The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

@blackdevil Sounds like you have a successful season ahead of you domestically. Good luck in the ACON. Usually a bit of a lottery. Close to the leader board now.

@Cheekybananafm I remember the old days (about 3 years ago) when one could start with a (really terrible) league 1 side, but times have changed. Hope you can save Grimsby. Always worthwhile doing external saves of your games (and I don't mean on the steam cloud which doesn't work). I backup to an external usb once a season, although I've just realised I hadn't backed up my dafuge save for seasons, so thanks for the cautionary tale.

@yugular You're also close to the leader board, aren't you? Where are you? Oh yes, Liverpool. Or maybe not, because you said you've won an 8th landmark now.

@YellowLittle Maybe for the SIPG job you should have changed you name. In English, the colour yellow denotes cowardice, but in Chinese yellow has the same connotation as blue (eg movies), although the humility of little in that context would probably have gone down well.

@shirajzl Pain losing the champions league final. I presume you're going to move on to another nation, in the assumption that you'll win the CL at one of the other big 5 nations.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@shirajzl Pain losing the champions league final. I presume you're going to move on to another nation, in the assumption that you'll win the CL at one of the other big 5 nations.

I'm staying for one more year. This is too good of a team to pass up at least another attempt at CL. 

I've updated my previous post with ACN results which was a successful tournament.

@vikeologist If we can carry on the form from the end of last season then we could be in a good place, however the league winners Orlando Pirates only drew 2 and lost 3 last season so I expect they'll be the ones to watch out for as they won the league by 20 points.

@shirajzl Congrats on the German domestic double.  Looks like you're on a roll to completing the challenge.

Hi everyone. 

So I started this challenge a few weeks back. You haven't heard a peep from me since. 

Quick update: So I took over the reigns at Formentera SD in Spain. It is by far the worst team/club I have ever managed in Football/Championship Manager. We did however manage to save us from relegation (via playoff) and I refused to sign a new contract with the club. Shortly after this my computer crashed and wasn't able to play. I decided to buy myself a new comp and am about to reboot this challenge.

Looking forward to reading all the updates in the christmas vacation and starting my own journey.

Happy holidays to everyone from snowy Iceland!

2017/18 Review - Grimsby Town - League Two

Image result

This is gonna be titled "the good, the bad and the downright bloody chaotic!"

We took over in 23rd place and results have been mixed to say the best.

First the good:

fm_2017-12-23_19-26-18.thumb.png.ed9b307806f6e433ddd97353c87d9feb.png

Then the bad:

fm_2017-12-23_19-26-05.thumb.png.4a752b154bf8425612b2a0d1c981783c.png

Then the downright chaotic:

fm_2017-12-23_19-25-34.thumb.png.0a01901019af80c9b9f9daef8a97ab92.png

This has been the tale of the season, but in the end, we did more than enough to fend away the chance of relegation ending 15th in the league.

fm_2017-12-23_19-43-02.thumb.png.8638707464d8368c028a94b2767d9d12.png

No cups as we were already out.

So a decent first season. Defensively we need a massive shake-up!!! Some hard work ahead. Money here is really bad as well so can't see any chance of doing any coaching badges, I'll just keep plodding along and hope my rep increases and actively look for bigger and better jobs!

Edited by Cheekybananafm

220px-FC_Bayern_M%C3%BCnchen_logo_(2017)31u4dAhUA+L._SX300_.jpg

Domestic double was a given, but our focus was squarely on the Champions League. After sailing smoothly through the groups stages, we got Milan in the second round. They were no match for us. Then we were "gifted" PSG in the quarterfinals. This time, over two games, they couldn't fluke it again. After 3-0 win at home, we lost 2-3 in Paris.
We finally got lucky with the draw afterwards, having beaten Schalke easily and booked our place for the grand final second year running. Our nemesis were Man Utd. In a fairly boring game, we missed a penalty in the 74th minute, which lead us to extra time. We score early and everything was fine until they equalized in the 118th minute. From a corner. Of course.
I was feeling desperate as penalties seem awfully skewed in AI favour in this game, but I was proven wrong and we won it!

20171216141250_1.thumb.jpg.210a99360771244d0debad3a484a2af1.jpg

We got the England job, the host of the World Cup. It saved us from playing a bunch of boring qualifiers (I ignored friendlies), so that was a huge plus.

Season     Team                  League                Position    Domestic Cup       Continental Cup          Notes 

2017       Neimenggu Zhongyou    Chinese Jia League     9th           -                     -                  took over 15 games to go, 16th place
2018       Yanbian Changbaishan  Chinese Jia League     1st          3rd rnd                -                     -
2019       Yanbian Changbaishan  Chinese Super League   1st          WINNERS                -                     -
2020       Yanbian Changbaishan  Chinese Super League   1st          3rd rnd            AFC CL WINNERS            -
2020/21    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership       4th          WINNERS                -                  took over 2 games to go + cup final
2021/22    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership       1st          winners                -                     -
2022/23    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership       1st          winners         CAF Conf.Cup winners         -
2023/24    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership        -             -                CAF CL WINNERS         resigned mid season after winning the CL
2023/24    Tigres UANL           Mexican First Div     WINNERS       WINNERS                -                  joined before Closing Stage, won it
2024/25    Tigres UANL           Mexican First Div     winners         -             CONCACAF CL WINNERS       won both Opening and Closing Stage
2025/26    Boca Juniors          Primera Division      1st           5th round       Copa Lib semifinals          -
2026/27    Boca Juniors          Primera Division      1st             -              Copa Lib WINNERS         CWC runners-up
2027/28    Boca Juniors          Primera Division      1st           WINNERS          Copa Lib winners         CWC WINNERS
2028/29    Bayern M.             Bundesliga            1st           WINNERS           CL runners-up              -
2029/30    Bayern M.             Bundesliga            1st           winners           CL WINNERS                 -

International

Season     Nation            Competition                      

2020       Cameroon          qualified for African Cup of Nations
2021       Cameroon          African Cup of Nations WINNERS
2023       Japan             AFC Asian Cup WINNERS
2028       Mexico            Gold Cup WINNERS

Challenge Progress

Club

5/10 top domestic leagues (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U., Argentina-Boca J., Germany-Bayern M.)

5/10 domestic cups (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U., Argentina-Boca J., Germany-Bayern M.)

5/5 club continental championships (Asia-Yanbian C., Africa-Orlando P., North America-Tigres U., South America-Boca J., Europe-Bayern M.)

1/1 club world championship (Boca Juniors)

International

3/5 continental tournaments (Africa-Cameroon, Asia-Japan, North America-Mexico)

0/2 world tournaments ()

Edited by shirajzl

I decided to give this challenge a go as a longterm save in FM18, as I have enjoyed playing on different continents before. Started with the top leagues in Singapore, Hong Kong and India, hoping to get some early success and bag up trainer licenses quickly. Took me approximately a half year to get my first job before I was hired by Hong Kong Rangers. Currently closing in on half a season, and will provide information on how it went when I complete it. Anyways, here is my Manager profile for this save. 

On 23.12.2017 at 04:12, vikeologist said:

@yugular You're also close to the leader board, aren't you? Where are you? Oh yes, Liverpool. Or maybe not, because you said you've won an 8th landmark now.

Yeah Im at Liverpool. Should hit the leaderboard in 2-3 seasons if all goes according to plan :)

2018/19 Review - Grimsby Town

Image result

My first full season in charge and after tonnes of player changes I finally has my squad ready for the season. And what a season it was. We were always in and around the play off spots, never dropped below 9th but never went above 5th. A good run at the end secured a play off spot with a game to spare.

fm_2017-12-26_19-58-50.thumb.png.d352050e1494840fcf853dd0f4d6c326.png

Not bad a for a team predicted to end 16th.

Into the play offs semi finals where we faced Colchester, we drew the first leg 1-1 (away) and smashed them 4-0 in the second leg.

fm_2017-12-26_20-07-49.png.31e3167f2ac9c31697e2987e0d19e5cc.png

In the final we faced Southend and unfortunately it wasn't meant to be as we lost the tie 2-1. Gutted to come so far and fall short at the final hurdle.

fm_2017-12-26_20-10-28.png.ee90805f75504a077dfb4aa24ef2679a.png

We had a decent run in the FA Cup getting to the 3rd Round where we got a money-spinning tie away to Liverpool. We lost the game 5-1 but made £900k in gate receipts!

In other news - I have gained my National C Licence and have just been given the OK to start doing my National B Licence.

Plans for next season - My contract is about to run out and currently I haven't been offered a new deal, after the season we have had I expect to be offered one. I will take it if it comes up but am actively going to look for a bigger job to improve my rep (this is currently 15%). If I don't get offered another job it isn't the end of the world. The Liverpool tie and the Play off final has bumped our bank balance up from -£400k to £1.5m.  They have given me around £30k in transfer money and around £10k in extra wage budget to spend. 

Season     Team                  League                Position    Domestic Cup       Continental Cup          Notes 
17/18      Grimsby Town          English League 2      15th        N/A                N/A                      Took over November 2017
18/19      Grimsby Town          English League 2      5th         FA Cup 3rd Rd      N/A                      Lost in Play off Final

Challenge Progress

Club

0/10 top domestic leagues ()

0/10 domestic cups ()

0/5 club continental championships ()

0/1 club world championship ()

International

0/5 continental tournaments ()

0/2 world tournaments ()

Season 29/30 has started and it looks like winning Premier League with Liverpool will be hard. After 9 rounds i sit in the 3rd place with 5-3-1 form, but managed to beat Tottenham (the #1 favourite to win PRM again) so maybe I have a chance to challenge for the title! Arsenal is going strong however (7-0-1).

PSGLOGO.png31u4dAhUA+L._SX300_.jpg

The FA wanted only quarterfinals of the World Cup, but we all know how overrated English players are on this game and its newgens are not any different. That means I aimed straight for the title. What a ride it was...

5a43a742ec62f_worldcup.thumb.png.0dc297776afeaf1fc8d4f9f12a0d1f5e.png

We got a really easy group and yet we looked so dodgy. I was worried, meddling with tactics a bit for the upcoming games...and it worked! After beating Mexico, we were admittedly really lucky against Spain, even though the scoreline suggests otherwise.
They were all over us in the first half, but our keeper somehow kept his sheet clean long enough for us to score a scrappy goal. Later on it was just a matter of countering them to death.
In semifinal and final we played what's probably the best two international games I've ever played at this level on any FM. Strong, dominant, decisive.
I'm staying with England, hoping to get both Euro and Confederations Cup. Long road ahead.

As for the club, it was a classic. I resigned from Bayern, they employed PSG manager Simeone, so the French were in dire need of a good gaffer. 
I had feared I'd have to do France with another club, which is mammoth task. This way it was, unsurprisingly, a nice walk in the park. We even won another Champions League.

20171219100850_1.thumb.jpg.c443496881bd63a01f289f3f81fe6a13.jpg

2017       Neimenggu Zhongyou    Chinese Jia League     9th           -                     -                  took over 15 games to go, 16th place
2018       Yanbian Changbaishan  Chinese Jia League     1st          3rd rnd                -                     -
2019       Yanbian Changbaishan  Chinese Super League   1st          WINNERS                -                     -
2020       Yanbian Changbaishan  Chinese Super League   1st          3rd rnd            AFC CL WINNERS            -
2020/21    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership       4th          WINNERS                -                  took over 2 games to go + cup final
2021/22    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership       1st          winners                -                     -
2022/23    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership       1st          winners         CAF Conf.Cup winners         -
2023/24    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership        -             -                CAF CL WINNERS         resigned mid season after winning the CL
2023/24    Tigres UANL           Mexican First Div     WINNERS       WINNERS                -                  joined before Closing Stage, won it
2024/25    Tigres UANL           Mexican First Div     winners         -             CONCACAF CL WINNERS       won both Opening and Closing Stage
2025/26    Boca Juniors          Primera Division      1st           5th round       Copa Lib semifinals          -
2026/27    Boca Juniors          Primera Division      1st             -              Copa Lib WINNERS         CWC runners-up
2027/28    Boca Juniors          Primera Division      1st           WINNERS          Copa Lib winners         CWC WINNERS
2028/29    Bayern M.             Bundesliga            1st           WINNERS           CL runners-up              -
2029/30    Bayern M.             Bundesliga            1st           winners           CL WINNERS                 -
2030/31    Paris SG              Ligue 1               1st           WINNERS           CL winners              unbeaten in the league

International

2030       England           World Cup WINNERS

Challenge Progress

Club

6/10 top domestic leagues (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U., Argentina-Boca J., Germany-Bayern M., France-PSG)

6/10 domestic cups (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U., Argentina-Boca J., Germany-Bayern M., France-PSG)

5/5 club continental championships (Asia-Yanbian C., Africa-Orlando P., North America-Tigres U., South America-Boca J., Europe-Bayern M.)

International

1/2 world tournaments (World Cup-England)

2017/18 – Hong Kong Rangers

HK_Rangers_red.png

Manager ProfileLeague FixturesOther Fixtures
TransfersCompetitionsPlayers Stats

First season over, and it was an interesting one. Board looking to avoid relegation, something that should be, and was, doable. Season is only 18 matches, so every game counts. Did not play well over time in the league but managed to get points in on a regular basis, which secured us the 6th position in the league. Would have liked to do it better but probably wouldn't be able to challenge for title anyway this season, so for the challenge it wouldn't matter. But where we struggled to get on a roll in the league, the cups went really well. Won 2 domestic cups and lost a third one in the final, something that should secure the first landmark of this challenge. Since the foundation of this team left during and after this season, I did not extend my contract and will be looking for a new job. Hopefully I can find a club good enough to challenge for more trophies, so I can cover more ground in this challenge.

Season    Team                League                     Position   Domestic Cups            Continental Cup   Notes
2017/18   Hong Kong Rangers   Hong Kong Premier League   6th        1st/1st/2nd/Qtr. final   N/A               National C-license, 2 domestic cups

Challenge Progress
Club
1/10 domestic cups (Rangers, HKG;)

International
0/2 world tournaments ()

Edited by Skogmus

2019/20 Season - Moving clubs!

I did sign a new contract with Grimsby and after a really good start the job interviews started flooding in, and just as our form started falling away (we slipped from 1st to 6th in League 2) a job offer came in from the League above and with a £2.3m transfer kitty I couldn't say no.

CheekyBananaFM is off to........

Image result

Currently 11th in League 1 only 4 points off the playoffs

burtur - Season 1

After my adventures in Spain (during my first iteration of this challenge) I was well aware of not taking just any job at some garbage club. I was offered the managerial position at Atletico Madrid....albeit the B-team but it was still a lucrative position. Tempted as that was I decided to turn down the offer. I went to countless job interviews and finally landed a job I was content with. 

Related image

Wycombe Wanderers

A professional club in the English League Two. Our goal is to reach a mid-table finish. Here is our starting position.

image.thumb.png.6fd6361f168b2a158bbcc82d1aa4976c.png

2018 – Geylang International

Geylang_International_FC_Logo.png

Manager ProfileFixtures
CompetitionsPlayer Stats

Not wasting any time, and after leaving Rangers in July 2018 I was hired by Geylang International August 8th. And what a good timing to get hired by this club, 3 days before the League Cup final. Had to work a bit in the beginning to find a formation suitable for this team since there is a lack of central midfielders, but ended up playing a 3-4-1-2 DM. We were deadly effective in that final and defended well to win a game that Niigata Unicorn dominated, thus giving me a new landmark. In the league I took over in 7th position after 16 matches, and managed to get one place up. A record of 4-1-3 is acceptable for this team, but there is potential to finish even higher. We did win quite comfortably against Warriors, Tampines and Home, that are 2nd to 4th in league, so we did have a some great games in the end when the tactic was trained in. I have a contract in this club for another season, and I am tempted to go for league title. Will keep a look out for jobs in Australia and South-Korea, but I think my reputation is too low. Economy here is not great so I have not been able to get the national B-license either.

Season    Team                    League                     Position   Domestic Cups            Continental Cup   Notes
2017/18   Hong Kong Rangers       Hong Kong Premier League   6th        1st/1st/2nd/Qtr. final   N/A               National C-license, 2 domestic cups
2018      Geylang International   Singaporean League         6th        1st/3rd                  N/A               Took over 7th with 8 games to go, 1 domestic cup

Challenge Progress
Club
2/10 domestic cups (Rangers, HKG; Geylang, SIN;)

International
0/2 world tournaments ()

villesplogo.png.d8447f47458af1cc331451ccbcb57e0c.png

Let me introduce you: Thinco Biggo. The self called Football Professor from Argentina. Desperate to prove himself to be the ultimate Football Manager. Not going that well thus far..

First season he got himself a job at Villa Españalo. A club in Uruguay, Montevideo (as are all clubs) which is promoted/relegated every other season. Playoffs went succesfull and the club was promoted. This, together with the signing of Diego Forlan, was his first and only succes.

Season after a lot of trials were held at the club and and we managed to get hold of some really decent players. Only problem in Uruguay is that you can only field 3 foreign players and the pool of foreign players is really small. All good players go to big clubs as Atletico Peñarol, Club Nacional and Defensor Sporting. The rest can get the left overs and or loan players from those clubs. The other irritating thing for Thinco is that after managing 2.5 years in Uruguay he still doesn't have much knowlegde of the players from competitors. So it's hard to look for new players or to decide which players I could loan. 

Thinco made a lot of signings from the trials and this made that the club is in debt now. They do not want to pay for Thinco's C coaching License. He thought he would stay at this club for 1 or 2 years and then move on, but all applications Thinco made are laughed away. Long way to go... 

Season    Team                    League                     Position   Domestic Cups            Continental Cup   Notes
2017	  Villa Española	  Secunda División	      5th        -                        N/A              Promoted
2018      Villa Española	  Primera División	      9th        -                        N/A               
2019	  Villa Española          Primera División            8th        -                        N/A       
  •  

5a46695fa5cd8_ThincoBiggo.thumb.jpg.6805a9b93ea71899757a901df54f1d39.jpg

Edited by Cross

untitled-1_100.png?itok=fYcJhpQw31u4dAhUA+L._SX300_.jpg

I won European International League with England, after getting past Turkey and Portugal in the group, and then beating France and Germany for the meaningless trophy.

Elsewhere, Manchester City failed to win the league after 8 consecutive titles. On top of that, an early crash out of all the cups and Champions League meant the manager was a goner. This is where I jumped in.
I also had an offer from Chelsea, but you know, Man City have more money. :lol:
Soon enough I realized why they failed last year as the squad consisted of the deadly old+overpaid combo. Millions later I managed to fix the team somewhat, but it's still far off what I had at Bayern or PSG. The fact I got hard brexit didn't help much (the implementation of that in the game is still one of the stupidest decisions by SI imo).
Be that as it may, my immediate rivals had awful seasons so I pretty much walked the league. I wanted to win the FA Cup, but ridiculous scheduling saw us play FA cup semis and CL semis in the space of two days. No amount of squad rotation can help there. Luckily, I had already won the Carabao Cup and ticked that off the list.
We won another Champions League, which is a dead trophy at this point, but still nice to take.

20171224094534_1.thumb.jpg.ff90d69c4a2753671d3d095a9317b663.jpg

2030/31    Paris SG              Ligue 1               1st           WINNERS           CL winners              unbeaten in the league
2031/32    Manchester City       Premier League        1st           WINNERS           CL winners              Carabao Cup win, FA Cup semis

International

2031       England           European International League winners

Challenge Progress

Club

7/10 top domestic leagues (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U., Argentina-Boca J., Germany-Bayern M., France-PSG, England-Man City)

7/10 domestic cups (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U., Argentina-Boca J., Germany-Bayern M., France-PSG, England-Man City)

International

6 minutes ago, blackdevil said:

@shirajzl such disgusting filth you're working with there....I mean Man City?  That's just scraping the barrel of acceptability.  Although grudgingly in this case :D well done on another title win, looks like you're almost there.

Yeah, I'm at a point where I'm relentlessly ticking trophies off, by any means necessary. :lol:

Well finally i have my second job and again its in a country i have never managed... Austria

2nlaa2f.png

SV Mattersburg

They are currently 8th in the league...Lets hope i can stop the slide down the league!

@streety What happened to FC Unpronounceable Fram  in Iceland. Did you ever win the title?

@shirajzl So you have the confederations cup in '32, yes? That will be a big one.

@Cross Welcome to the challenge. is Thinco only applying for other jobs in Uruguay? Also, isn't there a cup, or has Thinco just done so badly in the cup that you can't bear to put it in the progress report? Quitting a job (in order to get a new one) isn't necessarily a bad idea. You can take a hit to your rep, but maybe that's offset by other clubs not having to pay compensation. I really don't know, not least because I don't play FM18.

@Skogmus With that second cup win you've out-viked me. I think I took over Corinthians (many versions ago) about 5 days before the second leg of the Copa Lib, and even played a whole other game before picking up my well-deserved trophy. I mean, i did take over another side on the actual day of a cup second leg, but lost. Are we going to have to call it doing a skog now? Ruthless opportunism is my MO.

@burtur Pity your Spain challenge was lost, as that was where I did my first FM18 UFM season, and it would have been interesting to see how things progressed. Good luck in England.

@Cheekybananafm Good luck with Charlton.

8 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@Skogmus With that second cup win you've out-viked me. I think I took over Corinthians (many versions ago) about 5 days before the second leg of the Copa Lib, and even played a whole other game before picking up my well-deserved trophy. I mean, i did take over another side on the actual day of a cup second leg, but lost. Are we going to have to call it doing a skog now? Ruthless opportunism is my MO.

Don't think it's necessary to rename it, even if I took over fewer days before the trophy than you did. When I went to Geylang I actually did not know that I would play the final before I checked the fixtures after I signed the contract, so just took it as a nice opportunity. Even though I won it, it is just a minor cup. Would say it sounds even more insane to come in 5 days before the Copa Lib final, than 3 days before Singaporean League Cup final. 

8 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@streety What happened to FC Unpronounceable Fram  in Iceland. Did you ever win the title?

No unfortunately not, I did come close, but got a feeling i could not take them any further and player power was coming into play came to the conclusion i would harm the team if i stayed, :(.

9 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@Cross Welcome to the challenge. is Thinco only applying for other jobs in Uruguay? Also, isn't there a cup, or has Thinco just done so badly in the cup that you can't bear to put it in the progress report? Quitting a job (in order to get a new one) isn't necessarily a bad idea. You can take a hit to your rep, but maybe that's offset by other clubs not having to pay compensation. I really don't know, not least because I don't play FM18.

Thanks! Thinco is applying everywhere in South-Mid America, with a high preference for Argentina, Brazil, Mexico (in that order). 

There is a mid winter cup in Uruguay, which is a small competition where the league is split in a A and B league. Everybody plays eachother once and the results are counter in the overall table. This year (2019) Villa Española is in a league with Peñarol and Club Nacional. A bit unfair imo. I am not sure how I have to report that in my overview (domestic cup place?)

We have to see what the future will bring us :eek:

5a478ede09de4_SackThinco.thumb.PNG.8fda1fd2bdb79aaf485fcddf5cb4909b.PNG

Edited by Cross

2019 – Geylang International

Geylang_International_FC_Logo.png

Manager ProfileLeague FixturesOther Fixtures
TransfersCompetitionsPlayer Stats

What a season, and how tight it was! Really happy about the transfer window, where we got Shahrin Saberin for free. A great striker that scored goals for fun in the beginning before he started to struggle a bit. Still ended up as top goal scorer in the league with 16 goals in 23 games, closely followed by youngster Ibrahim Wahab with 14 goals. Also we have delivered an insane defensive record, with 16 clean sheets and only 11 goals against. Defensively we also struggled towards the end due to injuries and the departure of Jaidon Selden. Luckily we did just enough in the end to secure the league title, 1 point in front of Niigata Unicorn which have been close on us all season. Also secured the League Cup again, but fell short against Unicorn in the final of Singapore Cup. We are qualified for Champions League after this season, but I'll look to leave this club now as we won't be able to fight for the continental trophy.

2017/18   Hong Kong Rangers       Hong Kong Premier League   6th        1st/1st/2nd/Qtr. final   N/A               National C-license, 2 domestic cups
2018      Geylang International   Singaporean League         6th        1st/3rd                  N/A               Took over 7th with 8 games to go, 1 domestic cup
2019      Geylang International   Singaporean League         1st        1st/2nd                  N/A               National B-license, 1 domestic cup

Challenge Progress
Club
1/10 top domestic leagues (Geylang, SIN;)

International
0/2 world tournaments ()

Congrats! Fun thing about this challenge is that you manage in leagues which are complety unknown. My goal is to manage in as much as leagues where I never managed before. Can't wait to start in Asia and some obscure European countries. 

Holy sheetballs. 105 points in the PL. Well played @shirajzl you are a serial winner. Are you always playing the same system or does it vary?

Congratz @Skogmus on your first league win! Good luck in your future endeavors. 

@vikeologist I was going to resign from that club in Spain anyway so...no harm done really :)

Edited by burtur

1 hour ago, burtur said:

Holy sheetballs. 105 points in the PL. Well played @shirajzl you are a serial winner. Are you always playing the same system or does it vary?

Now that I'm hopping from one top club to another, it's always the same attacking system. I just bombard them with everything and my world class players take care of it one way or another.

Thanks! It was much closer than I would have hoped, but in the end we were that important point in front.

Now 2020 went by rather quick. I resigned from Geylang pretty early due to injuries and players leaving, making the new season a hopeless case. Been applying for jobs since mid-January and couldn't get anything other than a few interviews this year. Might have left Geylang a bit too early, but in the end of December I got hired by a national team. I am now following in the steps of my fellow countryman Egil "Drillo" Olsen and will try my luck as the manager of Iraq. We are currently sitting in 4th place in the World Cup Asian Qualification Final stage group B after 5 out of 10 games, but shouldn't be impossible to get the 3rd place in the end. In that case, we will be looking at a play-off spot and a tough way to the world cup.. Looking out for a job as club manager as I go, but this is a great opportunity to get some new experiences.

real-madrid-c-f-logo-C08F61D801-seeklogo31u4dAhUA+L._SX300_.jpg

Euros brought us a tricky group. After a routine win over Bosnia, we played a nervy draw against Italy and entered the final match against a good Belgium side with a clear possibility to slip up.
Thankfully we kept our cool, both in that match and in the following round against Serbia, which were not up to our quality.
Then came the big match. An even, uneventful match where we were preparing for extra time ended when our striker took matters into his own hands and brought us a 92nd minute winner.
Luck followed us even further as the Czechs eliminated the Germans, giving us a nice and easy semifinal match.
Goddess Fortuna smiled upon as yet again. Spain dominated us, taking the lead early one and comfortably controlling the game. Out of nowhere, completely undeserved, we equalized in the 84th minute.
We were fully back in business since we had fitness advantage (they played their semis a day later) and took over the game in extra time.

euro.thumb.png.2019b911647db2aee96f8ded7853bb6a.png

In the usual managerial rotation after my resigntation from City, I got the Real Madrid job. In previous years I had wondered why there were no Barca or Real in the final reckonings of the Champions League, but I realized why after I'd checked both clubs thoroughly.
Sure, they have good players, but they're nowhere near the "crazy monster newgens" level the other top clubs have.
In any case, I got what I came for, the domestic double. The Champions League, while irrelevant, was shambles. We got knocked out of the (easy) group which is a first with such a big club. Winning the Europa League in the aftermath was small comfort.
I managed to fix the first team, but the squad needs more work. I'll leave that to the next manager.

20171227142926_1.thumb.jpg.8e8eb7fc1c8a8e3f5463e4c3b9fca64e.jpg

2031/32    Manchester City       Premier League        1st           WINNERS           CL winners              Carabao Cup win, FA Cup semis
2032/33    Real Madrid           La Liga               1st           WINNERS          CL group stage           Europa League winners

International

2032       England           European Championship WINNERS

Challenge Progress

Club

8/10 top domestic leagues (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U., Argentina-Boca J., Germany-Bayern M., France-PSG, England-Man City, Spain-Real M.)

8/10 domestic cups (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U., Argentina-Boca J., Germany-Bayern M., France-PSG, England-Man City, Spain-Real M.)

International

4/5 continental tournaments (Africa-Cameroon, Asia-Japan, North America-Mexico, Europe-England)

SACKED!

SACKED.thumb.PNG.bd9ac76518607adbfe138da00c45a370.PNG 

As was feared Thinco got sacked after a 3-2 defeat against Sud America. To bad, because he really had gathered a good team, with an extremely talented 17 years old Uruguayan goalkeeper.

But if the defence lets you down like this, it is maybe better to move on. At least he just got his C license for his departure. 

5a48c0280c1fc_VsSudAmerica.thumb.PNG.a46d84c436412dc6788d89a80d1a301f.PNG

2017	  Villa Española	  Secunda División	      5th        -                        N/A              Promoted
2018      Villa Española	  Primera División	      9th        -                        N/A               
2019	  Villa Española          Primera División            11th       -                        N/A              Sacked - National C license

Challenge Progress

Club

0/10 top domestic leagues 

0/10 domestic cups

0/5 club continental championships

0/1 club world championship

International

0/5 continental tournaments 

0/2 world tournaments 

Edited by Cross

2021 – Iraq

411px-Flag_of_Iraq.svg.png

FixturesGroup Table

Short update as 2021 also went by. My stay at Iraq came short as I resigned after a terrible string of matches, getting only 1 point from the final 5 games. Couldn't really figure out the whole managing a national team thing as I have never really done it before, and nothing really worked as I wanted it to. Decided that it wasn't worth staying, and only upside with the stay is a small increase in reputation. Think I will need some time to figure this national team thing out though, so in the end of this year I was hired as manager for New Zealand. Think this is an easier job where I can figure more out how to manage a national team, before I move to the jobs that will get me landmarks for the challenge. Also have had a few more interviews, and actually got a new club job in January 2022. Will not reveal which team it is yet, but I'm heading to Chinese Super League on a 2-years contract. Hoping to increase reputation more here and prove myself on a higher level before I will move yet again. 

CLUB MANAGEMENT
2019      Geylang International   Singaporean League         1st        1st/2nd                  N/A               National B-license, 1 domestic cup

INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT
Season   Nation        FIFA Ranking   Notes
2020     Iraq          66th           Took over just before new year, no games
2021     Iraq          74th           Resigned when I didn't qualify to WC, fell 8 places on FIFA ranking during my stay
2021	 New Zealand   94th           Took over just before new year, no games

Challenge Progress
Club

International
0/2 world tournaments ()

175?cb=2012041815311431u4dAhUA+L._SX300_.jpg

I'm speeding through this now since I'm in the touching distance of the finishing line.

The penultimate international competition was to be Confederations Cup. Semifinal was a huge, spectacular match, after which beating Mexico seemed far easier, although it was tighter result-wise. That's me done with England.
The last stop is South America.

5a4aafc62dc66_confccup.thumb.png.ed984a4f223656803c66eed455f6f068.png

The next stop on club level is Inter, whose manager left to Chelsea (whom I rejected), which conveniently left an opening for me. Following the usual pattern, we won what we needed and then some. 

20171229170416_1.thumb.jpg.3d187d3b3b0daa2947b8fdd21e5ff4e4.jpg

That's 4th European CL with 4 different clubs, pretty proud of that.
The final nation will be either USA, which requires a lot of work in squad building, or Brazil, which requires a lot of time with the marathon seasons. I haven't decided yet, we'll see what opens up in the future.

2032/33    Real Madrid           La Liga               1st           WINNERS          CL group stage           Europa League winners
2033/34    Inter                 Serie A               1st           WINNERS           CL winners                 -

International

2033       England           Confederations Cup WINNERS

Challenge Progress

Club

9/10 top domestic leagues (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U., Argentina-Boca J., Germany-Bayern M., France-PSG, England-Man City, Spain-Real M., Italy-Inter)

9/10 domestic cups (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U., Argentina-Boca J., Germany-Bayern M., France-PSG, England-Man City, Spain-Real M., Italy-Inter)

International

4/5 continental tournaments (Africa-Cameroon, Asia-Japan, North America-Mexico, Europe-England)

2/2 world tournaments (World Cup-England, Confederations Cup-England)

Sociedade_Esportiva_Palmeiras-logo-0214F413+22aQXkL._SX300_.jpg

It was Brazil in the end. The decision helped the fact I'd become a new manager of Brazil itself (after abysmal WC performance), when Palmeiras came knocking it was an easy decision.
I found the club mid-table, about halfway the season. With the ridiculous abundance of talent in Brazil it wasn't difficult to fix things. I climbed them up to the 4th place and even managed to win Copa Libertadores, having joined them in quarterfinals.
Too bad they had got knocked out of the cup. The next season should be "it", as Copa America is played the next summer as well.

2033/34    Inter                 Serie A               1st           WINNERS           CL winners                 -
2034       Palmeiras             Série A               4th            -               Copa Lib winners         joined with 18 games to go + Copa Lib QF 

International

2033       England           Confederations Cup WINNERS

Challenge Progress

Club

9/10 top domestic leagues (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U., Argentina-Boca J., Germany-Bayern M., France-PSG, England-Man City, Spain-Real M., Italy-Inter)

9/10 domestic cups (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U., Argentina-Boca J., Germany-Bayern M., France-PSG, England-Man City, Spain-Real M., Italy-Inter)

International

2/2 world tournaments (World Cup-England, Confederations Cup-England)

2022 – Shijiazhuang Yongchang // New Zealand

Logo_yongchang.png          500px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

Manager ProfileClub Fixtures 1Club Fixtures 2International Fixtures
Transfers – CompetitionsPlayer Stats

This was an interesting year. Happy to be back in club management, even though I didn't have China as my first choice.. Took over a newly promoted team in Yongchang, and was really just looking to stay clear from those relegation spots. Got a nice start to the season, with 6 points from 3 games before we were in free fall down the table. We were 15th as we reached the midseason break, and two new signings combined with Johnson finally scoring goals got us climbing upwards again. We make a strong 2nd half of the season, being 3rd over this period. If we can play like that consistent over a whole season, I think we might look to challenge for those top spots. Secured both national A- and continental C-license this year, and now starting to study for the continental B-license.

New Zealand are looking strong, and I think I'm getting the hang of managing a national team. Played mostly easy games but had a couple of challenging games. The win against Thailand was strong, even though we didn't score as many goals as we could have. Also we fell just short against Australia in a narrow match, after leading it for a long time. Should probably been able to pull something from that match, but had a lot of restrictions from club managers to follow. Might start looking for a relevant international job soon since NZ don't really play any competition with landmarks for this challenge.

CLUB MANAGEMENT
Season    Team                     League                     Position   Domestic Cups            Continental Cup   Notes
2017/18   Hong Kong Rangers        Hong Kong Premier League   6th        1st/1st/2nd/Qtr. final   N/A               National C-license, 2 domestic cups
2018      Geylang International    Singaporean League         6th        1st/3rd                  N/A               Took over 7th with 8 games to go, 1 domestic cup
2019      Geylang International    Singaporean League         1st        1st/2nd                  N/A               National B-license, 1 domestic cup
2020      N/A                      N/A                        N/A        N/A                      N/A               Unemployed
2021      N/A                      N/A                        N/A        N/A                      N/A               No club job
2022      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League       10th       3rd round                N/A               Continental C-license, expected last in league, 3rd best in 2nd half of the season

INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT
Season   Nation        FIFA Ranking   Notes
2020     Iraq          66th           Took over just before new year, no games
2021     Iraq          74th           Resigned when I didn't qualify to WC, fell 8 places on FIFA ranking during my stay
2021	 New Zealand   94th           Took over just before new year, no games
2022     New Zealand   85th           Played well in friendlies, starting to figure out how this works..

Challenge Progress
Club

International
0/2 world tournaments ()

Season 2019/20 SV Mattersburg

2nlaa2f.jpg

So my next job finally came about and I had applied for two jobs, FK Austria Wien and Mattersburg I had interviews for both but Mattersburg offered me a job first. 

With a handful of games till the season ended the team were in 8th place, Knocked out of the Europa League by Basel and thankfully still in the Cup. The squad was slightly on the big side with no one really worth mentioning. May aim to get into the top half playoffs, a doable task the league was tight 1 win could propel me to 5th.

Tactic

Currently toying with two formations  4-2-3-1 DM Wide and a more attacking variation of the same tactic and my failsafe 4-4-2

2a0gjzs.jpg

League

With 5 games to go in the season my target could be reached I just needed the squad to bed to my tactic the squad had the wingers to do it but my striking options were limited

The results

oi98p5.jpg

It was a mixed bag of the remaining results I had a feeling the team were getting used to my tactics but we missed out on the Champions playoff and fell in to the Relegation playoffs,

Relegation Playoffs

So the team fell into the Relegation playoffs and I was a bit gutted at it, but knowing the team were safe I then had to endure some player morale issues and ANOTHER Team meeting in which some were unhappy about the current position of the club, I basically told them I’m trying but you lot need to get a grip …I have upset a few of them but most seemed to agree. I think I have a bunch of doombringers in the club thinking the club could get relegated..just because we are in the relegation playoff..i will need to look at All the squads personality on all players in pre season. And we Made Europe! Europa League Next Season

Cup

At least the team was still in the Cup a welcome distraction to the moaning and whinging, the team was expected to reach the Quarter Finals but we went one better and maybe should of got to the final if not for the dreaded penalties. Overall happy with the Cup progress.

29vjeb8.jpg

Overall

Defiantly something to work with here in Austria, I have started getting the back room staff together and I’m looking at the transfer market and free market to improve the team. That could all change with the volatile squad and i did promise to improve the squad harmony...ooops i wish they would all shut up and just play football!

Previous Club Watch

Fram have just kicked off the season and are steady in 8th in the League with no signings to speak of..lets see if they can go one better and win the league.

Season   Team                                                                           Position  Notes and Achievements

2018     Knattspyrnufélagið Fram     Inkassodeildin            2nd       League Runners up PROMOTED! 

2019     Knattspyrnufélagið Fram     Pepsi-deild karla         2nd       Cup Winners

2019/20   SV Mattersburg            tipico Bundasliga             8th

Challenge Progress

Club

0/10 top domestic leagues

1/10 domestic cups (Iceland)

0/1 club world championship

International

0/2 world tournaments ()

So much to reply to. 

@streety I think someone else is at the same club as you. Be interesting to see who wins the (non-existent) Battle of the Burg. I was pretty amazed that you'd got a job in the Bundesliga, until I realised it was the Austrian Bundesliga. Still, if they were in the Europa League, hopefully you'll have some resources; financial or personnel, to help you succeed next season. Did Austria Wien qualify for Europe? (on goal difference). That would be a kick in the teeth, but I doubt 6 Austrian teams qualify.

Wait! you're in Europe? Because you reached the cup final? Oh well, congrats then.

@Skogmus Good luck at Everbright. And it's not true that you can't win a landmark with New Zealand. I'm expecting you to have the World and Confederation Cups sown up within 4 years, or the thread dynamic will go to pot.

@shirajzl Be interesting to see if you do indeed complete the challenge next season.

@Cross Send my commiserations to Thinco for getting sacked. I think it happens to lots of people who start this challenge. It's just that we never hear about it. 

@burtur I was going to resign from my Spanish club as well, (once I've fulfilled my 6 month prison spell there). I would just have been curious to see whether you could have got a better job, as I may resume that save (rather than start a new one) when and if I complete my FM17 adventures. Or, and this is a real possibility in the next few days get fed up with mid-table finishes. Anyway, enough about me (as if that's a possibility), looking forward to eventually hearing how you do at Wycombe.

@Cheekybananafm Good luck at Charlton, and Vikeologist notices that you've starting talking about yourself in the third person as well (as Cross). Actually, I've always assumed the fm was a radio reference, but it occurs to me now that maybe it stands for football manager. I always imagined you as an aging amateur disc jockey with a programme on hospital radio where you play only upbeat songs to distract the patients from their imminent deaths. I can almost hear your monkey sound jingles, ending with the words 'Cheeky Banana' in a heavy echo. Please reassure me this is true. 

2 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

So much to reply to. 

@streety I think someone else is at the same club as you. Be interesting to see who wins the (non-existent) Battle of the Burg. I was pretty amazed that you'd got a job in the Bundesliga, until I realised it was the Austrian Bundesliga. Still, if they were in the Europa League, hopefully you'll have some resources; financial or personnel, to help you succeed next season. Did Austria Wien qualify for Europe? (on goal difference). That would be a kick in the teeth, but I doubt 6 Austrian teams qualify.

Wait! you're in Europe? Because you reached the cup final? Oh well, congrats then.

Thanks! Yeah i was eyeing up Austria, Denmark and another country as my next job. The squad need some work to it but i reckon i can do it, As for the whole Europe thing i do not know I did not win the league or get to a cup final...wait i know just figured it out as Rapid Wien won the league and Sturm Gratz won the cup and they were both in Europe so a Playoff between me and Wolfsburger which i won granting me Europa League Football. A small token of achievement in a disappointing season

I've decided to go back to 18, I didn't get on with it but can look past the issues and give this a good go, I'm not sure the processing speed has been addressed or not but I'm going to start this challenge tonight. Can we use the instant result skin or is that against the rules?

1 hour ago, bigmattb28 said:

I've decided to go back to 18, I didn't get on with it but can look past the issues and give this a good go, I'm not sure the processing speed has been addressed or not but I'm going to start this challenge tonight. Can we use the instant result skin or is that against the rules?

It's not against the rules.

1 hour ago, shirajzl said:

It's not against the rules.

Cool. Also does this have to be on 18? Just thinking because I bet I still don't like it when I get on tonight, would love to use 17 and post updates.