• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28/02/2019 at 18:32, Crowy said:

324d90df46f21b0dea4.png

Gremio 2027

Club Overview ~ Finances ~ League Table ~ Squad

So I've resigned from Atalanta, I was looking towards the Liverpool and River Plate jobs as they were very insecure. Unfortunately, neither teams sacked their manager and Gremio approached me the main reason I took the job is that they're still in to the Copa Libertadores.

After a few months struggling to find saves with FM, I've decided to continue this save from this point. It's the only real save I've enjoyed this year and I'd love to complete it. When I reloaded my save the last save point was just after retiring from Atalanta, but I've taken the same path and become manager of Gremio.

CAREER PROGRESS

1039136111_CareerProgress.thumb.png.8a12eea4e7046e8c5420defccc1df8a1.png

220px-Borussia_Dortmund_logo_svg.png.af1f600911986029cbd2da7899c39ebf.png

Season 2028/29 - Borussia Dortmund

Before the season started I took over as manager of France after the 2028 Euro's. After finishing 2nd last season we entered the transfer market as I continued to lower the age of the squad and as a result we even made a profit while doing so. In the 2 and a bit season's here I've lowered the age from 27 to 24. Bayern had a shocking start and we had a 7 point lead over them after just 6 games and it turned out that Red Bull would be our biggest challenge. A shock home defeat to Dusseldorf in the last game before the winter break meant we went into that break level on points with Red Bull. 9 straight league wins coming out of that (including beating Red Bull and Bayern) opened up a nice lead that we never lost and we won the title by 6 points in the end.

In the cups we had a pretty tough group of PSG, Napoli and Legia. We ended up finishing 2nd behind PSG. We then beat Juventus both home and away, 1/4 finals and we had Liverpool, 3 late goals from us (all after the 85th minute) gave us a slightly flattering 4-0 win. The 3-1 away defeat meant little. Man City in the Semis and a 1-0 home win gave us a chance but another 3-1 defeat ended our run
In the German cup we had a few struggles but managed to get to the final where we beat Mainz to secure a double.

No interesting jobs currently so I might stay here for another crack at the champions league while keeping an eye on the job market.

france-nylon.thumb.jpg.d7ae4827623b39086a07e01c2e9690f7.jpg

Not a great deal to say here, a bit like with Dortmund I'm trying to lower the age of the squad (I dropped the 35 year old Paul Pogba) we won our Nations League group but then fell in the semi finals to Germany. World cup at the end of this season which is the target.

Career Progress

Season	 Team			Country		League		Position	Notes
2018/19 Tshakhuma		South Africa	1st Division	3rd 		Lost in playoffs
2019/20 Tshakhuma		South Africa	1st Division	1st 		Promoted as champions
2020/21 Tshakhuma		South Africa	Premier League	4th 		Cup runners up
2021/22 Tshakhuma		South Africa 	Premier League  4th 		Cup winners, left on 11/3/22
2021/22 Orlando Pirates 	South Africa	Premier League  2nd 		took over in 5th on 11/3/22
2022/23 Orlando Pirates		South Africa	Premier League  1st 		League & Champions League winners
2023	Guangzhou Evergrande	China		CSL		1st 		Took over with 13 games to go. Won league
2024	Guangzhou Evergrande	China		CSL		1st 		Won league, cup and champions league
2025	LAFC			USA		MLS		1st 		Won supporters shield and MLS Cup
2026	LAFC			USA		MLS		8th 		won champions league and cup
2026/27 Borussia Dortmund	GER		Bundesliga	5th 		Took over in 5th with 8 games to go
2027/28 Borussia Dortmund	GER		Bundesliga	2nd 
2028/29 Borussia Dortmind	GER		Bundesliga	1st 		League and cup double	

International

2021/22		Ivory Coast	World Cup qualifying, Nations Championship 3rd place
2022/23  	Ivory Coast 	AFCON winners
2024		Wales		Qualified for Euro’s
2028/29		France		Won Nations league group

Challenge Progress

Club
4/10 top domestic leagues (2023 South Africa – Orlando Pirates, 2023 China – Guangzhou Evergrande, 2025 USA – LAFC, 2028 Germany – Borussia Dortmund)
4/10 domestic cups (2021 Telkom Cup – Tshakuma, 2024 Chinese Cup – Guangzhou Evergrande, 2026 US Open Cup – LAFC, 2028 Germany – Borussia Dortmund)
3/5 club continental championships (2023 African Champions League – Orlando Pirates, 2024 Asian Champions League – Guangzhou Evergrande, 2026 North American Champions League - LAFC)
0/1 club world championship

International
1/5 continental tournaments (2023 AFCON – Ivory Coast)
0/2 world tournaments ()

Its 2 years since I tried and failed to do this challenge but with no real save on the go I've decided to give it a shot.

ocpLRmy.png

I've added a couple of Asian leagues and South Africa alongside Scotland and England as I've noticed not many people start there. Now its time for a job hunt.

UAk0r0v.png

2018/19 Season - Woking - National League South

image.png.3d45f1ed6fb0aadf66e99afc89cf8455.png

Half a season in charge, we had our ups and down but with 3 games left we sat in the playoffs, unfortunately we lost our bottle drawing the next 2 meaning we missed out on the playoffs by 2 points and 1 place.

sBl6Eqj.png

That's it for this season, we were out of all the cups before I arrived. Hopefully with a full preseason in charge I can improve the squad, start gaining badges and hopefully improve my reputation

Hello everyone

Still fun to read all the great updates here.

I havent played FM for a year or so, and never tried FM2019. I thought I might give it a go for the first time tonight. Then this is always the challenge to try out.

Would like to start off in an exotic country this time. Anyone has a suggestion or two on where to start?

NIce to see that this thread has exploded back into life! Welcome to the new players, and welcome back to those who are returning.

After my most recent update I had just joined Bayern having just won the Euros with France, and just lost out in the Champions League semi final to Liverpool as Sporting. Unfortunately, I knew the inevitable was coming and my Sporting team got absolutely looted (although I did buy two of their midfielders for Bayern as well...) and they ended up selling near £700 million worth of talent that summer :O 

My first league season with Bayern was frustrating - the team kept drawing daft matches 0-0 in which we'd absolutely dominate, and in Europe we just scraped through the group stage. Although we stumbled into a 3rd place finish in the league that year, I believe I only kept my job due to a quite remarkable Champions League victory! In each knock out stage, I seemed to have the first leg at home, and would absolutely destroy my opponent at home (including a 6-0 win over Man City) before getting battered away from home and sneaking through. Somehow, this continued all the way to the final where I faced off against a Monaco team led by Pep himself. We snuck a hard fought victory, which along with the German Cup provided some recompense for a pretty dismal league campaign; that summer I also won the Confederations Cup as France. 

For the second season, the aim was clear - the league was everything and... we stumbled into victory thanks to a Dortmund draw in the penultimate game. We crashed out of the German Cup in the Semi Final and got decimated by Barcelona in the Champions League quarter final. Tbh, I couldn't wait to leave!

With my resignation tendered to Bayern, I went into the World Cup with a France team containing my former Sporting striker (now of Liverpool), Mirko Esposito. This kid is absolute magic, and is rated 5 stars by the coaches - Mbappe is only rated 4 1/2! We just about triumphed, with the main point of note being a 119th minute World Cup Final win over Germany; I did NOT want penalties against the Germans!

With all the dust settled, I departed from France and awaited new positions to arise. I turned down Monaco and Arsenal to take over Real Madrid - and my first point of call was buying my old wonder-kid, a 22 year old Mirko Esposito...

I've also taken over the Ivory Coast, with an eye firmly on next summers AFCON!

Final Thoughts:

> I HATE the new World Cup set up with a passion. It's going to brutal when that takes place in real life :(

> As I write this, a 31 year old Mbappe has 110 goals in 161 appearances for France. 8 of these were against Andorra though, so....

> It's the year 2030, and Real Madrid haven't won the Champions League since 2018....

> I think I will go to S.Africa after this. I prefer having clubs as a longer term project and building them up, but at the same time I love trying to achieve this challenge.

> My favourite two clubs so far have been Jeju in Korea and Sporting Lisbon - the team I built there was quite phenomenal, and I regret not making a save of that team for online play!

Thanks all!!!

Challenge Progress

Club

4/10 top domestic leagues - Singapore S-League 19/20 (Home Utd), K-League 2023,2024,2025 (Jeju), Portugal Liga NOS 26/27, 27/28 (Sporting Lisbon), Bundesliga 2029/30 (Bayern Munich)

4/10 domestic cups - RHB Singapore Cup 18/19 (Home Utd), KFA Cup 2025 (Jeju), Taca de Portugal Placard 27/28 (Sporting), DFB-Pokal 28/29 (Bayern Munich)

2/5 club continental championships - AFC Champions League 2025 (Jeju), European Champions League 2028/29 (Bayern Munich)

1/1 club world championship – 2029/2030 (Bayern Munich)

International

1/5 continental tournaments – Euro 2028 (France)

1/2 world tournaments – Confederations Cup 2029 (France)

Other titles

New Paper League Cup 18/19, 19/20 (Home United)

AFC Cup 19/20 (Home United)

Hyundai A-League (Regular Season) 2020/21 (Melbourne Victory)

U23 Asian Games w/ South Korea 2022

U23 Pacific Games w/ New Zealand 2023

Taca de Liga Portugal 2027/28 (Sporting)

Supertaca Candido de Oliveira 27/28 (Sporting)

DFL Supercup 28/29 (Bayern Munich)

Supercopa de Espana 30/31 (Real Madrid)

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 19.31.54.png

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 19.46.15.png

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 19.46.22.png

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 19.46.41.png

3 hours ago, TheEarl said:

Hello everyone

Still fun to read all the great updates here.

I havent played FM for a year or so, and never tried FM2019. I thought I might give it a go for the first time tonight. Then this is always the challenge to try out.

Would like to start off in an exotic country this time. Anyone has a suggestion or two on where to start?

I'd recommend Korea. I found some of the smaller countries had really limiting caps on foreigners which just became more hassle than they were worth, but with Korea you do get some good quality coming through the youth teams as well. I'd never played there before and had three really fun seasons!

Atletico Mineiro sacked me after a horrible start. I went into a non-winning streak after loosing my best 5-6 players to europe. At least I won State.

I won't miss the 500 games a season and I guess the Copa Libertadores will go through Argentina

1 minute ago, Muggert said:

Atletico Mineiro sacked me after a horrible start. I went into a non-winning streak after loosing my best 5-6 players to europe. At least I won State.

I won't miss the 500 games a season and I guess the Copa Libertadores will go through Argentina

Tough luck. I always loved to manage in Brazil, and had a lot of fun there. But I guess its a bit about how you like the game.

Unfortunately I can't start in Brazil, as I guess I won't find a club there with the starting criteria.

17 minutes ago, TheEarl said:

Tough luck. I always loved to manage in Brazil, and had a lot of fun there. But I guess its a bit about how you like the game.

Unfortunately I can't start in Brazil, as I guess I won't find a club there with the starting criteria.

I'm pretty sure if I did not just add the european leagues in the summer I could have kept some of my players but most of them had release clauses that was acitvated by PL teams ;-)

As a starting spot I had a great save a couple of seasons ago starting as Jomo Cosmos from South Africa.

I'd say South Africa or the second tier in China/South Korea would be a good starting spot. Not that I didn't like Selangor, but I'm sure I could have a faster way to the top in either of those leagues

11 minutes ago, Muggert said:

As a starting spot I had a great save a couple of seasons ago starting as Jomo Cosmos from South Africa.

I'd say South Africa or the second tier in China/South Korea would be a good starting spot. Not that I didn't like Selangor, but I'm sure I could have a faster way to the top in either of those leagues

South Africa is very useful through the years of this challenge. China have I also tried before, as well with UK.

I will see if I might start in South Korea, but think it will be even more exotic.

14 hours ago, Steve Cobble said:

I'd recommend Korea. I found some of the smaller countries had really limiting caps on foreigners which just became more hassle than they were worth, but with Korea you do get some good quality coming through the youth teams as well. I'd never played there before and had three really fun seasons!

I didn't start in Korea but had a spell there and enjoyed it.  One of the better Asian leagues IMO - although you do have the military service issues (I lost one of my best players to that...)

I also really liked managing in Chile.  For South America a relatively straightforward structure and not too many games.

324d90df46f21b0dea4.png

GREMIO - 2027

Manager Profile - Crowy - 2027

Key Players - Helder ~ Diego Lainez ~ Wildson ~ Romario ~ Pablo Victor

Squad Overview - Overview ~ Match Stats

1024233536fc0459af9289.png

Competitions Overview

Here is just a quick overview of my 2027 second half of season with Gremio, the form was very up and down whilst I struggled to settle on a formation we had a couple of good win against teams such as Corinthians but losing games to Bahia made qualifying for the Copa Libertadores a little more difficult. I did still have a chance for qualifying on the final day as results went out way but I lost 4-2 to Internacional. I think this may be a long term job to win the Copa Libertadores as I think this team needs a lot of work. I only have one year left on my contract so I will see how we progress this season once I do transfers and settle on a formation.

CAREER PROGRESS

2010938382_CareerProgress.thumb.png.918d34f4f15c4bea1c714f8d727b5cf2.png

Leon

A short season review!

We battled with inconsistencies and troubles with finding the right tactic. I managed to not get fired, and I'll be strengthning the squad.

We end up 12th

Spoiler
Season Team League Finish Cup 1 Cup 2 Contin SuperCup Notes
2018 Selangor Malaysian Super League 5th   Win     Took over with 2 games to go in 6th place
2019 Selangor Malaysian Super League Win Win QF   Win  
2020 Selangor Malaysian Super League Win 2nd QF Playoff Win  
2021 Selangor Malaysian Super League Win RU SF GS Win Resigned after the season
2022 FC Seoul South Korean K League 2 Win Win       Took over to start the season, Promotion
2023 FC Seoul South Korean K League 1 2nd QF   2nd Rnd   Resigned after the season
2024 Atletico Mineiro Brasileirao Serie A   Win   2nd Rnd   State Win, Sacked after 12 games in 12th
2024/25 Leon Liga BBVA Bancomer 12th         Took over in 3rd after 6 games

Ghana

We managed to qualify for the ACON .. Let's get that first international trophy!

Edited by Muggert

Small update:

It's now February 2020, and I have been out of a job for almost an entire year. I keep getting interviews for jobs, getting the "Macon set for XXX FC after interview..." articles, but have received no offers. The most predominant thing in my inbox is "Interview unsuccessful". I got an offer from the Japanese-Singaporean team in Singapore, which happened to be my favorite league in my original save, but I decided to turn it down because I felt as though my reputation was more befitting of a team in a higher league. Now I wish I had accepted the offer. 

2000px-VfB_Stuttgart_1893_Logo_svg.thumb.png.c9284b15038b4d201b182081d7158141.png

Crispypaul
VfB Stuttgart
1. Bundesliga
2027/28

League - Table | Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2 - I went into this season hoping for some gradual improvement.  However after a while it looked like we would be challenging for the title, which we managed to secure the title with a game left.  We didn't concede a goal for the last 10 games!

Cup - Fixtures - comfortable win over lower league opposition but then knocked out in a disappointing home defeat to RB Leipzig

Finances - no problems here now

Transfers - some frustrations particularly after the £33m from the Mensah sale wasn't reinvested.  Andujar and Carrizo were good signings.

Squad - much happier with this now.  Need to tweak the full backs.

Key players - 

Sebastian Olivera - turning into a very good keeper.  

Mario Billinger - part of the reason we won the league was our very tight defence, and Billinger was part of that.  Sadly his contract runs out in a year and he won't sign a new one so may have to sell

Dirk Adlon - the other centre back did even better including winning his first full Germany caps

Nicolas Carrizo - needed to improve central midfield and the £5m signing from Estudiantes did that.

Hector Andujar - losing Mensah meant we needed another left winger and the £8m Argentine did that

Andreas Frischneckt - wonderkid striker from our youth team

Finances - the incredible prize money from winning the league boosted these massively, and we managed to clear our debts.

Future - I was hoping winning the league title would lead to job offers elsewhere but I was turned down flat by both Liverpool and Man City.  So going to stay for now.  Euro 2028 has finished so I'm seeing what international jobs are around.

On an aside, Brexit was finally cancelled!

Domestic
Season	 Team			Division		Position			Notes						
2019     Home United             S-League	          1st          		   Cup, League Cup, AFC Cup winners, National B licence
2020	Deportes Santa Cruz	Chilean Primera B 	  1st				Promoted
2021	Deportes Santa Cruz	Chilean Primera  	  3rd				Cup Winners, Qualified for Copa Libertadores, Continental B
2022	Deportes Santa Cruz     Chilean Primera             1st				Cup Winners, Copa Libertadores Knockout, Continental A
2022/23  Pumas		          Mexican Premier Division     1st		Apertura and Clasura Winners, CONCACFA CL winners, Continental Pro
2023/24  Maritzburg Utd      South African Premier Division  1st    		MTN8, Telkom, Nedbank Cup Winners
2024/25  Maritzburg Utd      South African Premier Division  1st            MTN8, Nedbank Cup, African CL Winners
2025     Ulsan               K-League 1                      3rd            Joined 20th July 2025, KFA Cup Winners
2026     Ulsan               K-League 1                      1st            ACL, KFA Cup Winners
2026/27  VfB Stuttgart       1. Bundesliga                   15th
2027/28   VfB Stuttgart       1. Bundesliga                   1st         

International
Year	   Team					Achievements
2023/24	   Cameroon				African Nations Championship winners, AFCON qualifying group stage
2024/25    Cameroon             		AFCON Runners Up, Resigned 
2026/27    Iran                               Asian Cup Winners

Challenge Progress

Club
 6/10 top domestic leagues (Singapore, Home United, 2019; Chile, Deportes Santa Cruz, 2022; Mexico, Pumas, 2022/23; South Africa, Maritzburg Utd, 2023/24; South Korea, Ulsan, 2026; Germany, VfB Stuttgart, 2027/28)
 4/10 domestic cups (Singapore, Home United, 2019; Chile, Deportes Santa Cruz, 2021; South Africa, Maritzburg Utd, 2023/24; South Korea, Ulsan, 2025)
 3/5 club continental championships (CONCACAF, Pumas, 2022/23; CAF, Maritzburg Utd, 2024/25; AFC, Ulsan, 2026)

International
 1/5 continental tournaments (Asia, Iran, 2027)
 0/2 world tournaments 

Edited by Crispypaul

Another small update. I resigned for Leon after a horrible half a season. My new destination is in Africa. Kaizer Chiefs has offered me a contract. I need to start qualifying and winning trophies and especially continental.

3rd place 5 points behind Ajax CT with 3 games to go.

Ghana has qualified to the ACON. Let's get it rolling after a couple of misses.

Edited by Muggert

I have uploading problems.... The last 3 games with Kaizer Chiefs...

A - Polokwame City,  4-0

A - Ajax CT, 2-0

H - Real Kings, 6-0

We win the league by 2 points!

Next up the ACON with Ghana!

2019/20 Season - Woking

download.png.7e77562c2bae9b0c4ddb1671e64536f8.png

My first full season in charge, we were expected to get into the playoffs but we went step further than that.

National League South - An amazing season, it went all the way to the 3rd from last game where we clinched the league title.

VxQi2GT.png

FA Cup - We reached the 3rd Round, a great run before we were hammered 7-0 by Stoke

J7XhqGG.png

FA Trophy - We got all the way to the semi final before a 5-3 aggregate defeat to Leyton Orient

jt8pXa4.png

Key Players - Stacy Agnew - Greg Luer - Josh Casey

In Other News - Eventually the board agreed for me to learn my National C Licence which was completed right at the end of the season, I immediately asked to do my National B which was also agreed. My rep is now 1*.

What Next? - Hopefully we can push for promotion again next season. The quicker we rise up the leagues the quicker my rep increases. I will be keeping my eyes open for a bigger and better job to keep my rep improving and gaining my badges.

Domestic
Season	 Team			Division		Position			Notes						
2019/20  Woking                 National Lge South      1st          		        National C Licence, FA Cup 3rd Round, FA Trophy

0/10 top domestic leagues ()

0/10 domestic cups ()

0/5 club continental championships ()

International

0/5 continental tournaments ()

0/2 world tournaments ()

Kaizer Chiefs ABSA Premiership - 2025/2026 Review

Champions League: Winners!

My first major trophy is history! A good season with our only loss being to Enyimba in the Group stage.

League: 4th - Super 8: Win! - Knockout Cup: QFinal - Nedbank Cup: 1st Rnd - 

One season long battle against Mammelodi Sundowns. We got the best of them in the Super 8 and ChL, while they won the Knockout cup, In total we played Sundowns 6 times this season.

We did not have a good enough squad to compete in the league and we were lucky to hold on to 4th.

SQUAD

Key players: DR Badboy - AMR Sapula - AMC Motupa

A good season with lots of players getting gametime. We have some of the brightest talents in the country and our squad should be deep enough to loose a player or two. Our Attackers never really excelled unfortunately. Motupa was our player of the season. 6 goals in the knockout rounds of the ChL from his AMC position.

New season

I could stay and go all in for one of the cups and a chance at the CWC, but I think I'm gonna resign and hunt the other trophies in another continent. I'll get the CWC later...  Africa... You've been good to me!

Ghana

We managed to qualify for the ACON and had a good run but Ivory Coast beat us in the final.

We also managed to get runners up in the CHAN

We qualified to the World Cup and there will be an update on this shortly.

Career Progress

Spoiler

nZbvdjT.jpg

S5w42V3.jpg

Challenge progress

Spoiler

cS8buOj.jpg

Ghana - 2026 World Cup Review

The last two international competitions we've been in we have been runners up in the ACON and CHAN. Our FA expects us to reach the third round.

Group Stage

With the new group format the 2026 world cup pinned us against South Korea and Israel in the group. In normal terms I would rate us as favourites. We started off against Israel and dominated in a 4-0 win! .. The next game was a battle for 1st place against South Korean sporting my old Seoul-prodigy Hyun-Woo in attack. In a tight affair ST Tetteh scored in the 90th minute to give us a 2-1 Win!

Knockout Rounds

Up against Mali in the second round we fancied our chances. The game was a lot tougher than expected but in the end we took a penalty win! Denmark awaited in the 3rd round.

We had fulfilled our FA's expectations and could play freely. It showed. In what we thought would be an uphill battle we crushed Denmark 4-1!

What giant awaited in the Quarters? Italy, France, England? Nope... Ukraine... We would never have a better chance at a World Cup semifinal. Ukraine were playing well and dominated much of the game. GK Nurudeen had a great game. In extra time AMR Atanga, who started on the bench, decided the game with his 2-1 goal!

In the semifinal Italy awaited. This would take a great effort and a bit of luck. And we got it. Yet another gret performance by GK Nurudeen and substitute ST Tetteh with a great goal in overtime to give us a 1-0 ET Win!

So.... Ghana was in a World Cup final... Not what the bookies expected before the tournament. England was the opponent. A force of brilliant players most of them in their prime. We were unable to contain Delle Alli all game and he assisted Harry Kane sole goal. The fairytale has ended.

Review:

After we beat Italy I honestly believed we had a chance to win the World Cup. But alas... Another final lost for Ghana and Bandini. The boys were magnificent and I must say it's one of the achievements I'm most proud of in the recent FM's. We have moved into the 7th position on the World Ranking. A great achievement.

Back on the horse. Next year there's a ACON and we need that title. My reputation around the world should take a leap afetr this performance.

Edited by Muggert

2020/21 Update - Woking

So it turns out applying for every job in Leagues above is a bad thing to do and after applying for, and getting rejected due to the amount of compensation required the board called me in for a meeting.

K7DKNu2.png

I attended and safe to say it didn't go well, I basically told them I was the best man for the job, then......

f4O6GYY.png

Amazing! We sat 5th in the League, a bit silly on my part but before my demise I was being linked with mid-low League One teams. Now it's a waiting game for a decent proposition

UPDATE: It hasn't taken long to get a new job....

220px-Accstanley.png

A nice jump up, Accrington sit 21st in League One at the half-way point of the season.

Edited by stevelcfc2011

I reject Sevilla because I'm the leading candidate for both Real Madrid and Manchester City... Might have overestimated my standing in the game a bit. It's been a year and I'm still without a job, I'll wait for the best opening. I hoped to get the Cruz Azul job, but apparently my visit in Mexico is still in peoples memories.

Brazil is yet to play an important game.

2019/20 Season - Accrington

220px-Accstanley.png

It's been a tough 2nd half of the season, player revolts due to sales beyond my control but the sales have stabilised the finances and we now have a good platform to build on. But did we survive?

League One - It was a shocker of a start mainly down to the dreadful morale but 4 wins in a row towards the end of the season secured us safety, we had some great performances but this is a lot of hard work ahead.

rNWRMpg.png

FA Cup - We had already qualified for the 3rd Rd before I arrived where we played Reading away and were hammered 6-0

Star Players - Billy Kee, Greg Craggs

Badges/Rep Update - National B and A gained, Rep now upto 1.5*

What Next? - Safety secured and now we have a big rebuild for next season, obviously I need to keep progressing so the main aim is to get more badges and attempt a push for the playoffs, it's a big ask but I have to keep doing well to keep improving my reputation, you never know an even bigger job may come around!

hMoXXmq.png

0/10 domestic cups ()

International

0/2 world tournaments ()

Got the job at Cruz Azul later that season.

We finished 14th in the Clausura and got knocked out in the 2nd Rnd of the ChL. Horrible.

We found a playing style that fitted towards the finish of the campaign. If I manage to keep the job we will return strong!

Brazil - Copa America Review - 2028

Group stage

My luck from Cruz Azul seem to be haunting us. We have dominated teams in all three games, in terms of possession and good chances. Yet we have no win to show for it. Luckily we are going throgh to the Quarterfinal after a better goal difference than Bolivia in group A. Standings shows we got lucky!

Knockout stages

We meet Peru in the quarterfinal and get a much needed win 3-2! .. We concede quite a few good chances but this time we're finishing our own chances as well.

In a goalless and somewhat boring semifinal against Colombia we prevail on penalties.

So... We I'm close to bringing home my first big international trophy. Mexico B in the final. Piece of cake right?!

Three minute in we get caught on a well struck counter and find ourselves 1-0 behind. We take control of the game and normal backup Raphinha equalises before the half. In the second half we dominate possesion and chances without any of them really threatening. We do however get a penalty that MC Antunes Ribeiro converts.

Brazil is COPA AMERICA CHAMPIONS!

Taken me a couple weeks but finally finished my first season at Lyon

lyon.png.42aeb933fc46607c694a6486e98a9d35.png

Season 2029/30 - Lyon

My first season at Lyon and upon looking at the squad we didn't need much so only transfers were a couple players I knew from my France team while selling near £50m of talent. Lyon being Lyon they have some great young talent so I was more than happy to give them game time instead of spending. We started brilliantly winning 17 of our first 19 games (drawing the other two) which kept us neck and neck with PSG, a 2-0 win over tham at the turn of the year took us ahead and we were near perfect for 4 months and opened a 7 point lead with 3 games to play. We fell apart here losing our next game before drawing the one after meaning our lead was 2 points going into the final day. PSG had a better GD so if they won (they did) we would need to beat local rivals Saint-Etienne. 0-0 at HT had me worried, a couple early injuries meant I went for broke and we won 6-0 to win the league for the first time since 2008!!

In the Domestic cups we had a fairly easy run to the final of the League Cup where we played PSG 3 goals in 11 first half minutes gave us a comfortable lead before a 4th late on secured us the cup. The French cup was a tough run where again we would play PSG in the final. This game was a lot tighter and ended 0-0. In extra time we grabbed late lead but PSG scored right away to take it to pens. 1 miss from us but 2 from them meant we won the cup and completed a domestic treble.

In the champions league we were fantastic winning our group easily. In the knockout rounds we had a scare away to Juventus where we only made it threw on away goals after nearly throwing away our first leg advantage. In the Semis me smashed United 3-0 at before an even worse game than we had away at Juve saw us throw away the tie losing 4-0 on the night.

I don't really want to leave Lyon, there's 4 or 5 really good young players in the U19s who could go on to be really special. However there are some jobs close to coming up and there is also a world cup (I'll do a report on that once I've played it) which should start some kind of merry go round with managers this summer. 

Career Progress

Season	 Team			Country		League		Position	Notes
2018/19 Tshakhuma		South Africa	1st Division	3rd 		Lost in playoffs
2019/20 Tshakhuma		South Africa	1st Division	1st 		Promoted as champions
2020/21 Tshakhuma		South Africa	Premier League	4th 		Cup runners up
2021/22 Tshakhuma		South Africa 	Premier League  4th 		Cup winners, left on 11/3/22
2021/22 Orlando Pirates 	South Africa	Premier League  2nd 		took over in 5th on 11/3/22
2022/23 Orlando Pirates		South Africa	Premier League 	1st 		League & Champions League winners
2023	Guangzhou Evergrande	China		CSL		1st 		Took over with 13 games to go. Won league
2024	Guangzhou Evergrande	China		CSL		1st 		Won league, cup and champions league
2025	LAFC			USA		MLS		1st 		Won supporters shield and MLS Cup
2026	LAFC			USA		MLS		8th 		won champions league and cup
2026/27 Borussia Dortmund	GER		Bundesliga	5th 		Took over in 5th with 8 games to go
2027/28  Borussia Dortmund	GER		Bundesliga	2nd 
2028/29  Borussia Dortmund	GER		Bundesliga	1st 		League and cup double	
2029/30  Lyon			FRA		Ligue One	1st 		League Cup and French Cup winners

International

2021/22		Ivory Coast	World Cup qualifying, Nations Championship 3rd place
2022/23  	Ivory Coast 	AFCON winners
2024		Wales		Qualified for Euro’s
2028/29		France		Won Nations league group

Challenge Progress

Club
5/10 top domestic leagues (2023 South Africa – Orlando Pirates, 2023 China – Guangzhou Evergrande, 2025 USA – LAFC, 2028 Germany – Borussia Dortmund, 2030 France - Lyon)
5/10 domestic cups (2021 Telkom Cup – Tshakuma, 2024 Chinese Cup – Guangzhou Evergrande, 2026 US Open Cup – LAFC, 2028 Germany – Borussia Dortmund, 2030 French Cup - Lyon)
3/5 club continental championships (2023 African Champions League – Orlando Pirates, 2024 Asian Champions League – Guangzhou Evergrande, 2026 North American Champions League - LAFC)

International
1/5 continental tournaments (2023 AFCON – Ivory Coast)
0/2 world tournaments ()

2020/21 Season - Accrington

220px-Accstanley.png

Another season down and what a season it's been! 

League One - Predicted to end dead last but I had a feeling for a good campaign after our good run at the end of the previous season. I never expected to do as well as we did. We started slowly but between October and December we won 10 games in a row putting us 2nd at Christmas. 

The came the mini-collapse, in the last 12 games we won only 5, this slid us down the table but results went our way and we managed to scrape 4th place.

fm_2019-05-29_08-39-22.thumb.png.d3dfd2238c6cbaf8a0b73eae829ad673.png

A fantastic season and we went into the playoffs.

In the Semi Finals we faced MK Dons and 2 amazing performances put us through to the final 6-3 on aggregate.

2019-05-29_08-45-47.png.b976a77c12469df7c91f826ab988c192.png

We faced Portsmouth in the final which I knew would be tough, and it was to end here as we lost the game 2-0

2019-05-29_08-52-02.png.349bf74b33b4e3fbd629a4ec174976b1.png

Gutted is an understatement, we came so far and fell one short.

FA Cup - We managed to get to the 3rd Round where we lose to Wimbledon.

fm_2019-05-29_08-39-40.png.c0c1f724cd7aa5b7439cc5ee08b88ad5.png

League Cup - What a run, we beat Norwich and Sunderland before losing to Spurs in the 3rd Round

fm_2019-05-29_08-39-50.png.324309bed968d6fab3c7c0897e86cb62.png

Star Men - Seamus Conneely, Niall Watson, Sean McConville

Badges/Rep - Continental C gained and the board have just agreed to me doing my Continental B badge. Reputation is now up to 2.5* (Okay).

What next? - An amazing season, was it one-off? Maybe! We now rebuild for next season, but I am being linked with lots of higher jobs, clearly I have to keep moving on upwards to keep my reputation moving upwards.

What a season!

In other news - I have an International job! Iran have given me the role, I only had 4 games in charge which were all playoffs for the 2022 World Cup, we beat Thailand in the Asian Playoffs before beating Paraguay in the final playoffs meaning we qualified for the World Cup 

FUVvpGC.png

0/10 domestic cups ()

International

0/2 world tournaments ()

Edited by stevelcfc2011

A little Update:

It hasn't taken long before I have been headhunted, and a nice jump up in a division means I am moving on from Accrington, to......

Image result for middlesbrough fc

I'm off to the North-East!

Middlesbrough have just ended 15th in the Championship but imo have a squad capable for the playoffs and with a £4.3m transfer budget I have high hopes for this season.

france-nylon.thumb.jpg.d7ae4827623b39086a07e01c2e9690f7.jpg

World Cup 2030

Group Stage

France 3-0 Chile (Guebbels, Cuisance, Bertrand) - a comfortable win but came with the cost of losing Guebbles (our first choice striker) for the rest of the tournament. 

France 4-2 New Zealand (Banza, Bertrand, Mbappe x2) - this was a lot closer than it looked as I rotated the side expecting a comfortable win, we fell behind but grabbed the equaliser just before the break. We fell behind again on 60 minutes, we equalised again but was still 2-2 at 90 mins before 2 very late Mbappe goals won us the game. This was uncomfotable

2nd Round

France 4-0 Curacao (Mbappe x3, Bertrand) - a very comfortable win thanks to a hat trick from the main man Mbappe. 

3rd Round

France 2-0 Uruguay (Dembele, Mbappe) - a good win over a solid side thanks to a goal in each half from the old boys (feels odd saying that about these two) 

Qtr Final

France 1-0 Germany (Mbappe) - that man again, stepping up to grab a goal from the penalty spot in the first half. 

Semi Final

France 1-2 Spain (Cuisance) - injuries, suspension and just tiredness (I really need to remember to rest people after matches in tournaments as my sides always tire towards the end when games come thick and fast) caught up with us in this game. We never really got going and Spain fully deserved their win. The scoreline makes it look closer than it was.

3rd place playoff

France 2-1 England (Mbappe, Bertrand) - the game no one wants to be in. Well went behind right on HT, grabbed a late equaliser from Mbappe taking it to extra time, just what everyone wanted, a goal early in ET from Bertrand (our back up forward that ended with 4 goals) won us the bronze medal

Aftermath

I resgined from France to explore other options with South Korea (Asian cup is only 6 months away so would be good to win that) and Argentina jobs the ones I've gone looking for.

Cruz Azul - 2028 Review

The Clausura wasn't a great success. After finishing 14th and getting knocked out in the Quarterfinal in the ChL, I somehow managed to hold onto the job.

We had a great team going into the Aoertura. We finished 2nd but lost in the Liga Apertura QFinal. So... At least we won the cup right? Nope... Another final loss for Bandini.

So I got binned... And left a great team with tons of potential... I have no idea how I manage to bottle this... Well onto new pastures! It's not like Mexico has been good to me on my two trips.

Spoiler

qEUV7sB.jpg

Brazil update

We're sitting at the top of the CONMEBOL qualification after 12 games. The confederations cup is due next month. Let's get that one as well!

Spoiler

L0Qb0X3.jpg

Challenge progress

Spoiler

2accjqh.jpg

Related imageImage result for mjallby aifImage result for belgium soccer crest

SZEOL SC / Mjallby AIF / Belgium U23 - 2020/21 Report

Wait a minute... 2020/21?

Did I just skip an entire season? 

The answer: yes. I did in fact skip an entire season, but not by my own volition. After leaving Aberstwyth Town, with a reputation that I thought would be sufficient to get me a decent job, I got zero job offers. Much like my first job hunt, where I was left searching for months, this hunt was no different. Despite being offered numerous job interviews, I failed to get a single offer, that was until I interviewed SZEOL SC. Located in the city of Szged, Hungary, SZEOL have quite a strange history from my research. They were formed in the early 1900's, but folded in the late 20th century, but were reformed shortly thereafter.

To be completely honest, I didn't look the job over very long before accepting it: I was desperate for a job, any job would do. I managed to find success with the relegation touted side. SZEOL were predicted to finish near the bottom of the league, but because the established scouts in the team were all from Romania, I was able to sign some capable Romanian players both permanently and on loan, and they helped me lead the team to a strong second place finish. I might have considered sticking with the team, but I got a job offer from one of the top teams in Hungary, and that's when I knew that I had vastly outgrown the job. I resigned and looked to foreign lands. At first I was announced as the leading candidate for a top 3 Austria side, but after getting shafted by both them and Molde, I decided to take the job at Mjallby AIF, a recently promoted side in Sweden's top flight.

Looking forward to evenings of surstromming and ice fishing as I explore the Swedish league system. Until next time.

CLUB CAREER
                                                        -----------

Season       Team             Country            League           Position           FA Cup          League Cup         Champs League       Others & Notes       
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018     Aberystwyth Town     Wales            Premier League     2nd                Winner!          1st Round            -             National CBA Badge
20/21    SZEOL SC             Hungary          NB II              2nd                Runer-up         N/A                  -             Cont. CBA. Promot
2021     Mjallby Aif          Sweden           Allsvenskan         ?                    ?              ?                   -                     ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                   --------------------

Season       Country         Tournament         Finished         Others & Notes             
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019         NA
2020         Belgium U23     Olympic Games      3rd Place
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHALLENGE PROGRESS
                                                    ------------------

Club

0/10  Top Domestic Leagues
 1/10  Top Domestic Cups (Wales)
 0/5   Continentals Cups 
 0/1   Club World Cup

International

0/5   Continental Tournaments 
 0/2   World Tournaments 

Screenshots below.

Spoiler

sweden1.PNG

resign.PNG

cuploss.PNG

promo1.PNG

2023 Asian Nations Cup - Iran

Image result for iran

Group Stage - 2 wins, 1 draw, no goals conceded, a great start!

fm_2019-06-05_10-35-31.thumb.png.01ecf2eee454bf18805df0e605570a96.png

2nd Round - A cracker of a game, goals galore but we made it through.

2019-06-05_10-34-13.thumb.png.5a9f9673a9a550d526bea9c4b7370af9.png

Quarters - A tough match, once again loads of goals, into the semis!

2019-06-05_10-34-24.thumb.png.b47fcfba2a128dbc009aa6304ac82615.png

Semis - An absolute battering, we've made it to the final!

2019-06-05_10-34-34.thumb.png.61e2b75e764a5f8f445b99811bce9dfc.png

Final - A gutting way to lose it, we took the lead then fell apart. Runners-up, so so close!

2019-06-05_10-34-44.thumb.png.204548156526ca13c0b503a31aeaab09.png

0/10 domestic cups ()

International

0/2 world tournaments ()

This was my main game last year and I got quite far into it. I have hardly played this years game as I just can't find the motivation, so I am going to give it another go and see what happens. Got a bit of free time over the time couple weeks

872790_20190604183902_1.png

Edited by Danny_H22

2019 Season Review

Cobresal.png.2bd1d24ab6b3df1424e5743141f575a4.png

I decided to restart this challenge after having a lot of success trying it over the past two years and struggling to get into a game this year. I decided to pick a mixture of some random nations I have never managed in as well as some of the leagues I have had early success in in the past. After six months of unemployment and several unsuccessful interviews, I was offered my first role that excited me. Off to South America I went

Campeonato Nacional Scotiabank: Fresh off a 9th placed finish and with the media expecting us to finish 14th (out of 16), I took over a Cobresal squad that needed a lot of rebuilding. 9 carefully signed players later and we embarked on what should have been a really difficult season. 4 wins and 3 draws in my first 7 league games gave us an early season lift before a shot in the arm  at the hands of Universidad Catolica who gave us our first loss.

What followed was an amazing and unpredictable 19 game unbeaten run that saw us win the title with 3 games, blowing all pre-season predictions out of the water. 19 wins and 7 draws in those 27 games was enough to lead 2nd place by a massive 14 points with three games to spare. It really was an amazing season that was actually pretty close until my two nearest competitors decided to throw away a lot of points in the final third of the season.

We actually lost some really important players half way through the season and many more wanted to leave for a chance at playing continental football (even though we were top). Luckily my club pulled themselves together and stepped up in their absence

Copa Chile MTS: Luckily for us, our impressive league formed carried over into the cup and it was routine all the way to the final, where we faced off against lower league Santiago Wanderers. It was much the same in the final as we scored three first leg goals on our way to a 3-1 aggregate win and a domestic double.

Top Goalscorer: With 19 goals each, winger Israel Poblete and on loan playmaker Oscar Hernandez share the honours. Hernandez really stood out, playing a deeper role and scoring free kicks from angles that he had no right to challenge from.

Most Assists: Oscar Hernandez takes this, too, with 11 assists to go with his 19 goals.

Highest Ave. Rating: Not much surprise that this went to Hernandez with a 7.76 rating over 39 games

Most POTM: you guessed it, Hernandez again with 14

International: An eventful year on the international front when I snapped up a chance to take over the China under 23s in February. Three wins out of three saw us qualify for the under 23s Asian Cup and I had silverware on my mind. That was until three optimistic applications for the vacant Colombia, Ecuador and Costa Rica posts paid off and three job offers arrived on my doorstep. I decided 13th ranked Colombia was the best match for me and in July I headed off to take up position as head coach.

As things stand, we are four games into our World Cup qualifying campaign and have managed to pick up 10 points against the likes of Brazil and Argentina. With a potentially successful campaign on our hands, and a Copa America to look forward to next year, it could be an eventful few years for us.

Next Season Plan: Well what can I say? What a season! We really defied expectations and ran away with the double. We have qualified for the Copa Libertadores, but realistically stand no chance at winning the tournament historically dominated by Brazilian and Argentinean teams. I won’t gain much by sticking around and maybe retaining the league, so I guess I will try and venture elsewhere and head back to South America when a big role in Brazil opens up.

Season       Team             Position         Continental         Notes and Achievements     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019         Cobresal         1st              n/a                 Won Copa Chile MTS and Manager of the Year

Challenge Progress

Club
1/10 top domestic leagues - Campeonato Nacional Scotiabank (Cobresal 2019)
1/10 domestic cups - Copa Chile MTS (Cobresal 2019)
0/5 club continental championships -
0/1 club world championship -

International
0/5 continental tournaments - 
0/2 world tournaments 

International:
Season       Team                 Notes and Achievements     
----------------------------------------------------------
2019	     China Under 23s	  Qualified for Under 23s Asian Cup
2019	     Colombia			  ---

2022/23 Season - Middlesbrough - English Championship

Image result for middlesbrough fc

Championship - An amazing season, we lead from the front, promotion was wrapped up with 5 games to spare and the league title with 3 left. We absolutely dominated, record points and record goals scored!

ekZwmFI.png

FA Cup - What can I say! We got to the 5th Round where we faced local rivals Newcastle in one of the craziest games ever...final result? 10-2 to Newcastle!

fm_2019-06-07_10-12-18.png.83a194826ad3aca3f30a23c3e63e80b1.png

League Cup - Absolutely incredible, we faced numerous big boys and came out winners. Chelsea, Spurs and Man City dispatched meaning we got to the final.

fm_2019-06-07_10-12-35.png.4d34d8d1a8c4ed6a148f7394009b167f.png

Where we faced Liverpool, and somehow we won!!! What a run and this means European football next season. It also means the first trophy ticked off in the challenge.

fm_2019-06-07_10-12-45.thumb.png.6b0ac489a168d3c4f493a74d3dc7551e.png

Star Men

Hallovic

fm_2019-06-07_10-49-16.thumb.png.3f52100265969a66c3759bb29fbfe2b3.png

Wing

fm_2019-06-07_10-49-39.thumb.png.c0d58c28750a209398f271604b42ffe4.png

Ainsley

fm_2019-06-07_10-49-54.thumb.png.ec4cf132a6b397e3bb20725f18d88011.png

Badges/Rep - Continental B Licence gained, A ongoing/ Rep up to 3.5* (Good), an incredible rise.

What Next? - Well Premier League and European Football mean I have to stick around here for at least one more season. Hopefully I can complete my badges and keep my rep increasing.

JVx60AK.png 

1/10 domestic cups (English League Cup - Middlesbrough - 2023)

International

0/2 world tournaments ()

2019-2020 Season Review

190px-Hibernian_FC_logo_svg.png.33dbebc2ca1ca40f521e6b0e90972b23.png

After a brilliant year in Chile, I decided to pack my bags and head to colder climates in the form of Scotland! I had several offers, but liked the look of Hibs the most. They were still in with a shout of a cup and were sat in 4th spot in the league – although Celtic were 9 points and a game in hand ahead

Scottish Premiership: I started off my Scottish adventure with a 6-1 away win to St Johnstone and followed this up with five straight league wins before being put back in our place by 2nd placed Rangers. This lose, however, seemed to be the kick up the backside that my Hibs squad needed and what followed was quite frankly a miracle. A 18 league game win streak, including 2 wins against Premiership powerhouse Celtic was another to see us lift the title for the first time since 1952! We needed help from Celtic who somehow lost 4 of their final six games to hand us the title with a game to spare

William Hill Scottish Cup: four games played, twelve goals scored and zero conceded set us up for a final against the only team to beat me as Hibs manager – Rangers. An early second half goal saw us take the lead, a lead we held until the 75th minute when we were pegged back. We pushed for a winner but a late Rangers free kick saw us throw away a chance at the double.

Scottish Communities League Cup: Lost to Celtic in the Quarter Final before I joined

UEFA Europa League: Lost to Levski Sofia in the Best Placed Second Qualifying Round before I joined

Top Goalscorer: Chief striker, Florian Kamberi finished the season with 16 goals in 40 starts, but its playmaker Steve Mallan who really impressed, scoring 12 goals in 24 games after forcing his way into my team late in the season.

Most Assists: 16 year old scarlet Kevin Ross chipped in with 11 assists from centre midfield to add to his 5 goals. He had a brilliant season and had Spurs sniffing around him before signing a new contract with us

Highest Ave. Rating: as well as scoring 12 goals and six assists, Mallan also finished with a rating of 7,28

Most POTM: Mallan added seven POTM awards to his growing list of accolades that also included Premiership goal of the season, Football Writers Player of the year and Players' Player of the year 

International: It has been a bit up and down on the international front after losing back to back World Cup qualifying games, leaving us 5th after six games. On a positive note, I took charge of the under 23s during their Olympic game qualifies and thanks to some good results, will be leading them in Japan shortly. We also have a chance at some silverware in a month’s time when we head to USA for the Copa America

Next Season Plan: I am now in a similar situation as last season with my team qualified for Europe but very unlikely to get past the first couple games successfully. I could stick around and try and claim a cup to add to my cabinet, but that seems like a wasted year. I think I will see how my two upcoming international tournaments go and then see where my reputation stands before starting to look for new opportunities

Season       Team             Position         Continental         Notes and Achievements     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019         Cobresal         1st              n/a                 Won Copa Chile MTS and Manager of the Year
2019/20      Hibernian        1st              n/a                 Lost in Scottish Cup final

Challenge Progress

Club
2/10 top domestic leagues - Campeonato Nacional Scotiabank (Cobresal 2019), Scottish Premiership (Hibernian 2019/20)

International
0/5 continental tournaments - 
0/2 world tournaments 

International:
2019/20      Colombia             Qualified for Olympic Games

Edited by Danny_H22

2020 Summer Review

Federacion_Colombiana_de_Futbol_logo_svg.png.c353e0059f4e1b66c21412155eada1ee.png

After a brilliant year in charge of Hibs, I had a busy summer ahead of me with my first international tournament with Colombia – the Copa America. We had a tough group with the likes of regular finalist Argentina, Paraguay and Mexico B. Our pre tournament expectations were that we reached the semi final, a task that would require the likes of Falcao and Rodriguez to be on form.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Group Stage: We opened our tournament against the toughest team in our group, Argentina. I wanted us to get off to a winning start but knew it would be a big ask. The job at hand was made even more difficult when in the 48th minute, one our stars and creative outlets Juan Cuadrado was sent off for a reckless tackle. Despite the red card, and a further four yellows, we managed to hold off the rampaging Messi and co for a vital point.

What followed should have been the easiest game of the group stage and one that would have put us in a great position to qualify if we could collect the three points. We dominated the game, having 15 shots to their 4, but that didn’t stop us from going down 1-0 before half time. In fact, despite continuing to press all second half, it wasn’t until a Jefferson Lerma wondergoal in the 91st that we managed to draw level and collect one more point.

Our final game was against league leaders Paraguay. After out opening two performances, I was worried about our chances and so decided to change formations slightly. James Rodriguez, who so far had been pretty uninspiring playing as an advanced attacking midfielder, was moved further back and asked to act as a deep playing playmaker. This change immediately backfired and Paraguay took the early lead in the sixth minute mark. Much like the last game, we pressed and pressed and struggled to hit the back of the net, despite managing 18 shots. Our task was made even more difficult when a returning Cuadrado was once again sent off in the 70th minute. Luckily for us, the rock of a centre half Davinson Sanchez came to our rescue in the 85th to once again tie the game and rescue a point for Colombia.

We finished third in our group and needed results elsewhere to go our way for us to qualify as best third placed team. I guess luck was on our side, as my former nation of residence Chile lost 3-1 to Brazil in their final game, gifting me an undeserved pass to the next round

Quarter-final

Spoiler

Quarter-final: Surely our luck would continue as we were matched against a team who had a good amount of recent success against us in the shape of Peru.92,000 people would turn up to find out if a Colombia team playing their third formation of the tournament could finally put in a performance to be proud of. Luckily, Colombia decided to show up that day and Barrios and Sanchez would both score on the way to an easy 2-0 win. Colombia were heading to the semi-final alongside Ecuador, Uruguay and Argentina.

Semi-final

Spoiler

Semi-final: Hoping to avoid Argentina, the cards aligned for us as we were paired up with Ecuador – arguably the easiest opponent out of those available. Sticking with what worked in the last game, we made zero changes on our way to a very convincing 3-0 win. Quintero putting us one up in the sixth minute with a worldie of a goal. This was followed up ten minutes later by Juan Hernandez before Roger Martinez finally put the game to rest in the 85th. In the other game, an own goal gifted Argentina another final appearance.

Third Placed Playoff

Spoiler

Third Place Playoff: It took penalties but Uruguay managed to beat Ecuador and claim the least coveted medal.

Final 

Spoiler

Final: The big game against Argentina arrived and Colombia were hoping to win the Copa America for a second time in their history. You could argue that we didn’t deserve to reach the final, but having already managed a draw against our opponents, we knew that if we played as well as we could, then maybe we could snatch it. I made one big change before kickoff, dropping Falcao who had disappointed me all tournament.

It was an edgy affair and it took until extra time of the first half for the deadlock to be broken when Lerma once again put us ahead. We knew that we would be pushed in the second half, but scoring a second goal should help put the players minds at rest. And that’s exactly what happened when Falcao decided to punish my insubordination by scoring 10 minutes after coming on. It wasn’t over yet, though, as Icardi gave Argentina a slither of hope in the 87th minute when he put one past Ospina – making up for the penalty he missed in the 71st. However, it was too little too late for our opponents and we managed to hold off and secure the 2-1 win and a shiny new trophy.

What Next

Spoiler

What next: So, that was an eventful tournament and one were we had luck on our side. After drawing all three group games, I was certain we would go out in the next round. Luckily a change of formation worked and we managed to defy expectations and win the whole thing! Before the tournament I assumed that if were to stand a chance of winning it, we would need Falcao and Rodriguez to show up, but it was the bit part players that really won it for us. In fact, both of our star players really disappointed and I don’t think either played a full game.

Colombia are a weird team to manage as on paper they have some really good players but it was really difficult to get the most out of those guys. Chances are they will never be competitive in a World Cup, unless some unlikely prospect steps up over the next two years.

The Copa America final finishes about three weeks before the start of the Olympic Games and I am heading to Japan in the hopes of adding another trophy to my resume. It’s just a shame that I won’t be managing Colombia there…

2019/20      Hibernian        1st              n/a                 Lost in Scottish Cup final

Challenge Progress

Club
2/10 top domestic leagues - Campeonato Nacional Scotiabank (Cobresal 2019), Scottish Premiership (Hibernian 2019/20)

International
1/5 continental tournaments - Copa America (Colombia 2020)
0/2 world tournaments 

International:
2019/20      Colombia             Qualified for Olympic Games. Won Copa America

Edited by Danny_H22