Sports Interactive Community
forameuss

[FM16] If I had a Nicol for every goal, I'd have just over six dollars

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars
The Octadecagon Experiment

Chapter 3 Part 20
Bobby's Going Home

TeFYXr6.png

dtdJ0Zu.png

Goodnight, sweet prince.

Edited by forameuss

Phenomenal thread.  An absolute epic adventure.

What a big ending.:applause: It's going to be a honor for a great legend. A big, epic, adventure with almost 100 years will finally be THE END.

Truly epic career. Great way to go out with the World Cup win!

Any chance you could upload the save? Would love to have a look around at tourney results, regens around the world etc!

Either way; I applaud you on a magnificent and highly entertaining career! :applause:

On 8/5/2016 at 16:25, EvilDave said:

:applause:

Perfect end to a superb career. Not a great deal else to be said really.

On 8/5/2016 at 16:28, Wavelberry said:

Excellent stuff. Enjoyed every moment.

On 8/5/2016 at 16:30, Ceching You Out said:

Well done! Not much to say about this Odyssean adventure besides bravo. :applause:

22 hours ago, dudge7 said:

Phenomenal thread.  An absolute epic adventure.

22 hours ago, thehazeofspades said:

Absolutely brilliant. Hats off to you as a sad tear falls from my face.

7 hours ago, sherwinriga said:

What a big ending.:applause: It's going to be a honor for a great legend. A big, epic, adventure with almost 100 years will finally be THE END.

7 minutes ago, Adelaidean said:

Truly epic career. Great way to go out with the World Cup win!

Any chance you could upload the save? Would love to have a look around at tourney results, regens around the world etc!

Either way; I applaud you on a magnificent and highly entertaining career! :applause:

Thanks all!  Was a long one, but finally got there in the end.  We just passed the 100 year mark too, which doesn't really matter a great deal, but it's a nice round number to pass by.

When I started the thread, it was only really supposed to be a little stop gap save where I managed Scotland.  In fact, I think I talked about managing until Euro 2020, maybe to the World Cup in 2022.  There was never really a plan to go on for a long career with just Scotland, but that's what ended up happening.  I've done multi-manager saves in the past similar to this, but I've never managed to go the distance and round out all three to the sort of detail I wanted to.  So I guess this is an achievement in that sense.  I just hope it's been entertaining enough throughout.

I'm not ruling out coming back to this save at some point, but I feel it's the right time to "officially" end it.  I was seeing a few competitions start to break, so not convinced I could really start another big challenge with reliability.  The save itself was started on a small database with a view to only being an international one, so I've had to adapt as I've gone.  

So what's next then?  Well, I've started a few new saves in the time since completing this, just trying to find one that sticks and keeps my interest long enough for me to write about it.  I believe I've found the one, so look out for another one starting soon which will hopefully tide me over until I get bored of FM16.

I don't plan on uploading the save as it's a bit of a mess with all of the leagues being added, removed, then re-added and re-removed, but if anyone would like to know anything in particular, happy to provide it.

And finally, a huge thanks for the reads and the comments throughout.  It really would be boring and pointless if I was just updating and effectively talking to myself.

The most entertaining thread I've ever read on this forum! Great work- you can tell from the number of people who've attempted international careers the impact this career has had.  Looking forward to the next story..

Sad its over 

Thanks for all the updates

I'll never forget the name Peter Dailly 

:'-(

Thanks again for all the kind words.  There may be a few more updates, but probably more of a round-up with some interesting things I noticed reading back through it.  Or maybe a best eleven, something like that.

I did start a new thread, but with my internet being down at home since Friday night (****ing Openreach) I haven't been able to upload any screenshots.

Wow, this was epic all the way through! Of all the teams to beat in the final though... :(

Absolutely a - ma - zing! Or, as Ford Fairlane would say it, "un-f***-ing believable!!"

I started reading this thread last fall, then fell off the forums for most of 2016, just got back now this summer, and I've been catching up on the "last" 25-30 pages (lots more now the forums are upgraded) in the last couple of weeks. And I just have to say, apart from Guillou, Grisham, Clancy and Follett (and probably a couple of others), this is some of the most amazing stuff I've ever read. Incredible, no less. :applause:

The story of ol' Hamish (how old would he be by now?), with Peter Dailly and the great (once) young goalie (whose name I'll have to admit I've forgotten..), the ups and downs (or the other way around) of "young" Archie, with Bobby Nicol first capping off his playing career by trouncing Petey, then going out for the last hurrah and winning the World Cup at the age of 77..

Once again, incredible, just incredibly amazing. :applause:

One final wish, would it be possible to have a career summary of all the three of yous?

And, again, I know, but it can't be said too many times, amazing! Both the careers, and the story. Thank you so much, it's really been a great pleasure. I just wish I had it in me, but this is simply the best. Ever. Thank you! :applause:Sincerely.

Wow, great end to this! I agree with the sentiments of others, that this really is one of the greatest threads on FMCU ever... Thank you for sharing the journey with us!

The Epilogue 
Glengarries United and the Nicol Show

Well, one person requested a career round-up for this, so I'm intending this to be my final "content" posts of this thread.  I said that I might come back to it, but I think that's unlikely given how unstable the save seems to be in terms of competitions not working, etc.  I've already started another thread, and that should tide me over for another month or so.  Then I may well retire my writing part of FM16 in preparation for FM17 - it's probably only three months away after all.

So here goes, I'll try and outline the story of each chapter and distill it into a humourous (spoiler warning, there will be no humour) summary with some stats.  Then I may end it with an "unofficial" best eleven from the career.  Who knows?

Anyway, on we go.

Chapter 1- Scotland Rising

ahieWXx.png

Hamish Glengarrie joined Scotland with the country at a pretty low ebb.  We hadn't qualified for anything in 18 years, since World Cup 98.  With that competition being in France, and the next - Euro 2016 - also being there, a new man was brought in to try and change the hard-luck nature of Scotland's past.

And boy did he.

It was a sticky start though.  In a campaign that almost mirrored the real life one, it came right down to the wire after a terrible result.  We were beaten in Dublin to throw the group open, and in the end we needed to get something in Germany to make the playoff spot.  We got a 2-2 draw, and after a nervy but successful playoff win, we were off to Euro 2016.  First objective achieved.

Now I could go through each competition saying how we did, but you can get that from reading through the story.  Which you totally should.  Now.  I'll wait.

But anyway, I'm going to discuss things in terms of generations.  As I'm writing this, I'm not really sure how many teams I've built.  Hamish was in charge for a little under 30 years, so it's quite a few.  There's also going to be a bit of an overlap.  So I'll try and write in that sense.  Here goes.

The First Generation

Start Date: Early 2015  End Date: Summer 2020

Won: 34  Drawn: 17  Lost: 15

Achievements: Euros 2nd Rd., Euros QF, WC QF

Versus England Record: 3-0-1

The first generation was all about sticking with what we have.  There's always that little period in FM between game start and when the regens start to really take over.  It might seem like this generation is a little short, and in truth it is, but you'll see why that is when you see the second generation.

Anyway, these years were all about the existing players and moulding them into a unit that could actually be successful.  Thanks to FM not being able to model the most British of traits ("Oh no, everything's awful, everything is going wrong and it's all our fault, but we're British/English/Scottish so we'll moan/complain/ignore it") it wasn't too hard.  We knew we'd get to face England at least twice in 2018 qualifying, but we got a little preview  in the Euro 2016 by beating them in the Group Stage.  We then had a very Scotland start to World Cup Qualifying before winning five out of five in the final run-in to qualify for the play-offs, then went all the way to Russia.  We won our first knockout tournament match there in a classic match (Ryan Gauld scoring in the 120th minute), but essentially this generation was all about doing well, but not brilliantly.  We never really lit up any tournaments, but we did pretty well, and we set about putting down the foundations for what came next.  We did manage to beat England in the Euro 2020 second round though, so that was nice.

Highlights have to include the running battles we had with England, or more accurately, Eddie Howe's running battle with his own mind.  Roy Hodgson reacted well as we beat them in 2016, but Eddie Howe got a little too big for his boots after they beat us at Hampden.  The next three years saw two notable wins, and following our 2020 win Eddie Howe was sacked.  Beautiful.  Other highlights include that aforementioned five game run in 2018 qualifying where we looked out of it, but then won every single game - including one at Wembley - to grab it out of the fire and almost take top spot.  Particularly the final two games where four teams were locked within a point of each other. 

Lowlights...well, you have to say tournament knockout stages.  Particularly matches against Italy and France.  France pumped us 4-0 in 2016 (starting as they meant to go on against us) and Italy decimated a very tired side 6-2 in 2018.  Spain's 2-0 win in 2020 after our battle with England wasn't a pumping, but the scoreline probably flattered us.

I won't do a best eleven for each generation, because most positions would be me stretching to remember, but I will give you the key players for each one.  Three of them, let's say.  For this first generation, it has to be  Jordan Rhodes, Matt Ritchie and Ikechi Anya.  Actually, **** it, I'll make it 4, because there's no way I'll leave out Ryan Gauld.  They contributed a little under half of our goals in this period, with Jordan Rhodes managing 24.  To put that into perspective, at this current point in time, the highest goalscorer in the squad is Steven Fletcher.  He has 8.  Even the top scorer in our history only has 30.  And this is from a player who I have always said doesn't have what it takes to play up front on his own.  He couldn't do it without those three behind him though, with Ritchie and Anya often ever-present there.  Ryan Gauld deserves further mention, as I was the one to hand him his debut.  He's featured in squads in real life, but isn't considered quite ready for the first team.  I decided to take a chance, and he's not let me down.

The Next Generation

Start Date: Summer 2020  End Date: Summer 2030

Won: 71 Drawn: 26 Lost: 26

Achievements: Euro Champions, CC 3rd Place, WC 4th Place, Euros Runners-up

Versus England Record: 0-0-2

If I had to name this generation with one word, it'd be "next".  The ten year period saw a good few regens start to take their place, and it also saw a few of the younger real players move into the twilight of their careers.  After a good basis being made with the first four years, we spent this period charging for the top.  Achievements wise, it didn't really start that well with another second round exit in the World Cup as Spain demolished us.  But then in 2024 our time came.  We perhaps lucked out a bit with the draw, but we can only beat what's put in front of us.  A double from full-back Jason Naismith in the final against Serbia gave us our first trophy, and a lot, lot earlier than I had anticipated.  We couldn't quite follow it up with the Confederations Cup trophy too, but we almost made it to the World Cup Final in 2026.  We ran out of steam there, but looked forward to four years later when we could try again.  We'll get to that.

We so very nearly retained our trophy in 2028, just edged out by Germany in the final, which set us up nicely going into the 2030 campaign.  Surely we'd easily get to the World Cup and stand a good chance.

Then we didn't qualify.  The absolute low-point of the career, and one  that still haunts me.  8 games, 4 wins, 4 draws.  We just didn't do anywhere near enough to qualify, and we had to watch as Belgium - the team that beat us to 3rd place four years earlier - lifted the trophy.  That hurt.

And that ended our second generation, because big changes were needed after that.  Only achievements wise though, because this ten years saw a number of debuts of players who would go on to be legends.  Before we get to them, I'll mention the players we've already seen.  Andrew Robertson was an almost ever-present and captained the side for a long period.  Ryan Gauld was still playing at the end of this generation, although winding down.  Matt Phillips, Matt Ritchie and Ikechi Anya all featured fairly heavily, albeit with their appearances limited as the years wore on.  Jordan Rhodes only managed 12 goals though, which was disappointing.  I mean, we really struggled to find someone who could fill that void.

Oh, wait.  There was one guy.  Peter Dailly.

The Lord Prince Peter Dailly made his debut during qualifying for the 2022 World Cp, scoring in the opening game against Wales.  At that point I knew I had a decent player, but I wasn't quite prepared for how good.  74 goals.  Seventy.  Four.  To put that into perspective, the previously prolific Jordan Rhodes had become top scorer in his country's history with 36 goals.  In this time period Peter Dailly managed to more than double that total.  The next highest scorer was Iain Paterson with 28.  Also some interesting facts while I've gone back over this.  After Peter Dailly scored his first goal against Wales, it took him another year to get his next goals with Jordan Rhodes often preferred.  He got a double in a friendly against Liechtenstein, but then promptly went on another long drought, not scoring again for another nineteen months when he added a late goal against Gibraltar in October 2023.  This was effectively down to him not quite being ready, with Jordan Rhodes still hanging on in there, and Dougie Smith, another young striker, being preferred.  He ended up getting 7 in 2024, 11 in 2025, and effectively he never looked back.  It was 2027 that showed exactly what he was to us though, when he got a massive 18 goals, including 5 against Gibraltar where he broke Jordan Rhodes' scoring record.  What a man.  Around the time of us failing to qualify for WC2030 he was still pretty prolific, and he was approaching his prime, making him part of the next generation too.  But we'll get to that.

Before that though, our highlights and lowlights.  The main highlight was obviously our European Championship win.  I never really expected to do much in managing Scotland, or even be in charge for very long.  Less than eight years after taking over, we were Champions, and that led to a period of real success.  Unfortunately, that success could also be considered a lowlight.  We just missed out on finals in 2025 and 2026, then runners up in 2028.  The failure to qualify for 2030 was the biggest lowlight, and to be honest it seemed like it might be the beginning of the end.

But the next generation was ready to arrive.

The Hard Luck Generation

Start Date: Summer 2030  End Date: Summer 2038

Won: 72 Drawn: 14 Lost: 14

Achievements: WC Runners-up (x2)

Versus England Record: 0-0-2

Going purely by the win-loss record, it looks like this generation was very successful.  Unfortunately, it ends up being known as the hard-luck era.

So why do we have this 8 year period?  Well, the short description of this generation will probably tell you - Dailly Matures.

I said earlier that Peter Dailly was in his prime as the previous generation ended.  This one saw him continue his goal-scoring exploits, leaving the world to wonder how long he could continue.  But we'll get to that.

The first two years of this era saw the final legend leave the arena as Ryan Gauld called it a day.  Andrew Robertson had been retired for a few years having broken the caps record.  I gave Gauld a few more caps just so he could break it as thanks for his service.  But on the way to Euro 2032 he ended up retiring, leaving behind a huge legacy.  That made this generation the true start of the whole new world, with completely generated players making up the squads.

So back to Peter Dailly.  He essentially had six good years at the top before he really started to slow down.  He scored 61 goals in this period, but only 3 of those came between 2036 and 2038.  He was utterly prolific, particularly in qualifiers.  In both 2031 and 2033 he scored 15 goals during qualifying.  Unfortunately, he seemed to be a bit of a flat-track bully, never really being prolific at tournaments.  

Come 2037, Peter was really getting on a bit, and really struggling to hit the heights.  Kieran Clarke and Calum Wilkie were scoring the goals (50 between them) and looked to be our future.  But when the World Cup came around, and it looked like it might be his swansong, I just couldn't resist bringing him along.  What happened next shocked even me.  He was absolutely dreadful whenever he was called upon, but in the quarter final against Germany he was brought on with half an hour to go.  He seized on a loose ball and leathered a shot past the keeper to give us the win.  An absolutely wonderful moment, and left us dreaming of a World Cup win in his final game.  Unfortunately, a defeat on penalties ended the era in defeat.

Highlights...well, apart from Peter Dailly, there weren't really any from an achievements standpoint.  We were beaten twice in World Cup Finals, both of them in crushing circumstances.  In the first, Brazil battered us 6-1, and then four years later France ground out a penalties win in sudden death.  So that covers our lowlights.  In the Euros we lost a semi-final convincingly, and then a second round match pretty much the same way.  Not a good few years.

Hamish now had to turn his eyes to building a new team around a new hero, but was his time coming to the end?

The Closing Generation

Start Date: Summer 2038  End Date: Summer 2044

Won: 48  Drawn: 15  Lost: 20

Achievements: Euros Champions, CC Winners

Versus England Record: 3-0-1

It ended up being the final team Hamish put together, because after almost 30 years leading Scotland, he decided the time was right to step down.  That was a decision made as soon as I realised that we were going to co-host the 2044 European Championships.  That was going to be the time that Hamish said goodbye to his country, hopefully with a win.  Unfortunately...

Before we get there though, I have to mention the 2040 Euros, where we beat England in the final in Portugal.  Just like the first time we won it, it was a defender that made the difference, turning in a well-worked free-kick in extra-time to send our fans into raptures.  We then followed that up by winning the Confederations Cup - again in Portugal, making it a third trophy for the side under Glengarrie, an improvement of infinity percent from when he took over.

Unfortunately, Hamish's final attempt at a World Cup ended very early as Brazil dominated us in the second round of the 2042 World Cup, putting us out easily.  A World tour ensued in 2043 as we were spared qualifying as hosts, but unfortunately that rustiness came back to haunt us as we came just a few yards short of a win in Hamish's final tournament.  France beat us 2-1 in the final to break our hearts.  Still, Hamish's story ends with the knowledge that he has done what he set out to do, and rebuilt Scotland.

When it finally all ended, player-wise we didn't really have anyone that could live up to Peter Dailly's mark, but Calum Wilkie was probably the closest.  Hamish leaves him with a few more years in the tank, so expect him to be one of the top scorers in the time to come.

No honorable mention of Sean Gilmour? (just had to click my way through the thread to find his name..)

On 8/20/2016 at 07:31, Maaka said:

No honorable mention of Sean Gilmour? (just had to click my way through the thread to find his name..)

He was stricken from the record after he embarrassed himself at the Hamish Glengarrie Anniversary Dinner by singing some pretty horrendously sectarian songs.  Not really though, he just completely slipped by my very inaccurate skim reading back through of the thread unfortunately.  Looking back though, he featured in Hamish's final game in charge at the home Euros, which was his 146th cap.  At that point he was 30, so I imagine he still got a fair few after that.  I'll see if I can dig out the save again, see if he made it to the full record.

16 hours ago, Hairyflump said:

How on earth did you get through matches that quick? Did you play each one?

To be fair, a large amount of the save was spent in international management.  I only played 375 games in the first 30 odd years of the save, so a much lower number than I would have in a club save.  Easy to get through an entire campaign in a day if I got the time by holidaying.  Apart from that though, the save did start on beta, so it's been quite a long time running.

Yeah, I said that.

I wasn't going to sit hitting continue for months and months in international management.