FM16: Integrating "Ralfball"

OeVXQvk.png

The mighty Red Bull has taken over the soccer world. Love or hate them, you cannot deny the impact they have with other sides' playing styles (Schmidt's Leverkusen). Yes, that is right. The soccer you see under those sides are an unique adaptation of the philosophy of Ralf Rangick.

wxQqMJk.jpg

Who is this guy? Exactly. Not many people knows his work outside of the RB fandom and I unfortunately cannot tell you everything hes done for the RB teams but you can take a look at some links down below if you want to know.

In laymans term, he is the Pat Riley of the operation. He puts his stamp on almost everything the team does on the field. The teams adhere to his philosophy: press and attack with swift short passes.

Ryan Tank has an article showing an example of this masterpiece against Bayern in the Europa League.

https://ryantank100.wordpress.com/2015/02/10/rbs-3-0-fc-bayern-roger-schmidt-tactical-analysis/

And here is a video made by someone on Vimeo

[video=vimeo;89108219]

When Roger Schmidt left RB Salzburg for Lseverkusen, he did not take his philosophy with him. Why? Because Ralf thats why.

The team still plays the same as if the German coach never left.

Ralf has resigned as Sporting Director of RBS but he has retained his title in RBL and is now their head coach. But he has made an impact for other RB teams. My favorite team, NYRB plays the same way as the others and they have just won the MLS Supporters' Shield. This is the second time they have won it. We all had doubts about our season after our favorite, Mike Petke, was fired but Ralfball saved the day and the season. It has even made Jesse Marsch a good coach :D

He too will be thanking as he was an embarrassment of a soccer coach until he came here. RBS have already won two doubles in two

straight seasons under Ralf's rule.

RBL are contending for an auto promotion spot under him. Now all can see how this happened. Because Ralf

Other useful links:

http://www.onceametro.com/2015/9/2/9075283/ralf-ball-new-york-red-bulls-austria-rangnick-ali-curtis-jesse-marsch-mls-rb-leipzig-salzburg/in/9202722

http://www.onceametro.com/2015/9/13/9319257/ralfball-pushes-players-to-be-creative-new-york-red-bulls-rb-leipzig-ralf-rangnick-mls/in/9202722

http://www.onceametro.com/2015/9/27/9404013/ralfball-is-about-sharing-new-york-red-bulls-rb-leipzig-free-kick-orlando-city-mls/in/9202722

http://www.onceametro.com/2015/10/5/9458197/ralfball-is-about-caring-new-york-red-bulls-mls-rb-leipzig-red-bull-salzburg/in/9202722

http://www.onceametro.com/2015/10/16/9349831/ralfball-gegenpressing-new-york-red-bulls-mls-jesse-marsch-ralf-rangnick-rb-leipzig-salzburg/in/9202722

http://www.onceametro.com/2015/10/18/9562761/ralfball-new-york-red-bulls-jochen-schneider-oliver-mintzlaff-dietrich-mateschitz-ralf-rangnick/in/9202722

http://www.onceametro.com/2015/10/19/9548103/ralfball-tactics-edition-the-formation-jesse-marsch-ali-curtis-new-york-red-bulls-ralf-rangnick/in/9202722

Now we move on to the tactic. I can say this, the hardest thing to do is to get the "zonal pressing" of the team. When they don't have the ball, they would press all over the midfield and the backline to get it back but after the ball gets passed the midfield, they'll "ease off" the pressing and tackle hard instead.

Attacking

RB sides are always attacking. Always pushing up high up the field. They don't play an Offside Trap or go for a more cautious apporach unlike ManU or Barca.

Very Fluid

Everyone is expected to contribute on both sides of the field. Defence and Attack. Also given a lot of freedom on the attack

QJCwZEs.png

As you can see, I've opted on a flat 4-4-2. RB teams played in two banks of four when defending. This can give attackers a headache.

TIs:

Work Ball Into Box/Play Out Of Defense

The ball is usually played on the ground instead of hoofball. When attacking, the shots aren't usually from distance unless thy name is Son

Look for Overlap

This is used to find a supporting man overlapping.

Much Higher Tempo

How high you want the tempo? How about higher? The teams were swift when they were attacking

Run At Defense

Nothing needs explaining here

Play Much Narrower

The team was close to each other to a point that they can press collectively

Higher Defensive Line

The line was well up the field. So, why not up the line much higher?

Close Down Much More/Get Stuck In/Tighter Marking

Nothing here needs explaining

Whipped Crossing

Crosses are quick and swift as the attacks

Exploit the Flanks or Middle

Depends on who you are facing

PIs

SK (d): Tackle Harder, Roll It Out, Distribute Quickly, Distribute to CB

I'm playing with a high line so I don't want any passes not swooped up and taken care of

CWB (a) x 2

These guys will be expected to bomb forward and provide the width when in attack

BPD (x): Tackle Harder, Pass It Shorter

BPD ©: Tackle Harder, Pass It Shorter, Close Down Much Less

One center back is expected to be the aggressive one and the other covers him.

WP (a) x 2: Get Further Foward

Two Interiors expecting to bomb forward with the center mids covering for them.

DLP (d)/BWM (d)

A creator from deep and a vaccum cleaner. Both men are expected to cover for the wide men and occassionally contribute to the attack

F9 (s): Roam From Position

This will be someone who drops deep and links the midfield and attack. Think of Son or Bellerabi for Leverkusen.

AF (a): Roam From Position

The leader of the line and the man expecting to goal boatloads of goals.

Now as RyanTank as said already. The RB teams are not expected to press everywhere but they are expected to do so in around the midfield area. I've gathered some trial and error, but I think I got it

7ivQnoq.png

The players will not go near the goalie as often and then they will leave the center backs alone and only when they have the ball, they will pounce. The strikers and attacking mids will be hard tackled except for the wingers. Its still in its initial stage but you will observe what happened in the next post

This was the first game with this tactic and you can already see the impact.

VRgMdEY.png

I was playing against Fulham. They played a 4-1-4-1 formation. This meant that I had to Exploit the Middle.

[video=youtube;OG5UbOSRhU4]

We lost the ball from a throw-in but take a look at the pressure we applied to their defence. Their LB was forced to play the ball back to the CBs and they could not get to it due to the bad pass and Anthony Martial was there to smash it in.

Who is Pat Riley?

HOF Head Coach and current Miami Heat President in basketball

--------------

Boys and Girls, I have changed a few TIs. After two consecutive 0-0 results to Everton and West Brom.

I took out Play out of Defense and Look for Overlap and I opted for Pass It Shorter and Pass Into Space as replacements. Not only I'm getting positive results but I'm getting goals that feels right and it seems a lot more closer to the way RB teams play

nice post , i'll try to make something like that.

i created the opposition instructions and in my staff responsabilities , i'm the one who is responsible for this .

when playing a game , everything is blank (weaker foot, closing down) , will it use the opposition instr that i filled in when creating the tactic ?

What is the thinking in exploiting the middle when facing a 4-1-4-1?

The center mids leaves some gaps in the middle to exploit when they go forward

Why did you select hard tackling? If i recall correctly, that instruction is responsible for increasing the number of sliding tackles, which you don't need when building a pressing system.

I want my players to fight when winning the ball back. Will it cause slide tackles?? Maybe but usually there's another nearby if the slide tackles fails...

nice post , i'll try to make something like that.

i created the opposition instructions and in my staff responsabilities , i'm the one who is responsible for this .

when playing a game , everything is blank (weaker foot, closing down) , will it use the opposition instr that i filled in when creating the tactic ?

Yes, when you are in the opposition instructions screen, you can click "Show Positions", and there it is

The center mids leaves some gaps in the middle to exploit when they go forward

I want my players to fight when winning the ball back. Will it cause slide tackles?? Maybe but usually there's another nearby if the slide tackles fails...

Yes, when you are in the opposition instructions screen, you can click "Show Positions", and there it is

when i click on show positions its empty .. reported this as a bug.

How do you apply the oppo instructions? I've set them in the tactics creator, but can't seem to apply it before the match without having to do it manually all over again.

Now we move on to the tactic. I can say this, the hardest thing to do is to get the "zonal pressing" of the team. When they don't have the ball, they would press all over the midfield and the backline to get it back but after the ball gets passed the midfield, they'll "ease off" the pressing and tackle hard instead.

Attacking

RB sides are always attacking. Always pushing up high up the field. They don't play an Offside Trap or go for a more cautious apporach unlike ManU or Barca.

Very Fluid

Everyone is expected to contribute on both sides of the field. Defence and Attack. Also given a lot of freedom on the attack

QJCwZEs.png

As you can see, I've opted on a flat 4-4-2. RB teams played in two banks of four when defending. This can give attackers a headache.

TIs:

Work Ball Into Box/Play Out Of Defense

The ball is usually played on the ground instead of hoofball. When attacking, the shots aren't usually from distance unless thy name is Son

Look for Overlap

This is used to find a supporting man overlapping.

Much Higher Tempo

How high you want the tempo? How about higher? The teams were swift when they were attacking

Run At Defense

Nothing needs explaining here

Play Much Narrower

The team was close to each other to a point that they can press collectively

Higher Defensive Line

The line was well up the field. So, why not up the line much higher?

Close Down Much More/Get Stuck In/Tighter Marking

Nothing here needs explaining

Whipped Crossing

Crosses are quick and swift as the attacks

Exploit the Flanks or Middle

Depends on who you are facing

PIs

SK (d): Tackle Harder, Roll It Out, Distribute Quickly, Distribute to CB

I'm playing with a high line so I don't want any passes not swooped up and taken care of

CWB (a) x 2

These guys will be expected to bomb forward and provide the width when in attack

BPD (x): Tackle Harder, Pass It Shorter

BPD ©: Tackle Harder, Pass It Shorter, Close Down Much Less

One center back is expected to be the aggressive one and the other covers him.

WP (a) x 2: Get Further Foward

Two Interiors expecting to bomb forward with the center mids covering for them.

DLP (d)/BWM (d)

A creator from deep and a vaccum cleaner. Both men are expected to cover for the wide men and occassionally contribute to the attack

F9 (s): Roam From Position

This will be someone who drops deep and links the midfield and attack. Think of Son or Bellerabi for Leverkusen.

AF (a): Roam From Position

The leader of the line and the man expecting to goal boatloads of goals.

Now as RyanTank as said already. The RB teams are not expected to press everywhere but they are expected to do so in around the midfield area. I've gathered some trial and error, but I think I got it

7ivQnoq.png

The players will not go near the goalie as often and then they will leave the center backs alone and only when they have the ball, they will pounce. The strikers and attacking mids will be hard tackled except for the wingers. Its still in its initial stage but you will observe what happened in the next post

How do you apply the oppo instructions? I've set them in the tactics creator, but can't seem to apply it before the match without having to do it manually all over again.

it works .. just do it one time manual, then when playing a game click on 'show positions' then u will see the instructions u pre selected. (didn't noticed it first)

Been playing with this tactic through a couple of experimental seasons so far. Works very well in terms of possession and shots. CCC's arent always as easy to come by and although I have been relatively successful (better than any of my attempts so far and other tactics for the beta so far) I am getting a very high number of yellow and red cards which may be down to the tackling side.

Hi guys, this has been for me a great tactic, it works ridiculously well irrespective of your players for the most part yet after the latest update, 10/11/2015 it seems totally nerfed. Defenders tend to go long more often, there are far more defensive errors like poor positioning and backpasses and generally on key highlights there are far less things that get shown. Just wondered if anyone else has had these issues and OP could there be a solution? Thanks.

I noticed a bit of a downgrade of my narrow 4-3-3 but I was still able to win the PL with Everton on season 2. And I din't bring in heavy names (just signed Gourcuff on a free, Adam Forshaw for 3M, and signed Jovic and Zivkovic). I was able to hold onto Stones and Lukaku. But still was a good season.

I'm still getting results it just seems as though the attacking elements of the ME have been totally nerfed. Nobody takes anyone on anymore and most goals come from counters irrespective of your system which is annoying. It is almost like the reverse of most FM Beta experiences. Like usually the iffy ME comes at the very initial release and is sorted by the end, complete reversal this time.

Been using this great tactic with Red Bull Leipzig and won Bundesliga 2 in the first season and ran 6th in Bundesliga and won the German Cup in season 2. As seen below I have had no problems with the latest update nerfing my tactic. The update kicked in just before the Frankfurt game which I lost 1 - 2 on 11/2/17.

file:///C:/Users/Michael/Documents/Sports%20Interactive/Football%20Manager%202016/RBL%20Season%202.htm

file:///C:/Users/Michael/Documents/Sports%20Interactive/Football%20Manager%202016/RBL%20Season%202.htm

I know it's a bit OT but I've been making a few more tests and what I noticed is that 1-1 situations have been nerfed heavily( FM15 heavy). Seems like those situations are gone back again to what we saw in FM2015 where it was rare for a 1-1 situation to be finished properly.

I also agree with the number of goals being scored by random counter attacks now. So I can see what people are talking about. Sham really.

HOF Head Coach and current Miami Heat President in basketball

--------------

Boys and Girls, I have changed a few TIs. After two consecutive 0-0 results to Everton and West Brom.

I took out Play out of Defense and Look for Overlap and I opted for Pass It Shorter and Pass Into Space as replacements. Not only I'm getting positive results but I'm getting goals that feels right and it seems a lot more closer to the way RB teams play

Just a question for you mod43, have you implemented the changes noted above?

Archived