New player roles in FM 16?

Ever since FM 14, we have been introduced to new player roles from the shadow striker to the raumdeuter in FM 15. Any chance of that trend continuing iwith FM 16? I am maybe hoping for roles like the central winger or inverted winger role.

C'mon, central winger is a contradiction in terms, don't you think? "wing" signifies "sides", while 'central' signifies well, 'central/middle'.

SO what's a central winger then?

Hopefully not. I'd rather the exising ones that don't work as described are fixed before adding in even more. I'd include Sweeper, Libero and Inverted Wing Back in the list.

Whats the hold back on the Libero? For the last 3 games i am waiting for a popper fix is it really that hard to code how a Libero plays?

• Administrators
Whats the hold back on the Libero? For the last 3 games i am waiting for a popper fix is it really that hard to code how a Libero plays?

How should they play in your opinion? What player instructions should they have?

There should be a role which is opposite of inverted wing back.

I mean a defensive midfielder on tactic screen but plays as a wing back when defending. And when the team get the ball he comes to center and plays as a midfielder.

I need this kind of a role to play 3-3-4..

Edit..

There should be a role which is opposite of inverted wing back.

I mean a defensive midfielder on tactic screen but plays as a wing back when defending. And when the team get the ball he comes to center and plays as a midfielder.

I need this kind of a role to play 3-3-4..

Edit..

This is what the inverted wingback was supposed to be.

He HAS to be pt in the wingback/fullback slot, because that's his defensive position.

This is what the inverted wingback was supposed to be.

He HAS to be pt in the wingback/fullback slot, because that's his defensive position.

Of course i tried that in FM15. When defending it's ok. But when attacking IWBs don't play excatly like a defensive midfielder or central midfielder.

I'd like a "Cultured Centre Back" role - someone that will stride forward from defence and bring the ball out from the back.

I'd also like a "Complete Midfielder" - someone that 'does everything' in midfield, similar to a B2B midfielder, but with more playmaking attributes.

I'd like a "Cultured Centre Back" role - someone that will stride forward from defence and bring the ball out from the back.

I'd also like a "Complete Midfielder" - someone that 'does everything' in midfield, similar to a B2B midfielder, but with more playmaking attributes.

Ball Playing Defender, Roaming Playmaker. BPD has been around forever, RPM is a new one introduced last year I believe. So there you go.

How should they play in your opinion? What player instructions should they have?

Rather than rehash the entire discussion, http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/402381-Reviewed-Libero-Attack-Role

Those same issues are more or less the ones that still persist. The inverted wing-back thread is also completely relevant: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/400823-Reviewed-Inverted-Wingbacks as we were told that those issues wouldn't be fixed (which I still find incredibly insulting). Half-backs and wide playmakers ought to be looked at as well, I think.

As for new roles, I don't want any. Given that there have been several new ones introduced in the last two versions and they're still a bit off, I'd like to have them perfected before introducing new ones. I also haven't seen any real innovations in the structure of football that would demand a new role being introduced. What I would like, though, is the ability to play defensive wingers in the wide AM stratum, as we used to be able to do. The attacking midfield stratum is the only position that does not have a defend duty available, and it would be nice to fix that.

• 1 month later...

If at all possible, the Libero (especially on attack duty) should exhibit more lateral movement when his team is in possession. I see him readily move wide to counter threats when defending, but on attack he rarely moves outside the width of the center circle. Just generally, his off the ball movement needs to be more dynamic.

Also, the problem with the libero has as much to do with how others interact with him as it does with how he acts; teammates rarely pass the ball to him, and don't seem to accommodate his movements. You really need a player with exceptional qualities to play that role well, so when you put a such a player there it's frustrating to see him only get 30 touches a game, a third of which are clearances and defensive headers.

Also, when you play a libero in a back 3 (behind two DCs), the outside centerbacks should stay narrower when in possession (as they would in a back 4) to cover for the Libero's forward movement. Instead, they spread out wide as they would in a "flat" back 3, leaving a huge gap in the middle of your defense when the Libero advances.

I think things could be improved quite a bit if Libero-attack (and maybe support as well) were made a playmaker role so that teammates would funnel play through him, which is really what folks are looking for in this role. The Libero should act as a DLP when the team is in possession, and his behavior (and the behavior of those around him) should reflect that. Personally, I think the Libero-Support should essentially act like a DLP-D when in possession, and the Libero-Attack should act like a DLP-S or a Regista or even a RPM when in possession. I would be pretty happy if Libero-Support acted as the L-A acts now but being classified a playmaker role. Libero-Attack should be much more dynamic in his movements (especially laterally), and be classified as a playmaker role. I don't think you can accomplish that by just adjusting what player instructions are available and selected by default. I'm not sure how it works. Can the programmers copy and paste some code for the regista or RPM role into the libero-attack role? Only half-joking here.

This has been something people have complained about for YEARS. It seems like folks were able to get it working correctly by FM13, but then SI went and revamped the whole interface and it's back to the same problems you saw in FM11.

I am maybe hoping for roles like the central winger or inverted winger role.

I think i know what you mean by "central winger" but i would call it a "wide forward". Sort of how Anelka played for Chelsea with Drogba at ST and Malouda on the other side.

I have been trying to replicate this role and it just feels wrong playing a taller, stronger and sometimes slower player as a Winger or IF, even with "move into channels" instuction which makes them play more centrally.

It also feels wrong playing them as the wider strikers in a three striker formation with the current roles in charge, the only some what fitting role is DLF. AF doesn't really make sense because wide strikers usually don't lead the line and stay deeper than the central striker.

I would love a "wide forward" role for strikers which sits a bit deeper than a TM(a) or AF and wider than a wide striker as DLF.

personally I'd like to see two different types of Poachers.

First, the 'Limited Poacher' would be that fox-in-the box type of striker, maybe with average (or below average) technical skills but blessed with great anticipation inside the penalty area, and always attacking the defensive line with his off the ball movements. He'd rarely run with the ball, play short simple passes, and often try to beat the offside trap and generally look to score at every occasion. Think: Alan Shearer, Andy Johnson, Filippo Inzaghi.

Then there would be the 'Creative Poacher': the type of small, quick and technically gifted goal scorers typically from South America. They'd still be pure strikers and live for the goal, but would play with more flair and creativity, running with the ball often and making damages both on and off the ball with their dribbling and anticipation skills. Think: Romario, Vagner Love, Marcelo Salas.

I'm sure you could already get both roles right tweaking PI of poacher/advanced striker roles but would be nice to see these two striker roles implemented :)

personally I'd like to see two different types of Poachers.

First, the 'Limited Poacher' would be that fox-in-the box type of striker, maybe with average (or below average) technical skills but blessed with great anticipation inside the penalty area, and always attacking the defensive line with his off the ball movements. He'd rarely run with the ball, play short simple passes, and often try to beat the offside trap and generally look to score at every occasion. Think: Alan Shearer, Andy Johnson, Filippo Inzaghi.

Then there would be the 'Creative Poacher': the type of small, quick and technically gifted goal scorers typically from South America. They'd still be pure strikers and live for the goal, but would play with more flair and creativity, running with the ball often and making damages both on and off the ball with their dribbling and anticipation skills. Think: Romario, Vagner Love, Marcelo Salas.

I'm sure you could already get both roles right tweaking PI of poacher/advanced striker roles but would be nice to see these two striker roles implemented :)

Only Filippo Inzaghi even fits the description for "Limited Poacher", all the others in Creative Poachers do very much the same thing with the Poacher role since it involves running off the shoulder of the last defender anyway. Frankly with the mess surrounding Inverted Wingbacks I would prefer SI sort that out first before thinking of more new roles:lol:

Tbh, Alan Shearer was an excellent battering ram and more than just a box player, Andy Johnson is very much a Defensive Forward/Poacher.

Only Filippo Inzaghi even fits the description for "Limited Poacher", all the others in Creative Poachers do very much the same thing with the Poacher role since it involves running off the shoulder of the last defender anyway. Frankly with the mess surrounding Inverted Wingbacks I would prefer SI sort that out first before thinking of more new roles:lol:

Tbh, Alan Shearer was an excellent battering ram and more than just a box player, Andy Johnson is very much a Defensive Forward/Poacher.

I don't know, I'd say current poacher role does not run with the ball often and doesn't do much playmaking at all whereas 'my' creative poachers would be a much more err 'creative' role :)

I think there's quite a difference between those type of 'poachers' especially europe vs south america, most notably how these players tend to behave on the ball. People usually refer to Shearer, Inzaghi (who also excelled at playing with back to the goal and winning dubious fouls), Romario, Fat Ronaldo as 'poachers' though I think we're talking about very different roles.

Again, nothing major, just a small thing that came to my mind reading this thread!

Personally, I think the "roles" experiment has failed & needs to be replaced with something far simpler. Find me a manager that says to a player "ok today I want you to play as a ball winning midfielder" and the next week "ok this time I want you to play more like a defensive midfielder"... THEY'RE THE SAME THING!! There are FAR too many roles and it's made things completely needlessly over complicated.

How can you say there are too many roles?

GK - Choice of two

DC - Choice of three

Fullbacks - Choice of three

Midfield - Choice of six

Wingers - Choice of five

Strikers - Choice of eight

That isn't exactly overkill ffs and within those positions there are specific more defensive/more attacking roles which reduce the options.

How can you say there are too many roles?

GK - Choice of two

DC - Choice of three

Fullbacks - Choice of three

Midfield - Choice of six

Wingers - Choice of five

Strikers - Choice of eight

That isn't exactly overkill ffs and within those positions there are specific more defensive/more attacking roles which reduce the options.

There's 5 fullback roles, limited, inverted, complete, wingback and fullback.

I actually agree that there is too many roles especially when majority of them do a very similar thing and could have been achieved by adding PI's. I mean, the fullback roles are overkill for starters. Then we move on to roles such as AP, Treq and Enganche which are all basically the same role more or less. There should only be one of those roles and how you used the PI's should have made them different, there's no real need for a new role for them unless the actual coded behaviour is different and can't be achieved via instructions like the half-back.

I'm all for more roles but only if they are coded to have specific behaviour like the half back.

Other than the CD position, which has Stopper, Cover and Defend, I'd like to have Support, Defend and Attack duties available for every position on the pitch. Not every role, mind - highly specific roles like Box-To-Box Midfielder or Inverted Wingback should be restricted to single duties, but every position. Currently, the only ones lacking are attacking midfield and central defensive midfield. Attacking midfield had the Defensive Winger role removed this year. I think that's a mistake as it's available in the ML/MR positions, and the default positioning of AML/AMR is much more accommodating of the DW(s) description. Bringing that back and adding either a Defend duty to the Attacking Midfielder role or enabling the Defensive Forward role would cover the AM band nicely. In defensive midfield, I'd simply like to see the Regista made a little more attacking and given by default an Attack duty. I've not found a scenario where that role is more useful than a DLP(s) or RPM(s).

Could someone clarify if the roles are simply premade sets of PIs or if there's more to them behind the scenes?

interesting question: I think it's mostly sets of PI's (including 'old' sliders settings like mentality, closing down and creative freedom) though some specific roles include hard-coded behaviours, like the Half Back as mentioned by Cleon.

I actually agree that there is too many roles especially when majority of them do a very similar thing and could have been achieved by adding PI's. I mean, the fullback roles are overkill for starters. Then we move on to roles such as AP, Treq and Enganche which are all basically the same role more or less. There should only be one of those roles and how you used the PI's should have made them different, there's no real need for a new role for them unless the actual coded behaviour is different and can't be achieved via instructions like the half-back.

I'm all for more roles but only if they are coded to have specific behaviour like the half back.

Fully agree. You should be able / made to create some of the more niche roles through PI.

My 2 Cents.

The more the roles, the better. It allows for greater variety and fine-tuning. And that can never be a bad thing. If you're confident in your tactical knowledge, you'd not be frightened of the more delicate differences between the roles.

There is a difference between a BWM and a DM. There's a difference b/w an ENG, TT, and a AP. Though the differences between these roles could be argued to be slight, slight is big enough in certain circumstances.

If you don't like the numerous roles just keep choosing the basic MC and AF, but some pple want to have the specialized roles and demand that. FM need to cater for everyone.

SO, i'd say they're doing just fine with the roles

I'd like the same roles available for my winger regardless of whether I start him as ML/MR or AML/AMR.

I agree with this. A winger in the ML/MR positions does exactly the same as a winger in AML/AMR. So why can't we have an inside forward at ML/MR, after all the positions displayed in the tactics screen are only the defensive positions.

I agree with this. A winger in the ML/MR positions does exactly the same as a winger in AML/AMR. So why can't we have an inside forward at ML/MR, after all the positions displayed in the tactics screen are only the defensive positions.

You already can have an Inside Forward by modifying the Wide Midfielder role.

You already can have an Inside Forward by modifying the Wide Midfielder role.

But someone like me who isn't great with tactics wouldn't have known that. Now that you've informed me, great but then I start thinking what instructions should i use to modify it?

Again i'm rubbish with tactics and have always used other peoples but im currently trying to make use of my own and believe having both ML/MR & AML/AMR have the same roles would help me a lot.

But someone like me who isn't great with tactics wouldn't have known that. Now that you've informed me, great but then I start thinking what instructions should i use to modify it?

Again i'm rubbish with tactics and have always used other peoples but im currently trying to make use of my own and believe having both ML/MR & AML/AMR have the same roles would help me a lot.

All you would have to do is set a W/WM to cut inside, get more forward, shoot more and you will have an IF.

Overall it doesn't really make sense to have the same roles for ML/MR & AML/AMR because a Wide Midfielder doesn't play that high up the pitch in real life just how an Inside Forward doesn't play on the same line as a Central Midfielder, he's called a forward after all.

The more roles the better as someone else pointed out in this thread. If anything they should add new roles to fix your issue like an Inverted Wide Midfielder/Winger, a Wide Midfielder does usually cut inside a lot already though.

All you would have to do is set a W/WM to cut inside, get more forward, shoot more and you will have an IF.

Overall it doesn't really make sense to have the same roles for ML/MR & AML/AMR because a Wide Midfielder doesn't play that high up the pitch in real life just how an Inside Forward doesn't play on the same line as a Central Midfielder, he's called a forward after all.

The more roles the better as someone else pointed out in this thread. If anything they should add new roles to fix your issue like an Inverted Wide Midfielder/Winger, a Wide Midfielder does usually cut inside a lot already though.

That does sound better to be honest.

You know what an inside forward does. The TIs then are simple, surely? He doesn't cross but rather dribbles and cuts inside.

It doesn't have anything to do with being rubbish at tactics.

And on this note I miss the option to change the supply to ball to feet, ball to head and pass into space. That would make the Target Man roles work better.

It's already incorporated into your playing style. If you're a short passing team, it'll be to feet. If you're direct, it'd be lumped up to him.

It's already incorporated into your playing style. If you're a short passing team, it'll be to feet. If you're direct, it'd be lumped up to him.

How am I supposed to set up my volleyball-style team with 5-yard chipped one-twos and dolphin dribbles?

Or the more conventional direct passing to the feet of a target-man as Swansea played with Bony, Gomis etc.

Well said and 100% agree.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I would like to have (maybe on 2017 version) the ability to set roles and PI's based on the player as well as just a position and switch between them when needed.

For example, if I had a defensive midfielder with decent passing stats, I might want them to be a bit more creative and play more adventurous passes. Alternatively I might also have a more limited defensive midfielder who I just want to be a tank in midfield.

At the moment I would have to change the role and all the PI's to match each time I rotate the players, this is fine when it's just one or two players, however I sometimes like to rotate multiple players and find it too tiresome changing all the roles and PI's.

Hope this makes sense!

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I would like to have (maybe on 2017 version) the ability to set roles and PI's based on the player as well as just a position and switch between them when needed.

For example, if I had a defensive midfielder with decent passing stats, I might want them to be a bit more creative and play more adventurous passes. Alternatively I might also have a more limited defensive midfielder who I just want to be a tank in midfield.

At the moment I would have to change the role and all the PI's to match each time I rotate the players, this is fine when it's just one or two players, however I sometimes like to rotate multiple players and find it too tiresome changing all the roles and PI's.

Hope this makes sense!

I'm pretty sure you can already do this...

Yeah you can have different roles and PI's for each position.

What I'd like is to be able to set up a role with PI's and use that role across different tactics rather than set up the roles for each tactic

Yeah you can have different roles and PI's for each position.

What I'd like is to be able to set up a role with PI's and use that role across different tactics rather than set up the roles for each tactic

Maybe I haven't been looking in the right place! I'll have a look later.

Archived