[FM16] If I had a Nicol for every goal, I'd have just over six dollars

forameuss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

The Octadecagon Experiment

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

Copa America 2107

4NhpUTN.png

A wonderful draw for us really. Chile and Argentina face each other, so at least one of the favourites will be home before the semi final. We'll face Bolivia in the quarter, then hopefully either Mexico B (who I managed four years ago to the quarter final) or Peru (who beat my Mexico side at that stage four years ago).

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

Copa America 2107

ZIh07Vi.png

It'll be Peru vs Brazil in the semi final after two absolutely dour games of football. Seriously, pretty dreadful stuff. Still, we won, and we go on. Two games from the trophy.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

Match Report

mqdefault.jpg

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

Copa America 2107

ALgwwsM.png

Well look who's hitting form at the worst possible time...

It's Argentina vs Brazil in the final. God help us all.

mqdefault.jpg

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

Copa America 2107

MjeMMIw.png

YRILOXs.png

weby3u8.png

chA6g0I.png

8vN1e4n.png

200.gif

We did it. Argentina were disappointing in the end. The game was fairly even, but what chances Argentina did get they couldn't convert.

I did what I came here to do, now it's off to Turin with one more trophy in tow.

mqdefault.jpg

9362207.png?239

Chapter 3 Part 16

Bobby's Brazilian

Copa America 2107

MH9QBmy.png

NnyLnsy.png

fJvRdgO.png

mn3bwLX.png

Before I go, just a quick note about fixtures...

zYOOccW.png

eYqyzqD.png

I said I'd be raging if it happened, and I am. I could have won every single game in my year in charge, but instead I'm sitting at 13-0-1. 6-0-0 competitively, but that doesn't really matter. Sigh.

But anyway...

WJ0CuuG.png

LfvM0jN.png

They came back to offer the job, and of course I jumped at it. Immediately resigning from Brazil too. Off to Turin I go.

mqdefault.jpg

Before I start, one more look at how we're progressing through the challenge.

World

FIFA World Cup

FIFA World Club Cup

FIFA Confederations Cup

Africa

African Champions League

African Cup of Nations

CAF Confederations Cup

Asia

Asian Champions League

Asian Nations Cup

AFC Cup

North America

CONCACAF Champions League

CONCACAF Gold Cup

South America

Copa Libertadores

Copa America

Copa Sudamericana

Europe

UEFA Champions League

UEFA European Championships

UEFA Europa League

Oceania

Oceanic Nations Cup - Unavailable

Only one more trophy crossed off, but it's a big one. We've now "completed" South America, North America, Africa and Asia. If this was the Pentagon, we'd be one trophy from the summit. As it is, we have five to go, two of which we can knock out with Juventus.

My plan now depends on a few things. If I perform way above expectations and win the Champions League this season, and the Club World Cup the next, then I'll be able to leave club football behind and concentrate on Internationals again. The European Championships start next summer, meaning a raft of jobs will come up in a years time. If I've won the Champions League - big if - then I'll take one on to dual manage until Christmas, where I'll hopefully win the Club World Cup then resign. That'll leave me facing a World Cup campaign (again, hopefully) before settling in for the 2112 Euros, the 2113 Confederations Cup, and then perhaps closing out the entire challenge after the 2114 World Cup.

Seems easy, right?

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

BeRN3WI.png

It's times like these that I wish you could carry on a career from a previous player. This should be fanfare time, drawing back on my time with Juventus as a player, but unfortunately it isn't. Bobby's come home, and he's got his eye on the trophy with the big ears.

o0NijdE.png

Not many people need an introduction to Juventus, but here it is. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as the Stadio delle Alpi or the Juventus Stadium anymore, having moved into one of the more unimaginatively named stadiums. They've won three Champions League trophies in the life of this save - let's make it four.

3sbJZ7y.png

CiKsQng.png

Squad depth is good. I'd like a better goalkeeper, but his quality is being pushed down by how good we are elsewhere. Filippo "The General" Generali is one of the standout players.

pmTor54.png

Our youth squad is pretty bare, but I'll accept that with one of them being Paulo Ronzani. He'll be promoted immediately to the first team squad, hopefully we can give him some time to help him reach his potential.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

Transfers

7clv5KO.png

8mfEzcq.png

I'm happy with the depth of the squad, but we could do with letting a couple go. So we did. A bit of money into the coffers.

QpSrNIF.png

Asier Exteberria joins us on loan, organised by my Director of Football. I plan on letting him identify targets, then I'll have the final say either way. Worked fairly well at other clubs, and he usually finds players I don't. Of course, it'll mean he'll repeatedly try to sign players for positions he thinks we need players in, and I disagree...

7sEX1Bb.png

Hard to disagree with any of this. Good to see where the board believes we fit in to the Champions League race. Quarter finals will be par, but obviously we'll be going out to win it. God it's been ages since I've played in a knockout tournament over two legs - can't we just play one like in the International tournaments? Oh, and one more little point. Guess where the Champions League Final is? Hampden. Written. In. The Stars.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

n3uR8bH.png

Champions League drawn, and it's a pretty stinking one to be honest. Brentford might sound like a good draw, but they are absolutely not. The Premier League money has caused the creation of some absolute super clubs, Brentford being one of them. They're the top seeds, and easily the team to worry about. But then there's also Sporting in there.

It'd just be so undignified if I get put out at the group stage, wouldn't it?

hlMgWng.png

One more signing, and it's Alphons Moor on a free transfer. Nice little bit of depth, and he should be able to do a job for us when asked.

August Results

mtCgUET.png

Quite a late season start in Italy, meaning a whole load of friendlies to play before the real stuff. We did play two league games, and they went wonderfully. Including a convincing win against big rivals AC Milan. I think I'm going to enjoy Turin.

S10QXC6.png

E53cAkt.png

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

News

TBdQDBI.png

50-1. Big odds, but until we kick a ball in the group stage, it's hard to visualise exactly where we are. Two Germans, Two French and two English in the six favourites.

September Results

2hWuwcz.png

Think it's fair to say it's been a mixed month.

A very comfortable win in our first Champions League game gave us hope, but Brentford - 33-1 shots - showed us where our place was in the group. A crushing 4-0 defeat that leaves us wondering whether we have what it takes. Of course, not winning the competition isn't going to be a failure, but it's kind of my thing at clubs, taking teams on the cusp, smashing through a couple of seasons and getting out before everything falls apart. If I don't do the smashing part, what happens?

q2THsF2.png

In the league we had a very disappointing defeat to early pace-setters Fiorentina. We did alright elsewhere though, so not too bad, but I need to be careful. The last time I managed Juventus in this challenge, my league form suffered so much that I ended up not qualifying for the Champions League the following season. Luckily I managed to win it instead, but still...

siFbRPR.png

EpdbvQ6.png

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

October Results

SRhhUY9.png

Worrying times consistency-wise, as we can't seem to string two results together.

Champions League saw us draw our only game, leaving the group looking pretty worrying. Brentford seem to be running away with it, but that draw with Sporting has pulled them back into it. A win would have really pulled us clear and given us a bit of breathing space, but it's now touch and go whether we can get that 2nd spot. It's absolutely imperative that we beat Sporting in the return.

In the league it's 3-1-1. Not too bad, but we're dropping silly points at times, and losing to title rivals at others. Poor.

kISnKRv.png

Looks like it'll be tight at the top this season. We may be dropping points, but so are the rest of them.

9lIBVO7.png

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

News

KcgwzZY.png

Not bad, a derby in the first round (well, for us at least) of the cup.

November Results

iwDUdAO.png

Oh for fu...

I said it was imperative that we beat Sporting, and we did. a good 2-0 win puts us right back on track for 2nd place. But then the team decided that instead of being back on track, they'd rather be spiralling off their edge to their proverbial deaths. So they lost to Malmo. Awful.

8JeMDJe.png

But despite our awfulness, Sporting have had an absolute nightmare. They could only pick up a single point against Malmo to add to the one they got against us. They lost both games to Brentford, just like Malmo. Those points tallies mean that we've qualified in second with a game to spare on head to head, thanks to that huge opening day win. Who'd have thought that after our first three games? Brentford have strolled into the distance, so our final group game will be a total dead rubber. May just play the U21s, **** it.

In the league, once again we looked great for the most part, but then tossed away our good work with a convincing defeat to Catania. If we could just sort out our consistency, we'd have no issues domestically.

TnNztqw.png

kF8DG51.png

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

News

4wgLixq.png

I'm so good at running the club, that they decide to let me be a bit more irresponsible. Lovely. Of course, this is where the whole "short-termism" comes in.

December Results

yvqHeyz.png

Brentford predictably handed out another lesson, but outside of that we finally managed to get through a month unbeaten domestically. We also progressed in the cup, which is a relief as knowing some of the more "passionate" elements of Italian club support, they'd probably have burned Turin down had we lost to Torino.

jMaGcvn.png

Nsk15IF.png

7 points...that's ****.

But after being beaten down by a non-traditional English side, where would we be heading in the first knockout round?

bumUxbz.png

Only bloody Plymouth! I mean, seriously, what is going on in England?

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

News

eG0ULSj.png

You leave me alone for one minute with some money, and look what happens. I go and buy a forward. Paride Sonzogni joins for a big fee, and now that he's here I'm not even sure why I bought him. Like those garish yellow jorts that you found in the sale. I mean, they look good, but...why? Paride is one for the future, which doesn't really fit how I'm going to be managing Juventus, but should make a nice present for the next manager. Maybe.

kRUnpXO.png

This is more like it. Jake Washburn is more like that sturdy pair of shoes you bought. You spent a bit of money, but you can see they'll be worth it long term.

Metaphors still working?

gA0Cat7.png

Cameron Dodd...is like...I don't really know. Good back-up for The General behind the striker.

3ABO4Lm.png

Oh and one more thing...yes, this is Allesandro del Piero warning us about an opponent. That will be the 134 year-old Del Piero. Look, I know Italians have a great diet that sees them lead long lives, but that's getting ridiculous. Him and Emile Heskey are still playing in Australia too I imagine.

January Results

ZXzfEzS.png

Back to normal it seems. We progressed in the cup, but again our league form is patchy, following the familiar "win-most-draw-some-lose-some" pattern. I know it's not the end of the world, but if we drop five or so points every month, that adds up. That'd be fifteen points as we approach the run-in in May. We can't keep doing that.

v2rbShX.png

Luckily though, we're not alone. Seems that no-one really wants to win this league, and we remain three points clear at the top. If we can just get a good month in February, we could pull away and set a tough target for Napoli to overhaul.

zawCq0U.png

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

February Results

NIcbIjI.png

Right, where to start...

I guess in the Eder Arena, as Plymouth paid us a visit. Not quite what I hoped for as we went down 2-1 in the first leg. That's two away goals for the men from the South coast, leaving us needing at least two goals when we visit in a few weeks time. That's a big, big ask.

Elsewhere, I asked for a good February to put some distance between us and Napoli. The team responded by at least not losing any games, although we did draw two games, including one against Napoli themselves. Bitterly disappointing after we led twice - a win would have really put down a marker, and could well have put us in line for the title.

In the cup, we just about blew it, but held on while Fiorentina battered us in the 2nd leg. A 1-0 defeat wasn't enough to send them through, and we triumphed on away goals. Into the final we go, where we'll face the giants of AC Milan.

KgsogUF.png

That draw with Napoli could come back to haunt us. Still 11 games to go, but a gap of 4 points should have been 7. That would have been a big lead to chase down for them.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

March Results

FYmCiq9.png

Big, big month.

In the league we still dropped two points we shouldn't, but won our other three games to put us in a strong position with just 7 games left.

But it was the Champions League that we really shone in. Plymouth had set down a marker, but a thriller in the South saw us win 3-2 and go through on away goals.

hTXBvNZ.png

1uDgWZS.png

And who are we rewarded with in the Quarter Final? Is it another English side that you wouldn't expect? Like Crawley, Accrington, or Salford?

3UsDE1X.png

No, it's Marseille. Don't be silly.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

April Results

LgpGpID.png

That's the sound of a Turin motor speeding into the distance as we leave our rivals behind in a wonderful April.

Oh yeah, and the dream continued as we beat Marseille in the Champions League Quarter Finals. A great first leg looked to be turning sour in the second as they tied things up at 2-2. They looked the most likely to score again, but saw their lack of an away goal become their downfall early in the second half. 3-2 on aggregate, and we're into the semi final, where we'll face tournament favourites Evian. Water draw. Ahaha.

Oh, and those league results we got? It was enough to get this...

l69jHHI.png

ch0zBPm.png

Napoli didn't just fall away, they plummeted. Cagliari are the new 2nd placed side, and have a chance of Champions League football, while Fiorentina hang in there. None of them can catch us though, and the title is ours. That's our first title in 8 years.

RRgvTqx.png

And here's how the rest of the season shapes up. Essentially, it's a two-game series. Lose to Evian and we're left kicking our heels until next year, with only a cup final to look forward to. Beat them, and we'll have one more game to clinch the trophy we're desperate for. At Hampden.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

Water Wars

Aq8IX8d.png

A wonderful first leg result all things considered. I usually prefer playing at home in the first leg so I can deny them away goals, but I'll definitely take an away goal in the first. We now take them back to Turin knowing that if we keep a clean sheet, we're going to Hampden.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

Water Wars

B1OoAqg.png

They were Mig-well beaten.

A wonderful performance from my side, and we've put out the favourites in brutal fashion. We're now one game away from the trophy, and it'll be played out in the soulless bowl that is Hampden Park. I'm buying my ticket to Mount Florida as we speak.

f2FXdTc.png

But who will we face in the final? Well, some of you may know them. Bobby certainly does.

DBOOeCz.png

I'll meet Manchester City, a side I left just a few years ago. Subplots abound.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

ylAOITB.png

The league games mattered very little to be honest, but good to see some strong performances.

IwFXqga.png

11 points clear in the end. Absolutely strolled it. Murphy Mandanda also set a record this season for average rating, at 8.17. At least someone was consistent. He also won Player of the Year. Filipe Miguel obviously won the top goalscorer award, and guess who won the Manager of the Year? Boaby did.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

Now, before we wrap up the season, I want to tell you a bit of a story about a certain man that I managed at Manchester City. Fabio Amico.

0jqPAbr.png

He won Footballer of the YEar this year, because he's absolutely brilliant. He was a stand-out during my short time there, and has won the Balloon Door award (I'm not calling it it's real name) multiple times. Basically, he's a poster-boy for Italian football.

You can probably see where this is going.

LlbxPAG.png

Yeah...as soon as I found out I was playing Manchester City, I did something I very rarely do. I declared my interest in him, and told the media what they wanted to hear, that I would do anything to make him mine. Blood pacts and everything. He will cost an absolute fortune, but even if I fail to sign him, I'm hoping it does enough to unsettle him that he'll have an absolute nightmare in the upcoming final.

SZ2H44U.png

Manchester's **** Fabio. It always rains. Italy's lovely. We can go to Rome, get some gelato, see the Pope. Maybe catch a gondola on the Grand Canal. It'll be lovely.

Then, on the eve of the match...

RM0t580.png

Shots fired. There was no way they'd accept it, but it's not really about that yet. Yet.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

TIM Cup Final

4BFD4RU.png

Hands held up, they were better than us. We looked oddly listless in this match, and although I rested a few players, it was nowhere near enough of them to justify this dross. Luckily, I don't really care about the Cup trophy, although it would've been nice. I'd have taken an 8-0 shellacking if it meant we win the big one.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

hEUIjaw.png

Champions League Final

igj9RJ5.png

AV1Ruj1.png

All set for battle, but what's this?

hZgz2Wt.png

Oh Fabio, you absolute beauty! I don't care how much it costs, you're coming to Turin next season. But only if you throw the match, ok?

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

hEUIjaw.png

Champions League Final

3M5eWMm.png

Fabio Amico starts on the left, but surely he won't be in the right state of mind to perform? We stick with the same system we've played all season, and if we play to our strengths, we stand a decent chance.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

hEUIjaw.png

Champions League Final

JedpToU.png

msVJiQv.png

Njl5UtB.png

"History holds a place for me". That has quite the ring to it. I decided to take a look at the club legends, and was surprised to find myself there after just one Champions League win. Then I realised that that was Bobby Nicol the player, and not Bobby Nicol the manager. I'm just favoured personnel. But then really I'm both.

cO0YTiv.png

And Amico with a 6.5 rating.

Suck it, Dodds. Suck. It. Hard.

That Amico thing has just shot this story up to a whole new level. :applause:

572364fed8dc4_Ripeduardkhilyouwillalwaysberememberedtrololoman_ccb596_3759387.gif.dfb90d2eadaff09f865c76d83b890541.gif

Now, hopefully Bobby is better at handling the media than the Glengarries were. ;)

That's the annoying thing, I'm not. I'm guessing that my International rep to start with helped with that, plus I'm never really around at clubs long enough for them to build up a hatred for my media handling.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

End of Season Stuff

JJEcAXU.png

Paolo Ronzani didn't quite have as many appearances as I hoped for, but when he was called upon, he looks a wonderful prospect for the future.

V5Krdao.png

Paolo also won Young Player of the Year. The rest of the awards went much like I expected them to.

p1UJD2g.png

hDmejFR.png

O2NWqgI.png

"Untouchable"

I'm now entering my final season in charge of a club (hopefully) with the Club World Cup coming up in December. If I win that, then I'll either hang around until the end of the season if we're doing well, or get the hell out of there if we're not.

Next up, Project Amico.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

Fabio Amico

Although I had tremendous fun causing the complete mental collapse of an opposition player, the real reason I did it was because I honestly have him as my sole target this season. H

F48mY67.png

So look who I hooked. The FM transfer system is pretty simple to me - it's obvious when a club really doesn't want to sell, and this isn't the behaviour of a team who won't sell. Unfortunately for them, I think their original rejection unsettled Fabio, so it's just a matter of finding a figure.

YoChbxY.png

Yeah...no...I'm not going to pay that.

But after a bit of negotiation...

HQUa2xW.png

Welcome Fabio. It only cost me £74 million (up front, there were other clauses) and a fortune in wages, but I've got my man.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

Transfers

PC14Afa.png

fibifyy.png

With Fabio Amico incoming, we needed to bring in some money, otherwise there'd be no more business. Two players leave, bringing in quite a bit of money for guys that weren't really doing much at the club.

3jsBNk3.png

As the window opened, Fabio joined us, along with David Eichelbaum on a free transfer.

vwOjoRk.png

Because of course it did. That's what happens when you buy a legendary Italian player for a legendary Italian club.

F76dnv0.png

Czvp7IF.png

Jose Eduardo Martinez and Christoph Estl also joins us for the final assault on that key trophy.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

99hvmzF.png

R4D7Hsg.png

And I better hope that we get that final trophy, because we're dual managing again. It's back to Scotland, because of course it is. I intend to make this save go full circle by finishing off the final trophies with them. We do have Nations League fixtures, but happy to let them be controlled by an assistant while I finish off with Juventus.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

*deep breath*

Right, here goes. I'm going to cover the next few months in condensed form, because to be honest I'd rather just withdraw from the league so we can manage purely in the Club World Cup, but alas, not allowed.

ti2usvf.png

The Italian equivalent of the Community Shield ended with AC Milan lifting the trophy. Disappointing, but hey ho.

dT3rWcV.png

But this is better. I'd have much rather lifted the Super Cup, and we did just that by beating Rangers.

skEhC9C.png

ITjKWRO.png

R1ptpZU.png

NaYA65E.png

bikadBe.png

uOPIrXL.png

So...yeah. We've been absolute ****. The Bobby Nicol effect is alive and well, managing to dismantle successful teams the very next season, before leaving half way through. It was a genuine worry at points that i might get sacked before we reached the Club World Cup. We could still win the league, but it's unlikely. We could well be out of the Champions League too, which has massive ramifications if we don't win the Club World Cup. We'll then have two more seasons at least until we can try again. That would be disastrous. Fabio Amico has shown flashes of quality, but not has spent a lot of time injured.

But before we headed off for that competition, we did manage to win our final group game. Unfortunately, other results didn't go our way, and we ended up 3rd.

pkAXy8P.png

Sad face.

That makes our next two games absolutely crucial.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

ZpPEGfn.png

We'll face Japanese opposition in the Semi Final, for the right to face Boca Juniors in the Final.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

1eeieYm.png

t8pgfJ6.png

SNri5Sr.png

mfA8Kao.png

"Comfortable" doesn't quite cover it. On another day, they could have got something from this game. Didn't fill me with confidence ahead of a game against a good side.

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

RSRXW96.png

UJzhQRR.png

VLi44c0.png

x9eb0y9.png

It was just written in the stars, wasn't it?

Fabio Amico has been pretty poor to be honest, at least by his high standards. But today he showed exactly why we shelled all that money out for him. A hat-trick in the final of a competition we really, really needed to win, and that has ended my club management career on a high.

Ja62cPx.png

VqolQwN.png

mqdefault.jpg

45.png

Chapter 3 Part 17

The Old Lady

odtis5X.png

Bobby Nicol packs his bags and waves goodbye to Turin once again. Maybe he'll be back post retirement, but right now he's got a date in Glasgow to keep.

mqdefault.jpg

newsfa.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 18

Doing it for Archie

FIFA World Cup Qualifying Group 7

Matchday 2

rCdIixH.png

We drop out of matchday 2 for our first rest day, and predictably Germany strolled through their game.

695eeEf.png

Archived