Newcastle United Thread 2008/2009

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the other hand of fixtures and the Op, we are being linked with Danny Guthrie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bolton officials have made it known that they expect to be unsuccessful in their attempts to sign midfielder Danny Guthrie - as the player is coming to SJP.

The 21 year-old spent last season on loan at the Reebok from Liverpool, having spent part of 2006/07 being borrowed by Southampton.

Released by Manchester United as a 15 year-old, Guthrie has made three sub appearances for Liverpool - the last of which was at SJP in February 2007.

To date, Guthrie has made 54 senior appearances, with his only goal to date coming in a League Cup victory at Craven Cottage, on his Bolton debut.

It's speculated that Guthrie could be part of a possible cash plus player deal for James Milner, amid reports that Newcastle have no interest in taking Jermaine Pennant.

Guthrie was rated in the £2m bracket recently when a move to Bolton looked more of a foregone conclusion

Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

When was the last time we played at home on the opening day of the season?

Come to think of it when was the last time we were at home on boxing day?

Not sure if this has been answered Neil. Last opening day home game was Wigan in 2006. Last home game on Boxing Day was a 3-0 win over Middlesbrough in Dec 2001. The fixtures are a **** take. Saying that, am really surprised that Chelsea isn't our last home game of the season for once.

Very difficult first two away games - only consolation is getting them out of the way sharpish.

And posting the club honours at the start of the thread was just asking for the baiting, Michael if I'm honest. Same old tittle tattle though - nothing new or original.

The article from The Mirror is also interesting - I wonder if that's been written by a journo or a fan? The s/t worries are quite correct and I'm pleased I chose to bite the bullet and not renew when I did. Real life has a habit of intervening chaps, so enjoy your football before getting married/having kids arrives at your door!

With regards to the direction the club seems to be taking. We do seem to be following the Villa footprint, in getting the house inorder and building slowly. Far better than the boom and bust of previous years.

Originally posted by magick beatty:

NUFC.com informs me of

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">renewed speculation that United are attempting to land long-term transfer target Andrei Arshavin.

Now that would be nice.

Any news on Arda whilst I'm posting? The guy looks too good for us... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arsharvin wont move this summer he has no need to his club has just won the uefa cup and are playing in the champions league next season so he doesnt need a new challenge. Also its his hometown club and pretty sure hes always played in Russia so I just cant see him leaving the country and the big factor is there is big money in the Russian leagues now so there is no need for him to move abroad for bigger wages.

Turan however would be a good buy but you should have moved before the euros as I can imagine quite a few clubs will be following him.

Originally posted by mwalker99:

Arsharvin wont move this summer he has no need to his club has just won the uefa cup and are playing in the champions league next season so he doesnt need a new challenge. Also its his hometown club and pretty sure hes always played in Russia so I just cant see him leaving the country and the big factor is there is big money in the Russian leagues now so there is no need for him to move abroad for bigger wages.

But he wants a new challenge, in a 'big' league.

NEWCASTLE United will have a new-look executive management team in place next season following confirmation that Chris Mort has stepped down from his role as Chairman.

Deputy Chairman Derek Llambias has a new title of Managing Director and will head up the boardroom structure at St. James' Park, supported by David Williamson, Executive Director (Operations) and Dennis Wise, Executive Director (Football).

Mr Llambias said: "Since coming to work at Newcastle United I have quickly begun to appreciate the passion people have for the Football Club.

"I firmly believe we have the right people with the right expertise, with Kevin Keegan back as manager and being fully supported by Mike Ashley and the directors, to take the Club forward again.

"At the same time, I'd like to pay tribute to all of the hard work done by Chris during his time at St. James' Park and wish him every success for the future."

Chris Mort was appointed Chairman of Newcastle United in the summer of 2007, following Mike Ashley's purchase of the Club.

During his time at the helm, Mr Mort undertook a full strategic review of the Club and helped bring in a number of new personnel in key positions, as well as significantly enhancing relationships with supporters and overseeing the creation of the Newcastle United Foundation, which will further strengthen the Club's presence in the local community.

Mr Mort, who will be returning to his work as a partner at London law firm Freshfields, said: "I've enjoyed my time immensely as Chairman of Newcastle United but with high quality individuals recruited for each of the key management roles at the club, and the club heading in the right direction following the strategic review, the time feels right for me to return to Freshfields.

"From the moment I arrived in the north east, I received the warmest of welcomes and I must thank the people of Newcastle for that.

"Having experienced the unique atmosphere generated at St. James' Park on matchdays, and also by the Newcastle United supporters on our travels away, I look forward to supporting the team next season and will continue to get to as many matches as I can."

I agree with a lot of the work that Ashley is doing, I'm just not sure that there is the patience required form him to be successful at it. At the end of August we could very well be bottom of the league. I can't see Keegan lasting the season either.

Where do people think we'll finish? I'm thinking that we'll probably end up in 15th.

Where we finish is massively dependant upon who we sign.

If Keegan is backed by Ashley (As I think he will be) and manages to get in about 4 new first-team faces of his choosing, then I'm confident of a comfortable top-half finish.

With the current squad, we'll struggle. Emre, Rozenhal, Carr and Ramage all out from an already thin squad (With Shola also looking surplus to requirements) means we just don't have the numbers we'd need to mount a successful campaign.

Originally posted by cliff7197:

If Keegan is backed by Ashley (As I think he will be) and manages to get in about 4 new first-team faces of his choosing, then I'm confident of a comfortable top-half finish.

With the current squad, we'll struggle. Emre, Rozenhal, Carr and Ramage all out from an already thin squad (With Shola also looking surplus to requirements) means we just don't have the numbers we'd need to mount a successful campaign.

Will need a lot more than 4 new faces, considering how many have been off-loaded.

I’m a bit concerned at the moment about the direction we’re going in. Not quite hitting panic stations yet but there’s a few things bothering me.

First off, we’re still pretty much in the dark about the structure of the club. We have a lot of staff at the club and don’t know who’s doing what. Who’s our assistant? What does Arthur Cox do? Why is Terry McDermott still there? I still don’t think we know the precise roles of Wise and Jiminez. Keegan says he still has the final say, but is that right, or is he just trying to save face? The club need to come out and lay things out in crayon so that everyone knows what’s happening.

I’m also slightly concerned at the competence of Wise bringing in players (if he is). Our supposed targets have either signed new deals or went to other clubs.

We also don’t know what our transfer policy is. The press jump to their own conclusions, but are these accurate or way off the mark? We’re supposedly on a cost cutting mission, which is fair enough if true, but is it true? Is it speculation? Is our wage bill out of control? Do we need to shift our big earners? Is our transfer policy based around signing the best up and coming youngsters and if so, when are we expected to see the benefits of this policy? So far we’ve signed Baheng, Kadar, Tozer, Zamblera and Soderberg, but are any of these likely to be involved next season? If they are intended for a few years down the line, who are we signing to play for us now?

When Ashley and Mort first came in they publicly admitted that the first course of action was a complete audit of the club and we wouldn’t be splashing out on transfers while that was underway. As far as I recall the fans accepted that, there was no complaining, no hissy fits, no demands for Abramovich-esque signings, people understood the need to secure the long-term future of the club. A year on and we’re in a similar position, unsure of what’s available for transfers and the club aren’t making any noise to dispel the rumour mill that’s growing in the media.

As for our squad, it’s pretty bare to begin with and removing more players will only make it thinner. Our squad at the moment looks something like this:

Goalkeepers

Shay Given

Steve Harper

Fraser Forster

Tim Krul

Ole Soderberg

Defenders

Steven Taylor

Abdoulaye Faye

Cacapa

David Edgar

Jose Enrique

David Edgar

Ben Tozer

Tamas Kadar

Midfielders

Joey Barton

Geremi

Nicky Butt

James Milner

Damien Duff

Charles N’Zogbia

Kazenga LuaLua (I think)

Forwards

Michael Owen

Obafemi Martins

Mark Viduka

Andrew Carroll

Shola Ameobi

Ngo Baheng

Fabio Zamblera

Feck knows

Alan Smith

Some on that list aren’t ready for first team football, some probably never will be. Some are on big wages with little return and some just aren’t good enough.

We still don’t know for sure the futures of Owen, Martins, Barton, Duff, Milner, Smith, Cacapa, Geremi, Ameobi, Carroll, Given, Enrique, N’Zogbia and Taylor. I don’t expect them all to go, but that’s still a hell of a lot of players to be unsure about.

Everything we hear about signing players is that it’s going to be after the Euros. Why is this? Surely all of our targets aren’t playing at the Euros? What happened to the likes of Cuellar and Dunne? Are we making moves behind closed doors or have we given up on them and moved onto other targets? I don’t expect us to be shouting our plans form the rooftops, or mentioning big names (Ronaldinho?), but when the club are asking you to commit to a season ticket for three seasons and there’s not even a glimpse of any new players on the horizon you have to ask what the incentive is other than blind loyalty. Which brings me on to season tickets…

Season ticket renewals have come through and they’re asking fans to stump up for three seasons up front, or commit to the next three seasons. The club will hail this as a loyalty scheme but it’s pretty much blackmail since it’s structured in a way that you have to commit or pay more cash. It’s also worth noting that the average price in crease of Premiership season tickets is 7% and we’re sticking ours up by 10% each season (and even my ticket has gone up just over 13% this season). I would have thought that after all the problems last season they might have frozen the prices but sticking them up just stinks.

That probably sounds a lot bleaker than I intended and I don’t expect answers to all of my queries. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see how things pan out, but I’m an impatient sod and just want to know what’s happening, now.

First off, we’re still pretty much in the dark about the structure of the club. We have a lot of staff at the club and don’t know who’s doing what. Who’s our assistant? What does Arthur Cox do? Why is Terry McDermott still there? I still don’t think we know the precise roles of Wise and Jiminez. Keegan says he still has the final say, but is that right, or is he just trying to save face? The club need to come out and lay things out in crayon so that everyone knows what’s happening.

You might want to know, but not sure what advantage the club gets from this?

And hardly suprising that people get a discount for buying a three-year ticket - otherwise no-one would buy them.

Originally posted by Bebeto:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cliff7197:

Will need a lot more than 4 new faces, considering how many have been off-loaded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like more than 4, of course. But I don't share your pessimism for if we only get 4.

Look at the players who have left or are rumoured to be leaving:

Emre - Always injured

Rozenhal - Shipped out on loan

Carr - Injured, and Beye far better

Ramage - Knacked his leg

Ameobi - Can't get a game

Diatta - Played a total of about 12 minutes

OK, we've lost strength in depth. But those 6 players were hardly the backbone of the team last year. I think we'll do fine if 4 first teamers come in, and the likes of Smith drop to the bench. That to me will represent a big forward step and will provide us with a good chance of a top-half finish.

(Of course if we can sell Smith and make it 5 arrivals instead of 4, then I'd be happier still!)

Originally posted by Goater666:

So you are still trusting MadKev with all your money.

You do know the crap he bought with £50 million of our money don't you?

He brought us Ginola, Ferdinand, Beardsley, Asprilla, Albert, Rob Lee and Andy Cole. So yes, I trust him with our money.

I couldn't care less what he did with your money. icon_razz.gif

Is that really the only defenders you have got? If so then I would be very worried, are Edgar, Tozer and Kadar ready for first team? If not that leaves you with Taylor who looks an immature player in terms of decisions etc Faye and Capaca should be pretty good but was Capaca injured last season or homesick or what?

Jose Enrique and Faye probably the only 2 you can rely on so lets say you only buy 4 players you need a right back and a centre back and even then your defence is bare but who else would you get replace the people that leave if they do surely a creative midfielder like Emre.

Anyway was just musing whilst I was bored im not even a Newcastle fan so i could be completely wrong.

How do you mean commit to three seasons Neil? Do you sign a contract?

You have a number of options when renewing your ticket, all offering different financial incentives. I don’t have the details on me so some of these details might be a bit inaccurate…

If I renew for the 08/09 season, I have to pay £549 up front (a 13% rise on last season).

If I renew for the 08/09 season and commit to a direct debit for the 09/10 and 10/11 seasons, I have to pay £494 up front and the club will start taking interest free monthly instalments form my bank account between February and November for the 09/10 season and presumably February and November 2010 for the 10/11 season. By committing to the next three years, the club are offering to freeze prices, otherwise they will go up by 10% each season so I’d end up paying £549 for 08/09, £604 for 09/10 and £664 for 10/11.

If I pay for 08/09, 09/10 and 10/11 now, I’ll receive a discount and ‘only’ have to pay £1334 upfront, working out at £445 per season.

It’s all set up so that you pretty much have to commit to a season ticket for the next three seasons, otherwise you’ll end up forking out a lot more cash. Given that I’m the type of fan who always renews regardless of how bad we are, I’ll be renewing over the next three years and could be wrong on this, but my options work out as follows:

Buy season tickets individually each season = £1817 (avg £606 per season)

Buy season ticket for 08/09 season and commit to 09/10 and 10/11 = £1482 (avg £494 per season)

Buy season tickets for 08/09,09/10 and 10/11 = £1334 (avg £445 per season)

The club are coming out and saying that it’s a great way to save money, but in effect it’s more like forcing you to pay up or spend more.

Ah so a (sort of) price freeze if you commit long term. Can see the business sense, no help to your average fan though when you are talking about hundreds of pounds.

QPR have started a loyalty scheme, but think it's just a "the longer you've been with us, the earlier you get tickets" thing. No need to financially commit, yet.

Is that really the only defenders you have got? If so then I would be very worried, are Edgar, Tozer and Kadar ready for first team? If not that leaves you with Taylor who looks an immature player in terms of decisions etc Faye and Capaca should be pretty good but was Capaca injured last season or homesick or what?

Jose Enrique and Faye probably the only 2 you can rely on so lets say you only buy 4 players you need a right back and a centre back and even then your defence is bare but who else would you get replace the people that leave if they do surely a creative midfielder like Emre.

Anyway was just musing whilst I was bored im not even a Newcastle fan so i could be completely wrong.

Whilst I agree that we could do with a new defender or 2, the midfield is the area that worries me the most.

Barton's in jail, Duff and Milner are rumoured to be leaving, Butt's ancient and Lua Lua is too young.

We're woefully short of options there, and desperately need some players with a bit of creativity.

The only person in the management structure who confuses me is Dennis Wise. Jiminez is there to negotiate with agents and players, and get the club a good deal, Vetere is basically our head scout, Keegan is the first team coach. It just leaves the question of what Dennis Wise is doing if those large chunks of the job of Director of Football are being done by others. It kind of makes him a footballing envoy to the boardroom, some kind of broadly strategic consultant.

I'm perhaps a little more patient and forgiving than most when it comes to the club's attempts to sort itself out. I don't think there needs to be any guarantee that a significant amount of our rebuilding has to happen this summer. As long as we're able to keep ourselves out of trouble, and I think a small number of decent signings will take care of that, then I'd rather we carefully assembled a good young squad on sensible wages over a 2 or 3 year period than be forced into splashing loads of cash about now.

At bare minimum, we could get away with buying a defender and a centre mid, hopefully two, and be more or less OK unless there was a serious injury crisis. That's without really knowing how good David Edgar, Ben Tozer, Tamas Kadar, Kazenga Lua Lua, Ngo Baheng, Andrew Carroll and Fabio Zamblera are.

The first team we put out during our decent run towards the end of last season will barely change as things stand - it's just that Butt and Geremi are getting older, and Barton's a burglar's bitch so needs replacing. Obviously that'll change if more leave, and there'd then be more pressure to sign first team players, but it's pointless speculating about an exodus that hasn't happened yet, particularly while there's still so much time for signings, and the Euros haven't even finished yet.

We need defenders like you need punctuation.

It's an incredibly thin squad. Tozer, Kader are highly rated youngsters, but then Chopra used to bang the goals in for the reserves and there is no way that he's worth £5m that Sunderland paid for him.

I agree with the club trying to cut the wage bills and getting back to realistic finance levels. Our finances under the old regime pre Ashley were as accurate as those claimed by the Soviet Politburo. They were legal, but they hid the true extent of the debt. If FFS had still been in charge last season then we would have been hit really hard by the credit crunch.

However if we don't move forward this year I can't see us getting more than 45000 a game in through the gates next year. If we start playing some attractive attacking football it might help, but if it's anything like last year then we are going to struggle.

We need to sign a leader on the park, a replacement for Viduka, someone who can organise the defence and a winger who can cross the ball in.

We are bound to be linked with Deco again after he is no longer wanted by Pep but I reckon he'll go to Chelsea. It is an extremely thin squad and as soon as the Euros are out the way we might need to get the right players, quickly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How do you mean commit to three seasons Neil? Do you sign a contract?

You have a number of options when renewing your ticket, all offering different financial incentives. I don’t have the details on me so some of these details might be a bit inaccurate…

If I renew for the 08/09 season, I have to pay £549 up front (a 13% rise on last season).

If I renew for the 08/09 season and commit to a direct debit for the 09/10 and 10/11 seasons, I have to pay £494 up front and the club will start taking interest free monthly instalments form my bank account between February and November for the 09/10 season and presumably February and November 2010 for the 10/11 season. By committing to the next three years, the club are offering to freeze prices, otherwise they will go up by 10% each season so I’d end up paying £549 for 08/09, £604 for 09/10 and £664 for 10/11.

If I pay for 08/09, 09/10 and 10/11 now, I’ll receive a discount and ‘only’ have to pay £1334 upfront, working out at £445 per season.

It’s all set up so that you pretty much have to commit to a season ticket for the next three seasons, otherwise you’ll end up forking out a lot more cash. Given that I’m the type of fan who always renews regardless of how bad we are, I’ll be renewing over the next three years and could be wrong on this, but my options work out as follows:

Buy season ticket for 08/09 season and commit to 09/10 and 10/11 = £1482 (avg £494 per season)

The club are coming out and saying that it’s a great way to save money, but in effect it’s more like forcing you to pay up or spend more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont see anything wrong with the offers they are making you.

Most clubs are increasing their prices, thats accepted. If you can the 3 years at once option is great (its the one i took at the boro, a lump sum now and it is better over the 3 years) and financially sound, only problem is can people afford such a big lump at such short notice, between getting the forms and me having to let them know was 22 days, £780 extra than i expected, people just dont have that sort of money hanging about. Luckily i do.

Originally posted by Powlay:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How do you mean commit to three seasons Neil? Do you sign a contract?

The club are coming out and saying that it’s a great way to save money, but in effect it’s more like forcing you to pay up or spend more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont see anything wrong with the offers they are making you.

Most clubs are increasing their prices, thats accepted. If you can the 3 years at once option is great (its the one i took at the boro, a lump sum now and it is better over the 3 years) and financially sound, only problem is can people afford such a big lump at such short notice, between getting the forms and me having to let them know was 22 days, £780 extra than i expected, people just dont have that sort of money hanging about. Luckily i do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whs - on the basis that, rightly or wrongly, all Premiership clubs are raising their prices each year, the deal that NUFC have offered is pretty good.

I don't really see how people can complain about the way the offer has been made - no club would freeze ticket prices for 3 seasons in a row. So in order to make that kind of offer they want some guaranteed income. If ppl can't afford it - they can't afford it.

We (Boro) froze ours again this season (thats 3 seasons iirc) and rightly so after a season of dire football.

My only problem was as i had said is the time from the deal coming in to it needing to be paid for, 22 days in all.

IF they had come out at christmas so people could have planned in advance. I had saved £400 specifically for my season ticket, then at the drop of a hat i need to find another £770 if im to take advantage of this offer.

Thats the annoyance.

So anyway, which offer are you taking up Neil?

I’ve applied for the Football Barclaycard last night so as long as that comes by the weekend and I can stick it on interest free I’ll be going for the three year pay up front plan then setting up a direct debit which will work out at £37 p/m.

That’s a few ifs though.

I would of said Hughton is the assistant as he replaced Pearson although Steve Round has the headset on the bench and Terry Mac organises the subs. Arthur Cox is not a coach as such, he is more of an advisor to KK, he was only here on a short term contract so whether he will still be here this season nobody knows as he is getting on now. Ive never been a fan of Terry Mac, he seems like one of the jobs for the boys, and i hoped if we had hired a different manager TM would of been sacked but now KK is here i cant see him leaving anytime soon, he seems to arrange subs & make notes and he probs collects the cones in training, i think Terry Mac is more of a morale coach. Tbf we dont have alot of staff at the club, we have 3 coaches although ive never seen Terry mac actually training the players, Round & Hughton always train/warm up the players with Aidy Lamb the fitness coach then Barron works with Harper/Given/Krul. If you look at most clubs we seem short on coaches.

I’m also slightly concerned at the competence of Wise bringing in players (if he is). Our supposed targets have either signed new deals or went to other clubs.

Wise allegedly has no control over first team affairs, he has the say on hiring/firing youth coaches, & scouts and does some scouting for us (he went to france to watch Gomis)

We still don’t know for sure the futures of Owen, Martins, Barton, Duff, Milner, Smith, Cacapa, Geremi, Ameobi, Carroll, Given, Enrique, N’Zogbia and Taylor. I don’t expect them all to go, but that’s still a hell of a lot of players to be unsure about.

Out of those id only be worried about Owen (contract), Barton (jail), Duff (doesnt look interested), Ameobi (crap), N'Zogbia (moody twa*t), Taylor (contract) I doubt any of the others will be going anywhere.

Everything we hear about signing players is that it’s going to be after the Euros. Why is this? Surely all of our targets aren’t playing at the Euros? What happened to the likes of Cuellar and Dunne? Are we making moves behind closed doors or have we given up on them and moved onto other targets? I don’t expect us to be shouting our plans form the rooftops, or mentioning big names (Ronaldinho?), but when the club are asking you to commit to a season ticket for three seasons and there’s not even a glimpse of any new players on the horizon you have to ask what the incentive is other than blind loyalty.

Maybe KK/DW are on holiday till after the euros? Maybe we have scouts there but don't want to make any bids till after the euros incase they have a stinker and go on to be a failure for us (Guivarch anyone?)

Maybe your being too pessimistic and im being too optimistic but it will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks.

Originally posted by Scott AM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mwalker99:

We need defenders like you need punctuation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So a lot then icon_razz.gif

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-10...castle.html?ITO=1490

Steven Taylor ready to commit to long-term contract at Newcastle

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 8:34 PM on 17th June 2008

Steven Taylor is set to end growing uncertainty over his Newcastle future by signing a new long-term contract at St James' Park.

Newcastle chiefs risked losing one of their most prized assets after dragging their heels over offering him fresh terms and allowing his current deal to run down.

But, just as the England Under-21 centre-back was bracing himself for an unwanted departure from his hometown club, Newcastle's board have indicated a willingness to negotiate a pay hike that would put him in line with other senior players.

Originally posted by Michael Foster:

New website has been launched & first pics of new away kit released click here

is it me or does the kit Taylor is wearing look Purple? i like purple!

SkySports also saying we're interested in Guy Demel from Hamburg... Linky. Personally i think he'll be a good signing, but thats whether he really wants to come.

Not sure if you seen this ...

still hassles with Emre deal ?

Emre Belozoglu has bid his farewells to the Toon Army and embraced the Turkish army. It is almost three weeks since the midfield player was given permission to discuss personal terms with Fenerbahce, but his £3 million transfer from Newcastle United has been postponed while he unravels the complexities of his country’s system of compulsory national service.

With neither club announcing the completion of the deal, concerns had been raised that the 27-year-old, who had a dreadful record with injuries on Tyneside, had failed a medical. Since being pictured wearing a Fenerbahce shirt, the Turkey captain injured his hamstring during his side’s Group A fixture against Portugal and has not subsequently played, but those fears have now been allayed.

Instead, a senior figure at St James’ Park has told The Times that Emre “will have national service obligations if he gets the timing of his return to Turkey wrong and that is the only reason for the delay.†He added that he “would still expect (the transfer) to go through,†but it appears the formalities may not be finalised until next month.

A spokesman for Fenerbahce confirmed last night Emre would undertake 21 days of military training once Turkey’s participation at Euro 2008 comes to a close. “We will send him for national service after the European Championships, but there is no problem with the transfer,†he said.

All Turkish men between the ages of 21 and 40 are required to serve up to 15 months in the military, although there are some exceptions. Citizens who have worked outside the country for at least three consecutive years can pay a fee of Euros 5112 and undergo basic training for three weeks; while Emre played for Inter Milan prior to joining Newcastle, the three-year anniversary of his transfer falls on July 14.

Found this on the 606 website, which someone got off a french website. Probably crap

PSG: Digard va signer à Newcastle

Les Magpies devraient, selon la presse anglaise, offrir à Paris 6MEuros pour s'attacher les services de l'ancien Parisien, acheté l'été dernier pour... 2,5MEuros soit plus que le double. Une somme que Paris ne devrait pas refuser car d'après le journal Le Parisien de mardi, les dirigeants du PSG vont disposer d'une enveloppe de 15MEuros.

Which by using Google Translator is:

PSG: Digard will sign Newcastle

The Magpies should, according to the English press, to give Paris 6MEuros to engage the services of the former Parisian, bought last summer for ... 2.5 million more than double. A sum that Paris should not refuse because according to the newspaper Le Parisien on Tuesday, the leaders of PSG will have an envelope 15MEuros.

Probably should be Newcastle will sign Digard.

If anyone has a better translator or knows quite a bit of French, then post what you think it should say here

They've got the club wrong, it says "Digard to sign for Newcastle - According to the english press Newcastle will pay 6million Euros for Digard"

It's reporting the english press, who infact say Middlesbrough are the team buying him.

Archived