Sports Interactive Community
JackDavies

3 Stunningly Excellent players, 9 Atrocious platers - System Question

Hi there,

I am currently playing in the Chinese Super league, which due to the constraints of its nationality rules I have 3 superb foreigner players all rated 5 stars and 9 pretty awful ones rated 2 stars. Those 3 players happen to be two strikers and one AM who all have trequartista as their best roles. My thought process has been as follows.

- I have 3 insanely good players, and 9 awful ones.

- I want the 3 to do all of the creative work and the 9 ones to be complete work horses

- My formation is 442 with a narrow diamond (ie with 2 CMS, DM, AM)

- I have set the philosophy to very rigid, and the 3 great players to trequartista (so they will have full creative freedom, and the others will have none).

- I have chosen an anchor man and two ball wining midfielders to enforce they pick up the horse work of the 3 trequartistas.

GK

LB CB CB RB

Anchor

BWM BWM

TRE

TRE TRE

My question is: In your opinion do i constrain the talents of the 3 players by setting them all to be trequartistas? is it a too much of the same role?

Surely their role depends on their attributes? If one of your world star players is a player like Hunterlaar who is all about scoring goals then the Trequarista role wouldn't suit him.

So I'd see what they're best at and play accordingly.

What are you trying to achieve by setting them all to Trequartistas? What's the plan for how the tactic will function and how you'll create chances and score goals?

If you're going just by the assistant's recommendation of their best roles, that's flawed. You cannot just forget that there is a tactical system that needs some sort of plan.

James Wilko all of their best roles are adjudged to be Trequartista by the assistant manager

HUNT3R, My tactical plan is simple. I want the 9 players behind to be completely compact and workmanlike , play the a very simple game. The top 3 I essentially want to tell them, do what ever you see fit, give them complete creative freedom.

From the way i read the player descriptions this would seem to be accurate?

James Wilko all of their best roles are adjudged to be Trequartista by the assistant manager

HUNT3R, My tactical plan is simple. I want the 9 players behind to be completely compact and workmanlike , play the a very simple game. The top 3 I essentially want to tell them, do what ever you see fit, give them complete creative freedom.

From this description, you would want a very rigid, very structured formation, and then give extra freedom to those three players up top.

Have you considered playing one of them out of position and in a deeper role, to help with the transition phase? Might help to link the phases of play better. Otherwise you may find your other players are not good enough to get the ball up to them without going route one.

Can you post up screenshots of the players? I know you say the assistant says they're best as trequaristas but there are other roles they could excel in.

I'd be wary of using three trequaristas, there will be instances where all three are off on a roam to the ball and you'll have no one in the box.

The top 3 I essentially want to tell them, do what ever you see fit, give them complete creative freedom.

So you want all 3 to drift around between the Defensive line and the Midfield line, looking for space. If I was a defender, I'd just push up to reduce the space, since nothing is keeping me back at all.

One trequartista along with a CF/S and a CF/A would probably be a more balanced way to give the attacking trio in a diamond lots of creative freedom in a very rigid system. Whether that suits your players, I don't know. But 3 treqs are all likely to seek out the same space and you'll have nobody in the box to finish chances.

Remember that a "workhorse" player can also be offensive.

Generally, every team needs to threat the opposition in four dimensions:

1) Width - you need someone attacking the outside of the opposition defense. Typically a winger or an offensive full back. This guy needs some pace, stamina and crossing. Everything else is a bonus.

2) Depth - you need someone to threaten the area behind the opposition defense. Typically a centre forward or an all-out winger in a 4-3-3. This guy needs pace and off the ball. Everything else is a bonus.

3) "Gap play" - you need a creative player to threaten the area between the opposition defense and midfield. Typically an offensive midfielder - perhaps cutting in from wide positions. This players needs to be good to really be effective.

4) Set pieces - you need someone to deliver quality corners, free kicks or throw-ins. He needs one or two of those attributes and some composure and technique. This guy can be the same as one of the above three players.

So possibly you could set your team up like this:

GK - Whoever you can find

RB (FBS)- Whoever you can find

LB (FBS) - Whoever you can find

LCB - A clever leader-type (FOREIGN)

RCB - A tall guy with bravery

MR (WMS) - Whoever you can find

MC (D) - A guy with bravery and determination

MC (A) - A clever player with creativity and set piece abilities (FOREIGN)

ML (WA) - A guy with pace and crossing

DLF (S) - Whoever you can find

AF (A) - A striker with off the ball, finishing and composuer (FOREIGN)

And most important of all - I would stick to very basic player roles for such a team. No need to over-complicate things.

3 Treqatista's wont work they will all be looking to find the same pockets of space and so will be so easy to defend against no matter how good they are.

also ignore Ass Man's opinions on half of the stuff mine keep saying Berihino is a defensive forward thats how flawed they are,

i would setup the team behind to play a very simple but direct style of football in that they move the ball to your front people as quick as possible so your front 3 can then work with each other.

for me i would have the front 3 setup as AMC-AM(A) or AMP(A) depending on wether hes a better passer or better finisher. then have your 2 strikers setup to link up using somebody who will drop deep and somebody who will try and push in behind the line this can be done with a TM/Poacher or DLF/ADVF or 2 complete strikers 1 set as support and other set as attack.