FM16: Manchester United Back in Europe

Managed to work a £60m deal for Paul Pogba to come at the start of season 2. Just debating if I wish to spend that sort of money.

Spose it not really a decision, but still i find myself debating it!

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What site do people use for uploading screenshots?

Yeah, the deal got cancelled because i delayed a 2nd time and they didnt like me doing that. So I waited another month or so and put in another equivalent bid and he will come to me at the end of the season.

1st season has been incredible after the poor start. But just had a surprise. Injuries and an upcoming CL semi final with Chelsea led me to playing Callum Gribbin as in AMR - inside forward in the FA Cup Semi Final against West Brom. He scored a debut brace in a 6-2 away victory ... with that I decided that I would leave him in the team for the Chelsea match.

So it was his European debut in a ECL semi final vs Chelsea @ Stamford bridge. 7 minutes into the game and he became the youngest ever Champions League scorer. No idea if he can keep it up, but guess I need to keep him around the fringes of my team for now and see how it goes.

Nice result there Scott, just hope I get to play in it.

Got a cup final against Bayern Munich in 8days time, after the FA cup final against Spurs. Hoping to get a clean sweep in the first season built on the back of a strong defense (Conceeded just 21 in league, De Gea had 22 clean sheets). Most my injured players have returned just in time for the 2 cup finals, only Jorge is still out injured but he "may" make it back in time for the ECL final and get a place on the bench

Started a new Manchester United save with the latest fan made transfer and league updates pack. I've decided to put a lot of effort into this save and actually go into massive detail in my management of the team, from scouting, to training, to tutors, to focus on bringing through youth, all the way to tactics!

My tactic will be inspired by Mourinho's style of play as I will look to re-create the tactic he used with his treble winning side Inter! There will be a few tweaks here and there, but mostly it will hopefully replicate it. I've never really been good at creating a tactic, never really having much success, so it will be very interesting to see how this pans out!

Transfers Out

Will Keane

Antonio Valencia

Daley Blind

James Wilson

Ashley Young

Juan Mata

These are the main players I will be looking to offload at this current time, although more could follow as I look to transform this squad into a title wining side!

Transfers In

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Miroslav Klose

Ronaldinho Gaucho

Alexandre Lacazette

Luciano Vietto

Rodrigo Palacio

Marek Hamsik

Oscar

Danny Drinkwater

I won't be signing all these players, but these are the ones on my wish list at the moment. Ibrahimovic, Vietto, Lacazette and Hamsik are the main focus.

Just starting my Pre-Season 2 clear-out of my team and trying to figure out what I want to do with everyone, Rooney is the big problem as with Pogba coming he loses the midfield role and even though he retrained as a DM he really isnt the best player for that role.

Offers on the table atm.

Schweinsteiger - £22.5m Juventus .. Deal Agreed. Contract accepted

Blind - £29.25m to Barcelona ... Deal Agreed. Contract accepted

The current Debate:

Rooney - £24m Athletico Madrid - Contract offered. Doesnt feel enough money but massive wage would be removed and could find a more suitable DM that would rotate/replace Schneiderlin. Hell I would even be tempted to use Fosu-mensah in easy cup games and see how he comes along as that will please the Board. Herrara retraining to DM also a final possibility. Oh wait, contract negiotiations with Laporte are currently going on. Liverpool went in with the £35.5m buyout so I was forced to move before I was sure it completely what I wanted, he would make a great DM if retrained.

More I think about it, the more I think I should just let Rooney go.

Finished the first season with a domestic treble. For a long time we were on course to get record points in the prem but poor form towards the end of the season meant we finished on 88 points, 11 ahead of Arsenal in 2nd. Beat Leicester in the league cup final and Sheffield Wednesday(!) in the FA cup final. In champions league we finished second in the group behind Juve, level on points but drew and lost the games against them so they finished higher. Drew Real on the first knockout round and went out on away goals, 2-2 at home and 0-0 away.

Pogba got player of the season and goal of the season, Felipe Anderson got player's player and De Gea golden glove. But this guy was the surprise of the season:

Kylian%20Mbappeacute_%20Overview%20Profile-2_zpsupaxkb7s.png

Didn't plan on using him in the first season but got his chance because of injuries and did really well. Finished the season with 12 goals and 4 assists in 16 starts and 8 from the bench as a W/S at AMR. And some really important goals too, equalizer vs. Leicester in the FA cup semi to take us to extra time, also scored his pen in the shootout, and the 3-1 goal in extra time to seal the final.

For the next season, I'm going to ditch my first season's tactics and instead go with a flat 4-5-1. I've been meaning to experiment with it but haven't gotten around to that yet, so will give it a go now. Will probably end up selling and buying several players, that's what usually happens every single summer in any FM save :D

Looks like I might finally be getting into a new United save I've been meaning to do since the update came out. Initially I went with a 4-2-4-0 system, but ended up with a pretty unorthodox 3-3-3-1 after being disappointed with the raumdeuter role on the left.

th_Manchester%20United_%20%20Overview_zpsraq67gnu.png

th_Manchester%20United_%20%20Overview-2_zpsyke1jypp.png

Has worked very well so far, only 8 games into the season but 6 wins, one draw (2-2 to Arsenal at home after having been 2-0 ahead) and one defeat (2-1 to CSKA away in the second qualifying leg, having won 2-0 at home). I need to be more careful with protecting leads, other than that it's going great. Pogba, Mata and Martial the best players so far.

One particular highlight so far, his first start after coming off the bench in the previous game:

John%20Cleese_%20%20Inbox_zpskgu50u4b.png

I like the look of your tactic! Always been a fan of unorthodox set ups. Do you have any PI's?

I like the look of your tactic! Always been a fan of unorthodox set ups. Do you have any PI's?

Always do :)

GK: Distribute to playmaker, take short kicks

DMCR: Mark tighter, get further forward, more risky passes

DMCL: Close down much less

AMR: Shoot less often

AMCR: Shoot less often, dribble more, move into channels

AMCL: Hold up ball

STCL: Shoot less often

If you plan to try it out, I've got a couple of problems for you to solve. First the obvious one, the left side is quite vulnerable and lot of teams use an attacking right back, which will cause issues. In some matches I've dropped the LWB to the LB position and used FB/S role, also tried using the AMCL to specifically mark the opposition RB, both worked to some extent. The second problem is the AMCL. I mainly used Schweini and Herrera in this position, both quite often got rather poor ratings. I suspect it's mainly because the playmaker role means they see a lot of the ball and because of the hold up ball instruction they get tackled and lose the ball quite a lot. Tried removing the hold up ball instruction and/or using other roles (AP/A and AM/S) but didn't really solve the issue.

Talking of dirty. As rooney turned down the contract offer that would have got him away from me (lucky thing given my list of injuries! ) he has been played as DM and retraining there.... and he picked up yellow card after yellow card.

I thought the first season was bad when he played in the CM role most the time, with 43 appearances he picked up 22 yellow cards... so far in the 2nd season he already on 21 yellows in just 30 appearances!

Here's a first:

John%20Cleese_%20%20Inbox-3_zps568rytke.png

I've signed him a couple of times before, but he's always cost me 200 million. Chelsea missed out on top four on goal difference on the last day of the season (:lol:) and he wanted to leave. Wasn't transfer listed but unhappy, which probably made Chelsea more open to a transfer. Suggested 50m in June but Chelsea replied with about 300m, went back for him in August after Bayern bid for Memphis and got a pretty good deal.

Whew, what an awful, awful start to the season. 4 league games gone, 1-1 draw at home vs Watford with Butland in their goal playing a blinder, 0-2 defeat at Liverpool, 1-0 home win vs. Sunderland and 0-3 defeat at Arsenal. Hasn't helped that several players, including both 1st and 2nd choice RW:s and a couple of other starters, have been away at the Olympics and are just coming back. But regardless some really appalling results. Ugh. Thankfully got an easy draw in the champions league which is about to start next. Hopefully we'll start playing as well...

What is the best position for Martial?

- Inside Forward (Attack)

- Complete Forward (Attack)

I'd like to learn your experiments. Which position suits better for him?

After having a record of W2, D2 and L2 in the league with 3 goals scored and 6 conceded I decided to change to 433 (or 4123dm, whatever you want to call it) before the whole season goes completely fubar. As a result, apart from an extra time defeat vs. Liverpool in the league cup we've won six on the trot with a goal difference of 16-2, including 2-0 wins at Leicester and Man City. And, having been around 15th when I made the change we're now 2nd on goal difference. Funny how much of a difference that change made despite the shape being essentially the same. A CM/D in the center of a midfield 3 pulled back to DM/D and MR and ML pushed forward to AM and left wing role changed from WM/A to IF/A, keeping right wing as W/S. And it literally is like watching a completely different team. Maybe I just don't know how to use the 451 properly, I'm not sure.

Whats kante like on the update on FM16 starting a MUFC save for myself and looking at getting new CM's in

I'm not sure if it's a random attribute for him but according to my scouts in my current save he's poor in important matches. "Doesn't feel comfortable in big matches" with an orange icon. That alone would be enough for me to look elsewhere. What type of midfielder are you looking for?

someone with lots of energy who can break up play

Anything in particular about Schneiderlin you don't like? Tackling 18, work rate 18, stamina 19 - sounds like the type you're looking for. Was very good for me in the first season.

Me, I'd sign Pogba for just about any midfield role apart from a purely defensive one (anchor man, half back etc). This year's FM I've used him as a regista, box-to-box, roaming playmaker and CM/A and he's been excellent in every role. Last year's FM he was my go-to guy for BWM/S and he was excellent in that role as well.

Anything in particular about Schneiderlin you don't like? Tackling 18, work rate 18, stamina 19 - sounds like the type you're looking for. Was very good for me in the first season.

Me, I'd sign Pogba for just about any midfield role apart from a purely defensive one (anchor man, half back etc). This year's FM I've used him as a regista, box-to-box, roaming playmaker and CM/A and he's been excellent in every role. Last year's FM he was my go-to guy for BWM/S and he was excellent in that role as well.

dont think morgan has enough pace for me

dont think morgan has enough pace for me

I'm not sure how many better options there are if you have high demands for work rate and ball winning skills. At least not many who are available at the start of the game. I bought Bazoer at the start of the game as a backup to Schneiderlin, he's done well enough so far playing mainly as a DM/D. He's only 18 at the start of the game so will become home grown as well. Although he's not very fast, not a very good tackler and doesn't have a very high stamina either. :lol:

That being said, Kante looks class apart from the important matches thing, and again I'm not sure if that's a random attribute for him, I suppose it's possible. But is he available at the start of the game? Hasn't he just joined Leicester?

Top performers in this years champions league group stage:

European%20Champions%20Cup_%20Overview%20Profile_zps2aqvstjq.png

He started five games, thanks to injuries to Bernardo Silva, and did really well. Only one goal and two assists, but good performances considering he's still only 17 and should not really be ready for first team football yet. Of course it helped that we had an easy draw (Salzburg, Bilbao, Basel) and ended up winning all games with GD of 16-2, keeping five clean sheets. But still. Will probably look at possibly selling Januzaj next summer to make room for Gribbin in the first team squad.

I got Mammana in first season. One of my few signings. Even at that young age I started him in 25 Premier league matches (+3 sub) and a total of 40(6) appearances over the season. He done well enough for me playing alongside Smalling.

And damn!!!!!

Gigg's took over as Chelsea manager in February 2017, 14 days after he was replaced as my assistant by Vincenzo Vergine (Wanted an assistant with great scouting stats, and good at man management/determination to replace Giggs as I knew I wasn't going to renew his contract when it finished at season end.).

He doing well there, but I missed the fact he was selling Hazard!!! He left to PSG for a low sum of £43.5m, would guess he was unhappy at no Champions League football... even if i had to pay a "same league fee" above this it still would have been an amazing deal if i could convince him to join.... I actually always have a season start and end save, so thinking of just looking to see if i would have been able to get him if I paid more attention to big names being sold off! Also want to check the reason he went so cheap. Going to Finish 2017-2018 before I dare look because he a player I never signed and I dont want to be tempted to restart my game from that point. lol

I got Mammana in first season. One of my few signings. Even at that young age I started him in 25 Premier league matches (+3 sub) and a total of 40(6) appearances over the season. He done well enough for me playing alongside Smalling.

And damn!!!!!

Gigg's took over as Chelsea manager in February 2017, 14 days after he was replaced as my assistant by Vincenzo Vergine (Wanted an assistant with great scouting stats, and good at man management/determination to replace Giggs as I knew I wasn't going to renew his contract when it finished at season end.).

He doing well there, but I missed the fact he was selling Hazard!!! He left to PSG for a low sum of £43.5m, would guess he was unhappy at no Champions League football... even if i had to pay a "same league fee" above this it still would have been an amazing deal if i could convince him to join.... I actually always have a season start and end save, so thinking of just looking to see if i would have been able to get him if I paid more attention to big names being sold off! Also want to check the reason he went so cheap. Going to Finish 2017-2018 before I dare look because he a player I never signed and I dont want to be tempted to restart my game from that point. lol

Yeah was looking at him too either as my main or as a young centre back.

I had Mustafi pre-update.

Laporte, Stones I use.

Yeah knew of those just wondered if there was any other more less known one and maybe cheaper lol

Has anyone found the best formation to start off with? I'm going to try 4-3-3(DM) see how that works out as 4-2-3-1 didn't go as well as usual.

And anyone managed to get rid of Fellaini?

I went 4-1(DM)-1(MCL)-3-1 as something slightly different for a change. So much attacking talent I wanted to be able to make full use of them.

I got rid of Fellani in the 1st winter transfer, only got 7.5m from Swansea for him but managed to get him off my books so better than nothing. I actually used him a bit in them first months of managing the club in order to help getting rid of him in winter

Martial almost broke the fastest hat trick record:

Everton%20v%20Man%20Utd_%20Overview%20Overview_zpswfgu3diw.png

First goal came at 58:39, third at 61:56, so about 30 seconds too long. I subbed Felipe Anderson and Lewandowski on for Guedes and Embolo at about 55 minutes, up to that point we were rubbish. Worked out pretty well. :)

great into annoying part of the game.

Stoke can't be beaten regardless of following the scout reports vulnerable formation still a draw but, annoying given its like game 25 and I won the others

then this joke, even went practically full strength

3BD7250B738CFC4D5457287CF1DD329A120A0C0D

42 shots on goal 17 shots on target.... ONE FREAKING GOAL

And the treble in the second season.

John%20Cleese_%20%20Inbox-7_zpsgikzmosu.png

Now I've got a 195 mill transfer budget and 1,4 mill p/w available wages and absolutely no idea who I want or need to sign. Will probably just have to blow it all on Bellerin... :lol:

Inspired by the Euros, I decided to fire up FM16 for one last save after taking a few months away from the game. I suffered through a number of abortive attempts trying to find a tactic that would deliver at least a reasonable performance. And then I came up with this:

yQjPuhUl.png

Which resulted in this:

iGk7cjal.png

And this:

68fkLk2l.png

The only real disappointments were a single PL defeat away at West Ham, not forgetting the CL quarter-final defeat against Barcelona (including a 2-1 win at the Camp Nou, but not enough to offset a miserable 4-2 defeat at Old Trafford), and a few too many draws.

Martial was pretty good, despite a lean spell through Jan-Mar; Rooney was awful all season; Memphis came good, and season signings including Moutinho, Embolo, Mammana, Corchia and Augustinson, all performed well. Rooney, Jones and Young will be leaving as soon as any decent offers come in and hopefully their replacements will lift us to another level in Europe for season 2. Transfer budget is £103 before any outgoing transfers so I should be able to strengthen the squad.

If anyone is struggling with a United tactic (and I know you are!) just shout and I'll talk you through what I came up with, and why.

Just completed my first season with United & played the first friendly of the next season.

2015/2016 Season Review

Transfers

Transfers.jpg

I'm quite different to a lot of FM managers who wheel & deal like crazy & make massive changes. I've always only generally signed 2/3 players a season for the first team. I always like to try & start out with the original squad and then gradually make changes. IMO Blind, Jones & Valencia are not full backs which means Shaw & Darmian are the only our & out players for those positions - so in comes Rose as a 2nd choice LB (English to boot) & Nacho as a 2nd choice RB (later realised he's naturally a CB but never mind). Matip was my main first team signing as thought the team could do with a better centre half. Townsend was a loan signing because Valencia & Young both got injured in pre season & with Janujaz on loan it meant Depay was my only winger. The only notable sale was Blind...what position is he?? I have a requirement that CB's have to at least 6"0 tall & he didn't seem to have the stats for a LB so that kind of left him as a utility central midfielder which we have an abundance of. I didn't list him but he wasn't really getting a game, when Barca came in for him it made sense to sell.

Competitions

League.jpg

Although it looks like I won the league fairly comfortably I was never really confident we could really do it until around the 30 game mark - this is the hardest FM I've ever played. Was neck & neck with Chelsea for ages until they fall away in the last 5 or 6 games. Amazingly City & Arsenal were miles behind us for quite a while until they both put together big runs toward seasons end. The only complain would be my goals conceded column - although we had the 2nd best defensive record in the league there were still games where we shipped goals I dont think we should have & I'd expect to be conceding less goals, but generally as long as we concede less goals than we play games I'm happy.

League Cup: Winners, beat Stoke 3-2

FA Cup: Runners up, lost 4-1 on pens to Liverpool after 0-0 after ET

Champions League: Winners, beat Atletico 3-1 on pens after 0-0 after ET

Players

Squad.jpg

As you can see Depay was the start of the show.........bizarrly followed by Valencia! He tore his hamstring and missed the first 4 months of the season, but once he was back in he was a beast. Not really in the way of assists, he jsut kept scoring! Shaw was outstanding as well & a good mention to Martial effectively carrying the striker duties for so long on such young shoulders after Rooney missed so much in an injury prone season. Even more bizarre was Townsend...purely a loan signing because of injuries, although inconsistant at times he was surprisingly brilliant - so much so I've signed him permenantly. Mata unfortunatly like Rooney missed the bulk of the 2nd half of the season with a long term injury which is a shame because he was tearing it up, but Herrera did well to deputise in AMC & I really liked him - although he doesn't get enough goals or assists. Rose even briefly displaced Shaw from the team & ended up with more assists than him overall - he was that good he even made Englands provisional 30 man Euro's squad, was pretty cool to have both my left backs in it. Darmian also hit a purple patch of form toward the end of the season. Pereira, who only came in because of wide player injuries did enough that I've promoted him to my full team for next season & even at 34 Carrick was consistently good & I triggered his 1 year extension option. Overall really happy with player performances - but I wish Herrera would get more goals & assists - his form also tailed off in the last 10 games which lowered his overall average rating.

Since the 2nd season pre season started, I've sold Schweinsteiger to Barca for £10M - he just seems really average, was 3rd/4th choice central midfield at best & I can't justify someone on £230k a week sitting on the bench. Romero has been loaned out to Roma with Valdes as 2nd choice GK in the final year of his contract. Ashley Young is transfer listed, just not in my plans & I already have my 4 first team wingers which don't include him. I brought in Zivkovic & Lincoln for free/£2.5M which is awesome business for such young talents & also Townsend for £20M as previously mentioned following his great season & its another English man to boot. I am looking for a marque central midfielder - at the moment its betwen Pogba, Java Martinez or Moussa Sissoko who was outstanding for Newcastle last season. I'm probably going to go for Martinez.....I really just can't justify £94M on a central midfielder, but I'm still weighing it up.

All in all really pleased & surprised at how well I managed to do with effectively the same squad especially given the amount of injuries I had & only bringing in 3 first team additions, none of them massive names. Lets see what next season brings........

218393C96F6D0DF753980056CEE0A96030A0668A

so that's both my mains strikers netting 3 against Liverpool at some point (Martial did it TWICE!!!)

even more silly.. Arsenal beat Madrid to face me in the final :lol:

league season over

E0D6F8935782C12E30D4C7F7F555B74AEC1C9D25

Martial and Lewandowski up front, netting 49 goals between them :lol:

A13ECD667E67BB7CC0B3A5BC490DC833B581B39A

87583ED6497AD03DA6F64CBED35F63F48007DA86

About to start my 4th season (will do some sort of review eventually of the start of my career. Just been too busy playing various games to sit and do it... maybe during the Euro Final if it not exciting .. or the F1 )

Just putting together some great transfer deals though.

Transfer In:

Real Madrid willing to sell Bale for : £40m+£9m after 50 league games+ £9m after 50 league goals +50% of future profit (as if that will happen, he 28 now so gonna get a few good years out of him but cant see him being sold, let alone for a profit!)

Transfers out:

Mata - Athletico Madrid have offered £30m upfront, 6m over 12months, 9m for 10goals, 9m for 50 league appearances (dunno if he manage that!). Although he been outstanding for me, at 30yrs of age his career has peaked and cashing in now is probably a good idea. Bringing Bale in, at 2yrs younger and able to play in same position should help cope with this loss.

Januzaj - AC milan/Valencia have bids worth £50m currently on the table. Currently debating if this is the right move given his young age but to be honest I am struggling to see how I can turn the bids down. If this really happened I cant see the higher ups allowing me to refuse the offers so that too is leading me towards having to allow contract talks. Just be a shame to lose a young player that is a natural in all the AM positions.

hi guys

anyone managed to sign Pogba in the first season with the latest updates?

he says he won't join because he wants continental competition at a high level. I have the option to talk to him - but whatever I say he won't join...