Sports Interactive Community
vikeologist

The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge

@yugular - Good work with Orlando. Will be interesting to see where you end up next. Any preferred leagues or just take what's available?

@Ronaldo Beckham - Good luck with Toronto. Just a heads up that you wont be able to win the US Open Cup. The Canadian sides all compete in the Canadian Championship, don't know if that will count towards the domestic cups required @vikeologist?

AmaZulu.thumb.jpg.5b328bdf77a7e94fb687533239092bab.jpg

Season 2019/20 Season Review - Amazulu

After last season's league win my focus would be on the Champions League, however as that didn't start till the new year there was the need to ensure we finished top 2 again just in case. In the CAF Confederation Cup we comfortably made our way to the final, a nervy 2 leg affair saw us win the home leg 2-1 after a late goal from them before a 1-1 draw away would secure us the title. With that win it meant we would play the Champions League winners Orlando Pirates in the Super Cup, a comfortable final saw us win 3-1. Before the league season really started we had to defend the MTN8 Cup which we did. We also won the Telkom Cup for the first time after another nervy final. That was 4 trophies won before the turn of the year. We also played 31 games - our league season only has 30 :D 

Talking of the league, due to our success elsewhere we had a slow start to the season, we found ourselves off the pace for the first half but some key transfers in the winter break freshened up the squad and we didn't lose a single league game in the 2nd half and after running the table last season it took 21 games for us to hit top spot this year, but as we just continued to win we won the league by 13 points. The only negative this season was losing our grip on the Nedbank cup, after back to back wins in this I wasn't to upset by going out - plus it meant less games for the rest of the season.

In the Champions League we've so far had a comfortable run but the 1/4 finals group stage has thrown up a tricky group with not one but 2 of our league rivals in it. I want to win this at the first time of asking as not sure I could handle another couple seasons here as am getting bored and restless after a near perfect season.

Season		Team		League	Position	Achievements
2016/17		Amazulu (SA)	ND1	1st		Promotion
2017/18		Amazulu (SA)	Prem	5th		Cup Win
2018/19		Amazulu (SA)	Prem	1st 		League win, MTN8 cup winners, Nedbank Cup winners
2019/20		Amazuku (SA)	Prem	1st	 	League, MTN8 Cup, Telkom cup, CAF Confederation Cup, CAF Super Cup

Challenge Progress

Club
1/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa, Amazulu 2018/19)
1/10 domestic cups (SA Cup, Amazulu, 2018)
0/5 continental cups
0/1 world club cup

International 
0/5 continental tournaments 
0/2 world tournaments 

Melbourne Victory

Melbourne Victory 2021/22 Season Review

Having had 8 games in charge of Melbourne last year I knew that with the right signings that we could achieve all our targets this season and that proved to be the case. As the 1st July arrived I started to look at the players who have been released from all over the world. After looking for only 15 minutes I had already found my 2 big name signings that were going to make a massive difference.

James Bree was let go by Aston Villa, and although initially he wanted £15k a week to join, he thankfully came to his senses and was happy to accept £4k a week, having been at the club for a few weeks on trial.

The second big name was signed straight away as soon as I saw that he was interested. Zach Clough had been released from Notts Forest and I just knew that I had to get him. He came in as my first designated player and I knew he was going to be fantastic for us.

We added some extra depth to the squad and bought in young Argentine midfielder Lautaro Grosso on loan from River which turned out to be another massive signing for the team.

Cup – Things are a little different in Australia with a 10 week preseason. During this time, the FFA Cup takes place and of course this was a massive target for us. Thanks to the draw it would also allow us an opportunity to test our ‘new look’ self against other fellow A-Leaguers.

In the 1st round we went to Western Sydney and after only 25 minutes I knew that this was going to be a good successful season. New signings Bree & Clough took centre stage, and in Clough I finally had a clinical reliable striker that I could trust. 5-1 the final score, really put a marker down for the rest of the season.

The following 2 rounds were straight forward. We were managing our fitness a lot better than the opponents as in each case both Brisbane and Sydney had played a friendly 3 days earlier and their players hadn’t recovered in time. The score lines might suggest that the games were tight but realistically they both never came close to scoring, and we were into the Semi Final against Perth Glory.

The Semi Final came and again it was an easy win. We had been able to rest certain players in the league game just before this game, and it shone through. Our fitness in the 2nd half really showed as we finally scored our 2nd goal and then confirmed the win with a counter attack late on.

The final was never close. This was such a comfortable game, and in most ways the perfect game. There wasn’t a lot of chances in the game, in fact just 1 in the first half. Thankfully, Clough scored it. I wanted us to attack at the start of the 2nd half and put the game to bed. We did that, and in truth could have scored 3 before we finally added our 2nd in the 57th minute. The 3rd goal after the hour killed the game off and that was it. FFA Cup champions. 1 down, 1 to go.

League – This was easy. Thanks to the long preseason and the FFA Cup games, the squad was fully fit and playing well. This continued for almost 4 full months before we lost in a poor game to Adelaide. We then capitulated against Wellington 2 games later, giving away a 2-goal lead. Thankfully the team rallied together and we then went the rest of the season unbeaten.

After the regular season, we entered the post season games, where a team that finishes 6th can potentially win in the Grand Final. There was no danger of that happening here however as we powered our way to the title with 2 of the most convincing wins that I have ever seen. Whatever we tried it worked, and no defence could stop Zach Clough. If by some miracle they did, new designated player Scott Hogan would pick up the slack and keep us on top.

With the 2 requirements done it was very tempting to leave. There was a wonderful opportunity in South Korea with Seoul who had sacked their manager despite being in 2nd place (4 points behind 1st) and into the quarter final of the Korean Cup. The downside to me is that I don’t believe that they can compete and win the Asian Champions League.  

The other opportunity has come a year too early. New MLS side Atlanta had lost their manager to the US National team (more on that to come) and this is the team that I want to take over when I go to the MLS. The other massive factor is that they will be in the Champions League.

The reason that I didn’t apply for either job is just because I feel that I must try to win in Asia with Melbourne. This team is just too good to not at least have a go, but if I don’t win it first try then I will be moving to the MLS or probably China.

League TableFinals TreeLeague ResultsCup ResultsTransfer History

Tunisia FA Logo

Tunisia 2022 Review

My last year in charge of Tunisia. It has been fun managing them, but with players getting older and not being entered into the Confederations Cup, I decided that the World Cup would be my last tournament in charge.

Before that however we had the chance to renew our African Nations Championship title. Being drawn against Tanzania, Togo & Ghana I was 99% certain that we were going to qualify well. Despite a shocking draw to Tanzania which they deserved to win, we came through the last 2 group games easily and booked our place in the Quarter Finals.

Cameroon were waiting for us and despite dominating the game, they took us into extra time but they couldn’t get the job done. It was disappointing that we couldn’t get the game won in regulation time, especially knowing that the team we would meet in the Semi Final would have an extra day’s rest.

The Semi was a cagey affair against Zambia. It’s a team we should be beating by more, and I was really hoping that we would score 2 or 3 in the first half, knowing that in the second our fitness was going to be terrible. Thankfully, the lack of fitness didn’t cost us and we would meet South Africa in the Final.

Another close game that we couldn’t finish our chances and it would come back to bite us. We only allowed South Africa 2 shots the whole game, but our finishing was just woeful. Extra Time came and went so penalties followed. As expected we lost.

When the draw for the World Cup was made, I really didn’t mind who we got as I thought that the group would consist of Us, a poor team, a team like us & then a fantastic team that would top the group easily.

What happened however was that we got the group of death. All 4 teams were ranked in the top 16. We were 12th and still only the 3rd best team. I have never seen such a hard group. We obviously had won AFCON while the USA had just won the Gold Cup. France lost in the Final of the European Championships & Brazil had lost in the Final of Copa America.

So, we started the group against France and amazingly we matched up really well against them. Their team of superstars couldn’t click together and thankfully for us, we had one of those days where our chances just went in.

After beating France, I was confident of beating the USA. They had beaten Brazil in their first game so they were going to be confident as well. There was a goal for both teams in either half but neither team could hold a lead for longer that 5 minutes. Not a great result for either team with Brazil & France also drawing in their game.

The final game against Brazil was an absolute classic. The underdog (us!) leading 2-0 going into half time only for Neymar to score in injury time. We defended for our lives in the 2nd half while missing a few chances to restore our 2-goal lead. As usual though we got FM’d. Brazil score a last-minute equaliser to level the game at 2-2. In a 2nd half with no stoppages there was only meant to be 2 additional minutes. However, for some reason the referee really didn’t want us to get anything from the game. Plays an extra minute of stoppage time and then gives a ******** penalty which of course they score. It was acknowledged that it was a poor decision in the press a day later.

Thankfully, we still manage to top our group and set up a 2nd round match with Austria. News broke a day before the game that our captain was going to miss the game with a BRUISED TOE! A World Cup 2nd round match and he can’t play with a bruised toe. The game was poor. We missed chance after chance, Austria take their only chance in the 80th minute and our World Cup was over.

After 53 games in charge of Tunisia I said goodbye. Hopefully I can get one of the international jobs available when the World Cup is over.

2022 ResultsWorld Cup Groups A-DWorld Cup Groups E-HWorld Cup Knockout Stages 

|. Club .|

Season   Team                Position  Notes and Achievements
2016/17  Stellenbosch        11th      Took over with the team 16th after 14 games
2017/18  Stellenbosch        1st       Won the First Division Title
2018/19  Stellenbosch        1st       Won the Premiership. Qualified for the Champs League
2019/20	 Stellenbosch  	     1st       Won the Treble. Champs League Group Stage
2020/21	 Stellenbosch 	     -	       Left after winning the Champions League
2020/21	 Melbourne Victory   8th       Took over with the team 10th after 19 games
2021/22	 Melbourne Victory   1st       Treble. Regular Season, Grand Final & FFA Cup

|. Intenational .|

2019     Tunisia                  Took over after a poor ACON campaign
2020	 Tunisia	          Won African Nations Championship
2021	 Tunisia		  Won African Cup of Nations
2022	 Tunisia		  Lost in Final of AFCAN. World Cup 2nd Round

Challenge Progress
Club

2/10 	Top Domestic Leagues   (S. Africa - Stellenbosch 18/19 | Australia - Melbourne Vic 21/22)
2/10 	Domestic Cups          (S. Africa - Stellenbosch 19/20 | Australia - Melbourne Vic 21/22)
1/5 	Club Champions League  (Africa - Stellenbosch 20/21)
0/1 	Club World Championship

International

1/5	Continental Tournaments  (Africa - Tunisia 2021)
0/2	World Tournaments

Edited by Watson156

@Ronaldo Beckham It's only the 'cup' that you can't win with a Canadian side. You can still win the 'league' and the NACL with one. 

MLS (USA) - For challenge purposes the MLS Cup counts as the league, and the US Open Cup counts as the cup. The Canadian Championship, and the league section of the MLS (Supporters Shield) don't count for anything.

Yeah @vikeologist I would rather be a team I can win everything in that Continent with so it saves me time, I just won the Confederations Cup, I don't know where to put it but I put it with the International World Tournaments, let me know if that is the wrong place please.

Challenge Progress 
Club 
6/10 top domestic leagues - Northern Ireland, Holland, Germany, Italy, France, China
5/10 domestic cups - JD Welsh Cup, Northern Irish Cup, English FA Cup, Coupe De France, Chinese FA Cup
1/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League
0/1 club world championship 
International 
4/5 continental tournaments - African Cup Of Nations, Asian Nations Cup, Copa America, European Championships
1/2 world tournaments - Confederations Cup

Confederations Cup.png

I have decided to resign as Toronto manager, solely cos of the lack of players I have in the squad, this is my squad minus 3 players injured so even with them 3 players recovered I still have a bare squad and also can't sign any players cos of the wage cap in the MLS, god I hate the MLS, it is so confusing.

I have applied for Corinthians job, going to try tackle South America first, then back to Europe to win the Champions League and then leave the MLS till last.

Toronto Squad.png

3 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I have decided to resign as Toronto manager, solely cos of the lack of players I have in the squad, this is my squad minus 3 players injured so even with them 3 players recovered I still have a bare squad and also can't sign any players cos of the wage cap in the MLS, god I hate the MLS, it is so confusing.

I have applied for Corinthians job, going to try tackle South America first, then back to Europe to win the Champions League and then leave the MLS till last.

You could always go to Mexico and complete North America that way.

Just completed my season with England and managed to win the Confederations cup and International league. I won the conf cup with Brazil some years ago so it's no longer needed for the challenge, but sets us up nicely for the World Cup next year. Absolutely tonked Spain in the final too. Well, it's the hope that kills you...

LlvM3S8.png

Season review coming later on today. 

Does anybody know how the Mexican League works? Having a look at a few interesting teams and I saw that clubs were in both the South America & North America Champions League. How do they do that? 

I have a high performance laptop and very little social life, I holiday in between games and also holiday some games if I am doing well in the league and can afford a loss.

Orlando_Pirates_FC_(logo).png               1280px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

Season 2028/2029

Orlando Pirates and USA

Quick update after taking Team USA to the Confederations Cup.

We were given a tough draw, with Ivory Coast (boasting the fantastic Souleymane Cisse), European champions Italy and World Cup holders France.

Our campaign started against Italy, where we took a 2-0 lead thanks to a brace from Gino Borg, but we were cruelly denied from taking all three points by a 90th minute Italian equaliser. We then faced Ivory Coast, and took a 1-0 lead into the break. However, we were soon 2-1 down, after Cisse scored a brace himself. No fear, Gino Borg took matters into his won hands, levelling things up with twenty minutes to go, before grabbing the winner as the clocked ticked to 90. 4 points from 2 games meant we went into the game against France knowing a draw would be enough to seal a semi final place. We went 1-0 up and 2-1 up, but the French pegged us back each time. After a nervous end to the game, we sealed our place in the last four, but if I'm totally honest we rode our luck somewhat.

That luck ran out in the semi final against Argentina, who beat us 2-1. We brought it back to 1-1, but they scored from the kick off, and we couldn't come back again. We lost the third placed play off to Croatia, again 2-1, but we did well to get this far.

So what now? I'm resigning as USA manager, as I've taken them as far as I can. I'm hoping a decent job comes up, either in Europe or South America (as the Asian nations wont be changing managers for a while). Its been a blast managing this side, and a Gold Cup win, as well as semi finals in the Confederations Cup and World Cup, and reaching 3rd in the world rankings, surely provides a watershed moment for 'soccer' and Team USA. Definitely a job well done here.

Club

Season        Team             Position      Notes and Achievements
2016/17      Dungannon     9th            Irish Cup winners, Mid-Ulster Cup winners

2018            Sligo Rovers    1st             League winners!

2019            Tianjin              1st             League winners!

2020            Tianjin              8th            FA Cup winners! Champions League winners!

2021            Montreal         4th            League (MLS Cup) winners!

2022            Montreal         1st             Won MLS Supporters' Shield, currently in last 8 of NACL

2023            Montreal          N/A          NACL winners!

2023            Palmeiras        9th           Brazilian Cup winners!

2024/25      Ajax                  1st            League winners!

2025/26     Unemployed

2026/27     Orlando Pirates  8th      Took over with 10 games to go.

2027/28     Orlando Pirates  4th      SA Knockout Cup winners!

2028/29     Orlando Pirates   2nd    SA FA Cup winners!

Country

2021           Ivory Coast         Qualified for the World Cup

2022           Ivory Coast         World Cup quarter finalists. Quarter finalists in CHAN. Qualified for African Cup of Nations

2023          Ivory Coast         African Cup of Nations winners!

2024          Unemployed

2025          USA                     Qualified for World Cup

2026          USA                     Lost in World Cup Semi Final (finished 3rd). Upto 5th in the world

2027          USA                     North American Gold Cup winners!              

2028          USA                     World Cup qualification is going well

2029          USA                     Lost in Confederations Cup Semi Final (finished 4th)

Challenge Progress

Club

4/10 top domestic leagues - Republic of Ireland (Sligo), China (Tianjin), USA (Montreal), Netherlands (Ajax)

4/10 domestic cups - Northern Ireland (Dungannon), China (Tianjin), Brazil (Palmeiras), South Africa (Orlando Pirates)

2/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League (Tianjin), NACL (Montreal Impact)

0/1 club world championship -

International

2/5 continental tournaments - African Cup of Nations (Ivory Coast 2023), North American Gold Cup (USA 2027)

0/2 world tournaments -

Bit of a long update here so bear with me, this may take a while....

AmaZulu.thumb.jpg.5b328bdf77a7e94fb687533239092bab.jpg

Season 2020/21 Review

So my target for this season was the champions league, nothing else mattered to me, if I could win that then I would be done with Africa and I could start to move on, so with that in mind we started this season in the group stages alongside fellow African clubs Ajax and Orlando Pirates (the defending champions) and Raja Casablanca. Our first game was away to the Pirates, a poor performance from us was salvaged with a late equaliser for a 1-1 draw, the following game we were beaten at home for the first time in ages by Raja 2-0, putting us on the back foot for sure. Next up was Ajax away and we couldn't afford to lose. We didn't. We drew 0-0. 2 points from 3 games, we needed a win. After some pre season friendlies (the group stage takes place over the summer months) Pirates came to town next and we found our form with a 3-0 win, we went away to Raja next, an early goal for us was all that was needed for the win. Final group game we smashed Ajax 5-1 to rise like a phoenix and win the group. Don't ask me how.

In the semi finals we had Wydad Casablanca, first leg away and a red card for one of our forwards put us on the back foot, a goal in the middle of the 2nd half was enough for Wydad to win the game 1-0. In the home game we came out firing with 4 goals by half time. Game ended 4-0 to us and we were in the final against Orlando Pirates. The home leg saw 5 goals by half time with us edging out a 3-2 lead, we grabbed a 4th with an hour gone to seal a 4-2 win. In the away leg we once again came out the blocks and there were 4 goals by half time this time around. No more goals in the 2nd half meant we won 3-1. 7-3 on aggregate and we were champions of Africa!

At that point I was ready to leave but no interesting jobs were around so I went on and thought I'd stick around for the Club World Cup anyway. We started off against Auckland City and found out a 1-0 win. Next up, in the semi final was Man Utd! Our ability to start quickly meant we somehow found ourselves 3-0 up after 20 minutes and I started to dream. Rashford scored a penalty after 30 minutes. 2nd half and we were hanging on but Carrasco popped up with 13 mins to go to equalise. Extra time it would be, within 60 seconds we scored a 3rd. United threw everything at us and in the 120th minute we broke as Carrasco grabbed his 2nd to take it to penalties. An epic shootout took place with United winning 9-8. In the 3rd place play off we lost 3-0 to Brazilian side Flamengo (who had been shocked by the Mexican side Tigers who would also shock United in the final) and the dream was over. We did retain the African Super Cup as well.

Domestically not much to say, we were top of the table with games in hand, only 2 league defeats in 20 games, in the cups we made it to the final of the MTN8 but lost to Kaizer Chiefs. In the Telkom we lost ion the 1st round to Orlando Pirates and in the Nedbank Chiefs beat us in the 2nd round. Towards the end of the season I also took over the job of Egypt. Only played 2 games and we drew both as we failed to hold on to leads against Nigeria and South Korea. However a much move interesting job appeared in Australia as I took over at Melbourne City with just 2 games to go they were 9th (out of 10) we won both and ended 9th.

Sorry for rambling but had lots to get through. On to new adventures now. Thank you Africa, you have been wonderful. I leave Amazulu as an Icon.

Melbourne.png.5a1b8b0459cfc389faf37c49906393cb.pngFlag_of_Egypt.png.9b1db744c9d2be5f6850172f163565af.png

Season		Team			League	Position	Achievements
2016/17	Amazulu (SA)			ND1	1st		Promotion
2017/18	Amazulu (SA)			Prem	5th		Cup Win
2018/19	Amazulu (SA)			Prem	1st 		League win, MTN8 cup winners, Nedbank Cup winners
2019/20	Amazuku (SA)			Prem	1st		League, MTN8 Cup, Telkom cup, CAF Confed Cup, CAF Super Cup
2020/21	Amazulu (SA)			Prem	1st		Champions League win, Super cup
2020/21	Melbourne City (Aus)		Prem	9th		Took over in 9th

International 

Season		Country		Achievements
2020/21		Eygpt			

Challenge Progress

Club
1/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa, Amazulu 2018/19)
1/5 continental cups (African Champions League, Amazulu 2020)
0/1 world club cup

International 
0/2 world tournaments 

19 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I also won the Club World Championship so where do I put that in please.

Club World Championship.png

Challenge Progress

Club

0/10 top domestic leagues (Insert nations)

0/10 domestic cups ()

0/5 club continental championships () Libertadores goes here

0/1 club world championship - Club World cup goes here

International

0/5 continental tournaments ()

0/2 world tournaments () 

Hopefully these type of questions are answered in the first and third posts of the thread.

Edited by vikeologist

@darren1983 Always good to get South Africa out of the way and avoid the dreaded getting knocked out of the Champions league early in the domestic season. Be interesting to see how things go at Australia. Not many people have won the CL from down under.

On that subject it seems as though somebody suggested on the thread recently that the easiest league to win the CL from is China. That may be true IRL this season, because Seoul are suspended, but I think that S Korea is still the best, if sack-likely, option in the game.

@numero uno gunner    Look forward to seeing where you end up internationally, and hope your first CL run goes well. 

Some people do go through their seasons quickly, but this thread would suffer if they had social lives or spent time like I do micro-managing. Long may they speed, though I confess it makes it difficult to comment much beyond congrats. With a big challenge like this though, the instant result skin can definitely be your friend.

@Watson156 No, nobody knows how the Mexican continental qualification works in the game. Presumably a SI coder does. Just surrender to the mystery of the universe.

@dkouv So you'll be getting to the heat of the meat soon. Good luck. It's been absolutely ages since anybody completed; nearly 8 months and N1G is the only finisher in the last year. Of course I probably would have pretty much finished myself by now if not for the Copa Lib bug. Well, I'd have completed the club side. I still wouldn't have won an international tournament; obviously.

@Cheekybananafm - How's it going with San Lorenzo. Having had the best Argentinian side by far in my last save, but not being able to make any headway in the Lib, (and my top Chilean side didn't last long in the Sudamerica, I'm resigned to having to manage a Brazilian side to get the Lib. Still, as I did the vike of all vikes the last time I won the thing, perhaps I should suck it up and pay my penance.

Edited by vikeologist

Melbourne Victory

Melbourne Victory 2022/23 Extended Season Review

So, having left Tunisia after the World Cup my entire focus this season was on winning my group and then qualifying for the Champions League knockout stages.  Before all of this could happen, I would have another long pre-season the FFA Cup campaign and the start of the A-League season.

I didn’t feel the need to bring any other big names into the squad this year. I did make Lautaro Grosso’s loan deal a permanent one on a free transfer. The other transfers this season were all depth players to replace players that had left.

Cup – We got a very kind draw in the first 2 rounds as we played non-league opposition and as expected we comfortably beat them both. The quarter final saw a Melbourne derby and once again this was another comfortable win. It’s always nice to beat your rivals but more especially pleasing was the fact that we were doing it with almost a reserve team.

The Semi Final once again was against lower division opponents and yet again another convincing win for the reserves saw us through to the final against Central Coast. I debated whether or not to bring back the first teamers for the final but ultimately decided to trust in the team that had got us there. It proved to be the right decision as we came through a tough game to win 2-0.

An amazing run which saw us not only defend our trophy, but go through the whole competition without conceding a goal. A sign of things to come.

League – An utter formality. I was completely gutted that we lost to Sydney in our 3rd game as I knew that we had an outstanding chance to go through the entire competition undefeated. It wasn’t to be, but it didn’t matter.

The score lines this season weren’t as spectacular as last season but I think the main reason for that was the injuries that Zach Clough suffered this season. He broke his collarbone before the league games started which put him out for 3 months. Finally, after recovering from that he then twisted his ankle in his 3rd game back which ruled him out for another month.

Thankfully fellow designated player Scott Hogan took his opportunity and would lead the team with 17 goals in the league. Lautaro Grosso also shone this season ending up with 25 goals in all competitions, including 15 in the league.

Champions League – The important one. When the groups were drawn I was hopeful for an easy group, but as experienced with Tunisia, I don’t seem to get easy groups and that was the case here as well. We were drawn against Seoul (South Korea), Beijing (China) & Antlers (Japan). I was worried. 3 good teams from 3 of the bigger nations in Asian football. However, what happened in the group stages showed that we were onto something here with Melbourne and that they should all be fearing us.

We would end up topping the group winning all but one of our games, and scoring an impressive 20 goals while only conceding 2. The opening day smashing away to Seoul really led me to believe that this wasn’t going to be as difficult as I thought. This was confirmed with another outstanding away victory against Beijing who at the time were comfortably top of the Chinese Super League.

We were bought massively back down to earth in the first leg of the 2nd round away to Sanfrecce. We lost 2-0 and while we were missing a few players through suspension, we should never have lost in that manner. Thankfully, a convincing professional display at home saw us through to the next round. We managed to equal the aggregate score within 10 minutes and from then on there was only ever going to be one winner.

We travelled back to South Korea for the ¼ finals against Suwon. They were having a tough time in the league and I was confident that this would be another comfortable victory. A real entertaining first leg saw us win 4-3 and set up the home leg very nicely. Having 4 away goals was always going to give us a massive advantage. It wasn’t needed as we finished the job winning 3-1 and setting up a Semi Final match against fellow Australian team Adelaide.

This was the perfect draw for us. Having obliterated the league for the past 2 seasons I was 100% confident that we were going to win this and be through to the final. As expected, that was the case. A couple of easy 2-0 wins saw us into the final against very strong Saudi team Al-Hilal.

Al-Hilal had some very good players but before the final it seemed that it was written in the stars that we were going to win the final. Days before the first leg, Al-Hilal lost star forward Jese (ex Real Madrid & PSG player) who had scored 8 goals on route to the final. His loss really hurt Al-Hilal as they couldn’t create anything going forward and ended up losing the first leg 3-0. The first leg proved to be too much for Hilal and in the 2nd leg there was too much for them to do. Jese played despite being only 77% fit but it didn’t matter. Having no option but to push forward to try and score we were able to counter them twice in the first half to really put the game beyond doubt. Zach Clough (who else!) scored a third in the second half and that was that. Champions of Asia.

My time at Melbourne has come to an end. I’ve been in charge for 97 games and have won an amazing 81 of them. I really didn’t expect to be finished in Australia so soon, but it really is down to the signing’s that I made last year. Clough, Hogan, Bree & Grosso really are too good for this league and no doubt they will leave when I am gone.

What’s next? Probably USA although if the right club opens in South Korea, China or Mexico then I could be off there for a year or two. In my mind, I want to win the North American Champs League with an MLS team and the South American Champs League with a Brazilian team (I would do it with Boca who are dominating Argentina at the moment).

I am on the lookout for a new International job, but have found it tricky to get one again. Apparently, I am not a good enough candidate for the USA job despite all I have won.

League TableFinals TreeLeague ResultsCup ResultsChampions League ResultsTransfer History

|. Club .|

Season   Team                Position  Notes and Achievements
2016/17  Stellenbosch        11th      Took over with the team 16th after 14 games
2017/18  Stellenbosch        1st       Won the First Division Title
2018/19  Stellenbosch        1st       Won the Premiership. Qualified for the Champs League
2019/20	 Stellenbosch  	     1st       Won the Treble. Champs League Group Stage
2020/21	 Stellenbosch 	     -	       Left after winning the Champions League
2020/21	 Melbourne Victory   8th       Took over with the team 10th after 19 games
2021/22	 Melbourne Victory   1st       Treble. Regular Season, Grand Final & FFA Cup
2022/23	 Melbourne Victory   1st       Treble again. Champions League 1/4 Final
2023/24	 Melbourne Victory   -         Left after winning the Champions League

|. Intenational .|

2019     Tunisia                  Took over after a poor ACON campaign
2020	 Tunisia	          Won African Nations Championship
2021	 Tunisia		  Won African Cup of Nations
2022	 Tunisia		  Lost in Final of AFCAN. World Cup 2nd Round

Challenge Progress
Club

2/10 	Top Domestic Leagues   (S. Africa - Stellenbosch 18/19 | Australia - Melbourne Vic 21/22)
2/10 	Domestic Cups          (S. Africa - Stellenbosch 19/20 | Australia - Melbourne Vic 21/22)
2/5 	Club Champions League  (Africa - Stellenbosch 20/21 | Asia - Melbourne Vic 23/24)
0/1 	Club World Championship

International

1/5	Continental Tournaments  (Africa - Tunisia 2021)
0/2	World Tournaments

@vikeologisthaven't had much time to play this weekend due to being away but I was mid-way through the next season, doing really well, but our good run in the Sudamericana means we have shed loads of games in hand (we have played 14, some teams above us have played 22!!)

Copa Lib hasn't been drawn yet (its only December) but as long as I can keep players fit I feel we have a decent chance of pushing through. I'm not expecting to win it, semi finals would be an achievement. The main issue at the moment is money, balance still Ok but board not giving me anything to spend and it's hard work keeping hold of my big name players! Hoping to have a good session today/tonight and attempting to get this season pretty much done

Sorry @vikeologist I forgot it was all on the first post and thanks for clearing it up.

Challenge Progress 
Club 
6/10 top domestic leagues - Northern Ireland, Holland, Germany, Italy, France, China
5/10 domestic cups - JD Welsh Cup, Northern Irish Cup, English FA Cup, Coupe De France, Chinese FA Cup
2/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League, Copa Libertadores
1/1 club world championship - Club World Championships
International 
4/5 continental tournaments - African Cup Of Nations, Asian Nations Cup, Copa America, European Championships

2031/32 Review - San Lorenzo

san-lorenzo-logo.thumb.png.48a7541bf668d1aed04567ad2305c592.png.45be1444ce3df830ec92e13007d68262.png

Another season down!

Argentina Premier Division - We smashed it again, more goals, more points, we won the title with 5 games to spare this time only losing 1 game all season (the first game of the season!)

2031 Argentina Cup - We were into the last 16 at the end of last season, not sure why this cup spreads over 2 different seasons but who cares! We breezed through the last 16 beating Colon 3-0, in the Quarters we beat Crucero 2-0, semis we eased past Huracan 2-0 and then to the final where we play Gimnasia, a pretty easy game and so it turned out as we smashed them 5-0 to easily win the cup!

2032 Argentina Cup - I played the reserves and we lost on penalties to Rosario Central in the 5th Round

2031 Copa Sudamericana - Although it's not the big one that I need to win this would be a good test in preparation for the 2032 Copa Libertadores, the competition started in the previous season where we had got ourselves into the 2nd round, we beat Venezuela side Mineros de Guayana 7-0 on aggregate, we were handed a tough test in the 3rd round where we faced Brazilian side Gremio, or so we thought! We won the home leg 4-0 and then drew the away leg 1-1 to go through 5-1 on aggregate, next up was Colombian side Santa Fe in the Quarters and it was another easy win 4-2 at home, 2-0 away, 6-2 on aggregate. In the Semis we faced fellow Argentina side Huracan, the aggregate score was 5-1 (3-1 at home, 2-0 away). Into the final where we played Palmeiras, a really tough game, the first leg was away and it ended 1-1, in the 2nd leg we played amazing winning the game 4-2 to win another trophy and give me huge confidence for the upcoming Copa Lib! 

2032 Copa Libertadores - We got a really easy group containing Universitario (Chile), Olimpia (Paraguay) and Caracas (Venezuela). No big clubs as we were seeded 1st and a huge chance of getting into the knockouts. At the end of the season we had finished the group stage and as expected we eased into the knockouts. We qualified with a game to spare, in the 6 games we won 4, drew 2, scoring 25 and conceding 2! We finished top of the group by 6 points. The last 16 draw has just happened and we have escaped the big boys once again, no offence to Universidad Católica of Chile but it could've been a damn sight worse!

So a really successful season, League, cup and Sudamericana winners, 1 more trophy to get and that's South America complete.

I'm still waiting for an International job, the 2032 Euros are just about to happen so hoping to get a big job where I can challenge in the 2034 World Cup and maybe the 2036 Euros as well. Here's hoping!!

Season   Team   		 Position  Notes and Achievements
17/18	Thanda Royal Zulu	1st		South African 1st Division Champs
18/19	Thanda Royal Zulu	1st		South African Premier Division Champs
19/20	Thanda Royal Zulu	2nd 		SA Knockout Cup and Super 8 Winner
2021	Thanda Royal Zulu			African Champions League Winners
2022	Shanggang		1st		Chinese Super League, Chinese Cup and Asian Champions League Winners
23/24	Cruz Azul		4th/4th		Mexican Opening Stage and Mexican Cup Champions
24/25	Cruz Azul		1st/6th		Nothing Won!
26/27 	Monterray		1st/1st		Opening/Closing Stage Winner and NACL Winners
28/29 	Hibernian		4th		Nothing won
29/30	Hibernian		2nd		Scottish Cup Winners
30/31	San Lorenzo		1st		Argentina Premier Division Winners
31/32	San Lorenzo		1st		Argentina League and Cup Winners + Copa Sudamericana Winners

International
28-30	Ivory Coast		2029 ACON Winners

Challenge Progress

Club

4/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2019, China - Shanggang 2022, Mexico - Cruz Azul 2024, Argentina - San Lorenzo 2031)

5/10 domestic cups (South Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2020, China - Shanggang 2022, Mexico - Cruz Azul 2024, Scotland - Hibernian 2030, Argentina - San Lorenzo 2031)

3/5 club continental championships (Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2021, Asian - Shanggang 2022, North America - Monterray 2027)

International

1/5 continental tournaments (African Nations - Ivory Coast 2029)

0/2 world tournaments ()

Just a quick update to say I left Cruizero and joined Internacional due to the fact that Internacional have a better chance of winning the league, better players and also they are in the Copa Sudermericana so hoping to tick that off my list.

You know that its the Copa Libertadores that you need to win, not the Copa Sudamericana, right? The compulsory trophies needed for the challenge are in the opening post in case you missed them.

My pre-season is taking me forever and a day this time around. I'm trying to plan almost two seasons ahead in preparation for the Champions League, and its draining!

255px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png

South Africa 2050 Report

So we competed in two competitions this year; the CHAN and then the World Cup so I thought i'd give a quick update on how those went. I didn't need to win either of these to progress in the challenge, the main goal was simply not to get sacked. As I only have international management left for the challenge I thought i'd change up the format of my international updates to be more similar to how I did my club updates. Anyways here is how we went:

African Championship of Nations:

I had a great squad available to me for this tournament including plenty of my old Sundowns players so I expected us to progress deep into the competition. We drew a group with Congo, Senegal and Nigeria.

Group stage-

South Africa 3-0 Congo (goals from Zulu, Lekoelea, Konqobe) A good solid start as we beat probably the weakest team in the group. Unfortunately one of our starting strikers was injured and is out for the tournament

South Africa 1-1 Senegal (goal from Mathebula) We dominated and should have won but conceded from a horrifying backpass. Not the end of the world as a draw will send us through in the next game

South Africa 2-1 Nigeria (goals from Mazibuko x2) We went behind but didn't panic and came back to win it in the last minute. A draw would've been enough but always good to grab a win.

Quarter final-

South Africa 2-0 DR Congo (goals from Mhlongo, O.G.) Another good performance as we progressed pretty easily.

Semi final-

South Africa 3-0 Sudan (goals from Lekoelea, Mazibuko, Notoane) Our best performance yet as we never looked like losing. On to surprise finalists Zambia next!

Final-

South Africa 2-1 Zambia (goals from Notoane, Lekoelea) We dominated again and saw it out to become CHAN champions. I've won this competition twice in a row now with 2 different teams unbelievably. Why can we perform so well in the CHAN but never the ACON?!

World Cup:

We drew a ridiculously hard group with England, Spain and Iran, all ranked higher than us despite us being the third seed. I had very little hope of getting to the next round but just focused on not getting sacked.

Group stage-

South Africa 2-0 Iran (goals from Cele, Ngcobo) A good performance in a game we really wanted to win. 

South Africa 0-5 Spain  Well this was not what I wanted at all! We set out to play a patient counter-attacking game but conceded within a minute and it all went downhill from there.

South Africa 0-1 England  A better performance as we tried out a new, more defensive formation but we still ended up losing out to a late goal.

So overall a great performance in one competition and an average one in the other. I didn't get sacked thankfully so the next update will be ACON 2051! I have honestly no idea how well we will do, especially as my star fullback and second best player just retired out of nowhere at age 30... 

Season       Team             Position         Champs League       Notes and Achievements     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               Promoted to South African Premier League
2017/18      Royal Eagles     1st                  -               KO Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2018/19      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               FA Cup runners up, CL qualification, CL ongoing
2019/20      Royal Eagles     1st              Semi Final          KO Cup winners, FA Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2020/21      Royal Eagles     --               Semi Final          KO Cup winners, Super 8 runners up, left halfway through season for Molde
2021         Molde            1st                  -               Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2022         Molde            --                   -               Undefeated and 1st in the league when I left for Genk
2022/23      Genk             1st                  -               EL Semi finalists
2023/24      Genk             2nd              Group Stage         Super Cup winners, Cup runners up, EL Quarter finalists
2024/25      Genk             1st               Playoff            Cup winners, CL qualification
2025/26      Saint Etienne    3rd                  -               Supercup winners, Cup runners up, EL Semi finals, MOTS, CL qualification
2026/27      Saint Etienne    3rd               Playoff            Cup winners, EL Quarter finals, CL qualification
2027         Jeonbuk          1st              Semi Final          Took over in 6th position, CL qualification
2028         Jeonbuk          1st              CHAMPIONS           Cup winners, MOTS, FA cup best manager, CL qualification, 5th in CWC
2029/30      Tigres        1st + 2nd               -               Cup winners, Libertadores qualification, MOTS
2030/31      Tigres        1st + 1st           CHAMPIONS x2        Quintuple winners, CWC qualification, double CL qualification again, MOTS
2031/32      Tigres      3/4th + 1st     2nd Round + runner up     Recopa winners, CWC Champions, NACL runners up
2032/33      Roma             4th             1st KO Round         Cup semis, CL qualification
2033/34      Roma             1st             1st KO Round         Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2034/35      BMG              1st             1st KO Round         Cup semis, CL qualification
2036/37      Chelsea          2nd             1st KO Round         EFL Cup runners up, FA Cup semis, CL qualification
2037/38      Chelsea          2nd             1st KO Round         FA Cup winners, EFL Cup runners up, CL qualification
2038/39      Chelsea          1st             1st KO Round         MOTS, CL qualification
2039/40      Chelsea          2nd              Semi Final          CL qualification
2040/41      Barcelona        1st             1st KO Round         CL qualification, Cup winners, Supercup winners, MOTS runner-up
2041/42      Barcelona        1st              Runners Up          Unbeaten in the League, Cup winners, Supercup winners, MOTS, CL qual.
2042/43      PSG              1st              CHAMPIONS           Cup winners x2, Supercup winners, CL qualification
2043/44      PSG              1st             1st KO Round         CWC winners, French + Euro Supercup winners, CL qualification
2044/45      Celtic           1st                  -               Cup winners, CL qualification
2045/46      Sundowns         4th                  -               FA Cup runners up
2046/47      Sundowns         1st                  -               Domestic quadruple winners, CL qualification
2047/48      Sundowns         1st                  -               KO Cup winners, African Confed winners, African Supercup winners, CL qual.
2048/49      Sundowns         1st              1st Round           Domestic quadruple winners, CL qualification
2049         Sundowns          -               CHAMPIONS           Super 8 winners, resigned after winning CL

Challenge Progress

Club
 10/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa- Royal Eagles, Norway- Molde, Belgium- Genk, South Korea- Jeonbuk, Mexico- Tigres, Italy- Roma, Germany- BMG, England- Chelsea, Spain- Barcelona, France- PSG)
 10/10 domestic cups (South Africa KO Cup- Royal Eagles, Norwegian Cup- Molde, Belgian Cup- Genk, Coupe de la Ligue(France)- Saint Etienne, Korean FA Cup- Jeonbuk, Mexican Cup Opening Stage- Tigres, Italian Cup- Roma, FA Cup- Chelsea, Copa del Rey- Barcelona, Scottish Cup- Celtic)
 5/5 club continental championships (Asian CL- Jeonbuk 2028, Copa Libertadores- Tigres 2031, NACL- Tigres 2031 Champions League- PSG 2043, African CL- Mamelodi Sundowns 2049) 
 1/1 club world championship (Tigres 2031)

International
 3/5 continental tournaments (Copa America 2031- Brazil, Gold Cup 2035- Mexico, European Championship 2040- Spain)
 2/2 world tournaments (Confederations Cup 2033- Brazil, World Cup 2034- Brazil)

International:
Season       Team             Notes and Achievements     
----------------------------------------------------------
2018        China U23         Won Asian Games
2019        Cameroon          Started ACON qualification, switched to Algeria
2019        Algeria           Resigned after 2 games
2021        Nigeria           Qualified for world cup, ACON qualification ongoing
2022        Nigeria           Knocked out of World Cup in group stage, resigned
2023        Ivory Coast       Started World Cup and ACON qualifying
2024        Ivory Coast       Qualified for ACON
2025        Ivory Coast       Knocked out of ACON in quarter finals, resigned
2026        Ghana             Qualified for ACON
2027        Ghana             ACON runners up, resigned
2028        SK + France U23   Won U23 Asian Cup, Olympic silver medallists
2029        Brazil            Qualified for World Cup
2030        Brazil            4th in World Cup
2031        Brazil            Copa America Winners!
2032        Brazil            Qualified for World Cup
2033        Brazil            Confederations Cup Winners!
2034        Brazil            World Cup Winners!
2035        Mexico            Gold Cup Winners!
2036        Spain             Started World Cup qualifying
2037        Spain             Qualified unbeaten for the World Cup
2038        Spain             World Cup runners-up
2039        Spain             European International League Div.A Winners!
2040        Spain             European Championship Winners!
2041        Ivory Coast       Missed out on World Cup qualification on goal difference
2042        Ivory Coast       Qualified for ACON
2043        Ivory Coast       Knocked out of ACON in quarter finals, resigned
2044        Egypt             CHAN runners-up
2045        Egypt             Knocked out of ACON in quarter finals, resigned
2046        Senegal           Knocked out of World Cup in quarter finals
2047        Senegal           ACON runners-up, resigned
2048        Nigeria           CHAN Winners, qualified for ACON
2049        Nigeria           Knocked out of ACON in semi finals, resigned
2050        South Africa      CHAN winners, knocked out of World Cup in group stage

On 31/07/2017 at 09:42, vikeologist said:

@darren1983 Always good to get South Africa out of the way and avoid the dreaded getting knocked out of the Champions league early in the domestic season. Be interesting to see how things go at Australia. Not many people have won the CL from down under.

Was a massive relief to win the champions first time of asking, with only 2 points from first 3 group games I was dreading another season. No decent jobs were coming up in China or South Korea and I'm a lazy Brit that sees learning a new language as a waste of time :D Have never managed in Australia so it's a brand new experience. Slightly upset with @Watson156 stealing my thunder and, not only winning the champions league from Australia but doing so with my cross town rivals :mad: 

Hi all.  I'm going to give the Ultimate Challenge a go and after waiting until mid October I have my first job in charge of the mighty Fylde FC.  I have done a similar challenge in the past and took Royal Eagles to African glory but there was a bit of rage quitting involved so I never documented it.  I recently had a go with Halifax and managed to get them to the top of the Vanarama after being cured of the rage quit illness, but I selected them at the start of the game so couldn't count it.  I'll document this as I go along but it normally takes me a couple of weeks to get through a season.  Speak to you soon.

I just won the Brazilian Championship, my aim now to get a top European job so I can win the UEFA Champions League.

Challenge Progress 
Club 
7/10 top domestic leagues - Northern Ireland, Holland, Germany, Italy, France, China, Brazil
2/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League, Copa Libertadores
International 

Brazilian League Title.png

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

I took over at Cardiff who were 2nd in the league last season and have a decent squad as well, they unfortunately got knocked out of the Champions League before I took over, the finances are rubbish though so will have to wait till the summer to buy.

Let's see what I can do with Cardiff then.

Cardiff.png

@Simmo256 Welcome to the challenge. Looking forward to your updates. Always good to have fresh blood, especially with some folk so close to completing.

@Ronaldo Beckham Congrats on success in Brazil.

Hopefully have an update of my own soon. The race for the title is tighter than Donald Trump in spandex.

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 12:15, darren1983 said:

Was a massive relief to win the champions first time of asking, with only 2 points from first 3 group games I was dreading another season. No decent jobs were coming up in China or South Korea and I'm a lazy Brit that sees learning a new language as a waste of time :D Have never managed in Australia so it's a brand new experience. Slightly upset with @Watson156 stealing my thunder and, not only winning the champions league from Australia but doing so with my cross town rivals :mad: 

I do apologise!! I'm sure that you'll do well with City. I didn't intend on winning the Champions League in Australia as I was looking forward to winning it in China, but the additions that I made just made the team too good.

I find it quite interesting to see you managing in Melbourne as well. I swear on my save it is only the Melbourne sides that sack their managers.

Pug's Update Season 2028-29

EQQOfLF.png

Up First Was The UEFA Nations League And A Semi-Final Against Portugal, And A Very Easy 4-1 Win. To Which We Were To Play Spain In The

Final And An Even Better 4-0 Win. I Know I Doesn't Count To The Total, But Another Trophy To The Collection. Results  Job History .

In The That Time A Job Came Up At Valencia Which I Applied For And Got (Contract)

Pug's Update Season 2029-30

W4Iwsip.png

With Valencia Having Finished 7th Last Season And A Transfer Budget Of 50 Million, I Went About And Strengthened My Squad. To My Surprise 

We Won Our First 7 Games Until A Defeat By Barcelona. Over All We Lost Three Games, All To The Big 3 And Drew 1. Results 1  Results 2 .

In The Copa De Rey I Progressed To The Final, With Out Getting Any Of The Big 3. So In The Final We Got To Play Atletico And A Comfortable 

4-1. Results . So With All The Trophies I Needed It Was Time To Move On. On A Side Note I Became Top Manager In The . Hall Of Fame .

EQQOfLF.png

So With England In The World Cup, I Was Just Looking To Survive Not Getting The Sack. The FA Wanted A Quarter- Final.

With A Group Of Denmark Congo And Japan And 3 Wins And 3 Clean Sheets, I Was Optimistic Of My Overall Chance Of Winning.

Up Next And A Surprise Team Off Togo, So I Played My 2nd Team And A Very Good 7-0 Win. In The Quarter-Final With Portugal And A

Very Good 6-2 Win. Up Next Was A Semi-final With Italy And A Hard Game, Which Till The 80th Minute Looked Like It Was Going To Extra-Time.

But 2 Goals In The Last 10 Minutes Put Us Into The Final. Next Was Brazil And Not Many Of My Old Team Was Left. In What Was A Exceptional

Good World Cup For Use And A Very Good 4-0 Win. World Cup Results .

CLUB CAREER
                                                                -----------

Season    Club                Leagues        Cups                                     Others & Notes
                               1st  2nd       1st  2nd    Cont    CWC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Took Over In 16th Finished 6th
2017/18    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Left After 20 Games
2017/18    Ulsan Hyundai       Won
2018/19    Ulsan Hyundai       Won            Won         Won     Won                  All 4 Trophys
2018/19    Gladbach
2019/20    Gladbach                           Won                                      Won DFB And Euro League
2020/21    Gladbach            Won            Won         Won
2020/21    Fluminense                                     Won                          Took Over In 14th Finished 8th
2021/22    Fluminense          Won            Won
2022/23    Tigres              Won                        Won
2023/24    Liverpool           Won            Won  Won
2024/25    PSG                                Won  Won
2025/26    PSG                 Won
2026/27    Fiorentina          Won            Won
2027/28    Kaizer Chiefs       Won            Won         Won     Won
2028/29    Go Ahead
2029/30    Valencia            Won            Won
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                           --------------------

Season Nation    Cups                                                                     Others & Notes
                  World Cup   Confed Cup   Euro's   AFC   ACON   Gold Cup   Copa America

2018/19 Nigeria                                           Won
2019/21 USA                                                      Won
2023/24 China
2023/24 S Korea
2023/24 Brazil                Won
2025/26 Brazil    Won
2026/27 Brazil                                                              Won
2028/29 Australia
2029/30 England   Won
  Challenge Progress

Club

9/10  Top Domestic leagues (S/Korea-Germany-Brazil-Mexico-England-France-Italy-S Africa-Spain)
8/10  Top Domestic Cups (S/Korea-Germany-Brazil-England-France-Italy-S Africa-Spain)
5/5   Continentals Cups (Ulsan-Gladbach-Fluminense-Tigres-Kaizer Chiefs)
1/1   Club World Cup (Ulsan)

International

3/5   Continental Tournaments (Nigeria-USA-Brazil)
2/2   World Tournaments (Brazil-Brazil)

tId6vF4.png

Also Took Over At Glasgow Rangers.

2 hours ago, Watson156 said:

I do apologise!! I'm sure that you'll do well with City. I didn't intend on winning the Champions League in Australia as I was looking forward to winning it in China, but the additions that I made just made the team too good.

I find it quite interesting to see you managing in Melbourne as well. I swear on my save it is only the Melbourne sides that sack their managers.

To be fair seeing what you did and how you did it has formed my thinking in terms of winning it from here so I suppose I'll forgive! 

Funny you mention that about the Melbourne clubs as I'm coming to the end of my first full season and am pretty sure the only sacking so far has been at Victory. Gonna have to keep an eye on that.

2032 Copa Libertadores - San Lorenzo

san-lorenzo-logo.thumb.png.48a7541bf668d1aed04567ad2305c592.png.45be1444ce3df830ec92e13007d68262.png

The fact I'm doing a separate post for a mid-season tournament will probably tell you what has happened so I'll keep this short!

WE BLOODY WON IT!

I won't go through all the ins and outs but we did amazing but got lucky in the semis and final with who we played. We breezed through the last 16 beating Catolica 5-0 on aggregate, then came our toughest game, a quarter final versus Flamengo, after a 1-1 draw away in the first leg the second leg ended 0-0 which meant we scraped through on away goals! The semi final draw came out and there was one big thing I noticed - NO BRAZILIAN TEAMS! They had all been knocked out!!!

We had Velez in the semis and after a 3-0 win in the away leg we rested some players in the home leg but we still won that 2-1. Into the final!

Against Boca which sounded tough but we had done brilliantly against them in the league I knew we had a huge chance and so it proved to be, a home leg first up and we battered them, it ended 3-0 but it could've been a whole lot more. One more leg left and all we had to do was be tight and see it out. That kinda didn't happen as after 30 mins we were 2-0 down, they made it 3-0 on the hour mark, I had to go for it and it worked, we scored 2 goals late on to win the tie 5-3 on aggregate.

An amazing achievement but we were massively helped out by the Brazilian teams going out early. So now I am fully concentrating on Europa and International football. I STILL have no International job and there have been no offers. I'm thinking I will stick around at San Lorenzo and wait until a job comes up that takes my fancy. We have the Club World Championships coming up as well which I presume we will be in.

2022	Shanggang		1st		Chinese Super League, Chinese Cup and Asian Champions League Winners
31/32	San Lorenzo		1st		Argentina League and Cup Winners + Copa Sudamericana Winners
2032	San Lorenzo				Copa Libertadores Winners

International

Challenge Progress

Club

4/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2019, China - Shanggang 2022, Mexico - Cruz Azul 2024, Argentina - San Lorenzo 2031)

5/10 domestic cups (South Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2020, China - Shanggang 2022, Mexico - Cruz Azul 2024, Scotland - Hibernian 2030, Argentina - San Lorenzo 2031)

4/5 club continental championships (Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2021, Asian - Shanggang 2022, North America - Monterray 2027, San Lorenzo - Argentina 2032)

International

0/2 world tournaments ()

Season 2021/22 Review

Melbourne.png.5a1b8b0459cfc389faf37c49906393cb.pngFlag_of_Egypt.png.9b1db744c9d2be5f6850172f163565af.png

Starting off with the club side, first full season in Australia and after a not as busy as I thought I'd be transfer window we only really brought in 2 players that would have a big impact on the season. The young keeper Paric was brought in mainly as we suffered keeper injuries in pre season and ended up being our first choice, Callum Gribbin was signed as a DP on a free after his release from Man Utd and become a start. 29 games, 13 goals and 10 assists as we walked the league. Won it with 4 games to spare so in the final 4 games I played the kids to see if any might make the step up for this season, we lost 3 of the 4 so probably not. We'd have won the league by more than 10 points if we hadn't played them. After the regular season it was time for the finals (wasn't sure what one was needed for the challenge so wanted both to make sure) in the semi we played Western Sydney Wanders and had a comfortable 2-0 win. The final was against Adelaide United who beat last season's winners Perth City in the other Semi. Another comfortable win, 3-0 this time, secured us the Grand Finals win as well.

In the Cup we started well by beating Brisbane Roar but lost in the next round to Newcastle Jets. That's the target (along with Champions League progression) for this season.

World Cup 2022

We were handed a group of Uruguay, Japan and Croatia. Felt we would beat Japan, lose to Uruguay so would come down to the Croatia game to see who would go through.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Japan 1-3 Egypt (Samir, Hassan x2) a couple early goals saw us lead 2-0 at the break, Japan pulled one back with 30 to go but a late goal from Hassan was enough to secure 3 points
Egypt 3-2 Uruguay (Trezeguet, Salah, Shawky) a real rollercoaster of a game, we took the lead after 23 mins, a dodgy penalty (wouldn't be the last) for them after 35 mins hit the post but hit out keeper to go in, straight from KO Salah on a mazy run finishes for a 2-1 lead at HT, 2nd half they come at us and make it 2-2 with a shot from range, they're all over us now, some subs made and one of them, Shawky, scrambles in a goal with 15 to go. We hang on for the win against the team ranked 3rd in the world.
Egypt 2-2 Croatia (Trezeguet, Hassan) a point was all that was needed to secure top spot, early goal from midfielder Trezeguet had us on our way but our leaky defence cost us again as 2 goals before half time put them in front, mid way through 2nd half we get a dodgy looking penalty and it's 2-2. No more goals and we want he group to face Columbia....

2nd Round (If applicable)

Spoiler

Egypt 0-2 Columbia We just didn't turn up. Were beat but yet another dodgy looking penalty and then a goal right after half time. We exceeded expectations though and I'm targeting the ACON in 2023.

Quater Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Career Progress

Season		Team		League		Position	Achievements
2016/17		Amazulu 	ND1		1st		Promotion
2017/18		Amazulu 	Prem		5th		Cup Win
2018/19		Amazulu 	Prem		1st 		League win, MTN8 cup winners, Nedbank Cup winners
2019/20		Amazuku 	Prem		1st		League, MTN8 Cup, Telkom cup, CAF Confed Cup, CAF Super Cup
2020/21		Amazulu 	Prem		1st		Champions League win, Super cup
2020/21		Melbourne City  Prem		9th		Took over in 9th 
2021/22		Melbourne City  Prem		1st 		League winners 

International 

Season		Country		Achievements
2020/21		Egypt			
2021/22		Egypt		World Cup 2nd round

Challenge Progress

Club
2/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa, Amazulu 2018/19) (Australia, Melbourne City 2021/22)
1/5 continental cups (African Champions League, Amazulu 2020)
0/1 world club cup

International 
0/2 world tournaments 

Edited by darren1983

I was planning at staying at Cardiff and try build something but then Barcelona come calling and I couldn't say no to them, so I am now manager of Barcelona, need a bit of rebuilding but they are in 2nd round of Champions League so you never know, I might be able to tick that off the challenge.

I finally won the UEFA Champions League with Barcelona, my next aims is to win the BBVA with Barcelona then go find a top English Premier team to win the Prem with.

Champions League.png

Challenge Progress 
Club 
7/10 top domestic leagues - Northern Ireland, Holland, Germany, Italy, France, China, Brazil
3/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League, Copa Libertarodes, UEFA Champions League
International 

255px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png

South Africa ACON 2051 Report

Time for my 7th attempt at the ACON. I have a great team available to me including many of my old Sundowns players so I was pretty optimistic going into the competition. Our sole pre-tournament friendly was a ridiculous 10-0 destruction of Zambia. We've drawn a group with Senegal, Guinea and Guinea-Bissau. Here's how we went:

Group Stage

Spoiler

South Africa 5-1 Guinea-Bissau (goals from Sihlangu x3, Sithole, Mokoena) A great start and a great performance. Sihlangu is already stepping up.

South Africa 3-0 Guinea (goals from Mhlongo, Dladla, Nke) Another very solid performance. We've already qualified for the quarter finals.

South Africa 2-0 Senegal (goals from Sihlangu, Nke) A bit of rotation but still a very convincing win. This team is looking like serious contenders. Now on to Cameroon in the quarter finals

Quarter finals (if applicable)

Spoiler

South Africa 4-0 Cameroon (goals from Dladla x2, Sihlangu, O.G.) Our best performance so far as we dismantled Cameroon. Now on to Algeria in the semi final.

Semi finals (if applicable)

Spoiler

South Africa 3-1 Algeria (goals from Sihlangu, Mokoena x2) The toughest game we've had so far as we went ahead early but were then pegged back by a very dodgy penalty. We stayed calm however and scored 2 in the second half to send us into the final where we will face Morocco.

3rd place playoff (if applicable)

Spoiler

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

South Africa 3-3 Morocco (5-6 on penalties) (goals from Sihlangu x2, Sithole) I thought I could never be more devastated with an ACON defeat than my previous two runners-up performances but I was wrong. This is more devastating because we played incredibly well and gave everything to win that elusive trophy but it still slipped away. We went ahead first then were pegged back within a few minutes with a crazy free-kick. We then went behind but seized on a bad back pass to make it 2-2 and send it to extra time. We scored one minute into extra time with a fantastic finish by Sihlangu and I sent everyone into full defensive mode which of course meant they walked right in for an equaliser within 6 minutes. We did not have most of our best penalty takers on the field but we still scored 5 of the first 6, hitting the crossbar on the other, then our centre back (with penalty taking of 6) had one saved and they scored theirs. 

Aftermath

Spoiler

This is getting truly ridiculous after 7 failed attempts to win the same competition. I've now finished runner-up three times and it is not enjoyable. I'm going to stay with South Africa this time rather than changing teams as I really believe in this team and they played fantastically despite losing out. Sihlangu scored 8 goals in the 6 games in a team that didn't end up winning. We topped the charts for assists, average rating and many other stats. Hopefully in two years we can go one better. I may take a bit of a break from FM for a while as consistently losing the ACON is not exactly fun, but i'll update when I get back to it. I can only imagine that if i'd won the ACON on the first try like my brief first attempt at the challenge, it could have taken a decade or more of seasons off the challenge. Oh well, we will be back in two years to give it another try.

@Fadedaf Wow, ain't that a kick in the nuts, or I should say another kick in the nuts. I'm about to have my first ACON of the save, and your post has reminded me of the bad experiences I've had there. I'm dreading it to be honest. Nothing kills you as painfully as hope. But no experiences to compare to yours obviously. Still, you can probably pretty much holiday and instant result your way to the next tournament. It really won't take long. I mean it might take about 6-8 more seasons to finish the thing, but you can just leave your game running on holiday while you go out on the roof and scream. I hope your counselling goes well and you are able to share in the joy of those of us who (hopefully) do win the thing.

@Ronaldo BeckhamIt looks like you might spend the end of your challenge going from country to country saying, 'screw the league, we need to win the cup'.

@darren1983 Hopefully you weren't sacked by Egypt. Your first ACON next year then. I presume you took over after the last one.

@Cheekybananafm Well done on the Lib. Always good to see a non-Brazilian side winning the thing, especially if like me you would ideally like to avoid the hundreds of matches long Brazilian seasons.

@pug 407 Well done on your manifold success. Nice position to be in where you can choose your leagues. Good luck in Scotland.

Vikeologist's Universidad de Chile (and Ghana) 2020 Report 

We went a whole page without an update from me, (pretty much 2 actually). Been a while since that happened. This thread is back, baby!

In my first season, (not counting the dog end of last season) we pulled off a league / cup double. I was worried that quitting Dalian a year ago, instead of staying to try to win the Champions League, was a mistake, but I guess my gamble has kind of paid off.

I wrote above that the league race was tight, and at that time (with 5 matches to go) it was and had been all season with ourselves, Colo Colo and Catolica many hundreds of miles better than anybody else. We won our last 7 matches of the season though, (and we’re on a 21 match unbeaten spell) and ended up winning the league by 10 points. The Cup final was terrifying as we seemed to play our worst match for months against the only Chilean team (apart from Colo Colo and Catolica) to beat us this season, but we still beat our mid-table opponents 2-0.

We were knocked out of the Sudamericana early on, fairly comprehensively by a Brazilian side.

I’d like to see how we’d do next season in the Libertadores, but I still have an eye on a quick completion of the challenge. I applied unsuccessfully for a couple of Brazilian sides during the season, but that was before my rep benefitted from the double and gaining the top qualification.

That will be dependent on how I do internationally rather than domestically, so the key event coming up is how Ghana will do in the imminent ACON. If I do manage to win that (unlikely though that is), the sensible thing would be to move on to a top Brazilian side at the first opportunity. However Boca have just won the Libertadores, so let’s hope that doesn’t cause the Libertadores to stop working. The Lib is my top priority, as I’m paranoid about the bug, although I accept it’s mostly fixed for 17.3 which I’ve started on.

Top Goalscorer –  Felipe Mora – 24 A decent tally, but I expected more given that Felipe actually scored more last season, when the club was fairly rubbish. His goals pretty much dried up in the middle of the season, so I don’t really trust him to bang them in consistently. At the very least, I need to sign a better striker to play alongside him.

Best Average Rating  Romario 7.54. An absolute giant of a Brazilian central midfielder. You’ve got to bear in mind that this is Chile. At 195 cm tall he towers over all the other players like a giraffe on amphetamines.

Man of Match – Felipe Mora – 6.

MVP – I’m going to say Romario corresponded with the team going from great to omnipotent. We’ve only lost 1 match he’s played in, and he was our best player in that. Plus he’s a huge bugger, so I’m not going to do anything that might displease him.

Domestic
Season	Team					Position	Notes										Challenge Landmarks
2016	Dalian Yifang				7th		Took over for last 2 matches of the season
2017	Dalian Yifang				2nd		Promted to Chinese Super League
2018	Dalian Yifang				5th		Won FA Cup and therefore qualification to CL group stage. 			1st domestic cup
2019	Dalian Yifang				1st		Left with 3 matches left and the league already won.				1st domestic league
2019	U de Chile						Took over with 4 matches of season left, in 5th place and in Cup Q/F 
2020	U de Chile				1st		League / Cup Double								2nd domestic league and cup

International
Year	Team					Achievements
2018	China U23				Asian Games
2019=20	Ghana	

Challenge Progress

Club
 2/10 top domestic leagues 			(China, Chile)
 2/10 domestic cups 				(China, Chile)			
 0/5 club continental championships 	

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

2032 Club World Championship - San Lorenzo

I'm back already! The CWC has been and gone and it went pretty well but did we win it?

It started and I noticed we had been given byes all the way through until the semi finals where we met North American Champs, Mexican side Pumas. we played brilliantly and won 2-0.

Then came the big, the major test....Liverpool! The game was just chaos, we went 2-0 down, but then clawed it back to 2-2 by half time. The game finished 3-3 and we headed into extra time. Then came the winning goal, 116 minutes on the clock and midfield Barrera smashed it home from 12 yards out. The final whistle went and we had done it! Club World Cup Champs!!!

And my time in Argentina is over, it's now time to leave and wait for a big European job to come and hopefully a bloody International job!!!

2032	San Lorenzo				Copa Libertadores Winners and Club World Champs

International

Challenge Progress

Club

4/5 club continental championships (Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2021, Asian - Shanggang 2022, North America - Monterray 2027, San Lorenzo - Argentina 2032)

1/1 club world championship - San Lorenzo 2032

International

0/2 world tournaments ()

After my San Lorenzo CWC win my rep is now up at 85% which means big clubs want me! So it hasn't taken long for a club to come in for me, and it's a big one!!!

Image result

Juventus have come calling. Currently 7th in Serie A, after winning 17 straight league title they haven't won the title for 4 seasons. We have a good squad so should win the title next season (I hope!!!!)

@vikeologistthankfully wasn't sacked by Egypt as my expectations were just to compete so winning the group was an overachievement. Last manager lost his job after the last AFCON yeah.

@Cheekybananafm Good luck at Juve. How do you check your reputation %? Mine has stars and just "good" "decent" etc when I hover over them. 

Hey guys :)

I'm back to this. I believe I started it last year? and made some good progress. I won't be getting the next version of FM until Christmas likely, so it gives me some time to see how far I can get.

My Profile

Leagues loaded; South Africa, China, South Korea and Australia. Looking to start in South Africa and then move onto Asia, will then add/remove whatever leagues as I progress through the years.

Obviously currently unemployed - will wait to see what jobs pop up.

Will post once I have a job :thup:

12 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

@vikeologistthankfully wasn't sacked by Egypt as my expectations were just to compete so winning the group was an overachievement. Last manager lost his job after the last AFCON yeah.

@Cheekybananafm Good luck at Juve. How do you check your reputation %? Mine has stars and just "good" "decent" etc when I hover over them. 

On "My Profile" If you hover over the blue bar on "Reputation" it gives you a %

59837f895515b_FMMcFMFace_MyProfileProfile.thumb.png.4f556ac1756e28d33537c570d185abec.png