[FM16] If I had a Nicol for every goal, I'd have just over six dollars

forameuss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

The Octadecagon Experiment

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

European Nations League

t4s08WE.png

UCDqQeX.png

nJYZshW.png

Hmks7te.png

jxEdXYr.png

M4weLmz.png

Our Nations League campaign is a good way to begin, but it certainly isn't an exciting one. Still, it did give us the chance to face Scotland, and we won home and away against them. In fact, we only dropped two points in our four games, topping the group without too much trouble. We'll go into the summer playoff to see if after almost 100 years of trying, we can finally win this competition.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup Qualifying Draw

oXWHV1L.png

Well wouldn't you know it, we'll be visiting Hampden once again, this time on important matters. On paper, it's a good draw, but when I was in charge of Scotland in a previous life, we faced groups like this where we challenged for the top spot. Much as I love Scotland dearly, I'm not going to be giving them even a slight chance here. We have to go out and win, and win easily. Nothing else will do.

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

UEFA World Cup Qualifying Group 5

Matchday 1

P82zcli.png

Ha. Remember me saying I wanted to win big? Well this is probably the complete opposite. Outclassed by a hungry Scotland side that we beat twice in the Autumn of last year. Just not good enough.

uZsuVPW.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

Matchday 2

9aUvkTY.png

This is much more like it, but then again Cyprus are no match for us. Our objective is obvious now though - we need to win every single one of our remaining games, because I expect Scotland to do the same. It'll come down to the match at home to the Scots.

GyfcKQv.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

UEFA Nations League Finals

L4VMjpq.png

A disappointing end to our Nations League campaign, and once again we're left without the win in this stupid competition. Outplayed by Italy too, and that makes two out of three matches this year where I can say that. Maybe this Spain side isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Matches against Denmark and Poland coming up. Obviously must win.

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

Matchday 5

5mkD9ov.png

It wasn't too comfortable, but we got the three points we needed. Denmark definitely posed more problems than I expected. Interesting in the other match though, seeing Scotland struggle against a side we just pumped royally. Still, they got the three points, and they keep their record.

HsrxW3U.png

Or do they...while we were away at the Nations League finals, Scotland drew a match, cutting down their lead and meaning that if all other matches end up as wins for us, and we take the decider against Scotland, it won't come down to goal difference and instead just see us finish top anyway. Have Scotland got what it takes to stay on top?

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

Matchday 6

JV8L17A.png

Another crazy day in the group as we came out on top of a topsy-turvy match against Poland, while Scotland only just managed to better Denmark. Still, a 4-3 win is still a win, and they remain on top of the group.

zRMGcJ6.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

Matchday 7

wYQueoa.png

Sorry, Scotland. Well, not really sorry. In any way.

Dominant from start to finish in the same way that Scotland were in the previous game. A big win, and if we can close out the rest of the group, we should top it.

HPFvE1Y.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

Matchday 8

fGXkvUp.png

Not quite the dominant performance I wanted, particularly compared to the first game, but it's three points that take us beyond Scotland and into the top spot.

uKVKFih.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

Matchday 9

HC7c0hK.png

Oh, Scotland...

That shock result at Hampden hands us the top spot as we strolled through our match with Denmark.

9t77jJf.png

They just haven't had the consistency to challenge us. Remember, they absolutely dominated us in the opening match, meaning that if they could win all their other games bar the return, they'd stand a good chance of finishing as one of the best runners-up. With that result, they could struggle now.

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

Matchday 10

rL3lx5U.png

A crazy day to end the group, and one that sees Scotland throw away their slim chances of qualifying, and us take a big step back. Poland - who had five points prior to this game - absolutely routed us. There's not really much else I can say about the game, it was an absolute travesty.

xLsLbSd.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

YghCJwM.png

The board are pleased, but I can't say I am. I wanted a nice breeze of a qualification, but we lost two games in horrible fashion. The Scotland game doesn't bother me too much, but to see us lose 6-0 to Poland just a few months before we're supposed to be in with a chance of winning the World Cup is dreadful.

SJm4S2k.png

Damn right we need to build.

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

8B7oYaG.png

A baffling job offer. Scotland didn't make it, and now they've asked me if I want the job. Despite heading to the World Cup in the summer. Sorry, guys. No.

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup Draw

oABK2tA.png

You know who the last team to get drawn was...us.

PUmLHmH.png

This is going to be tough.

oKdbh7W.png

Well, not according to the media. They say it'll be easy. I expect New Zealand will finish bottom, but Algeria will be tough opposition, as African sides ALWAYS are when I face them in the World Cup.

iKSPwEw.png

But, in a little bit of symmetry, this World Cup is in China, scene of Bobby Nicol winning a World Cup with Scotland. Could history repeat?

3aaaFbD.png

An easy run-in planned as we only face one friendly of any real difficulty. Portugal will provide a tough test in Barcelona before we head off to China for two friendlies against local sides. We'll also play the Czechs in March. Our World Cup fixtures have fallen nicely too, with Germany up last. We SHOULD have six points by that point, leaving us with a play-off for top spot.

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

aFubzR1.png

Oh dear...

So in our past two games, we've conceded ten goals, and scored two. And to make matters worse, we've played two sides we should be beating. Poland the Czech Republic are hardly terrible, but we shouldn't be losing in this manner. Terrible preparation for the summer.

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

Pre Tournament Friendlies

rMHQjwM.png

For those keeping score, that's now 14 goals conceded in 3 games, and only 4 scored. Right now I'll just be happy with not getting embarrassed in the World Cup with this kind of form.

EKLHuYJ.png

CP9Ev3o.png

More like it, but let's not pretend that those last two matches actually mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

oicJZOk.png

EqOnzpi.png

6dGGbNy.png

cjBdnF3.png

1CW2IsS.png

Other News

os3evYM.png

Interesting stuff, as one of my players comes out answering a question no-one seemed to be asking. Apparently I'm in trouble and "under-pressure". That Poland game must have hit harder than I thought.

84Yv54v.png

So now apparently if I lose against Algeria, I'll be out. After the first game of a World Cup campaign. And apparently they're our rivals. I think my media module is broken.

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

wzjiUsX.png

200.gif

Jobs under pressure, aye? Shove it.

After 37 minutes we were 4-0 up, and the only disappointment is that we didn't add to it, and that we didn't keep a clean-sheet. Otherwise, just wonderful.

Match Report

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

14rdcKh.png

DYTw5kV.png

fEdExYW.png

jrWhCjD.png

Other News

Yup...this again.

4NGzxna.png

So after, admittedly, two terrible results and a poor one (two of those were friendlies) then a dominant display in our opening World Cup game, I'm still on the verge of the sack. I'm actually starting to think that if I beat New Zealand, then lose to Germany, I might actually get kicked. I fully expect to go after the tournament now. I know I planned on doing that anyway, but I'll be a bit miffed if I get sacked.

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

k9g0VPD.png

Alright, two things. First, ALGERIA JUST BEAT GERMANY. If we can keep the score down, now even a defeat in the final game may not be enough to send us home. But now Germany look eminently beatable, so we'll be going out looking to get the 100%. We kept that hope alive by easily brushing off New Zealand, who didn't really put up any fight at all.

Match Report

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

8fJM7c9.png

The media described us as lucky, but I couldn't care less. We've vanquished Germany, in a tournament where I didn't really believe we could get out the group stage of. We now keep our 100% record, top the group, and go on to face Nigeria in the second round. Had we finished 2nd, we would be given a reunion with Portugal. No thanks.

Match Report

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

H1CynzX.png

OM6YRPU.png

It was perhaps inevitable when you take a step back and look at the results, but now confirmation that Germany have exited the World Cup at the group stage. After they were beaten by Algeria, they knew they would have to go out and get a result against us. Algeria were facing New Zealand, which is effectively a gimmie these days. They easily won, Germany lost, and they're going home already. Wonderful news for the North African "rivals".

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

pJ3qwNa.png

And that completes the line-up. We'll be facing Nigeria, as I said, with the possibility of a reunion with my Australia squad in the quarter finals. I'd say it was a kind half of the draw, but the sides are pretty well balanced. Still the possibility of meeting either Italy or Mexico in the semi.

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

lK3ZQ3Y.png

We're finding our groove now, and that makes it 13 goals for the tournament, and only 2 conceded. Anything from here would be a bonus - Croatia will be a tough opponent in the quarters, but we've reached par in my opinion.

Match Report

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

lJ8QuzL.png

The plot thickens.

Morocco got a hard-fought win against Turkey to set up a quarter final clash with Holland, who dispatched Argentina. Could we see an African winner? Unlikely, but I live in hope (as long as it isn't against us). It'll be an all Portuguese second quarter as Brazil face Portugal. The former battered England, and the latter sent brave Algeria home. I fully expect Italy to beat Switzerland, but the question is, will they be facing us in the next round, or Croatia?

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

Fe9lWiZ.png

I'm utterly speechless. I've had some big games in this save. Some absolutely wonderful moments. But I think this one tops them all.

After being so good so far in the tournament, I kind of expected us to continue here. And if we didn't, we'd go down fighting. When they trudged off at half-time, it looked like I'd misspoke, as Croatia absolutely dicked on us. Words can't describe how bad we were, and being down 3-0 in the quarter final of a World Cup at half-time meant some big words were needed. I prefer actions though, so I decided to go suicidal.

2tSqvqE.png

I moved players around, took players off, and threw on replacements, and this is what I came up with for the second half. Given the side had already watched Croatia dismantle them while at full strength, I'm sure our defenders were really looking forward to being even weaker there. But hey ho - we needed to go for it.

Seven minutes later we had a goal back. Green shoots of recovery, and ones that got greener as we added a 2nd. Suddenly it's 3-2, and we can see light. We pushed forward further, allowing Croatia to come into the tunnel, brick the gap up, and throw us back into darkness. At 4-2, we looked dead and buried. They threatened to add a 5th just a minute later, and we wobbled massively.

But then it happened. Esteban Abad got his hat-trick to bring it back to 4-3, and suddenly it was like an electric current was through the team. Juan Jose got the equaliser 4 minutes later, and then 3 minutes after that he slotted home a 5th to give us the lead for the first time on the night.

Of course, that then gave us a problem. Our suicidal 3-2-2-3 formation was now ludicrously exposed to a Croatia side that had let their eyes slip from our throat. They sure remembered where that throat was though, and went for it with gusto. Players were thrown backwards on the field, strikers into midfield, wingers into wing-backs, generally beating a hasty retreat. They pushed, they probed, but they couldn't break through and we closed out an amazing match.

And breathe.

Match Report

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

BSLP0Sv.png

Morocco have a huge chance to reach a World Cup Final in their match against Portugal, who have been less than impressive. For us, well there probably isn't a side I would have least liked to have faced right now. Many, many years ago, Scotland won a battle with Argentina in the World Cup Second Round (2018 I believe), and then got absolutely routed by a rampant Italy. Right now, Italy are an even better side than back then. This could go the same way.

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

ezUR6GU.png

200.gif

I actually thought they might get blown out of the water. What a horrible way to lose. Morocco were one kick away from the World Cup Final in the 5th round of penalties, but missed. Portugal then got their 6th, and Morocco didn't. Absolutely gutting.

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

p0510aU.png

I said it could happen again, and it pretty much did. Outclassed considerably, and really we can have no complaints after coming out of the bruising encounter with Croatia. Italy go on to face a misfiring Portugal in the final, and they'll be heavy favourites for that one.

Match Report

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

YEFkTDi.png

We did manage to finish 3rd though (sorry Morocco), after another great match.

p0PUcZw.png

Told you. Italy deserve their title, but I can't help but feel that it should've been us.

9Kunc9P.png

mqdefault.jpg

es@rfef.gif

Chapter 3 Part 15

A Brit Abroad

World Cup 2106

xOIha2o.png

iYCGnlj.png

ICXat2U.png

Wasn't so long ago I was on the verge of the sack. How times change.

It doesn't matter though, because...

OoUxGcn.png

I said when I took over that I was very unlikely to stick around after the World Cup, because now that jobs have opened up it gives me a chance at the trophies I need. Like the Copa America...

mqdefault.jpg

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

aCKSGly.png

m49g0xQ.png

KbzNVPr.png

iDI0Ybl.png

Clearly a Quarter Final exit was too much to bear for the Brazilian FA as they pulled the trigger on the previous manager post-tournament. Don't mind if I do. I'm now in charge of the best prospect for the Copa America next Summer. At which point...well, I think we all know what happens. I don't really want to stick around for four more years to try again, so here goes...

mqdefault.jpg

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

Q95rGyg.png

A motley assortment of friendlies organised for me, including the Superclasico. I thought it was just a yearly friendly between the two, but (this is speaking from future hindsight) it appears to pop up at random points. Although it's given a name, it's still essentially a friendly, albeit one with a little more pressure attached.

uxmSKXT.png

The current squad is like so. Strength is definitely going forward - as is Brazil's culture - but can't say we're too bad anywhere on the pitch. Key players are Andrade, Fagner (of Man City fame), Casca and Eduardo. And it's more than likely that they will be my front four most of the time. Ooft.

mqdefault.jpg

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

7m8aLlu.png

Uae09bN.png

mJpNDGY.png

e4lOMse.png

qzhVKaW.png

Five wins from five games, but I can't really say that we've caught on fire at any point. We've done just about enough, in a fashion that suggests that at one point, we're going to absolutely ragdoll someone.

mqdefault.jpg

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

Everybody loves a competition draw, so this time it's Copa America Edition.

CXaHsIc.png

fA7p5xD.png

Slightly different this time in that we take three seeded sides - ourselves, Chile and Argentina - and then assign the other nine sides from a 2nd pot. Means we could get some interesting groups, but then I see the three top seeds as being so far ahead that the group winners are almost a foregone conclusion.

Z0iO6G4.png

We avoid the two B-teams, and get put into Group C with Colombia, Uruguay and Venezuela. A few potential slip-ups there, but we should have enough.

mhskHOl.png

mqdefault.jpg

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

b0un9ci.png

Our unbeaten record is over after Togo shock us in a friendly away from home. Not that I was actively looking to keep the record for the sake of it, but it's very disappointing to lose in this fashion.

CHejheT.png

p8UNp2f.png

We round out our last friendlies before the tournament in decent fashion. Another two wins, making us 7-0-1 so far. You know what? If I go on to win the Copa winning every single game, I'll be absolutely raging about that Togo result...

mqdefault.jpg

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

And then just as everything is going so well, this happens...

rBXKl6m.png

I was just taking a look at what jobs were available following the previous season, and noticed the one job I had been waiting for. Juventus. With a side like that, you could be waiting years for the opportunity to get it again. I just had to go for it, even though they might frown upon me being in charge of Brazil.

1bBCFeQ.png

PNxzb1H.png

A5Ujiux.png

Dortmund, Barcelona and Chelsea also threw their hat into the ring, but I'm not interested. It's Turin or bust.

But it's tournament time now...what a time to be a Nicol.

mqdefault.jpg

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

Copa America 2107

3NwD2HV.png

ni0pnKs.png

QgL9VVg.png

Other News

DUI9b5S.png

cYSRbbl.png

It's happening. Juventus look like they're ready to take the plunge and offer me the job, but still I have to prepare for my Copa America matches. Luckily the Brazilian FA were used to members of their staff coming and going at all hours thanks to Ronaldinho, so it was all cool.

mqdefault.jpg

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

Copa America 2107

l6Eu55M.png

GA2jpNF.png

Other News

NXxaUse.png

5gQDHrV.png

I'll be Juventus manager next season. I didn't even know the delay until after a specific competition was an option, but since I promised them I would resign from my international job, I wasn't going to take over prior to the Copa America finishing. Best of both worlds now, and thankfully I can get the job I want right after the Brazil one.

mqdefault.jpg

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

Copa America 2107

EyGLUIm.png

Six points on the board, and given three could qualify from the group, we're home and dry. Just the final match against Uruguay to come now.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

Archived