FM16: Manchester United Back in Europe

Batman86

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost all my 3 weeks worth of work on transforming my Man Utd side because of a bug, so I had to start again :( I've learnt to save much more often this time haha!

After a disappointing first game away to West Brom which we drew (2-2) only just, thanks to goals from new boys Jagielka and Drinkwater, I knew my tactic I had envisioned and built just wasn't going to cut the mustard. Next up was a big step up in opposition with the only consolation of it being at Old Trafford, but against Liverpool under the fierce tutelage of Mr.Klopp!

I decided to switch my ideas entirely and go for a 4-3-3 formation (as opposed to my 4-1-1-3-1 formation), using 3 central midfielders, 3 strikers and 2 marauding wing backs. The tactic translates onto the pitch as a fast paced forward thinking type of movement, exploiting the middle of the park with my 3 central midfielders and creating the width with the marauding full backs and 2 wide strikers (they are just strikers but seem to roam out to the wings).

It may only be early days, but you have to remember that I have just caused upset within the squad on some of the players I've let go and the lower standard players I've brought in, but the results of this tactic were devastating and humiliating for my opponent!

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-3_zps1b4ptnsn.png

Man%20Utd%20v%20Liverpool_%20Overview%20Overview_zpsjfaznzo1.png

Has anyone tried selling Mata for big money? If so what sort of big money, because Madrid just came in with a £55m bid, and I'm contemplating whether to bite their hand off or tell them to sod off.

I've not tried selling him yet, but he has been gaining interest throughout the pre-season. Seems to have vanished now though... Are you still in season 1?

Has anyone tried selling Mata for big money? If so what sort of big money, because Madrid just came in with a £55m bid, and I'm contemplating whether to bite their hand off or tell them to sod off.

Sold him to Barcelona at the end of the first season. 73 Million Euros with an extra 15 on top if he makes another 10 international appearances. Too good an offer to refuse.

I've not tried selling him yet, but he has been gaining interest throughout the pre-season. Seems to have vanished now though... Are you still in season 1?

Season 2, I'm game for a swap with James Rodriguez as from what my best scouts tell me he is every bit as good as Mata, but more versatile as Mata can play AM(RLC), J-Rod plays M/AM(RLC). Can't see Madrid accepting that though. I might just hold out for a £80m bid as Mata has not kicked up a fuss about it.

Season 2, I'm game for a swap with James Rodriguez as from what my best scouts tell me he is every bit as good as Mata, but more versatile as Mata can play AM(RLC), J-Rod plays M/AM(RLC). Can't see Madrid accepting that though. I might just hold out for a £80m bid as Mata has not kicked up a fuss about it.

Straight swap for Ronaldo :)

In anticipation of the big kickoff tomorrow, what's the verdict on Rooney? I know some have transferred him out immediately but I'm guessing others have stuck with him. I did, but still not sure it's the right decision. He's close to the top of my scoring charts - second behind Memphis - but half of his eight goals have been penalties, his performances have been usually been average, and when he isn't average he's just poor.

The two questions remaining are whether you can get anything like proper value for him, and whether he might be better in the AMC position as a shadow striker. My coaches rate him best there, but when I've tried him, he hasn't been any better. So, is it me and my tactics, or is it time to let him go?

In anticipation of the big kickoff tomorrow, what's the verdict on Rooney? I know some have transferred him out immediately but I'm guessing others have stuck with him. I did, but still not sure it's the right decision. He's close to the top of my scoring charts - second behind Memphis - but half of his eight goals have been penalties, his performances have been usually been average, and when he isn't average he's just poor.

The two questions remaining are whether you can get anything like proper value for him, and whether he might be better in the AMC position as a shadow striker. My coaches rate him best there, but when I've tried him, he hasn't been any better. So, is it me and my tactics, or is it time to let him go?

I would elect to get rid, his personality is poor so he isn't good for tutoring youngsters, his wages are absurd relative to his performances and he usually will moan about almost everything. And since he is also captain, him moaning = potential disaster for squad morale.

I already started a game with ManUtd in the beta. Have there been any changes to the data due to which I'd need to restart now the full version is out?

Just won the Club World Championship in my second season and my flat 4-3-3 is coming along nicely, so I'd rather not.

Starting my game tonight :thup:. Think I might just go for a CB and a ST in the first transfer window. Hopefully sell a few players, Rooney being one of them. Will be promoting some youth as well to see if any of them can make the grade.

Why every year it seems so hard to set up a proper 4231, already tired many things at the back but its leaky like hell: trough ball between dc, full back loosing his man or long ball on the wings and caught by a swinged cross -_-

Anyone having sucess with full release?

Not been wanting to concentrate on a full time save until today (full release) but have tried about 7-8 new Man Utd saves to see what works and what doesn't.

As it happens my first save was most probably the better one of the bunch and this was due to me not buying in too many new players, in fact I only purchased an additional left back (Robertson from Hull) and got on with it from there. The team were top of the league and playing very well.

All the other saves I have sold and brought many more players in to the team and this just didn't seem to work well for the team. No one seemed to know what they were doing so going to try out a new full time Man Utd save today to see how I get on. Needless to say I am only going to buy two players tops and bank the remaining money until the start of 2nd season and see where I go from there.

Like others though I have struggled with a 4-2-3-1 formation for the most part, again though this was not a problem in my first save. Coincidence?

im starting the real save tonight, but ive used a 4231 in the beta and been doing well. gk, fbs on auto, bpd (stopper) and limited cb (cover) at the back. schmidfield of dlp (defend) and b2b (support), then wingers on support (sometimes change one to inside fw) am on attack with a complete frwd up front. whole team is attacking with rigid positions, retain possession and play wide on the overlap. basically trying to do a louis and it does well for me anyway.

Same thing Axehan1; currently finding defenders can not tackle or have any will to chase after a forward who is running onto a ball, fall backs who do not know what they are doing, a mid field who can not pass the ball about without losing it and forwards who for the most part can only score from long range.

Have tried numerous tactics and set ups, restarted the game a couple of times with new set up and tactical ideas and still the same.

Think there are still a few issues to be ironed out.

Quick update on the 4231 formation I was using in the beta. Five leagues games in. Five league wins. Started with a super dicey 4-3 at home over Everton then kept three clean sheets in a row. Edged through the Big Cup POs against Sporting on away goals (so so tense), then won again in the league to go top after five games. Formation seems to be holding up, but it certainly isnt as water tight as it was in the beta, but I still reckon it should be good with a little tweaking in the big games. Sold Rooney. Didnt want to until January, but he was in super Ahole mode so 27m to Arsenal, replaced with Bernardo Silva, who looks awesome at 21 (age and price).

For the transfers then, Rooney (27) Fellani (20 lol to PSG) and Valdes (2) all leave. In comes Rajkovic (4, then out loaned to Torino), Chambers (17), B Silva (21), B Embolo (15) and someone I have never heard of but I could pick up cheap and my scouts like (I am still 50/50 if he will make it). Any thoughts on Victor Camarasa for 9m? Bit of a gamble but I couldnt get any of my primary CM targets this window.

Same thing Axehan1; currently finding defenders can not tackle or have any will to chase after a forward who is running onto a ball, fall backs who do not know what they are doing, a mid field who can not pass the ball about without losing it and forwards who for the most part can only score from long range.

Have tried numerous tactics and set ups, restarted the game a couple of times with new set up and tactical ideas and still the same.

Think there are still a few issues to be ironed out.

Okay so 24 hours later and a clearer head i'm(hopefully) getting a better grasp of things.It seems i was too cavalier with my wingbacks, which was leaving massive gaps down the flanks that the opposition were exploiting to devestating effect.

My tweaked formation has now developed into this

Hh0Twj7.png?1

More solid at the back, but still prone to the odd brain fart from certain players.Solid in midfield with 2 holding mids and plenty of creativity and goal threat up front.

Lacking aerial presence though so this guy is coming in in the summer

Y40FD8y.png?1

What kind of staff are people picking up?

Finding it hard to get in good coaches

Got rid of all senior staff and physios

I have 5* attacking for myself since those are the hardest to find.

Simone Montanaro - Tactics 4.5/5*

Gianni Vio - Shooting 4.5*, you can only get him by September.

Denis Bergkamp - Ball Control 4.5* Aston Villa seem to hire Frank De Boer after which he's available

Flavio Tenus, David Coles - 4.5* GK Handling and Shot Stopping

Scott Piri, Antonio Pintus - 5* Fitness

Jaap Stam - 5* Def

Phil Cannon - 4* Everything to lighten workload

For Assistant Managers I've experimented with Seppo Eichkorn, Baresi and currently am using Rudy Heylen.

Since we don't have a head of youth Dev, I go for Robert Samaden from Inter

For Physios - David Fevre - Head, Nick Worth, Mark Taylor, Uwe Vetter and Vincent Schinkel

Scouts - Ricardo Pecini as Chief, team is quite strong as it is, you can hire John Steen Olsen from Ajax to beef up your Scandinavian knowledge and Tolis Apostolou for South Europe

Bernhard Peters as HOYD, or anyone with a good personality type, no point having balanced or negative personality type as it will influence your influx of youth. Peters has a model professional personality type, fits in well. Personality type is the main reason i bring back Scholes and G Neville, they lighten the load on my training, while having good personality types and can develop.

I steal Roma's Bruce Conti and Walter Sabatini for HOYD and DOF. Their stats seem pretty much perfect. In FM15 I use to buy Milan's Mauro Tassotti as an ass man but I've been using Joe McLaughlin this version since Mauro hasn't wanted to leave Milan yet.

I also keep Blind, Rojo, Rooney, Jones and Fellaini as tutors. Rojo, Phil Jones and Fellaini get to many red cards. Rooney is just to difficult to keep happy.

I've started over a few times in the beta but Pione Sisto and Erik Sviatchenkois are good buys and play well for me. They both have release clauses so you can pick em up for cheap if you are quick. Barbosa and Malcolm are more longer term buys for me, hoping they pay off, most saves they dominate from the go.

Just got to the November international break, and pretty happy with the way things are going. Sitting top of the Prem, one point ahead of City. Got rid of Rooney before the season started (£25m to Chelsea where he promptly did his knee ligaments and missed the first two months!) Brought in Ayoze from Newcastle - he's bagged 9 goals in 12 starts; Memphis leads the scoring chart with 12 in 15, and Martial and Mata have chipped in with 8 and 6, respectively.

Defensively, I brought in Bartra (finally managed to get him on the minimum release) but he hasn't been brilliant - maybe the first-season syndrome. And Matthew Targett has been a good buy as backup to Shaw. Old favourite Lucas Romero is providing solid backup in midfield, although I need another player there (Fellaini went to PSG for £18.5)KCzAFcz.jpg.

9fNJhTG.jpg

Away games haven't got any easier in this game, especially against the top clubs. But I guess that's how it should be.

game is starting to be frustrating.. conceded a pen when the opposition player was outside the area.. that after conceding to a farcical defencive mistake.. smalling heads to backwards about 6 foot.. at 3-0 up and dominating that stuff gets very annoying, especially given the game before...

yea this was the first game

00042393D78D104EFE7F315F3A2791DD7E433996

oh and Martial is a machine

6354C881D340B62DB183D75ECB42D9155AC95B9A

I started a United save, just whilst I get my head around the new game and create a solid tactic, finding it quite easy, but with the odd random heavy defeat sandwiched in-between long runs of great form.

Conceding odd silly goals, which from what I can tell, isn't a particular fault of the tactic, seems to come from fullback positioning and poor defending, like when a defender can easily clear the ball but doesn't. I think I'll wait for patch before really getting stuck into a proper save.

Alaba for £43m at the start was a brilliant signing though.

Scott, I guess you're playing Martial up front with that goal return. Mind if I ask what role? I've played him IFL-A and CF-S and can't decide where he's better, but leaning towards the wide-left position. Might have to give him a good run at striker and see what happens.

December 13 - unlucky for some. Liverpool just sacked Klopp as they lie in 15th position.

Second half of November turned bad for me, too. Ayoze and Mata injured for 3-4 weeks, and we've lost away to Everton, away to Norwich (!!) and scraped an ugly 2-2 draw at home to Palace. Relinquished 1st place to City. Martial hasn't performed up front replacing Ayoze, and the defence is suddenly leaking goals. Frustration abounds!

is anyone else finding it really hard?

Mmm. Two days ago, I'd have said no, rather easy actually. Then reality kicked in. I think there are subtleties to the match engine that will take some time to figure out. I also have a feeling that the AI is rather more adaptive than in FM15. Last year it seemed like if you were successful, the AI team would simply park the bus and you had to find a way to score against an ultra-defensive tactic. This year it seems trickier - I think I'm seeing less bus-parking, but teams are still harder to beat. Not sure if I'm happy about that or not :p.

So in the first seaosn the board expects us to win the league, no way to adjust that expectation after the 16.1 patch. What are you guys' experience with this, will I be fired if I dont win the league in the first season, but only challenge for it?

I am not sure whether the game is necessarily harder this year or if i should maybe listen to a fair amount of people that are complaining that the ME is not great and therefore making it not as playable as previous versions. Im not one to complain about the state of the ME so to be honest having tried plenty of my own tactics without success i thought for the time being and to get used to the game id have a look around.

Over on FM Base there is a tactic called Predator FM16 (version 7 i am using) and my Man Utd side is flying using this. Im not a big fan of our wingers IRL (valencia & young) so this tactic plays without them which i think fits the squad quite well once you buy one or 2 additional DC and play the likes of Mata in his favoured AMC position. Memphis plays very well as a false nine in this tactic as does martial and rooney.

I have so far gone until the 1st Feb and i am unbeaten in the league using this. some hard fought games in there and i have lost in cup and champions league matches so definitely not unbeatable.

for those struggling and maybe wanting to wait for further patches it may be worth a try to see how you go.

If you fancy spending big on 2 DC then i can highly recommend both Laporte and Rugani. They will set you back between £25-£35.5m each but they are young, very good and IMO money well spent. Robertson from Hull is a good back up LB as well if you can get Barcelona to give you £40m for Blind!!!!

i have spent about £140m in my first season but have recouped over £70m in player sales (valdes 1.5m, romero 3m, young 13m, fellaini 17.5m, carrick 1m, blind 40m plus some youngsters).

Edit: Latest result 6-0 win at home vs chelsea. Memphis has now scored 15 goals between 9th Dec and 2nd Feb (10 starts).

Enjoying this. Just got in to February first season, Liverpool top, me (United) and Chelsea are 2 points behind them and then Spurs are 1 point behind us. It's tight to say the least.

Made quite a few changes. Sold Rooney, Fellaini, Young, Valencia in the summer then Blind and Smalling in January, not really sure why.

I signed Barbosa, Dragovic, Chambers, Sisto and Galloway + a few other youngsters.

Current team:

de Gea

Darmian/Chambers Galloway Jones/Rojo Shaw

Schneiderlin

Carrick/Schweinsteiger

Sisto Mata/Herrera Memphis

Barbosa/Martial

Really need to strengthen the midfield, I expect a lot from my CM and therefore need somebody that has got the legs for the job. Any recommendations?

Also, Calum Gribbin is great!

well i started again due to my sacking.

im using 2 downloaded tactics and one of my own creations. so far so good. played 7 won 6 lost 1 (4-2 away at cska)

im not very good tactically andsomehow im unable to see what is happening during the game and how to adjust to what i think is playing out.

just played Bournemouth at home which i won. they had 7 shots with 5 of them being clear cut chances. how do i stop this from happening? i know i have to make changes during the game but i have no idea which ones etc

Q1gvtF5.png

Just approaching March in the first season. Summers signings were Abdou Lahat Diakhate, Jake Hesketh, Breel Embolo, Youri Tielemans, and Greek centreback, Kostas Manolas. Reece Oxford arrived in January for £5m.

A very poor start to the season saw my team lose the opening game to Arsenal, draw the second game against Everton, and get knocked out of the Champions League qualifiers by Lazio. A 0-1 defeat at home, followed by a 1-4 thrashing in Italy.

Twenty six games played in the Premier League. Chelsea are top with 62 points, with us in second place on 56 points, with Arsenal and Manchester City in third and fourth, with 48 and 46 points respectively.

Luke Shaw, Breel Embolo, Anthony Martial and Memphis have been my best players so far this season. Shaw is a monster as a complete wingback on attack duty. Martial has 28 goals in 27 starts with 9 sub appearances. Memphis has 18 goals in in 34 games.

Knocked out of the FA Cup at the hands of Sunderland away in the 5th round, which saw Rooney fined for a poor performance - I am definitely selling him in the summer.

A tie against Dnipro in the second knockout round in the Europa League 'should' see me progress further in that competition.

Tried blooding some youngsters this season. Lingard's started 10 games, scored 4 goals, has 5 assists and 1 PoM award, so that's pleasing. Andreas Pereira - 13 starts, 4 goals, 3 assists and 3 PoM's, which is pleasing too. James Wilson has 7 goals in 4 starts, with 13 sub appearances.

Currently playing a 4-1-1-3-1 formation. Schneiderlin as DM, with Basti, Herrera and Tielemans rotating in CM as DLP's. Embolo/Lingard on the right as wingers, with Mata behind Martial as the AP, and Memphis on the left as an IF, with Pereira and Lingard coming in for him from time to time.

This isn't my preferred formation. I do favour a 4-1-2-2-1, or 4-3-3, however you wish to interpret it, with a DM, 2 CM's, 2 wide players and a lone striker, but the form of the team was terrible with this formation, so I will be looking to bring in the players who will allow me to go with this from next season.

Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young, Michael Carrick and Wayne Rooney will definitely leave the club. Depending on how the summer goes, Juan Mata MAY be allowed to leave, as I don't like him out wide, and I don't plan on playing a central attacking midfielder.

Iver Fossum will be arriving, with a transfer already agreed. He'll be a part of my pre-season squad, and depending on how he does, a loan move will be arranged.

Adnan Januzaj will be given a chance next season, which will mean I will have him, Embolo, Memphis, Lingard and Pereira as my wide players, as well as Callum Gribbin, who will definitely be promoted to the first team in the summer, so I'm not sure whether to spend big on a wide player to play as an IF on the left.

On the lookout for a backup RB, so if anyone has a name, let me know. John Stones and Paul Pogba are the two players I will seriously look to bring in. I've been scouting them all season, so hopefully I can get these in.

The title is looking a little out of reach, but we'll keep plugging away. City away is next up, so hopefully I can do the double over them and consolidate 2nd place very soon!

Started a ManU game. Bought Javi Martinez and Moussa Dembele. Spent all of the budget on this two players. Didn't sell anyone.

I've been struggling on this FM to create a useful tactic, but here I've managed and maybe I'm on to something with 4-1-2-2-1.

De Gea - Shaw, Martinez, Smalling, Darmian - Schniederlin,Schweini,Dembele - Depay,Mata-Rooney

5 games in the PL, I have 4 wins and a draw. Won against Fener in CL quals and got Barca,Roma and Galatasaray. Not an easy group ,eh?

First game at Camp Nou, I've parked the bus and managed a 1-1 draw by having one shot on goal against Barca's 27 :lol:

Of younger players I'm planning on using Pereira as a sub for Mata, Martial as a sub for Depay ,Wilson as a sub for Rooney and mybe McNair as a sub for Schneiderlin in some easy games.

I had a problem with injurieas in defence with Martinez,Shaw,Jones and Smalling all out with injuries.

Archived