Football Manager 2016 - Official Beta Feedback

Man, very disappointed how limited player instructions are. They're entirely contigent upon the player role. For example, I don't want my poacher only being able to close down "less or much less." I want him to be the first line of my high press. bleh. disappointed.

Remember that "sometimes" mirrors the team instructions. So if you have team instructions to close down more/much more, the closing down bar in the player instructions will show as full and say "sometimes", even for defensive forwards.

If your team instructions are to close down less, you will have the option to set your poacher to close down more or much more.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm stuck on the first team meeting on my MLS save. After I selected the option to introduce myself as the new head coach, I can't scroll down to select the next set of Q&A.

I adjusted the window size and exited out of the first team meeting.

Anyone know how to improve tactical familiarity? I simulated through 5-7 exhibition games and played 2 exhibition games, but my tactical familiarity has not changed at all.

Hi FMers,

My apology if this has been brought up. Just wish to check.

Has possession football been downplayed in FM2016? :(

I've been getting difficulty in retaining possession with my Barcelona team. During an intra-friendly against a mock-up players, i can't even muster anything more than 59% of possession.

Has anyone found any success in playing possession football with more than 60% possession? :rolleyes:

Thank you.

I holidayed for a season and then took over a promoted team, (so not great), and then I haven't signed anyone but....

Recent games show 57% 55% 61% 52% 59%

I holidayed for a season and then took over a promoted team, (so not great), and then I haven't signed anyone but....

Recent games show 57% 55% 61% 52% 59%

Thanks Jimbokav1971.

Hmmm, if your team can achieve the feat, it should have been my tactics then. :seagull:

Thanks again. :thup:

Why is closing down still not fixed after soooo many years? "Close down more" doesn't work. "Tight marking" doesn't work. "Higher tempo" doesn't work. Higher mentality doesn't work. Get stuck in doesn't work either. The backline would make absolutely no effort in exerting pressure on the oppostion when they make so many passes and runs with ease. Result is too many shots possession conceded to the opposition. Just look at the absymal defending here.

horrible.

Why is closing down still not fixed after soooo many years? "Close down more" doesn't work. "Tight marking" doesn't work. "Higher tempo" doesn't work. Higher mentality doesn't work. Get stuck in doesn't work either. The backline would make absolutely no effort in exerting pressure on the oppostion when they make so many passes and runs with ease. Result is too many shots possession conceded to the opposition. Just look at the absymal defending here.
horrible.

Disagree. My whole tactic is based on closing down more, hard tackling, pressing all over the pitch, high tempo and it all works very well. I am playing a fast free flowing counter attacking game and then when they get the ball, we are all over them.

Disagree. My whole tactic is based on closing down more, hard tackling, pressing all over the pitch, high tempo and it all works very well. I am playing a fast free flowing counter attacking game and then when they get the ball, we are all over them.

Doesnt work for me though :( . My tactic is exactly what you've mentioned like how you've quoted exactly what I've said in my previous post. Coincidence much? So yeah, its Closing down more, hard tackling, pressing all over the pitch, high tempo and doesn't work for me. There've been countless complaints about excessive shot counts in the past too. It seems nothing much has improved from my testing so far.

Doesnt work for me though :( . My tactic is exactly what you've mentioned like how you've quoted exactly what I've said in my previous post. Coincidence much? So yeah, its Closing down more, hard tackling, pressing all over the pitch, high tempo and doesn't work for me. There've been countless complaints about excessive count shots in the past too. It seems nothing much has improved from my testing so far.

I believe that is what you are seeing. Just stating that is not what I am seeing. As I said, FM15 never seemed to do what I want. FM16, the play is pretty much how I envisioned it. Sure, we concede a bit easily at times, but that is mostly because we are pushing forward at a high tempo and sometimes get caught out when it comes back. But the players are really getting up into the oppositions face and lots of strong challenges being made.

I am in the Belarus second division so I accept some of my players are struggling to do what I ask of them. As an example, one of my midfielders has poor marking that means at times he will lose his man. Perhaps look at your players attributes and see if it is more player specific. I have a midfielder with 11 marking and high concentration and determination. He generally moves right in on his opponent when we lose the ball. My midfielder with 5 marking and poor concentration gets lost sometimes :)

I give credit where it's due. Thanks heaps to all devs and SI game staff for the great work into the tactics section of the game. Really makes more sens now to what i was looking at in previous versions. Fantastic work and a BIG thank you.

Well done you guys Rock.

FM FAN

Same here but it seems like the mods are trying to fob us off with a "benchmarking" problem. To be honest it seems like an issue with retina models and we're not getting an honest answer out of them. My MacBook Pro is 3 weeks old so there's no way it should be sounding like it's about to explode.

Nonsense. I've just asked him to create a technical issue thread and provide as much info as he can. SI (Lucas is not a moderator but a Dev) have already stated there is an issue under review, and they are working to solve it for release, you know this as you've already posted in one thread (and been asked to create your own thread rather than jump in constantly). So please keep your insinuations to yourself, Thanks.

Don't know why but this years offering just doesn't float my boat, much the same as FM15 didn't. The fun factor has just gone from the game for me and SI add useless fluff like the manager avatar while at the same time dumbing down tactical instructions and making the tactics screen dog ugly ( and nope, the slight increase in functionality doesn't come close to making up for it ). So I got a refund and it looks like another year of FM14. I will maybe take another look in March after the final patch but to be honest I don't think that I will be buying another FM until SI at least catch up to everyone else and go 64bit.

Don't know why but this years offering just doesn't float my boat, much the same as FM15 didn't. The fun factor has just gone from the game for me and SI add useless fluff like the manager avatar while at the same time dumbing down tactical instructions and making the tactics screen dog ugly ( and nope, the slight increase in functionality doesn't come close to making up for it ). So I got a refund and it looks like another year of FM14. I will maybe take another look in March after the final patch but to be honest I don't think that I will be buying another FM until SI at least catch up to everyone else and go 64bit.

Hey did you get your refund from Steam or Sega? I tried getting one from Steam but there seems to be no such option and instead they directed me to the Sega/SI forums.

Hey did you get your refund from Steam or Sega? I tried getting one from Steam but there seems to be no such option and instead they directed me to the Sega/SI forums.

If you have played less than 2 hours, it is easy to get a refund from Steam. Go under the help tab to Steam support and request a refund. You get it automatically. If you have played more than 2 hours, you will not be able to get a refund.

If you have played less than 2 hours, it is easy to get a refund from Steam. Go under the help tab to Steam support and request a refund. You get it automatically. If you have played more than 2 hours, you will not be able to get a refund.

Thanks for the info! Hmm I've not exceeded the playtime but no refund option. I've purchased the copy via greenman so that might be the reason.

there is something with the shortlisting tool...when trying to shortlist players on the basis of hidden attributes (as per the last year), two issues arisa: i) the hidden attribute filter comes and goes, i haven't spotted any rule on the basis of which it is available or not, it seems random; ii) even when the filter is available, it's broken, since (for example) when filtering players on the basis of 'current ability' it lists none, even at 2 CA...something maybe is wrong with such filter

In a big way I agree with you. This year version of FM have had the least new features than before than in anyway satsify my requests. 3 of the big new announcement of this years version are IMO a fail. Manager on the touchline, Fantasy Draft and Create a Club all are stuff that more anoys me than before. I just wish that SI Games could concentrate on hardcore issues than trying to satsify a FIFAseries-friendly base of people.

I wont however try to get a refund, as Ive already put too much hours in this beta. I could keep nagging on what I dislike about this version but then Id probably get a warning or ban from the mods so I better keep all my opinions for myself.

On the plusside, this beta seems more smooth than other betas so maybe we dont have to cry out for a big patch an hour after releaseday this time.

Why is it on a lot of the Youtube videos I have been watching, the opposition teams roles appear, but it's not doing that for me?

example:

Pause right away, he is playing as Liverpool, but he can see Arsenal's roles?

I believe this is deliberate in the beta so you can log any strange AI tactical behaviour.

My Mac is hotting up and the fan is going crazy during matches. i7 processor, 16GB memory and five star 3D graphics rating and it's having to work a bit too hard. FM15 ran seamlessly and although other aspects of the game seem even quicker than FM15 (continues, saves and opening scouting menu particularly), I think the game needs optimising for Mac OS (unless you Windows guys are encountering the same).

I am having the same issue on my Windows PC (only i5 and 7GB ram which had no performance issues on FM15 on very high graphic settings)....everything runs fine until I play a match and my CPU and memory utilization goes really high, which actually causes any videos/streaming or web browsing to lag quite bad.

I am having the same issue on my Windows PC (only i5 and 7GB ram which had no performance issues on FM15 on very high graphic settings)....everything runs fine until I play a match and my CPU and memory utilization goes really high, which actually causes any videos/streaming or web browsing to lag quite bad.

There is still a lot of optimisation work going on, so hopefully these issues will be resolved on full release. There are obviously hundreds of hardware and software configurations and SI test as many as they reasonably can. Please log your issues in the bugs forum (if you haven't already) and SI can look to see that your configuration is reviewed.

Remember that "sometimes" mirrors the team instructions. So if you have team instructions to close down more/much more, the closing down bar in the player instructions will show as full and say "sometimes", even for defensive forwards.

If your team instructions are to close down less, you will have the option to set your poacher to close down more or much more.

okay, but as it stands, he's only closing down "sometimes" within my team instructions to close down more, which makes absolutely no sense to me. It's handicapping what I can tell my players to do.

okay, but as it stands, he's only closing down "sometimes" within my team instructions to close down more, which makes absolutely no sense to me. It's handicapping what I can tell my players to do.

It could be argued that if you are telling a striker to play as a poacher, you are asking him to constantly be aware of the space between and behind defenders, and always be ready to exploit that space. By asking him to harry and harrass defenders on the ball, you are then asking him to ignore his role, he can't do both at once.

I don't know if this is a bug or actually how it works. I'm watford and Im trying to give Igalho a new contract. It comes up up, his work permit has failed as he hasn't played for Nigeria. You can re apply in 120 days. Then says he now cannot play for Watford. But in squad he still has his old contract and no ban from playing. He is out of contract in second season. Im in pre season two and he is worth 19m. Am i going to have to sell him just cos I cannot offer new contract?

It could be argued that if you are telling a striker to play as a poacher, you are asking him to constantly be aware of the space between and behind defenders, and always be ready to exploit that space. By asking him to harry and harrass defenders on the ball, you are then asking him to ignore his role, he can't do both at once.

A goal poacher's instinct to sit on the shoulder of the last defender should probably only come into play when his team is in possession or if the other team has a period of sustained possession, then yes be ready to exploit the space behind the defenders, but not when the ball is in their half. When the opposing team is trying to play out from the back, that's really the only opportunity he gets to close the ball down, and I would like him to do that ALL the time. I even set opposition instructions to close down the defenders and goal keepers, so the "sometimes" PI seems very contradictory to what I'm trying to do.

I think what we really need is for every single position on the pitch to have a "blank slate" role, like the Central Midfielder, where you can pick whatever mentality and PIs you like, and build the exact role you want.

The problem with that is that it potentially gives you an unfair advantage over the AI managers.

SI are trying to level the playing field between user & AI by limiting the user to the same options as the AI can use.

If your team instructions are to close down more, then "sometimes" means he is closing down more in line with the team instructions.

If I could use this picture to raise an issue, what's the deal with not getting average positions for all players? Sometimes it's only 3 players, sometimes only 2. Only on the first day of playing the Beta was I able to see average positions for all players that played. Very frustrating.

I noticed that when it only showed 3 players it was the guys who I had brought in as subs

The problem with that is that it potentially gives you an unfair advantage over the AI managers.

SI are trying to level the playing field between user & AI by limiting the user to the same options as the AI can use.

Which is the way it should be IMO. Anything to minimalise the rake of 'super tactics' which simply exploit the game's engine can only be a good thing for the development of the game.

I'd say you would have a lot more players combining daft instructions to the detriment of their team, than super AI exploiting PI combinations if it was opened up fully. :D

I'd say you would have a lot more players combining daft instructions to the detriment of their team, than super AI exploiting PI combinations if it was opened up fully. :D

Yes, you're right, you'd have both, so surely something implemented in-game to help curtail either outcome would make a better experience for the user?

Steam, just go through the normal refund procedure and put that it's a cancelled pre-order in the info box. Doesn't matter how long you have played btw as the game has not been released yet, this is just a beta.

is "add as transfer target - end of contract" (or whatever the wording is) a new option ?

Just don't remember seeing it in previous years....

Have been using my DOF for some transfers and am happy with his work - been tweaked I think ... Good work :)

Archived