FM16: What Team Should I Be?

Looking to start a 2. Bundesliga save for the first time who would people recommend; RB Leipzig or Freiburg? I can see the attraction of both and can't decide.

Depends what ideological outlook on football is, to be honest. If you want a football club which revolves around youth development, pick SC Freiburg. If you want a football club with plenty of money yet no history, pick RB Leipzig.

Both are favourites to be promoted in the first season. RB Leipzig goes against many of my ideals, but their definitely an exciting challenge.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nation: doesnt matter

Division: top

European Competition: n/a

Media Prediction: n/a

Board Expectation(s): n/a

Transfer Budget:n/a

Wage Budget: n/a

Finances: broke

Other:haas to be EU. I am looking for the team with the biggest debt that in a top division in a EU nation

Nation: England

Division: Sky Bet Championship, League One, League Two

European Competition: N/A

Media Prediction: N/A

Board Expectation(s): Any

Transfer Budget: Any

Wage Budget: Any

Finances: Any

Other:

As you can see I'm open to any suggestions, the only thing I would like is a side who would be best suited to using a possession orientated 4-2-3-1 system.

Looking for a mid table-ish team with a need for a bit of rebuilding, but having a reasonable youth set up and getting quite a good transfer budget to build with at least after the first season.

Southampton? English clubs are going to have the biggest budgets. Perhaps Swansea? Newcastle? Valencia?

Southampton? English clubs are going to have the biggest budgets. Perhaps Swansea? Newcastle? Valencia?

I forgot mention Southampton are out of the hat. Although they seem quite a perfect fit, I am currently living in Portsmouth so can't stand Southampton :p

Had a save with Valencia a couple of months ago, made it through one season although it all fell apart and ended up finishing 8th after challenging for CL places, bought in a bunch of random youngsters, but as it felt like I went backwards dropping out of Europe I just lost desire for it and quit.

In all fairness, Newcastle in theory should fit the bill. They've got quite a decent first team which is also fairly young, and some great prospects out on loan and in the ranks, although I just can't stand their owner, and isn't Mike Ashley quite tight with funds? How about teams in Europe who are looking for new owners, that could possibly work out for funds?

Nation: Somewhere in Europe, not UK & Ireland

Division: Top/Second

European Competition: Europa League/None

Media Prediction: Mid table

Board Expectation(s): Mid table

Transfer Budget: At least 5-10m

Wage Budget: -

Finances: -

Other: I'm struggling to get into FM this year. I'm looking for a team in Europe with quite a nice squad that I can improve long term and turn them into a force in the UCL. I've been struggling to find a team I like, so i'm open to any suggestions for a fun but challenging save.

I forgot mention Southampton are out of the hat. Although they seem quite a perfect fit, I am currently living in Portsmouth so can't stand Southampton :p

Had a save with Valencia a couple of months ago, made it through one season although it all fell apart and ended up finishing 8th after challenging for CL places, bought in a bunch of random youngsters, but as it felt like I went backwards dropping out of Europe I just lost desire for it and quit.

In all fairness, Newcastle in theory should fit the bill. They've got quite a decent first team which is also fairly young, and some great prospects out on loan and in the ranks, although I just can't stand their owner, and isn't Mike Ashley quite tight with funds? How about teams in Europe who are looking for new owners, that could possibly work out for funds?

My suggestion would be to replace the owner in the data editor and just try Newcastle.

Other: I'm struggling to get into FM this year. I'm looking for a team in Europe with quite a nice squad that I can improve long term and turn them into a force in the UCL. I've been struggling to find a team I like, so i'm open to any suggestions for a fun but challenging save.

Rennes...

I'm basically looking for a club in a league that's not one of the higher reputation leagues that have at least £3m to spend and at least decent youth setup.

You can give Russia a chance. Any of the moscow teams have what you are looking for. If you want to opt with one of the minnows, then Spartak Moscow would be a good choice

Nation: Any (preferably Europe)

Division: Top; maybe second-tier

European Competition: doesn't matter

Media Prediction: A team that's competetive; not necessarily top-tier, but mid table or higher

Board Expectation(s): As long as they aren't strict about the style of football played, not a big deal.

Transfer Budget: See "other"

Wage Budget: See "other"

Finances: Healthy at least

Other: My main save right now is with Athletic Club (as it is every year save FM15). My newgens are coming along nicely, but I'm looking for a team without restriction and I'd like to just mess around and experiment a little; maybe tinker with FMRTE/scouting tools (don't do that on principle in main saves). I'd like a team in Europe that can attract quality youngsters from around the world, and it's a huge plus if they can recruit/develop good youngsters of their own. Also helps if they're lax on team registration rules. This means the team should probably be from an upper-tier Euro nation in their country's top league (not a requirement). I'd like it also if they are not a title challenger but are at least competitive; or are at least not very good in European competition. Not really looking for England/Scotland (work permits) or Germany (the national team thing that I'm too lazy to fix). As far as budgets, a little wiggle room in the wage budget is good so I can re-sign players as needed; as far as transfer budget it won't need to be the highest since I'll largely go after promising youngsters in lesser nations, but something is nice.

Celta? Quality squad but the Big Three to contend with

Nation: Germany

European Competition: Preferrably none

Media Prediction: not a top team in the Bundesliga

Board Expectation(s): Not Important

Transfer Budget: -

Other: Always been a fan of German football, but really not sure which team to choose. Would ideally like to have a few good young german players to build a team in the future around them.

RB Leipzig in the second tier would be good. A very strong team (I rarely see them not win the 2. Bundesliga in the first year) with a sprinkling of young talent such as Davie Selke mean you can have a year to get your side sorted before mixing it with the big boys in the Bundesliga - and you've definitely got the ability to stay in the division and push on.

Does anyone have any experience with the Portuguese League? More specifically Boavista?

I want to know if anyone has played as them or in the portuguese League in general, and maybe could tell about transferbudgets and foreign player rules...

Does anyone have any experience with the Portuguese League? More specifically Boavista?

I want to know if anyone has played as them or in the portuguese League in general, and maybe could tell about transferbudgets and foreign player rules...

I had a long term save with Sporting 2 FM's ago if that helps. I'm sure there is no rule regarding foreign players , which is why Porto, Sporting and Benfica tend to be stacked with foreign talent. Transfer budgets weren't that great when I played so your best bet is to keep finding players you can bring in and churn profit on a few years down the line. Anything else you'd like to know? It may have changed since I last played in the league though.

RB Leipzig in the second tier would be good. A very strong team (I rarely see them not win the 2. Bundesliga in the first year) with a sprinkling of young talent such as Davie Selke mean you can have a year to get your side sorted before mixing it with the big boys in the Bundesliga - and you've definitely got the ability to stay in the division and push on.

Second this, not only do they have a good squad I also managed to capture Andrija Zivkovic and Lincoln to sign in 2017 from Brazil at the start of the game.

I had a long term save with Sporting 2 FM's ago if that helps. I'm sure there is no rule regarding foreign players , which is why Porto, Sporting and Benfica tend to be stacked with foreign talent. Transfer budgets weren't that great when I played so your best bet is to keep finding players you can bring in and churn profit on a few years down the line. Anything else you'd like to know? It may have changed since I last played in the league though.

Best thing about Portugal is its so competitive between the big teams. Because there's only 30 games, every dropped point can kill you

Nation: Europe (not BPL , La Liga , Ligue 1 , Serie A , Bundesliga or Primeira Liga)

Division: Top

European Competition: Not fussed

Media Prediction: Minimum top half , preferbly top 4

Board Expectation(s): See above

Finances: Not a huge amount of debt , but they don't need to be oil rich.

Other : Good history or batch of youngsters / good set & facilities. Maybe in a division where a team has been bossing it for a long time.

I had a Dnipro save in FM10 and it was one of my favourite saves ever so I'm looking for a similar team in a different league.

Off the top of my head the Swiss , Serbian , Norwegian or Turkish leagues look promising. Does anyone have experience in either of these? Or better suggestions

Nation: Europe (not BPL , La Liga , Ligue 1 , Serie A , Bundesliga or Primeira Liga)

Division: Top

European Competition: Not fussed

Media Prediction: Minimum top half , preferbly top 4

Board Expectation(s): See above

Finances: Not a huge amount of debt , but they don't need to be oil rich.

Other : Good history or batch of youngsters / good set & facilities. Maybe in a division where a team has been bossing it for a long time.

I had a Dnipro save in FM10 and it was one of my favourite saves ever so I'm looking for a similar team in a different league.

Off the top of my head the Swiss , Serbian , Norwegian or Turkish leagues look promising. Does anyone have experience in either of these? Or better suggestions

Could be a fluke, but in my current Athletic save (currently in 2020/21 season) I've seen some good newgens coming out of Israel.

Maybe take a look at the Krakow teams (Cracovia and Wisla) in Poland; apparently one of the most intense rivalries in world football. Spartak Moscow in Russia could be interesting for you as well.

Nation: Any (preferably Europe)

Division: Top; maybe second-tier

European Competition: doesn't matter

Media Prediction: A team that's competetive; not necessarily top-tier, but mid table or higher

Board Expectation(s): As long as they aren't strict about the style of football played, not a big deal.

Transfer Budget: See "other"

Wage Budget: See "other"

Finances: Healthy at least

Other: My main save right now is with Athletic Club (as it is every year save FM15). My newgens are coming along nicely, but I'm looking for a team without restriction and I'd like to just mess around and experiment a little; maybe tinker with FMRTE/scouting tools (don't do that on principle in main saves). I'd like a team in Europe that can attract quality youngsters from around the world, and it's a huge plus if they can recruit/develop good youngsters of their own. Also helps if they're lax on team registration rules. This means the team should probably be from an upper-tier Euro nation in their country's top league (not a requirement). I'd like it also if they are not a title challenger but are at least competitive; or are at least not very good in European competition. Not really looking for England/Scotland (work permits) or Germany (the national team thing that I'm too lazy to fix). As far as budgets, a little wiggle room in the wage budget is good so I can re-sign players as needed; as far as transfer budget it won't need to be the highest since I'll largely go after promising youngsters in lesser nations, but something is nice.

Soooo- any suggestions??

Soooo- any suggestions??

I started a save with Hadjuk and I'm enjoying it. You're restricted to playing 5 foreigners at once but it's enjoyble. You can sign a bunch of 16-18 year olds for the first team for next to nothing with the right leagues loaded. They don't get a huge amount of money to start with but you have a bunch of good players worth a bit of money. Vlašić , Kalinić & Sušić all command decent fees , and there are a bunch of good young players in a competitive league.

Nation: Italy, Spain, France, or England

Division: N/A

Board Expectation(s): N/A

Transfer Budget: N/A

Wage Budget: N/A

Finances: N/A

Other: A squad with the potential to surprise. I'd like them to have a good talent base (or at least one really talented player or youngster). Atalanta would fit this profile in FM15, but seeing as I've just had a long save with them, they don't fit the bill on FM16.

Other: A squad with the potential to surprise. I'd like them to have a good talent base (or at least one really talented player or youngster). Atalanta would fit this profile in FM15, but seeing as I've just had a long save with them, they don't fit the bill on FM16.

Disclaimer: I'm really biased.

Athletic Club. Pretty easy to finish top four in season one. With their transfer restrictions and excellent youth setup it's really fun and rewarding to nurture newgens as the game progresses.

Olympique Marseille

Disclaimer: I'm really biased.

Athletic Club. Pretty easy to finish top four in season one. With their transfer restrictions and excellent youth setup it's really fun and rewarding to nurture newgens as the game progresses.

Athletic sound like a nice choice. Still giving it some time, but I just might Los Leones!

It's a real tough one, as Leverkusen also have great youngsters. I checked out both of their finances and Schalke have a lot more money coming into the club.

true, tough call , they both have a lot of exciting youngsters.

Sill i would go for S04 to revive this great club, no offense to Leverkusen but Schalke is a sleeping giant in football history. With them you should win a long awaited Bundesliga in 1-2 years and build to be a force in Europe.

Come on the Royal Blues !

true, tough call , they both have a lot of exciting youngsters.

Sill i would go for S04 to revive this great club, no offense to Leverkusen but Schalke is a sleeping giant in football history. With them you should win a long awaited Bundesliga in 1-2 years and build to be a force in Europe.

Come on the Royal Blues !

Yeah, the finances are great and I agree with you, they have much more history than Leverkusen.

I'm going to pick Schalke :):thup:

Recently finished a season with QPR, made it to the playoffs and lost in the semi final, and since the finances are in turmoil I lost all motivation to continue with it.

Looking for a championship team who have quite a good chance of getting promoted?

I do have a bit of a soft spot for Fulham, although not sure with their squad and the season embargo if they'd be able to get a promotion spot that easily? Although they do have 3 of the best strikers in the league which could work for them I guess...

Otherwise, I'm guessing Hull are fairly nailed on seeing as they have quite a few premier league standard players? Any ideas on Brighton, as Wilson seems to be a beast!

Nation: One of the top 5-6 nations

Division: Top division

Media Prediction: The higher the better.

Other: Looking for one of the best teams in the world who have a squad which it set up for playing a direct style of football so I don't have to buy and sell too many players in the first season. (Is Leicester as good in the game as irl?)

Nation: England

Division: Top division

Media Prediction: Mid-Table

Other: I want to play possesion football.

West Ham or Stoke.

Does anyone have any experience with Hertha Berlin? I want to try a save in the Bundesliga again, after my Dortmund save went bye-bye. So just wanted to know if anyone had anything to say about Hertha. Good or bad.

Does anyone have any experience with Hertha Berlin? I want to try a save in the Bundesliga again, after my Dortmund save went bye-bye. So just wanted to know if anyone had anything to say about Hertha. Good or bad.

Hertha Berlin guide can be revived.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/448643-FM16-Getting-the-capital-to-the-top-Hertha-BSC-Team-Guide?highlight=hertha+berlin

Hi.

Who should I look at? What leagues do not become too easy due to TV money. I have been Blackburn but I got CL football in first season and having budgets of £60mil make me feel the game is unrealistic. Probably Europe but not too brilliant.

Archived