The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

image.png.fdc79cbcff90b87fda12bf92315b36dc.png

Season 9 (Continued) - 2028 Brazil Serie A

Sacked - I took my new club over in August and the team looked pretty good. They were struggling in 18th and into the Copa Sudamerica Quarter Finals. I though I would be able to come in move them out of the relegation zone and then build on it next year. It was very optimistic and in truth it did not happen. We somehow managed to win the Sudamerica with a win over Santos in the final. In the League we could not buy a win and really struggled. Eventually the club were relegated and I was sacked. 

Season      Team                 League       Nation     Finish     Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019       GD Southern Tigers    League One     CHN        6th 
2020       GD Southern Tigers    League One     CHN        6th
2021       GD Southern Tigers    League One     CHN        2nd      Promoted
2022       GD Southern Tigers    Super League   CHN        3rd      Champions League Qualification
2023       GD Southern Tigers    Super League   CHN        11th     Left With Four Games Remaining. 
2024       Beijing Guoan         Super League   CHN        1st      League and Cup Double
2025       Beijing Guoan         Super League   CHN        1st      League, Cup, CL
2025/26    Maritzburg United     Premier League RSA        6th      Took over in 14th in December
2026/27    Maritzburg United     Premier League RSA        1st      League Champions
2027/28    Maritzburg United     Premier League RSA        1st      League and Cup Double, Champions League
2028       Vitoria               Serie A        BRA        18th     Took over with club 18th in August, Won Copa Sudamerica, Sacked

Season      Nation               Notes
2021        Guinea           Qualified for World Cup
2022        Guinea           World Cup 1/4 Final
2023        Guinea           ACN Champions

Challenge Progress 7/32

Club
 2/10 top domestic leagues (CHN with Beijin, RSA with Martizburg United)				
 2/10 domestic cups (CHN with Beijing, RSA with Martizburg Utd)							
 2/5 club continental championships	 (Asian CL with Beijing, African CL with Maritzburg Utd)	
 0/1 club world championship

International
 1/5 continental tournaments (ACN with Guinea)		
 0/1 World Cup		

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

image.png.1423cb3af48548ded01421990cc6c513.png

Season 10 -  2028/29 Mexican First Division

Competitions - So after a really poor time in Brazil I moved slightly north to Mexico. I took over the club after their manager had left for Club America. The club had just been runners up in the Opening Stage and were still in the cup so it was a good choice. In the cup things went very well as all the big teams seemed to fall away. We went to the final and lost the first leg before winning the second, that gave me another cup win. In the league we just could not seem to get a run together, we just did not manage to do very well. In the quarter finals we lost the first leg and then won the second but went out due to being the lower seed. 

Stars of Season

Claudio Bravo - The only player in Vitoria who had any credit. I brought him in as I felt he would do well for me on the left hand side

Luis Puente - Superb striker who scored a lot of goals for the club

Jordan Carillo - Doesn't score enough but for me had been very creative

Next Season

I have agreed for a few players to come in and help us out. I am not sure what if any continental tournament we will be in, I have not played in Mexico before so it should be fun. I am very aware that we do need some help as the team is a little way behind the others in the league. 

2022       GD Southern Tigers    Super League   CHN        3rd      Champions League Qualification
2023       GD Southern Tigers    Super League   CHN        11th     Left With Four Games Remaining. 
2024       Beijing Guoan         Super League   CHN        1st      League and Cup Double
2025       Beijing Guoan         Super League   CHN        1st      League, Cup, CL
2025/26    Maritzburg United     Premier League RSA        6th      Took over in 14th in December
2026/27    Maritzburg United     Premier League RSA        1st      League Champions
2027/28    Maritzburg United     Premier League RSA        1st      League and Cup Double, Champions League
2028       Vitoria               Serie A        BRA        18th     Took over with club 18th in August, Won Copa Sudamerica, Sacked
2028/29    Santos Laguna         First Division MEX        7th      Took over in Jan for Closing Stage, Won Mex Cup

Challenge Progress 8/32

Club
 2/10 top domestic leagues (CHN with Beijin, RSA with Martizburg United)				
 3/10 domestic cups (CHN with Beijing, RSA with Martizburg Utd, MEX with Santos Laguna)							
 2/5 club continental championships	 (Asian CL with Beijing, African CL with Maritzburg Utd)	

International
 0/1 World Cup		

@ashjm

In the Mexican cup, the big clubs didn't fall away. They weren't in the competition. Still counts though.

You might be in the Champions League because they finished runners up in the Opening Stage. It's the winners of the league plus the winners of the regular seasons, but obviously that might not be 4 different sides, so runners up come into play. Not sure whether that's closing stage or regular season runners up though.

Qualification from mexico is just a mystery until it happens. Some things are just beyond human understanding.

2 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@ashjm

In the Mexican cup, the big clubs didn't fall away. They weren't in the competition. Still counts though.

You might be in the Champions League because they finished runners up in the Opening Stage. It's the winners of the league plus the winners of the regular seasons, but obviously that might not be 4 different sides, so runners up come into play. Not sure whether that's closing stage or regular season runners up though.

Qualification from mexico is just a mystery until it happens. Some things are just beyond human understanding.

I did not know this pal

Cheers

image.png.1423cb3af48548ded01421990cc6c513.png

Season 11 -  2029/30 Mexican First Division

Competitions - I was a little busy in the off season as I spent £13 million on some quality players. The squad was already one of the best in Mexico and with that extra coming in makes us the best squad in Mexico. In the Opening Stage we finished 1st and got to the semi final but we lost on away goals in a disappointing game. In the Closing Stage we did really well but I had to rest some players in the latter stages due to the Champions League games and we finished 2nd. We got all our players back for the play offs and we smashed every team and won the league. In the Champions League we battered a team from Honduras before beating two American teams. In the final we played Club America who are awful we battered them and I wont my 3rd Champions League. 

Stars of Season

Franco Garcia - An amazing player who is unreal, he was maybe the best player this year

Luis Puente - Another superb season from one of the best Mexican players in Mexico

Alexis Oro - He scores in what seemed every single game this year, I signed him for £2.5mil

Next Season

I will be off now, I think it maybe time to go to Europe

2028/29    Santos Laguna         First Division MEX        7th      Took over in Jan for Closing Stage, Won Mex Cup
2029/30    Santos Laguna         First Division MEX        1st      Won Closing Stage, Won NACL

Challenge Progress 10/32

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues (CHN with Beijin, RSA with Martizburg United, MEX Santos Laguna)				
 3/10 domestic cups (CHN with Beijing, RSA with Martizburg Utd, MEX with Santos Laguna)							
 3/5 club continental championships	 (Asian CL with Beijing, African CL with Maritzburg Utd, NACL with Santos Laguna)	

International
 0/1 World Cup		

And just like that you're on the leader board. 

I usually have some thing I can't remember the phrase for invoking the image of this challenge being like a cult to mark people getting on to the LB, but I'm about to go to sleep and so tired, so, sorry.

Have a cute picture instead.

image.png.b31250dac7025cec1192ef6158f0fb01.png

Vikeologist's 2049 Ivory Coast ACON Report

See the source image

My first international tournament for 6 years. Over the course of quite a few Ultimate saves, I failed to win something like 8 ACONs in a row, although that is still not the record for all challengers.

Anyway, this is my first attempt this save. Hopefully I can do it first time. We seem to be roughly joint favourites with Morocco. We certainly shouldn’t have any problems in the group stage, but just to save my job I need to make it to the final, and that often boils down to luck.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Ivory Coast             3-0     Angola

Ivory Coast             5-4     Guinea

Ivory Coast             4-1     Central African Republic

Not as easy as I thought. We were actually 3-1 down at half time against Guinea, albeit with a rotated squad.

Morocco may be in the other half of the draw, but ever other top team is in ours. DR Congo next.

2nd Round (if applicable)

Spoiler

Ivory Coast             0-2     DR Congo    

We dominated the match in every single aspect other than goals. A lot time since I’ve been FMed like this.

Quarter Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

n/a

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

n/a

3rd Place Playoff / Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

n/a

After The Tournament

Spoiler

Obviously sacked.

Applied for the Nigeria and Ghana jobs, and was offered both, so opted for Ghana, even though they look in slight doubt of qualifying for the World Cup.

Sigh, winning the ACON first time around would have been really nice.

Still, at first glance Ghana does look like a more rounded squad.

Finally getting back into my save and I’m about halfway through my second season with Spurs.

Just had an all-time favourite moment in the save: my two first team goalkeepers came down with an injury and with a Carabao Cup QF vs Arsenal coming up I thought I’d spare my 17 year old U23 keeper the pressure and find an emergency loan. Got a pretty average keeper off Liverpool on loan just in time and started him. The game ended 1-1 and went to pens. We missed our 3rd pen but he pulled out back-to-back saves to send us through. I was going to terminate the loan immediately after but I think he’ll have to stay and play the SF and the Final, if we get there.

Vikeologist's 2048/9 Kaizer Chiefs (and Ghana) Report

Siphamandlandled

Image result for kaizer chiefs

We won everything again,

20201102191851_1.thumb.jpg.881b3331b0d662223de594efed1ae395.jpg

(well, not absolutely everything as I will reveal) we did win  the Champions League (which we weren’t in last season).Once we thrashed ES Tunis (CL Champions the last 4 seasons) in the semi, I thought the trophy was in the bag, especially as we were facing Sundowns in the final who finished mid table in South Africa.

Predictably we dominated the match, but my level of stress was off the charts as for 60 minutes we just couldn’t score. Even when we quickly went 2-0 up, they pegged a goal back straight away. Eventually we won 4-1 though.

I can now move on from Africa, but next up was the Club World Cup, luckily taking place this year.

In a group with Toronto and my old team Everton, progression was always somewhat unlikely.

In fact we did very well, earning 2 draws. Unfortunately Everton predictably beat Toronto, so we were out.

The frustrating thing is that it means our unbeaten streak continues. I set new FM20 Records Thread) records for wins in a row and unbeaten, which came to an end, and then set another pair of fresh new records. We have currently gone 50 matches without losing, but it’s not worth staying just to extend it. Frankly it’s not that amazing a record, but if I hadn’t lost that match in the middle because I needed to rotate my squad to keep them fresh I would be close to 100

I leave Kaizer Chiefs with a record of W115, D6, L3. Not bad.

20201102191915_1.thumb.jpg.4bb9b26b6cd0625692ee2481a90e2907.jpg

Top Goalscorer - Andile Mthembu / Bongi Mathebula – 37

I rotated 3 strikers, so none of them scored as many as they could have if they’d played every match.

Highest Average Rating (minimum 10 matches played) – Siphamandla Mlungwana – 7.98

An attacking midfielder.

Man of The Match – Andile Mthembu- 8

Most Valuable Player– Siphamandla Mlungwana

You may have noticed that I started doing little quips at the top of my report based on the names of my MVPs. Africa confounded me though. Oh, wait. I've got one. 

What’s next? Well, I applied for a job at FC Porto, but they didn’t even offer me an interview. Shows how bad my rep is.

I can go to any nation I like now. I need one more league, but 3 more cups. I’m going to have a lot of leagues added, and try to vike a couple of cups.

There’s no hurry. I want to manage in Europe to improve my reputation and help me get a good European national job, but I need to win the ACON first, and early signs suggest that might well happen in a couple of years with Ghana.

Domestic
Season	Team		Division		Position	MVP				Notes										
20/21	Folkestone	England VNL South	4th		Alfie Matthews 	(SC) 		Lost in playoff S/F
21/22	Folkestone	England VNL South	1st		Jobi McAnuff	(MR)		FA Cup R4, won league by a country mile.
22/23	Folkestone	England VNL Conference	1st		Dion Rankine	(MR)		FA Cup R4 again, back to back promotions to the Football League
23/24	Folkestone	England League 2	4th and lost in playoff final without me 	Left after 21 matches with Folkestone in 2nd and on course for 3rd promotion in a row.
23/24	Everton		Premier League		11th		Alexander Nübel	(GK)		Took over after 16 matches. Won Carabao Cup.
24/25	Everton		Premier League		7th		Christopher McKay (MR)		Won Carabao Cup (again) and Europa League, thus qualifying for Champions League.
25/26	Everton		Premier League		3rd		Christopher McKay (MR)		Carabao Cup Threepeat, Lost in CL Final.
26/27	Everton		Premier League		1st		Moise Kean (SC)			League / FA Cup Double.	
27/28	Everton		Premier League		2nd		Christopher McKay (MR)		Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup Treble	
28/29	Everton		Premier League		1st		Christopher McKay (MR)		League, FA Cup, Champions League, Club World Championship	
30/31	Dortmund	Bundesliga		2nd		Juan Manuel Jiménez (MR)	Won Europa League. Whoopy Do.
31/32	Dortmund	Bundesliga		1st		Aarón Fernández (SC)		League / Cup double
32/33	Valencia	Primera Liga		6th		Sergio Goñi (SC)		Took over after 16 matches. Qualified for Euro II.
33/34	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Carlos Gimeno (ML)		Won Euro Cup II
34/35	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Nathan (SC)			Once again, a distant second best to Real Madrid.
35/36	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Nathan (SC)			Spanish Cup and Champions League
36/37	Valencia	Primara Liga		1st		Nathan (SC)			League, Champions League
2037	Atl Mineiro	Brazilian 1st		1st		Leandro Mederos (MC)		Took over after 17 matches in 8th. Won league. CL S/F
2038	Atl Mineiro	Brazilian 1st		1st		Ley (DC)			League, Libertadores and the pursuit of happiness. Sorry, I mean the Brazilian Cup.
39/40	OM		French 1st		1st		Batata (SC)			League. Knocked out of Frech Cup on penalties. 
40/41	Juventus	Serie A			1st		Dustin Abeßer (SC)		League / Cup double.
2043	SIPG		Chinese SL		2nd		Anderson Omar (MC)		Took over after 13 matches. ACL S/F
2044	SIPG		Chinese SL		1st		Ninja (SC)			League, cup, Champions League triple, Unbeaten league season.
2045	America		Mexican Opening		13th						Took over after 14 matches in 17th place (of 20). Won all 5 remaining matches
2046	America		Mexican Closing		1st		Miguel Macías (MC)		League winners
2046	America		Mexican Opening		1st						League and Leagues Cup winners
2047	America		Mexican Closing		1st		Misael Hernández (SC)		League and NACL winners
46/47	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Premier	3rd						Took over in 3rd with 3 games to go. 
47/48	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Premier	1st		Tshidiso Zimu (ML/C)		League, Super 8, K/O Cup, SA Cup, Confederations Cup. Everything basically.
48/49	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Premier	1st		Siphamandla Mlungwana (AMC)	Won everything (apart from the CWC) again, this time including the Champions League.

International
Year	Team				Achievements
23	Indonesia U23			Topped U23 Asian Nations Cup Qualifying. Quit shortly afterwards.
24-26	Uruguay				World Cup S/F
26-28	France				Knocked out in Euros Q/F
28-32	Argentina			World Cup		Matías Gayoso (GK)
					Copa America		Matías Gayoso (GK)
32-34	Spain				European League		Ansu Fati (SC)
					Knocked out in '34 WC R3 by eventual winners Germany
34-36	France (Again)			Nations League		Manuel Jourdan (SC)
					Lost Euro '36 S/F to eventual winners Germany
36-39	Mexico				Lost in Gold Cup final.
					World Cup Quarterfinalists
					Won Gold Cup 		Juan Pablo Diaz (MC)
40-42	Holland				Nations League		Stefan van Roon (SC)
					World Cup 3rd Round
42-43	South Korea			Asian Cup		Wookie (ML)
46-47	Switzerland
47-49	Ivory Coast			Knocked out in ACON R2
49-	Ghana

Challenge Progress 26/32

Club
 9/10 top domestic leagues 		(England, Germany, Spain, Brazil, France, Italy, China, Mexico, South Africa)			
 7/10 domestic cups 			(England, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Italy, China, South Africa)						
 5/5 club continental championships	(Europe, S America, Asia, N America, Africa)	 	
 1/1 club world championship

International
 3/5 continental tournaments 		(S America, N America, Asia)		
 1/1 World Cup		

Vikeologist's 2050 Ghana World Cup Report

image.jpeg.8e4eb2dd50c8c07efa7c3b5ac3de3621.jpeg

Twenty years ago I won the World Cup with Argentina, but I haven’t had much luck the last 2 times with Holland and Spain.

Hopefully this time I won’t be sacked though. All I have to do is make it to the second round.

When I took over Ghana, I was confident that they were a ticket to winning the ACON, but there have been some stressful times since taking over.

Before my arrival they only had 4 points from their first 2 World Cup qualifiers, and we lost to rivals Egypt in our first match. This meant we had to win the remaining 3 matches, including the return against Egypt, just to qualify as one of the better 2nd place teams. We managed it, but it was far from comfortable.

Anyway, that’s all in the past now. It will be interesting to meet Switzerland in the group stage, a nation I quit because they turned out to be so much worse than their world ranking suggested they would be when I took the job out of desperation for a Euro nation role.

The worrying thing about Ghana is the lack of younger players, although there are plenty with dual nationality who won’t accept a call up.

20 of my 23 man squad is 30 or over, but hopefully I only need them to hold off the ravages of age for another 7 or so months until the next ACON.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Ghana          1-1               Ecuador

A match we should have won, but after we gave away a penalty, and then had a player issued a straight red, I was quite relieved to get an equaliser and a draw.

Ghana          3-0               Switzerland

Switzerland are every bit as useless as when I was in charge.

They saw off Ecuador, which ensured we topped the group, and our reward; another old team, Spain!

Oh well.

2nd Round (if applicable)

Spoiler

Ghana          1-2               Spain

We had the lead. The Spanish winner came right at the end of extra time.

A very good performance.

3rd Round (if applicable)

Spoiler

N/A

Quarter Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

N/A

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

N/A

3rd Place Playoff / Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

N/A

After The Tournament

Spoiler

After the tournament, one of my best players retired from international football, and there’s quite a drop-off to the next guy up, so I applied for Euro international jobs, of which there were many vacancies, and was offered Italy and Portugal.

I was also offered Switzerland, even though I didn’t apply to go back. From my above comments, you can surmise I didn’t consider that one.

I think there’s always going to be African nations to manage. Italy and Portugal are the only 2 big Euro nations left to me (since France, Holland and Spain clearly don’t want me back, at least for the moment). Winning the Euro is the big obstacle to me completing this challenge, so I might as well use up 50% of my chances now.

I chose Italy.

On 28/10/2020 at 16:18, ashjm said:

Challenge Progress 10/32

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues (CHN with Beijin, RSA with Martizburg United, MEX Santos Laguna)				
 3/5 club continental championships	 (Asian CL with Beijing, African CL with Maritzburg Utd, NACL with Santos Laguna)	

International
 0/1 World Cup		

I hope you didn't quit the challenge because of my half-arsed half asleep recognition of your getting on the leader board.

Is this thing on? (Can't remember if I've already done this season update so if I have apologies, it's been a while)

Scott Williams 2040

End of Season Review

Seoul.png.bed8f97761a5f3c53060bb6450ec5420.png

Start of a new decade brought new hopes for Scott, off the back of last season, losing out on goals for the main target was to invest heavily in the attack and outscore everything in front of us. This was made slightly easier when Brighton bought Seoul's South African winger for £20 million. A few other Europe also snapped up some of Seoul's defenders but Scott didn't care for them this season.  The two main Ins were Hernan Delgado back on loan from arsenal (scored 18 goals) and Aritz Jimenez from AC Milan for £3 million (scored 17 goals). In total £17 million was used to bolster the squad and so the results in the competition aren't all that surprising.

Spoiler

Comps.thumb.png.d087940305378c91974353c8adfe34f6.png

The first leg of the AFC was lost 1-0 and with 20 minutes left on the clock in the return leg that is how it remained. Fortunately one of the summer signings stepped up with two goals and an OG sealed the victory.

Season Progress

Spoiler

Club Career

Season	NAT	Club		Division	Pos	Cup 1	Cup 2	Cont	CWC	Things to Note					
2020	CHI	Nublense	Primera Div B	6th	R2	-	-	-	Playoff Winners, U19s Runners up in Div 1
2021	CHI	Curico Unido	Primera Div	7th	R2	-	R1	-
2022	CHI	Curico Unido	Primera Div	1st	Won	-	R1	-	Domestic Double, MOTY
2022/23	ARG	CA Union	Superliga	17th	R5	-	-	-	Avoided Relegation
2023/24	ARG	CA Union	Superliga	15th	R5	-	-	-	Avoided Relegation
2024/25	ARG	CA Union	Superliga						Resigned End of Phase 1
2025/26	RSA	Kaizer Chiefs	Asba Prem	2nd	RU	Won	-	-	KO Cup Winners RU in other Comps
2026/27	RSA	Kaizer Chiefs	Asba Prem	3rd	RU	R1	Won	-	Champions League Winners, MOTY
2027	KOR	Suwon		K League 1	7th		-	QF	-	Joined July in 5th, Sakced September 15th
2027/28	ARG	Velez		Superliga	2nd	-	-	-	-	Joined December in 8th
2028/29	ARG	Velez		Superliga	1st	Won	-	QF	-	Domestic Double
2029/30	ARG	Velez		Superliga	2nd	Won	-	Won	-	Copa Libertadores and Copa Argentina Winners, won both Supercups MOTY
2030/31	ENG	AFC Bournemouth	Premier League	9th	R3	R2	-	-	Somehow won Superliga manager of the year for 2030
2031/32 ITA	AC Milan	Serie A		6th	-	-	-	-	Joined with 7 games remaining U18s won the legaue and cup
2032/33	ITA	AC Milan	Serie A		2nd	R1	-	R3 UEL	-	
2033/34	ITA	AC Milan	Serie A		1st	Won	-	SF	-	Invincibles! Centurians! League + Cup double
2034/35	ENG	Chelsea		Premier League	1st	R5	QF	R1	-	League Winners, Super Cup Winners
2035/36 ENG	Chelsea		Premier League	2nd	R5	R3	R1	-	Nearly Got the Sack
2036/37	ENG	Chelsea		Premier League	1st	R4	QF	Won	RU	Second League Title and UCL
2037/38	ENG	Chelsea		Premier League	1st	Won	Won	Won	-	First Quadruple
2039	KOR	Seoul		K League 1	2nd	Won	-	-	-	Lost the League on GS
2040	KOR	Seoul		K League 1	1st	QF	-	Won	-	League and ACL Double!

Scott Williams 2041/42

End of Season Report

406712095_RSBage.png.ce808e121ae37791a8aaa56f337d3546.png

With Scott's task complete in Asia it was time to make a return to European football. Out of a job for nine months Scott was eager to take the first club from France, Germany or Spain who were in the top half that came knocking. This ended him up at Real Sociedad. Had he waited until the end of the season then a whole host of positions would have become available including, Real, Barca, PSG, Lyon and Bayern.

Nevertheless their was no use contemplating what could have been. Scott had a strong run in at the end of last season winning 7/10 league games and securing UEL football for this season.

In this season Scott continued that form moving as high as 3rd in the league. A small dip in form around the new year saw other teams close the gap between Sociedad and the UCL chasing pack. The chase went down to the final day of the season where Scott's men were able to see of a struggling Eibar side whilst Sevilla fell to Atletico Madrid. This means Scott will be back managing UCL football. It is a bit of a shame as they would have a good shot at winning the UEL next season, maybe he'll have to tactically finish 3rd in the group.

In the UEL Sociedad topped a group containing Zagreb. Stjarnan and Cagliari but then lost to Liverpool in the second round.

Spoiler

Comps.thumb.png.65eee44726819acf3479a44a7b74e169.png

21 points is going to be a tough gap to close and as much as I'm sure Scott would like to avoid managing Barca or either or the Madrid clubs it may be the only option.

Not normally one to look for Challenges but this one has really intrigued me. About 10 years in now.

Started at Torns IF and really enjoyed that save, signing mainly Brazilians ad other obscure players on free transfers that really shone in Swedish football.

Then came China where I basically took over a team with lots of money, so spent the money and not surprisingly won a lot.

Then off to Mexico where I joined another good club in Chivas and also took on the Mexican national team. Mexico really has some good players and also most are available for decent money,

After Chivas I then joined Maritzburg United - more of an opportunity to take there and then as they had a very strong side at that point, being runners up in the league so really did not have to change a lot to win there.

Quickly moved on to Gremio, again a very good squad that really did not need a lot of tweaking to make it successful.

Finally it was time to come back to Europe and I took on the Fiorentina job. After 6 months of separating the wheat from the chaff, managed to sell a couple of players to bring in some much needed cash and really reinforce the squad.

After Fiorentina, onto Monaco where they had the basis of a good squad and a lot of money. Added some world class talent and ended PSG's dominance.

Now at Sevilla, a team that finished 7th last season. Like Fiorentina, I have had to part with a couple of high profile players to bring in subsequent funds to reinforce but they have some decent attacking players so hopefully it is just a case of sorting out the defence. 

Club Career

Year		Team (Country) 		Position  	Notes and Achievements
2019		Torns IF (SWE)		2nd		Promotion to Suprettan (Play-Off)
2020		Torns IF (SWE)		2nd		Promotion to Allsvenskan (Automatic)
2021		Torns IF (SWE)		2nd		Svenska Cupen Winners 
2022		Torns IF (SWE)		1st		Allsvenskan Winners / Svenska Cupen Winners
2023		Shanghai SIPG (CHI)	1st		Chinese Super League / Chinese FA Cup / AFC Champions League
2023/2024	Chivas (MEX)		1st		Liga MX Clausura Winners
2024/2025	Chivas (MEX)		1st & 1st	Campeon de Campeones Winners / Campeones Cup Winners / Liga MX Apertura Winners / CONCACAF Champions League Winners / Liga MX Clausura Winners
2025/2026	Maritzburg Utd (RSA)	1st		Telkom Knockout Cup Winners / African Champions League Winners / ABSA Premiership Winners
2026		Gremio	(BRA)		1st		Copa Libertadores Winners / Brasileiro Assai Serie A Winners	
2026/2027	Fiorentina (ITA)	6th		- 
2027/2028	Fiorentina (ITA)	1st		Serie A Winners / Coppa Italia Winners / Europa Conference League Winners
2028/2029	AS Monaco (FRA)		1st		Ligue 1 / Coupe de France Winners
2029/2030	Sevilla (ESP)											

International Career

Year		Country		Notes &  Achievements
2024-2026	Mexico		Won CONCACAF Gold Cup (2025) / Won World Cup (2026)
2026-2027	Australia	Won Asian Cup Of Nations (2027)
2028-		England		UEFA Nations League (2029)

The Rules:

The 32 Competitions you must win to win the challenge

6 International Tournaments

- UEFA Euros (Europe)
- AFC (Asian Cup Of Nations)			- Won 2027 (Australia)
- Copa America (South America)
- Gold Cup (North America)			- Won 2025 (Mexico)
- ACON (African Cup Of Nations)
- FIFA World Cup				- Won 2026 (Mexico)

10 Leagues
THE BIG FIVE 
- La Liga (Spain)
- Premier League (England)
- Bundesliga (Germany)
- Ligue 1 (France)				- Won 2029 (AS Monaco)
- Serie A (Italy)				- Won 2028 (Fiorentina)

AND 5 OTHER TOP LEAGUES 
- Allsvenskan (Sweden) 				- Won 2022 (Torns IF)
- Chinese Super League (China) 			- Won 2023 (Shanghai SIPG)
- Liga MX Apertura & Clausura (Mexico) 		- Won 2023/2024 & 2024/2025 (Chivas)
- ABSA Premiership (South Africa)		- Won 2025/2026 (Maritzburg United)
- Brasileiro Assai Serie A			- Won 2026 (Gremio)

5 Champions Leagues

- Champions League (Europe)
- Champions League (Asia) 			- Won 2023 (Shanghai SIPG)
- Copa Libertadores (South America)		- Won 2026 (Gremio)
- NACL (North American Champions League)	- Won 2025 (Chivas)
- ACL (Africa Champions League)			- Won 2026 (Maritzburg United)

FIFA Club World Cup

10 Others (Domestic Cups from 10 separate nations)

- Svenska Cupen 				- Won 2021 & 2022 (Torns IF)
- Chinese FA Cup				- Won 2023 (Shanghai SIPG)
- Telkom Knockout Cup Winners	- Won 2026 (Maritzburg United)
- Coppa Italia					- Won 2028 (Fiorentina)
- Coupe de France				- Won 2029 (AS Monaco)
-
-
-
-
-

------------------------------------------------------------

Vikeologist's 2050/1 Slovan Bratislava and Italy World Cup Report

image.jpeg.764e7b233fc435ebe1bb53bd6ac4874c.jpegImage result for Italy Soccer Logo

I was without a club job for almost 2 whole years. I wanted a top club. I wanted to still be in at least 1 domestic cup. Basically I wanted a job at a club that had no earthly reason to have sacked their manager.

Finally a job at Slovakia’s top club, Slovan Bratislava came up near the end of the season. With 8 matches left, I only improved our league position by one place from 6th to 5th, but we won the Euro II playoff, so at least we’ll have European football next season.

Hopefully it will only take me a year to win the league and cup. I’ll be staying until I get the cup, as I need 3 of those as opposed to just 1 more league title.

I won the Nations League for the third time, with my third different nation; Italy. To be honest, it pisses me off a bit. I just want 1 Euro, and I’m running out of nations to do it with. My matches with France, Spain and Germany along the way were all close run affairs, so it’s not like I can be super confident for next year.

MVP - Gianfranco Tammaro – 7 goals in 8 Nations League matches.

Domestic
Season	Team		Division		Position	MVP				Notes										
20/21	Folkestone	England VNL South	4th		Alfie Matthews 	(SC) 		Lost in playoff S/F
21/22	Folkestone	England VNL South	1st		Jobi McAnuff	(MR)		FA Cup R4, won league by a country mile.
22/23	Folkestone	England VNL Conference	1st		Dion Rankine	(MR)		FA Cup R4 again, back to back promotions to the Football League
23/24	Folkestone	England League 2	4th and lost in playoff final without me 	Left after 21 matches with Folkestone in 2nd and on course for 3rd promotion in a row.
23/24	Everton		Premier League		11th		Alexander Nübel	(GK)		Took over after 16 matches. Won Carabao Cup.
24/25	Everton		Premier League		7th		Christopher McKay (MR)		Won Carabao Cup (again) and Europa League, thus qualifying for Champions League.
25/26	Everton		Premier League		3rd		Christopher McKay (MR)		Carabao Cup Threepeat, Lost in CL Final.
26/27	Everton		Premier League		1st		Moise Kean (SC)			League / FA Cup Double.	
27/28	Everton		Premier League		2nd		Christopher McKay (MR)		Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup Treble	
28/29	Everton		Premier League		1st		Christopher McKay (MR)		League, FA Cup, Champions League, Club World Championship	
30/31	Dortmund	Bundesliga		2nd		Juan Manuel Jiménez (MR)	Won Europa League. Whoopy Do.
31/32	Dortmund	Bundesliga		1st		Aarón Fernández (SC)		League / Cup double
32/33	Valencia	Primera Liga		6th		Sergio Goñi (SC)		Took over after 16 matches. Qualified for Euro II.
33/34	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Carlos Gimeno (ML)		Won Euro Cup II
34/35	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Nathan (SC)			Once again, a distant second best to Real Madrid.
35/36	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Nathan (SC)			Spanish Cup and Champions League
36/37	Valencia	Primara Liga		1st		Nathan (SC)			League, Champions League
2037	Atl Mineiro	Brazilian 1st		1st		Leandro Mederos (MC)		Took over after 17 matches in 8th. Won league. CL S/F
2038	Atl Mineiro	Brazilian 1st		1st		Ley (DC)			League, Libertadores and the pursuit of happiness. Sorry, I mean the Brazilian Cup.
39/40	OM		French 1st		1st		Batata (SC)			League. Knocked out of Frech Cup on penalties. 
40/41	Juventus	Serie A			1st		Dustin Abeßer (SC)		League / Cup double.
2043	SIPG		Chinese SL		2nd		Anderson Omar (MC)		Took over after 13 matches. ACL S/F
2044	SIPG		Chinese SL		1st		Ninja (SC)			League, cup, Champions League triple, Unbeaten league season.
2045	America		Mexican Opening		13th						Took over after 14 matches in 17th place (of 20). Won all 5 remaining matches
2046	America		Mexican Closing		1st		Miguel Macías (MC)		League winners
2046	America		Mexican Opening		1st						League and Leagues Cup winners
2047	America		Mexican Closing		1st		Misael Hernández (SC)		League and NACL winners
46/47	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Premier	3rd						Took over in 3rd with 3 games to go. 
47/48	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Premier	1st		Tshidiso Zimu (ML/C)		League, Super 8, K/O Cup, SA Cup, Confederations Cup. Everything basically.
48/49	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Premier	1st		Siphamandla Mlungwana (AMC)	Won everything (apart from the CWC) again, this time including the Champions League.
50/51	Slovan 		Slovak 1st		5th						Took over with 8 matches remaining in 6th. Won the Euro League II Playoff.

International
Year	Team				Achievements
23	Indonesia U23			Topped U23 Asian Nations Cup Qualifying. Quit shortly afterwards.
24-26	Uruguay				World Cup S/F
26-28	France				Knocked out in Euros Q/F
28-32	Argentina			World Cup		Matías Gayoso (GK)
					Copa America		Matías Gayoso (GK)
32-34	Spain				European League		Ansu Fati (SC)
					Knocked out in '34 WC R3 by eventual winners Germany
34-36	France (Again)			Nations League		Manuel Jourdan (SC)
					Lost Euro '36 S/F to eventual winners Germany
36-39	Mexico				Lost in Gold Cup final.
					World Cup Quarterfinalists
					Won Gold Cup 		Juan Pablo Diaz (MC)
40-42	Holland				Nations League		Stefan van Roon (SC)
					World Cup 3rd Round
42-43	South Korea			Asian Cup		Wookie (ML)
46-47	Switzerland
47-49	Ivory Coast			Knocked out in ACON R2
49-50	Ghana				Knocked out in WC R2
50-	Italy				3rd Nations League	Gianfranco Tammaro (SC)

Challenge Progress 26/32

Club
 9/10 top domestic leagues 		(England, Germany, Spain, Brazil, France, Italy, China, Mexico, South Africa)			
 7/10 domestic cups 			(England, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Italy, China, South Africa)						
 5/5 club continental championships	(Europe, S America, Asia, N America, Africa)	 	
 1/1 club world championship

International
 3/5 continental tournaments 		(S America, N America, Asia)		
 1/1 World Cup	

image.jpeg

Edited by vikeologist

5 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@TubzinhoGreat progress. Hope you're enjoying it.

Which version are you playing? Are you going to continue with it once FM21 comes out?

i'm playing FM20 and am enjoying it. I may well do a new challenge on FM21 but may look to find a patch or something to add additional leagues for Africa (if there is such a thing) as the South Africa only element of the challenge is quite limiting.

Scott Williams

2042 World Cup

Iran.png.47edb9aee6f314fefaefb4b4932d46fd.png

Iran

Another continental competition comes and goes for Scott, 4 years ago he was knocked out by Ukraine whilst in charge of Brazil, this time his Iran side fell to another former team of his, Mexico. In a group of Germany and Zambia, Iran remained unbeaten coming away with a 0-0 draw vs the Germans. Unfortunately Iran conceded a penalty in the 85th minute vs Mexico to lose 1-0. Obviously Iran were never going to win it but it would have been nice to play more than 3 matches. Hopefully Scott can win the Asian Nations Cup this time around and actually have a proper shot at the 46' worlds.

Elsewhere in the summer window, Scott was approached by his favourite club Manchester United. Nuno Esperito Santo has retired from football leaving an unfamiliar face in charge for the time being. Think his name is Cristiano Ronaldo

1067309176_RonaldoAssMan.thumb.png.be3ede93d3bab151b18ce994b37f973e.png

United won the UCL and Club world cup a few seasons ago but the next one isn't for a while and so regrettably Scott did not attend the interview. Much to the delight of the Sociedad faithful.

I have been considering starting a new thread; i.e. The Ultimate Football Manager 21 Challenge.

There's no real reason to, other than the fact that nobody is going to read through 107 pages of this thread. Maybe it will encourage new people to start the challenge.

On the other hand, as far as I'm aware, there's nothing in the new version that affects this challenge, and it will be embarrassing if nobody is posting. (I will complete this challenge, but I'll probably play FM21 for a few days to see what it's like. I might start a challenge on FM21 to see if I can see any obvious bugs in the beta).

Frankly there are some fairly compelling reasons for not starting this challenge with the beta. The last couple of years have been really free of killer bugs. 

I'm interested in your opinions. Every other challenge starts a new thread every year, so maybe we should too. I've tidied up some of the out of date bits in the first few posts. I guess I should find a new picture for the thread, since the kids today probably don;t know who any of those footballers are.

So, if people want a new thread, I will start one before the full version of the game comes out. Obviously, that will be the thread for everybody doing the challenge, and people would stop posting on this thread.

What do people think?

Also, if anything has changed in the last few years to change any of the guidelines in the first few posts, let me know. I haven't managed in Australia  so I don't know if the Wellington Phoenix thing is different now.

Edited by vikeologist

13 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

On the other hand, as far as I'm aware, there's nothing in the new version that affects this challenge, and it will be embarrassing if nobody is posting

I'm thinking of giving this one a go with FM21. I need a break from youth only and fancy a really good journeyman career.

2 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

Does the existence or not of a new thread affect your enthusiasm?

not really, but I'd be posting in the new thread if there was one. 

107 pages is quite long, a new thread wouldn't harm any and it might encourage more new people to take it up and give it a go

I'm going to be giving this another go this FM - starting right now which is obviously going to come back and bite me if there's bugs from the beta but c'est la vie. Doesn't make that much difference to me if it's in this thread or another so I'll leave that up to the general opinion 

Regardless, here's my manager profile :D

d99df04b48d1748b97fb212a7842e9b7.png

16 hours ago, vikeologist said:

OK. I've started a new thread.

Would everybody post in the new thread from now on.

It's been emotional.

We posting in the new one whilst we finish our fm20 challenges?

Or only ones starting on FM21

Edited by bjwphneb

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2020 at 10:36, vikeologist said:

Of course the flip side is that if we don't win first time, we may never get another chance with Mexico. Some if not most nations don't give you another chance, so we might be stuck with one second chance with USA.

But I don't think anybody in the history of this challenge has ever lost a Gold Cup with Mexico.

So no pressure on us.

(This is BS by the way. mayihavecookie took 2 goes to win the Gold Cup with Mexico)

@vikeologist Not only did I not win the Gold Cup with Mexico, I got knocked out by Costa Rica on penalties in the quarter final. Potentially the worst performance anyone managing Mexico has ever achieved in a Gold Cup during this challenge?

• 4 weeks later...

Club Athletico Juventud Season 3 Review

image.thumb.png.e4b6755a8122cc3b6d8d064bde299784.png

image.thumb.png.3614772360362abcc4107c94f3455bba.png

I managed to win my first competition as manager by winning the Campeonato Uruguayo(Uruguay Top Division)

I wasn't expecting to do so well so soon. I haven't cheated either. I just picked a good tactic similar to how Sean Dyche has Burnley set up and it works well in South America.

Here is the tactic I use.

image.thumb.png.1979c334fd017ee4843bd391dce9cae9.png

My topscorer with 12 goals was Rodrigo De Olivera. 

image.thumb.png.33a7fffc0ad944f9257f6d5e4c42466d.png

My reputation is now 25% so I am off to apply for a bigger job in South America. San Lorenzo needs a manager so I have applied for their job.

image.thumb.png.dcbece721f0ee47dd1565e9e0a905592.png

Season         Team           Position  Notes and Achievements

20/21    Club Athletico Juventud        2nd                 Promoted to Campeonato Uruguayo

21/22    Club Athletico Juventud        4th                  Manager Of The Year

22/23   Club Athletico Juventud         1st                   Won The Campeonato Uruguayo

Challenge Progress

Club

1/10 top domestic leagues - Uruguay, 

0/10 domestic cups ()

0/5 club continental championships ()

International

0/5 continental tournaments ()

0/1 world tournaments ()

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

5 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

@vikeologist Where are my previous posts in the last page or 2. They have all disappeared. What has happened?

Nothing to do with me. 

Only the moderators can delete things, other than our own posts of course.

All 3 of you season updates are still here.

Edited by vikeologist

9 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Weird I wonder why the mods deleted it. Did someone post something for a FM fan website as they are cracking down on that for whatever reason.

I really think they're all there. What was in these missing posts? You have me curious now. I really don't remember any other posts. 

Oh, it's because you're posting on the wrong thread.

Everybody stop posting here.

See the source image

Edited by vikeologist

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Why have you moved lol.

You had me really confused. What posts did you think had moved.

Obviously we've had to ask the mods to delete some of the really pornographic posts from the thread. 

Disciplining the players obviously increases their determination and word rate, but I really don't think the modification  they were posting screenshots of was SI approved.

Edited by vikeologist

6 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

You had me really confused. What posts did you think had moved.

Obviously we've had to ask the mods to delete some of the really pornographic posts from the thread. 

Disciplining the players obviously increases their determination and word rate, but I really don't think the modification  they were posting screenshots of was SI approved.

I didn't realized there was pornagraphic posts. It only takes a few people to ruin it for others. I can see why the mods done what they done now. 

• 8 months later...
On 13/01/2020 at 15:39, Lewis89 said:

685108411_Escudo_del_Club_Len.png.72c1a6e748137569b5136abd48911164.png

Season 11 2029 - Club Leon

Competitions

Liga Bancomer MX Opening Stage - League Table    Results

Our first full season started with a win and I hoped we could continue where we left off the season before. Instead I got a real inconsistent side who just could not defend. At times we played teams off the park and still lost. In the end I had to beg for my job after finishing in 12th place. The board set me a target of 10 points from the opening 5 league games of the Closing Stage otherwise I was going to be sacked for the first time. 

Liga Bancomer MX Closing Stage - League Table    Results 1    Results 2

After our points ultimatum and poor showing in the Opening Stage i decided that we needed to change our formation, and switched to a 424 to utilise our strongest players, this worked a treat as we managed to finish 3rd, satisfying the board along the way. This put us into the Play Offs where we beat foes Monarcas Morelia 2-1 in the QF, we beat Tigres Unal 4-3 in the SF. In the final we faced a strong Monterrey side, who despite losing their semi final 1st leg 3-0, were our opponents. I needn't worry, a rampant first 45 mins in the 1st leg saw us 5-1 up, and the tie was already over. The first leg finished 6-3 and we followed that up with a 3-0 home win to seal our first silverware in Mexico.

MX Cup - Results

Due to our failings to qualify for Continental football last season, I thought this would be quite a easy cup to win. I was wrong, we lost in 2nd round. 

Leagues Cup - Results

Still not sure what this comp is but it had little importance to the board.

Playing Squad

Transfers    End of Season Awards    Squad

We have a really talented squad but their consistency worries me. The defence needs some work and that is the area I will be looking to strengthen over the break to give us a chance of challenging for the NACL.

Our top players this season were:

Juan Manuel Britos (CM) - One of our key men, he was instrumental in the midfield this season and has bags of room for improvement. A big move to Europe wont be far away but im hoping to keep him for at least one more season.

Rodolfo Hernandez (ST) -  Our key man since ive been in charge. The striker just loves scoring goals, 37 goals in 43 games.

Victor Hugo Lopez (ST) - I neglected this man for the majority of my first 12 months in charge due to having Hernandez and a preference for a one man up top formation, since changing to a two man attack, we have reaped the rewards. 17 goals in 17 starts. 

Next Season

Manager Profile

The aim next season is simple, to win the NACL. That is all I need to tick off 4 continents of club football and to finally head over to Europe. I don't think I will be competing in any Cup competitions next season in Mexico so will need to go to a League simply for a cup win at some point in this save. I plan on finishing the save in England but that will depend on job availability etc. I am still in charge of the Australian national team and we look almost certain to qualify for the 2030 World cup. Will do an international update once qualification is finished. Manager reputation is up to 75% and hopefully this will rise more if we can win the NACL. With 12 months to run on my contract, It could be another Fluminense where I simply let my contract run down until I know if I need to spend any longer here.

Club Career

Leagues		Cups	
Season	Nation		Division	Club		1st	2nd	1st	2nd	Cont.	CWC	Other Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019/20	S Africa	NFD		TS Galaxy	3rd	n/a	R.2	n/a	n/a	n/a	Lost in Play Offs.
2020/21	S Africa	NFD		TS Galaxy	1st	n/a	Win	n/a	n/a	n/a	League Winners, NedBank Cup Winners.
2021/22	S Africa    	APL		M Sundowns	1st	n/a	Win	QF	SF	n/a	League and Cup Winners. Lost in CL SF.
2022/23	S Africa	APL		M Sundowns	4th	n/a	R.2	QF	Win	n/a	Champions League Winners
2023	China		CSL		Wuhan Zull	10th	n/a	Q.F	n/a	n/a	n/a	Appointed 08/06/2023
2024	China		CSL		Wuhan Zull	1st	n/a	Win	n/a	n/a	n/a	League and Cup Double. 
2025	China		CSL		Wuhan Zull	4th	n/a	R.U	n/a	Win	n/a	Champions League Winners. 
2026	Brazil		Ser. A		Fluminense	8th	n/a	Win	Win	QF	n.a	Fa Cup Winners.
2027	Brazil		Ser. A		Fluminense	1st	n/a	S.F	Win	Win	n/a	League and Champions League Winners. Left at End of Contract.
2028	Mexico		Liga Mx		Club Leon	n/a	3rd	n/a	n.a	SF	n.a	Took over at start of closing stages.
2029	Mexico		Liga Mx		Club Leon	12th	Win	R.2	n.a	n.a	n.a	Won Closing Stage Title.

International Career

Rank		Competitions
Year	Nation		Fifa	NL	World	Cont.	Other Achivements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2022	Nigeria		24th				Appointed on 25/15/2022
2023	Nigeria		11th	n/a	n/a	win	AFCON Winners
2026	Australia	61st	n/a	n/a	n/a	Appointed 19/07/2026
2027	Australia	60th	n/a	n/a	Q.F	Lost in Asian Cup Quarter Final	
2028	Australia	55th	n/a	n/a	n/a	
2029	Australia	54th	n/a	n/a	n/a	

Challenge Progress

Club
4/10 Top Domestic Leagues		(S.Africa-ASBA Prem 21/22, China - CSL 2024, Brazil - Serie A 2027, Liga MX Closing Stage 2029 - Mexico)
3/10 Top Domestic Cups			(S.Africa-NedBank Cup 20/21, China - CFA Cup 2024, Brazil - Copa Perdigao 2026)
3/5 Continental Championshsips		(Africa 2023, Asia 2025, S. America 2027)
0/1 Club World Cups

International
1/5 Continental Championships		(AFCON 2023- NIgeria)
0/1  World Tournaments 

11/32

This was my last attempt @vikeologist

• vikeologist changed the title to The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive