusa is the tiniest of stadiums, but be patient and they'll build you a new one! I mentioned samba didn't I? They play their games in all yellow, so it seems only fitting that you should bring in some of the many cheap and supremely talented Brazilian youngsters on this version of FM!

Napoli - bring back the success of the Maradona years to one of the most passionate clubs in the world! HIRE Maradona as your Director of Football and let him have a say - that's sure to sell out their 60K stadium every week! Hamsik is your leader and almost as good on FM as Gerrard was in his prime! For the added challenge, keep the old blend of only Argentinean and Italian players at Napoli, and enjoy a team with a strong identity and potential to grow into one of the top clubs in the world! With Maradona pulling the strings you'll be able to bring Messi to Naples in the twilight of his career - provided that you've managed to build the club up in the meantime!

Nation: Europe but not BPL.

Division: First division.

European Competition: not important.

Media Prediction: from 5th to 20th.

Board Expectation(s): any.

Transfer Budget: at least 3 million (also by selling players).

Wage Budget: same as transfer.

Finances: not important.

Other: I'm looking for a really difficult challange where I can buy the three Al Ahly's bargains (Sobhy, Gamal and the WB/LM).

Just been sacked for the second time with Man Utd, in the second season having put a lot of effort into doing well so feeling a bit grumpy with the game! Any suggestions for a save to reinvigorate my love for FM? Dont mind where or what level but just want a patient board and achievable goals. Debating Dafuges challenge but I think that might be a bit too much of a slog. All suggestions welcome

Nation: Any (preferably European)

Division: Top

Transfer Budget: Preferable

Finances: Any (as long as club doesn't have significant debt)

Other: Club should have monopoly over youth recruitment in the country or at the very least must be better than second best youth producing team. Eg Dinamo Zagreb

Any suggestions? :D

Looking to have a fun youth producing save.

Nation: NOT England

Division:

European Competition:

Media Prediction:

Board Expectation(s):

Transfer Budget: atleast 5 million

Wage Budget:

Finances:

Other: decent youth set up

Marseille in Ligue 1 could be an option

Other: Club should have monopoly over youth recruitment in the country or at the very least must be better than second best youth producing team. Eg Dinamo Zagreb

Anderlecht perhaps? Seems to be great youth coming from their academy, not sure if it's a monopoly though.

Nation: Europe

Division: Probably top, but will be open to lower if criteria met

Transfer Budget: I want money and I want spare wage budget and/or the ability to make those via sales

Wage Budget: As above

Finances: Not fussed as long as I can spend

Other: Looking for a team with a decent rep, that dosent have much recent success and will allow me to spend wildly. I dont need a sugar daddy as I can manufacture huge transfer budgets.... maybe Russia is something to consider but I dont know their budgets...

Anderlecht perhaps? Seems to be great youth coming from their academy, not sure if it's a monopoly though.

Have been looking through the editor. Have so far found the following:

Countries with 1 club having a good youth academy:

1. Czech Republic: Sparta Praha

2. Austria: RB Salzburg

Countries with 2 clubs having good youth academies:

1. Croatia: Dinamo Zagreb, Split

2. Belgium: Anderlecht, Standard Liege

3. Ukraine: Shakthar, Metalist

Countries with 3 clubs having good youth academies:

1. Portugal: Benefica, Porto, Sporting Lisbon

2. Holland: Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV

Should spoiler tags be added?

I shall update as I find more.

Nation: Europe

Division: Probably top, but will be open to lower if criteria met

Transfer Budget: I want money and I want spare wage budget and/or the ability to make those via sales

Wage Budget: As above

Finances: Not fussed as long as I can spend

Other: Looking for a team with a decent rep, that dosent have much recent success and will allow me to spend wildly. I dont need a sugar daddy as I can manufacture huge transfer budgets.... maybe Russia is something to consider but I dont know their budgets...

Monaco, Shaktar, Wolfsburg, Sevilla, Benefica, Zenit?

All have good budgets but I don't know how sustainable spending loads can be.

Nation: European Leagues (Scotland, England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Holland)

Division: Prefer lower league

Transfer Budget: 0-250K (enough to wheel and deal and get a few good youngsters)

Finances: Any

Other: Looking for a club that I can build up from lower reputation/rebuild after several bad years. A game that I can really lose myself in

Nation: European Leagues (Scotland, England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Holland)

Transfer Budget: 0-250K (enough to wheel and deal and get a few good youngsters)

Other: Looking for a club that I can build up from lower reputation/rebuild after several bad years. A game that I can really lose myself in

I just started with Bristol Rovers. 25k transfer budget, basically no backroom staff except coaches. Not a top notch squad.

I would recommend it. I'm actually enjoying it.

Portsmouth.

A little bit of a different request I think...

Nation/ Division: I want a league that is very competitive, where anyone from 3/5 teams have a realistic chance at winning the title.

EC: Preferably no continental football first year.

Other: Average facilities with one or two prospects to nurture. I'd prefer a shorter league too. No summer leagues.

Nation/ Division: I want a league that is very competitive, where anyone from 3/5 teams have a realistic chance at winning the title.

Other: Average facilities with one or two prospects to nurture. I'd prefer a shorter league too. No summer leagues.

Do me proud lads I'm flitting through saves like nobodies business at the minute! I'd like to get started on this tomorrow morning! :)

Do me proud lads I'm flitting through saves like nobodies business at the minute! I'd like to get started on this tomorrow morning! :)

Belgium? Interesting play off system for the title and there's a fair few teams who can win it. Also Genk are a competitive team with no european football first season and Belgian football seems to be doing well for developing youngsters at the moment

Continent : Europe or South America

Division: Top or 2nd tier

Media Prediction: Mid table / avoid relegation

Board Expectation(s): Mid table / avoid relegation

Transfer Budget: N/A

Wage Budget: N/A

Finances: Good. Doesn't have to be super rich but not a huge debt either!

Other: Good youth facilities / prospects / history.

I'm thinking Stuttgart but was seeing if anyone else has any opinions.

Denmark is small, tight, hihgly competitive league that runs autumn/winter/spring. Try Brondby or Nordsjaelland.

Continent : Europe or South America

Division: Top or 2nd tier

Media Prediction: Mid table / avoid relegation

Board Expectation(s): Mid table / avoid relegation

Transfer Budget: N/A

Wage Budget: N/A

Finances: Good. Doesn't have to be super rich but not a huge debt either!

Other: Good youth facilities / prospects / history.

I'm thinking Stuttgart but was seeing if anyone else has any opinions.

Stuttgart would be a solid choice mate. Even Gladbach if you enjoy the German leagues.

West Ham, Southampton, Everton if you're interested in England.

Udinese, Fiorentina, Lazio if you want to manage in Italy.

I'm not too familiar with the South American leagues, but I do know a little about Colo-Colo because of my friend, they could be worth managing in Chile.

Stuttgart would be a solid choice mate. Even Gladbach if you enjoy the German leagues.

West Ham, Southampton, Everton if you're interested in England.

Udinese, Fiorentina, Lazio if you want to manage in Italy.

I'm not too familiar with the South American leagues, but I do know a little about Colo-Colo because of my friend, they could be worth managing in Chile.

I've had a long term save in all the top European leagues apart from Germany so far so I'm tempted to go there. It's either going to be Stuttgart , Gladbach or Rennes I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Continent: Europe

Division: any, looking for a pretty evenly matched division where a number of teams could challenge for the title

Finances: any

Other: I'm basically looking for a club that could finish in the top 6 spots of its league, where competition for these spots is strong. If possible, I'd like some decent youth facilities as well.

Nation: Anywhere outside of England. I always use English teams. Although i would prefer something in Spain, Italy, France or Germany but not a deal breaker if it isnt

European Competition: Doesnt Matter

Media Prediction: Doesnt Matter

Board Expectation(s): Same as above

Transfer Budget: Dont care if bankrupt or not. actually if they are in huge debt might be a better challenge

Finances: Doesnt Matter

Other: Looking for a top youth setup. hasnt won in a while. I also dont mind if they go into Administration in year one.

Bursaspor from Turkey

Nation: Any Asian or Europe

Division: First and second

European Competition: Dont must be

Media Prediction: 5-15

Board Expectation(s): Doesnt matter

Transfer Budget: Dont big

Wage Budget: Dont big

Finances: Dont Big

Other: Looking team who can i create big club from small.

Archived