Sports Interactive Community
Batman86

FM16: Manchester United Back in Europe

1st December 2017. Sitting comfortably at the top of the table.

Look at Chelsea. TWO points off the dropzone! 2015/2016 Premier League winners, and runners up last season. Jose was sacked a few months ago and Carlo Ancelotti was brought back in. It's done nothing to improve them.

aujar9.jpg

With regards to my squad, Ander Herrera has been dropped to the Under 21's due to going to the press twice about his lack of first team games. A couple of players in the squad say he isn't deserving of a place, but David de Gea, as you'd expect, thinks he is.

Bastian Schweinsteiger, who's the captain, still wants to leave to head back to Germany. I tried to sell him in the summer but no one came in for him. I told him to look for a new club himself, but then he tells me he's happy to stay, only to come back to me telling me he wants to leave again. His contract is up at the end of the season, and he has no interest in talking about a new one, so he will be leaving on a free transfer.

With Herrera no longer featuring, more game has been afforded to Abdou Lahat Diakhate. I play with 2 CM's - 1 DLP (s) and 1 AP (a). Diakhate can play as both. He's still very young at 18 so will only get better.

2a4zczc.jpg

Paul Pogba is the mainstay in the AP (a) position. If he's fit enough to play, he plays. Simple as that. Tielemans, Diakhate or Andreas Pereira can, and do play there if Pogba isn't playing.

Here are images of these players.

2igkw07.jpg

2n1tagg.jpg

2vns0zt.jpg

Andreas Pereira also plays on the left, as an IF (a), so he's great to have in the squad.

1st December 2017. Sitting comfortably at the top of the table.

Look at Chelsea. TWO points off the dropzone! 2015/2016 Premier League winners, and runners up last season. Jose was sacked a few months ago and Carlo Ancelotti was brought back in. It's done nothing to improve them.

aujar9.jpg

With regards to my squad, Ander Herrera has been dropped to the Under 21's due to going to the press twice about his lack of first team games. A couple of players in the squad say he isn't deserving of a place, but David de Gea, as you'd expect, thinks he is.

Bastian Schweinsteiger, who's the captain, still wants to leave to head back to Germany. I tried to sell him in the summer but no one came in for him. I told him to look for a new club himself, but then he tells me he's happy to stay, only to come back to me telling me he wants to leave again. His contract is up at the end of the season, and he has no interest in talking about a new one, so he will be leaving on a free transfer.

With Herrera no longer featuring, more game has been afforded to Abdou Lahat Diakhate. I play with 2 CM's - 1 DLP (s) and 1 AP (a). Diakhate can play as both. He's still very young at 18 so will only get better.

2a4zczc.jpg

Paul Pogba is the mainstay in the AP (a) position. If he's fit enough to play, he plays. Simple as that. Tielemans, Diakhate or Andreas Pereira can, and do play there if Pogba isn't playing.

Here are images of these players.

2igkw07.jpg

2n1tagg.jpg

2vns0zt.jpg

Andreas Pereira also plays on the left, as an IF (a), so he's great to have in the squad.

would you mind posting your tactics and instructions, please?

Three points between 9th and 18th. Extraordinary. Even more extraordinary is the fact Chelsea are languishing in 17th, and we're in December! Ancelotti, who replaced Mourinho in the summer, has just been sacked. Complete and utter turmoil at that club, which is delightful to see!

mts2g.jpg

Three points between 9th and 18th. Extraordinary. Even more extraordinary is the fact Chelsea are languishing in 17th, and we're in December! Ancelotti, who replaced Mourinho in the summer, has just been sacked. Complete and utter turmoil at that club, which is delightful to see!

mts2g.jpg

Interested to know how you'd got the long club names to be displayed, does my head in everytime I look at the table and see "Man Utd"

Interested to know how you'd got the long club names to be displayed, does my head in everytime I look at the table and see "Man Utd"

I downloaded some real name data file. The only thing I don't like about it is 'Manchester United' is classed as the short name, and 'Manchester United Football Club' is classed as the long name, so when we score, it says "Player x has scored for Manchester United Football Club", and during press conferences, each club mentioned has 'Football Club' included in it. Nit picking, I know, but annoying.

would you mind posting your tactics and instructions, please?

For sure. Here they are.

n2znyp.jpg

Griezmann normally plays on the right with Memphis on the left, but Memphis is out injured at the moment.

20tngua.jpg

Tempo, width and mentality are all changed during the game depending on the score. If I'm 2 goals up against a top 4 team away from home, then I revert to 'standard' and keep the tempo and width the same. If I'm drawing at half time, whether at home or away, then I change the tempo to 'normal' and width to 'wide'. If I'm chasing the game, then I change to 'attacking', 'wide', 'quick' and ask the players to close the opposition 'more'.

So my team is playing like dog ****. I've been sacked twice - and I've never been sacked before. I've tried literally every tactic, and I'm getting hammered by every team. I've even lost 5-0 against teams such as Panathinaikos and Vitesse. I'm 80 hours of playtime into the game and I feel like, that a minute more would be a waste of time.

So my team is playing like dog ****. I've been sacked twice - and I've never been sacked before. I've tried literally every tactic, and I'm getting hammered by every team. I've even lost 5-0 against teams such as Panathinaikos and Vitesse. I'm 80 hours of playtime into the game and I feel like, that a minute more would be a waste of time.

I felt very similar, but managed to go on a 15 game unbeaten run. Loads of draws but ill take it. You need to keep at it. Morale affects the game a lot, switching tactics too often doesn't help either. Set a tactic up, make sure you have a good balance with plenty of support roles and be sure to have a play-maker role. It does get easier but I agree, its very hard at first.

Agreed a deal with Andres Iniesta. He'll sign when his contract with Barcelona expires. An opportune signing, but with Basti leaving on a free transfer come the summer, Iniesta will prove invaluable when it comes to tutoring the likes of Diakhate and Pereira.

xel4x.jpg

68479A186534847A64A70C6B39335782F4338F03

grabbed this guy, had a fussy and greedy agent so took longer to get then I would have liked.

scout found him in the age based leagues at Ipswich

grabbed this guy, had a fussy and greedy agent so took longer to get then I would have liked.

my scouts also found him and this guy:

BZqQF8i.png

that makes 3 of us with Dozzell, he does look good. I agreed a deal to sign him just before the end of the first season. The other lad at Ipswich, Teddy Bishop I think (sorry at work) I

also looks very good.

Getting quite optimistic about Gribben, third season and cover for Mata and he is capped for England. Mentored by Mata, Schweinsteiger, Herrera and currently Fletcher, hopeful thats improved him more.

Getting quite optimistic about Gribben, third season and cover for Mata and he is capped for England. Mentored by Mata, Schweinsteiger, Herrera and currently Fletcher, hopeful thats improved him more.

I've had him tutored by Mata, then developed his weaker foot and got rid of his "Avoids Using Weaker Foot" PPM to make him less predictable for defenders. Absolutely quality the lad, shame my savefile got ruined when a power trip happened while I was saving which corrupted my save file:(

Just finished my first season. I have enabled every nation in my save as playable, however made the mistake that I forgot to switch the game start date wich meant I started 19/12/2014 (Argentina) and had to sim through a lot of months doing not much at all. Did lead to a higher transfer budget though (about 200+ mil wich was kind of huge).

Sold the following players:

6b7223ff87af551158d2846911205e4c.png

Then Brought in Pogba and Marquinhos as my only big transfers (Marquinhos was quite dissapointing though) with two mid tier transfers in Maximilian Meyer (who was injured for half the season) and Barbosa

Did pick up a few nice bargains though:

Zivkovic 3.8m

0c305f415f9b3782d65ed2bbdd90025d.png

Andres Cubas 6.2m

585d004444add458274a2317726e5568.png

Bonazzoli 1.5m

a21d64794bb499e12626a271691125d8.png

Dragowski 7m

ab1bfc2de17caad7f3e3f8aed6d265e0.png

Then later on decided to get some more dept at LB and RB and picked these up (Jorge was amazing after Shaw was out for 4-6 months and the other one just a backup that can play on both sides):

8d4e82f03d2e34004cacda979fc4fb0b.png

20ac8c2d422e4bd547036b0cefeca61f.png

Tried just before the deadline to convice to board to increase my transfer funds wich they did and got Eric Dier who helped me win quite a few games.

ade75972764e4d78c7a98ceb5204d136.png

Also since my game started at the end of 2014 I got 2 regen dates although I only got one nice player in those two dates unfortunatly:

73af92a7b2e713e2bc60ea93fc72f198.png

Ended up winning the league 1 point ahead of Man City:

5ce23ef36d279204738536c7848e1943.png

Plus won the Champions League quite unexpected:

766ae9e53174f9b474a2ba7d4ee40ff6.png

So far my plans for the second season are to bring Eriksen and sell Rooney and Carrick

For all you players who have Martial, what position/role duty do you play him with?

I'm only at 1st October 2015 but so far he has been terrible. From 5(2) appearances (6 as striker) his average rating is 6.45 with 1 assist & 1 goal. He's 2nd choice for me with Rooney first choice...........but so far he just seems absolutely terrible.

In my third season, and must say There are Some really good youth players at Manchester United on FM16 this season. Perreira is a leading player, lingard is an excellent squad player, varela is coming along quite nicely, as is Milinko-savic (the gk). Next season i'll look to incorporate Fosu-Mensah, Gribbin, Wilson and Rashford in the first team, who all look like future United-players. Oh, and I brought back Rafael, Danny Welbeck and Paul Pogba, so you could say that the homegrown-rule isn't actually bothering me ?

I've finished my first season. I didn't do very well at the start, having not played the demo I was getting to grips with the tactics. It was tough for me so I had a barren first season. 3rd in the league, semi finals of the FA Cup and out at the group stage of the CL. I had a unbeaten run of 15 games though in the middle so asked for a new contract after 12 games and I got it! :D

The league looks closer than it was, Chelsea messed up their last few games.

WeaS6Mf.jpg

I bought a fair few players but didn't spend a lot overall, most are young players that will develop over the coming seasons.

I didn't manage to sell Rooney. He got injured at the wrong times. Hopefully be able to get rid when he is fit again.

B9Ojmi4.jpg

Here are some pics of the progress of my better youngsters:

X2kszlq.jpg

KIg4CqC.jpg

3CuXEt4.png

Martial was just starting to score many goals and then got a bad injury.

eKIYJJ5.jpg

Grimaldo is a fantastic back up for Luke Shaw, very positive in his play, always looking to attack and put in a fair few crosses.

WXQTx8V.png

Chambers has mostly played back up for Darmian, but I did give him a run in the team, looks promising.

Phil Jones hasn't had a lot of game time as he keeps moaning, I'm tempted to sell but will struggle with the homegrown requirements if I do sell him and rooney.

Will post again at the start of season 2.

PS: Hopefully these screenshots will work, ive not tried posting screenshots in a long time!

For all you players who have Martial, what position/role duty do you play him with?

I'm only at 1st October 2015 but so far he has been terrible. From 5(2) appearances (6 as striker) his average rating is 6.45 with 1 assist & 1 goal. He's 2nd choice for me with Rooney first choice...........but so far he just seems absolutely terrible.

He took a while to get going for me, partly down to my tactics, I play him up front in a 4-4-1-1 formation as AF-At with a AP-Su behind him and two wingers on attack provide further help. He was smashing in the goals but then got injured and was out for 2 months :(

Edit: Just got this message!

xAIzyZR.png

anyone tried to sign Karim Bellarabi he has a reasonable release clause(even tho its gone up £7m since beta!!!!)...however he has delusions of grandeur when it comes to contract he is on 48k a week and wants £9.5m sign on and 200k a week plus mega bonuses/add ons

not prepared to pay him that just wondered if anyone has signed him had same issue and how did he pan out

I play him on yhe right as an Inside Forward, hes doing well. More consistent than Memphis on the left.

Second season, Capital One Cup Final

3rzsM7W.png?1

The match itself was very one-sided in all honesty,City scored 2 late goals through some rather dodgy defending.

In my beta save I signed him day 1 with a 75 Million Bid but with some better clauses you could get him for less. (I did 30 up front + 30 over 48 months +7.5 for 10 Int Apps + 7.5 for 50 League Apps)

Boss player with AP-A duty and I even use him as a CF-A for fun because I loaned out Wilson and Rooney has injury issues. He has all the attributes to play anywhere across mid and up top. Now starting full save I'm contemplating using him and Herrera as Inside Forwards just to try

I've literally had more bad performances than good ones from Pogba, even including FM15. Played him as AP, RM & B2B.

Here are a few youngsters that I'm trying to develop for the first team.

Ro-Shaun Williams - Has been sent out on loan a couple of times for first team football experience, but isn't really developing that well. He's got time on his side, so I will continue doing all I can, but if I were a betting man, I'd say he'll be sold on in a couple of years' time.

258zg4m.jpg

Timothy Fosu-Mensah - Coming on leaps and bounds and is featuring more in match-day squads. Can play CB and DM, so that allows me to give him more exposure. He'll feature even more for me next season.

21dk5fo.jpg

Ibnu Pakage - A 6"5 seventeen year-old striker. He cost me £800k from Jong Ajax in the summer (2017/2018). He's progressing really well, and will ultimately give me another option as a target man. I'm really excited at how this guy is going to turn out. I hope his aggression will improve. Not too fussed about his agility, as he'd be able to use his strength to hold up the ball, or power his way through defenders.

29njpys.jpg

Yannis Moulin - Eighteen years old, and 6"6. Signed for £900k from Troyes AC. I've high hopes for this fella. With Stones, Kanolas, Smalling, Jones and Fosu-Mensah occupying the CB slots in my squad, I probably won't be able to afford him much game time next season, so a season-long loan will be on the cards to help his development.

j12hs3.jpg

Musa Onuegbu - A £1.2m signing from Lille. At Eighteen years of age, this guy is already a brilliant finisher. He possesses good pace and excellent physical stats, bar his balance. Determination and off the ball movement is also excellent for someone his age. He's just a goalscorer, basically. Lack of teamwork is something I'm hoping improves over time, as well as his passing, but get the ball to him in the box, and he'll score goals.

fuw66u.jpg

Chancel Kalala - One of the youngest players at the club. Arrived in January for £750k from Anderlecht. A couple of years younger than Onuegba, but very, very similar.

2zh04u8.jpg

Saving the best til last. Callum Gribbin - He's just insane. The progress he's making is amazing. Currently coming in for Griezmann on the left as an Inside Forward, and occasionally playing as a left winger. I'm hoping to improve on his finishing, but 6 goals in 7 Premier League starts, and 11 goals in 11 starts overall isn't something I can complain about. He's going to be absolutely class for me!

6qjuqw.jpg

5E90AB63BF18A2128E944C807D9D5F997DBD00D7

had a look around for anyone better using scouting for age/value... couldn't find anyone with stars this high, must have high PA and low CA...

Check out this guy I just signed!

VmqINZM.png

I have high hopes for him!

Cost me £11m could rise to £13m

Target his Positioning and his Composure and you'll be onto a winner.

For sure. Here they are.

n2znyp.jpg

Griezmann normally plays on the right with Memphis on the left, but Memphis is out injured at the moment.

20tngua.jpg

Tempo, width and mentality are all changed during the game depending on the score. If I'm 2 goals up against a top 4 team away from home, then I revert to 'standard' and keep the tempo and width the same. If I'm drawing at half time, whether at home or away, then I change the tempo to 'normal' and width to 'wide'. If I'm chasing the game, then I change to 'attacking', 'wide', 'quick' and ask the players to close the opposition 'more'.

Awesome, thanks. I'm really struggling so I might blatantly copy your settings :(

2017/2018 Season

Community Shield Winners

296f5ua.jpg

Capital One Cup Winners

1zbuszb.jpg

FA Cup Winners

1i61e.jpg

Premier League Champions

a40tpc.jpg

Champions League Winners

28a5lzk.jpg

A simply amazing season capped off by the thumping of Real Madrid, twelve months on from being beaten by Juventus in the final.

Having decided against spending a lot of money last season, I have decided to make a couple of changes in personnel this time around. Chris Smalling has made a move to Tottenham for a fee which I just couldn't turn down. He was playing second fiddle to John Stones and Kostas Manolas, and at 28, I thought the time was right, especially considering Timothy Fosu-Mensah broke into the first team last season.

Ander Herrera, who, after since last Christmas, was part of the reserve team squad was sold to Crystal Palace for £17m.

Hector Bellerin and David Alaba have been brought in for pretty big money - £53m and £47m respectively. I was very light in the fullback positions. Luke Shaw had a couple of injuries that kept him out for quite lengthy patches last season, so Darmian had to fill in for him, which meant Jones was played at right back. Both Bellerin and Alaba were unhappy at their previous clubs, and both will play integral roles in my squad for the forthcoming seasons. Alaba's versatility is a huge plus too!

Andreas Iniesta signed on a free transfer - he was initially going to replace Schweinsteiger, who wanted to go back to Germany throughout the season, but with a few weeks left on his 3 year deal he signed in 2015, he told me he wanted to stay, and I couldn't find it within myself to let him leave. A new contract was signed, and of course, I couldn't cancel the Iniesta deal, so he came in on the 1st July. Both will play back up to Pogba, Tielemans, Pereira, Schneiderlin and Diakhate. They're both of hefty wages for back up players, but money isn't an issue, the club is out of debt now, and they will be fantastic tutors, so I can't really complain.

I've a good pre-season fixture list, with LA Galaxy, Barcelona and Seattle Sounders on my US tour, then two away friendlies at Bayern and Aberdeen, with Ajax at home before the Community Shield against Arsenal. Liverpool are our opponents in the UEFA Super Cup.

Roll on the new season!

Completely lost in this game. I just can't put any run together at all. Lost 7 league games before Christmas.

Whats worse is in about 5 of those I was by far the better team. Double the shots, 3 or 4 clear chances. Sometimes even against 10 men. But the team can't finish off anything.

Constantly hitting the woodwork and conceding in the first minute as well. Even the matches I'm winning are wins pulled out right at the end. Always 2-1.

Have tried so many different tactics and tweaks but nothing works. Only a matter of time until the sack comes!

Completely lost in this game. I just can't put any run together at all. Lost 7 league games before Christmas.

Whats worse is in about 5 of those I was by far the better team. Double the shots, 3 or 4 clear chances. Sometimes even against 10 men. But the team can't finish off anything.

Constantly hitting the woodwork and conceding in the first minute as well. Even the matches I'm winning are wins pulled out right at the end. Always 2-1.

Have tried so many different tactics and tweaks but nothing works. Only a matter of time until the sack comes!

Do you mind posting your formation and team instructions?

This is the only formation which I've had any real success -

2rfats6.png

Instructions:

vii49c.png

I've tried to do a 4-2-3-1 formation, but whenever I do I create nothing and draw nil all. No real change from the standard United squad. Barbosa, Bartra, Murru and Lukaku in.

Try these changes and see how you get on. I'm no tactical expert, but this is how I'd set my team up if I were playing your formation.

Player Roles

- Set Bastian Schweinsteiger as a Deep Lying Playmaker on Defend duty.

- Set Juan Mata as an Advanced Playmaker on Support duty.

- Set Anthony Martial as an Advanced Forward

Team Instructions

- Width set to fairly wide (By playing wider, you'll be able to use your wingbacks much better)

- Closing down set to 'less' (your team will look to keep its shape when the opponent has the ball)

- Look to exploit the flanks. If you wish to leave this unchecked, then use this option during games you're struggling it at least.

- Set your team to look for the overlap (your width comes into play here. Your wingbacks will provide the width, and will cause trouble for the teams you're playing against)

- Set the crosses to be aimed at the far post.

See how you get on doing this. Let me know!

Opening day of the new Premier League season...

28mfjpe.jpg

Callum Gribbin got me 10 goals in 13(8) league appearances last season. Andreas Pereira scored 3 league goals in the whole of last season. Both developing really nicely, especially the former.

DCBEFAEBAD8ADB1CEC9B496836443A2ACE95385A

Wayne Rooney is getting close to Sturridge levels of injury proneness.

If anyone needs anymore convincing that Rooney needs to go, this might be the picture for it:D

Honestly, he is only ever one serious injury away from being completely worthless to the team and he has a contract to 2019 on a ridiculous salary. His low Professionalism, coupled with his Natural Fitness being a hardly inspiring 12 simply won't allow him to comeback from a big one.

Opening day of the new Premier League season...

28mfjpe.jpg

Callum Gribbin got me 10 goals in 13(8) league appearances last season. Andreas Pereira scored 3 league goals in the whole of last season. Both developing really nicely, especially the former.

Gribbin:cool:

Mate can you PM me the link where you downloaded the long clubs name fix, I can't seem for the life of me find it anywhere.

Gribbin:cool:

Mate can you PM me the link where you downloaded the long clubs name fix, I can't seem for the life of me find it anywhere.

I've tried PMing you twice, mate. I'm out so I'm using my phone, but it doesn't seemed to have worked. Try PMing me and I'll see if a reply gets sent.

Does it bother anyone else that the teams in the screenshot above are in all capitals despite everything else in this game being in proper case?

Also, can anyone recommend me a tactical setup for the following lineup, i'd like to use 4-2-3-1 wide with plenty of possesion.

De Gea

Mario Fernandes

Shaw

Smalling

Rojo

James Rodriquez

Memphis

Schweinsteiger

Pogba

Mata

Rooney

Been trying to perfect my tactics and ive hit a bit of a brick wall having read so much, not sure where to start now.

Try these changes and see how you get on. I'm no tactical expert, but this is how I'd set my team up if I were playing your formation.

Player Roles

- Set Bastian Schweinsteiger as a Deep Lying Playmaker on Defend duty.

- Set Juan Mata as an Advanced Playmaker on Support duty.

- Set Anthony Martial as an Advanced Forward

Team Instructions

- Width set to fairly wide (By playing wider, you'll be able to use your wingbacks much better)

- Closing down set to 'less' (your team will look to keep its shape when the opponent has the ball)

- Look to exploit the flanks. If you wish to leave this unchecked, then use this option during games you're struggling it at least.

- Set your team to look for the overlap (your width comes into play here. Your wingbacks will provide the width, and will cause trouble for the teams you're playing against)

- Set the crosses to be aimed at the far post.

See how you get on doing this. Let me know!

How do you need to aim crosses at the far post? I can't find it in the updated interface

Bit of an odd one, has anyone else had issues against teams who have had a player sent off?

Three times this season the opposition have had a player sent off at a reasonably early time in the game (twice around 30 mins, once around 60). In all three occasions my team has failed to take advantage. In the most recent one, I was one up when they went to ten men and controlling the game. After the red card they scored twice and I had to score a late equaliser. Never got close to getting a winner.

Doesn't seem to make a difference if I try to shut down the game or go for the kill, once they lose a man, my team just stops playing.

1st game of the 3rd season and a very nice start, hopefully a sign of how the season is going to develop.

fRSHa03.png?10AUn4rQ.png?1