[FM16] If I had a Nicol for every goal, I'd have just over six dollars

forameuss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

The Octadecagon Experiment

53caab25e7b0e5c0fde845b007187e1d.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

2112 European Championships

omtxPGM.png

It's a shame, but that result is enough to send Georgia home thanks to their relatively poor goal difference. We were just too good for them in the end, just like we've been for everyone. Three 3-0 wins has very much done the job, although I'm still wary of that one knockout match where we just don't turn up. If we do that and still get through, then I think our name must be on the trophy.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

pebyXhL.png

REZMOAm.png

xmRf0np.png

T5pCqPb.png

fDakL4w.png

okkz9YK.png

yw1CG3O.png

And here's the draw. I know what you're saying - how did I win the group and still manage to draw Germany? Well, it's the curse of Group F, the phenomenon that became apparent in Euro 2016 in real life, has struck again.

In case you don't remember what happened just weeks ago, Hungary, Portugal, Iceland and Austria battled it out in Group F. Hungary won the group, but you wouldn't have known it, as they were rewarded with a match against runner-up in the group of Italy, Belgium, Sweden and Republic of Ireland. So effectively, the winner of Group F was always likely to play either Italy or Belgium. Hungary got absolutely battered by Belgium, and they were out. Iceland finished second, and were rewarded by what looked like a nightmarish run to the final. By all rights they should have gone out against England before a ball was kicked, but even when they won they had to then play France. If they had won that, it would've been Germany. And the team that finished 3rd? They were put into the more comfortable half of the draw, and only went on to win the whole thing.

So the curse of Group F is real, and we've been given a Germany side who have looked fairly impressive. We were oh so close to drawing Scotland too. Not sure if that's a blessing or a curse.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

RNasbix.png

A potential semi-final with England is off, leaving France as potential opponents. I'd tentatively say that they're not quite the side they once were when they were battering through us for fun, but still, not a team I want to face. It'll be Holland in the next round for us, after they bettered Denmark. To reach the final, we could have to beat Germany, Holland and then France. I hate this competition.

9MSvkkN.png

The match-up with Scotland is off in heartbreaking fashion for them as they lose on penalties to Portugal. Belgium and the Czech's go through, and they'll be delighted at that given how even their side of the draw looks. Could be a strange looking finalist from that side.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

5h5umDf.png

"Lucky Italy" doesn't quite tell you the half of it. We beat Germany fairly comfortably last summer in the Nations League finals, but this was altogether closer. However, I did say that we needed that game where we were put under pressure so we could come out of it. We've just beaten one of the favourites and we're still yet to concede a goal. Could this be our year?

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

vlAMLdc.png

Talk about a top-heavy draw. Two heavyweight battles on the North side with Italy vs Holland and France vs Portugal. Then one of Czech Republic, Croatia, Ukraine or Belgium will await in the final. If we make it through our bear-pit of a draw, we'll surely be favourites.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

jBec6za.png

nhoRkKj.png

Massive result in the second quarter final as France fall. I was dreading playing them in the semi, but to be honest I don't like the prospect of facing Portugal much either.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

Og1a1r7.png

Our first goal conceded, but who cares when you score 3 in return. It was very reminiscent of some of our qualifiers in that we streaked into an unassailable lead, before deciding to see just how "unassailable" they felt it to be. They left it just too late to score in the end. Disappointing for them, but great for us as we move on to the semi final.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

BPitevg.png

It'll be the Ukraine vs Croatia for a place in the Final.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

sdC32Xs.png

It took 120 minutes, but Ukraine finally bettered Croatia (a side we beat easily in the group stages). They'll hopefully be a wee bit tired, because thanks to FM's scheduling we get two days less rest than them...

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

cs1ltK8.png

Who else would it be? Ermanno Prandelli took his time, but finally struck with six minutes of extra time to go. Portugal looked absolutely deflated by that, and as soon as the ball went in it was pretty clear that there would be no come-back. A few half-hearted lumps forward later and we were celebrating.

A European Championship Final against Ukraine awaits.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

HVwsN1h.png

Considerable favourites. Uh-oh.

vFemktJ.png

For once we'll have a team match-up against us. I made the big decision to drop Prandelli, as to be honest he was absolutely knackered after 120 minutes just a few days before. I'm hardly stuck for replacing him either, with Fusco having gotten a few very important goals for us. Ideally we run them ragged with Fusco, then bring on Prandelli to continue his story later in the game. Fabio Amico captains the side and takes his place just behind the striker.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

A4olqYs.png

European Champions!

That is how you justify a managerial selection too. Nicola Fusco contributes two early goals to really settle the nerves. When we scored a third two minutes after half-time, it was well and truly time to start the party.

Once again we decided to test just how good we were by letting in a goal in the 49th minute, but even with another 40 minutes left to fight back, Ukraine never really looked quite good enough to compete. We've beaten Germany, Holland and Portugal on the way, we were never likely to lose to Ukraine.

5HCeNf9.png

MirptsG.png

ep2UYdR.png

ovrlj67.png

NwSM8mz.png

nB8RszD.png

0BUtf6O.png

There's only one place this group are going now, and that's to the World Cup in two years time. Just one more trophy left to win, and I'm intending to grab it at the first opportunity.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

ZhHLpIJ.png

39KanMJ.png

Not bad for a back-up striker. Fusco managed to end up as third top scorer in the end, only losing out because he'd played more minutes. Great for the guy.

uKX5mQL.png

But despite having two World Class strikers, neither make it into the Best Eleven. I suppose I shouldn't complain, we did not bad in other positions.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

Now you may have seen a couple of posts ago that I said it was onwards to the World Cup for "my last trophy".

I know what you're saying, "But Bobby, you still haven't won the Confederations Cup. Surely you're not bailing on us for that?!"

Well, unfortunately, FM has had other ideas...

M1GLFJg.png

To give some perspective for those that don't realise the issue here, the date is now 2112. The Confederations Cup has not been scheduled in any of the past three occasions, and will now be missing a 4th. That means I won't be able to pick that one up, taking a second trophy off the list of the available. This game, man...

It's very likely this will be the final chapter in this particular save, then I'll see what happens with a new one. I may return to it for a few small challenges, but with all the competitions blinking out across the board, it's not the most stable. And what is there really left to achieve? A trilogy suits more I think, but I reserve the right to come back if new saves don't take.

I'm also working on something completely different with the editor, but remains to be seen whether it'll be in a stable enough state in the next few weeks.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

UEFA Nations League

S7vA7po.png

IkFugmX.png

sgqsgpM.png

4OD810f.png

20WvNNp.png

We're off to the finals again, but not before Scotland get another comprehensive victory over us. Away from home. We managed to beat them at Hampden though, which secured us top spot and a chance to retain our Nations League trophy.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

6lZuCJj.png

DK1JJQh.png

EiUcRRV.png

Could be a tough group given only one goes through. Belgium will be tough opposition.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

yrFIsdZ.png

This is another reason why I think my save might be a bit goosed. During this international window, I have three games. We start our qualifying campaign in the latter two, but for some reason there's a high profile friendly with France organised for a week before, outwith the usual window. I had to pick two squads for it and everything.

This shouldn't actually be allowed, and I'd be amazed if clubs let their players go like this. And that's nothing to do with the fact that France pumped us. Nothing at all.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

FIFA World Cup Qualifying - European Edition - Group 10

Match-day 1

VT6gV15.png

A good start, but again we're looking weak defensively. We shouldn't be conceding to Armenia, and one day we won't be able to rely on Ermanno Prandelli scoring another hat-trick to get us out of trouble.

x430ruL.png

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

Match-day 2

46G3D5d.png

Finally a clean-sheet for us, and interesting to see Belgium not too impressive against Armenia. Hopefully that means we won't have too much trouble either.

evocmc7.png

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

1wpTdJv.png

JIFiCo5.png

Two in a row!

Another Nations League trophy after we absolutely dominate Germany in the semi, then beat England narrowly in the final.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

Match-day 5

n3qp9jZ.png

A big, big result in Brussels as we get the three points over Belgium.

Lll7U9M.png

Despite Belgium getting the two wins while we were off at the Nations League, we move ahead of them in the table with a game in hand. We now take a massive advantage in the group, knowing that if we win all of our games except the Belgium one, even a defeat there might still see us finish top.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

Match-day 6

Q8gLQlv.png

Good going forward, poor at the back. Blah blah blah. Sick of saying this.

TOR3Cx0.png

We remain ahead of Belgium, and crucially keep a few goals ahead on goal difference. If all other results match up, only a three goal win for Belgium will see them overtake us.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

Match-day 8

9W4agNx.png

AEZCW1c.png

Two games to go, three points ahead of Belgium, we're almost home and dry.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

Match-day 9

oeSt3KE.png

We're finally defeated, but the narrow margin probably means that we'll still finish top. Even a draw at this stage would probably still see us finish in the top 3 on the second place table. Still, this is disappointing. The sort of game that we've threatened to have, where our great attacking skills don't quite make up for our poor defensive display.

25bMoWe.png

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

Match-day 10

SQxT3bq.png

Two pretty unremarkable results, but it's enough to see us top the group, and leave Belgium to go through as one of the best second placed sides. All's well that ends well.

daYOjah.png

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

jPXjX2V.png

0620PyD.png

fwxUxDH.png

I said earlier we relied on Prandelli, and this is proof of it. 19 goals in a campaign is wonderful, but when it's almost being undone by poor defending, I'd be furious if I was him.

But after that, I decided to check what the player records were like, see if Ermanno was about to bother them.

qPNETA9.png

The record stands at 115. So how many does Ermanno have? 115. I'll look to arrange a nice friendly in March for him to break the record ahead of the World Cup.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

Ej4p4Bh.png

(Belgium are the final seed)

N52NtY8.png

I'm not quite sure about this group. I'm always wary of African opposition, as we've had tough games against them in the past. Ukraine we easily beat in the Euros final, and Saudi Arabia shouldn't cause us any issues. It may not get easier in the next round either, with a possible meeting with Belgium or Mexico in store.

In terms of pre-tournament friendlies, I'm going to be facing Northern Ireland, Luxembourg and then San Marino, all at home. Then we'll be heading off to England.

Yes. We're in England again. Two tournaments in a row.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

raLkKrY.png

March came around, and with an away match against Cyprus planned, the Ermanno Prandelli show is well and truly on. He got a brace to break the goal-scoring record and go down as a true legend.

CR1yTcF.png

0NEA6mj.png

And he's gorgeous too. Ooft.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

So in the lead-in to what will probably be the most important competition I've ever managed, we have a few big decisions to make. Most notably, I need to decide whether sentimentality deserves a place in my squad.

P2SwiUR.png

I didn't cover many squads from the qualifying campaign, but if I did you'd see that legend Fabio Amico didn't really feature too much. At first I was giving other players a chance, then I called him up and used him sparingly, then I just stopped. I rely on my assistant to give an early idea of who I should call up, and unless I see something glaring, I don't usually argue too much with him. I hadn't even really noticed that Fabio was injured, such was his backup role this campaign.

But now I have a choice to make - do I give him a spot in the squad or not?

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

esQlyEn.png

HjTvcRm.png

27 players were called up for the preliminary squad, after I saw no point in adding another three who would just get cut. The extra four are big decisions I have to make. I want to take four strikers, but doing that will mean I have to go short elsewhere. Some big decisions to be made.

Goalkeepers

Nicola Finotti | Gianni Spinelli | Ivan Bacchin

Defenders

Simone Coletta | Guiseppe Di Nardo | Gianni Marco Di Persio | Guiseppe Vaira | Ferdinando Pillego | Giovanni Pisani | Alberto Dominici | Jacopo Belotti

Midfielders

Phillip Simonini | Paolo Ronzani | Thomas Vallarsa | Federico Cioffi | Pio Delzio | Stefano Battiana | Dario D'Elia | Luca Granato | Andrea Cirillo | Fabio Amico | Nicolo Bugiantella | Luigi Franchini

Forwards

Ermanno Prandelli | Nicola Fusco | Pietro Mautone | Pasquale Zanetti

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

Then the cuts were made...bolded players are staying with me, non-bolded are going back home to Italy, bringing shame upon their houses.

Goalkeepers

Nicola Finotti | Gianni Spinelli | Ivan Bacchin

Defenders

Simone Coletta | Guiseppe Di Nardo | Gianni Marco Di Persio | Guiseppe Vaira | Ferdinando Pillego | Giovanni Pisani | Alberto Dominici | Jacopo Belotti

Midfielders

Phillip Simonini | Paolo Ronzani | Thomas Vallarsa | Federico Cioffi | Pio Delzio | Stefano Battiana | Dario D'Elia | Luca Granato | Andrea Cirillo | Fabio Amico | Nicolo Bugiantella | Luigi Franchini

Forwards

Ermanno Prandelli | Nicola Fusco | Pietro Mautone | Pasquale Zanetti

I really wanted to take Zanetti, but he is a raw talent rather than anything proven. Fusco and Prandelli will rotate as our main striker, with Mautone providing the brute force (20 strength) if needed. A few of our midfielders drop out, and some may fell hard-done-by. Especially when we take an aging Fabio Amico. Will that prove to be a mistake?

ydDalWx.png

Right, I've had a thought. I intend to charge through the World Cup tonight. If I make it to the final, then by late evening tonight I plan on updating it "as live". Obviously it'll be text based with a few screenshots, so not entirely live, but I plan on playing through the match, perhaps in full, and bringing it here as I go. Might work, might be terrible, but hopefully we can toast a World Cup win.

Or I don't make the final at all, and we all stand around awkwardly. Who knows.

Right, I've had a thought. I intend to charge through the World Cup tonight. If I make it to the final, then by late evening tonight I plan on updating it "as live". Obviously it'll be text based with a few screenshots, so not entirely live, but I plan on playing through the match, perhaps in full, and bringing it here as I go. Might work, might be terrible, but hopefully we can toast a World Cup win.

Or I don't make the final at all, and we all stand around awkwardly. Who knows.

I ran a sign up a few years ago and when we reached a point where the two rival nations I had set up met in a World Cup semi-final, I covered the game as a 'minute-by-minute' - I enjoyed it even if some of the thread followers couldn't bear the tension! :D

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

Nn6eiW0.png

The great man announces that he will retire after this coming season. That makes it very likely that this will be his last chance for an international game, as I doubt he'll be considered post tournament.

What a man.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

jVL3llH.png

ynwT09c.png

H3WMCBL.png

These friendlies weren't about testing us. These were just about getting confidence up and making sure we scored as many goals as possible. And we did that. We now go into the World Cup full of confidence.

Forza Italia!

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

g6RASb8.png

Well, ****.

I don't think this could have gone much worse, short of carrying a few injuries and suspensions out of the game. Still, losing three points at this stage effectively ended my career with Scotland four years ago, and now we've got an absolutely must-win game coming up. Drop any points there, and we could be in trouble. But even if we do't drop points, what will this result do for our confidence going forward?

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

Wew7I8f.png

Ah...it's good to feel powerful again.

Ukraine was probably, on paper, our toughest game of the group, and we came through it with the sort of performance that we needed after the debacle of the previous one. A big margin of victory too, giving us a big advantage ahead of the final game should we have any issues there.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 19

Bobby's Coming Home

rn53js6.png

It wasn't quite the performance we wanted, especially when you add in the sending off of Paulo Ronzani. That's a massive blow ahead of the second round. Still, at least we're there, which didn't exactly look nailed-on after our first match.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

Unfortunately, that draw for the Congo means that they top the group, pushing us down to second. We'll face Mexico in the next round...tough draw.

Archived