Newcastle United Thread 2008/2009

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite possibly, although there are a few contenders (Ginola vs Ferencvaros?).

Remember when he did it and I was sitting the jaw agape while the guy behind me was screaming at Dabizas. Not sure what he was supposed to do tbf.

It was a great goal, though didn't Bergkamp admit afterwards that he didn't mean to do that?

I've seen some great goals down the years - Beardsley v Brighton in '84, Mark McGhee v Bradford in 89 to name a couple of my favourites.

Oh - and KK back behind his desk on Monday. Hopefully we'll start to see some movement in the transfer market.

It was a great goal, though didn't Bergkamp admit afterwards that he didn't mean to do that?

I thought some of the pundits didnt think he meant it but when asked he said of course he did. Ally McCoist (someone on MoTD) didnt give it as goal of the month cause he didnt think he meant it IIRC

Anyone see Arshavin in the Holland game, tonight? He was fantastic and can only have enhanced his reputation. I know he's a name we've been linked with and whilst I'd love to see him come here - he'll doubtlessly have better suitors now. However, if getting him is a possibility then I'd also like to see us have a crack at getting a couple of his comrades - Pavelychenko (sp?) and the lad who was playing LB who kept bombing forward.

We'll see what happens though. Apparently Arshavin has said his future won't be decided until after Euro 2008.

I would gladly sell every one of our players to bring in Arshavin, but unfortunately he should have far better offers from other clubs.

Our best bet is probably to go for players who didn't shine at the Euros, but would still be good purchases, like Gomis and Gomez.

We're being linked with a £6million move for Aaron Lennon, this morning (NoTW) - as ever, no quotes.

Also the more reliable Sunday Sun reckons that we've been in touch with Zaragoza about Pablo Aimar, with some quotes from his agent. Apparently the player is willing to talk to us, but as yet no formal offer has been made. Any takers for him? I remember when he was with Valencia (very highly rated), but would it be true to say his stock has fallen a bit since then?

• SI Staff

Aimar is a good shout for a move to the Premiership tbh. Zaragoza got relegated and he's probably on a high wage.

Not sure how well he would adapt though.

Aimar could be an interesting one. Possibly worth a gamble, and could be available quite cheap if he wants out and Zaragoza want him off the wage bill, plus he's still only 28.

He certainly couldn't do any worse in midfield than Alan Smith.

Originally posted by Ter:

Aimar is a good shout for a move to the Premiership tbh. Zaragoza got relegated and he's probably on a high wage.

Not sure how well he would adapt though.

we should be interested in looking at a few other players from them, D'Alessandro? Zapater? or have they moved on?

i think if anyone could get Aaron Lennon firing again it would be KK. we're being linked with all these players but nothing has come of it yet, if we don't make a move soon for players we're gonna miss out on the Lennons, Arshivins etc

Originally posted by joeyt:

Strange. Reports in France and on wiki (altho anyone can edit it) say we've signed Chamakh and will unveil him on July 1st

would be a great signing imo, scored a fair few goals for bordeaux iirc irl.

Ah another year, another thread, another big build up to summer signings.

Would love to see either Owen or Martins go for big money but can't see anyone of a decent side tempted by either.

Obviously same old same old - need a proven CB.

Need some sort of creative spark in midfield.

Need Barton to never be seen in a Newcastle shirt again.

Need the Keegan second coming to take its course...

Mon the King!! Mon the King!!

I’ll echo Macca’s comments on the Sunday Sun. Horrible paper for transfer stories, they just haven’t got any budget to pay for informants so just make stuff up.

Read the Lennon story and despite being title ‘I’ll rescue Aaron’ (or something like that) there wasn’t a single quote from Keegan, just a few snippets form a ‘top toon source’.

I’d be disappointed if we sold Milner for £7m and brought in Lennon for £6m, but I doubt either is likely.

• Administrators

Problem is, even if Lennon found his form he still isn't very good. He's quick and can beat a man, but get him to pass/cross/tackle/show any vision and you'll be struggling.

Have a few Spurs mates as fans and have seen a fair few of their games over the last few seasons. Wouldn't touch him unless I was certain I could change a very large amount about him, attitude included.

I won’t get too hung up on the Lennon stories until I see something happening.

The original story was in the NOTW on Sunday, with no quotes apart from a ‘Top Toon Source’ and has been picked up by the Journal, then the Chronicle, then the Guardian.

As far as I can see it’s just a case of one paper printing a rumour, which the others are all copying, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s all rubbish.

We have signed Richard Money as Academy Director

Tuesday's Journal carried confirmation that Newcastle have appointed Richard Money as Director of their Academy and Youth operations, with some quotes from the new man as follows:

“It is a wonderful job and I’m relishing the chance to get started. This was too big a club to turn down. I have enjoyed being a manager for the last four years but this job at Newcastle is too big a challenge and too big an opportunity to turn down.

“I have enjoyed my break - it was a very tough two years with a lot of hard work to do. And while I enjoyed being a manager this is at a different level and it is something I am relishing. I am really looking forward to it.â€

The Journal confirm that Money is in overall charge of all playing staff below first team level, from the U9s through to the reserve side - although there was no confirmation of how this will affect the managerial roles Joe Joyce (Academy) or Adam Sadler (reserves) currently occupy.

They also back up earlier claims that former player Alan Thompson has joined the coaching staff and will be responsible for the U15 and U16 age groups.

As a player, central defender Money was signed from his hometown club Lowestoft Town by Scunthorpe United, moving on to Fulham, Liverpool, Derby County, Luton Town and Portsmouth before returning to Scunny.

He was awarded one England "B" cap by Bobby Robson in 1979, lining up alongside Glenn Roeder and Kevin Bond - who also both went on to have coaching roles at SJP.

Coaching position at youth/reserve level saw him at Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest and Coventry City, while a first managerial appointment came at Scunthorpe and he was at Manchester City with Frank Clark for a spell.

Money has also coached in Sweden (with both AIK and Vasteras), Singapore and Australia (at Newcastle Jets), before returning to England and taking over at Walsall.

April 2008 saw him resign as manager after two years at the Bescot Stadium, where he'd been given the nickname Dicky Dosh by Saddlers supporters....

Pre-season schedule from .com;

2008/09:

Pre-season

Friendlies now confirmed by NUFC:

First Team:

Sat 19.07.08 Hartlepool United (a) @ 3pm.

A semi-regular jaunt down the A19 to face League One opposition, this was our opening fixture of last season when 6,030 fans saw Newcastle record a 3-1 success.

Sat 26.07.08 Doncaster Rovers (a) @ 3pm.

Our first visit to the Keepmoat Stadium forms part of the warm-up for Rovers as they prepare for the Championship.

Rovers old boy Kevin Keegan was in charge the last time we visited Donny in a first team friendly, drawing 1-1 at their former Belle Vue home back in August 1992.

Multi Media Sports Cup in Mallorca, Spain:

We return to the Son Moix (now renamed the ONO Estadi) in Palma, Mallorca where a 3-0 victory in the UEFA Cup came back in March 2004.

The four-team event features German and Spanish teams as well as ourselves (originally being a German/English event until Manchester City pulled out).

Games are played for the normal 3 points for a win, plus a point for each goal scored. Any draws after 90 minutes are decided on penalties, with 3 points to the winners.

Fri 01.08.08 Newcastle v Hertha Berlin (8pm)

Fri 01.08.08 RCD Mallorca v Hannover 96 (10pm)

Sun 03.08.08 Hannover 96 v Hertha Berlin (8pm)

Sun 03.08.08 Newcastle v RCD Mallorca (10pm)

Tue 05.08.08 or Wed 06.08.08 opposition tbc (h)

(not definite that this game will go ahead)

Sat 09.08.08 Valencia (h) @ KO tbc.

Ticket details for all pre-season games still TBC.

Reserves:

Fri 11.07.08 Bishop Auckland (a) @ Darlington Road. (Bishops ground share with West Auckland next season)

Tue 15.07.08 Newcastle Benfield (a) @ Sam Smiths.

Mon 21.07.08 Gateshead (a) @ International Stadium

Mon 28.07.08 Blyth Spartans (a) @ Croft Park

Wed 06.08.08 Newcastle Blue Star (a) @ Kingston Park

------------

I might try and get along to the stiffs' game at Blyth, but that will depend on work commitments.

Latest link today, is with the young Swiss striker - Derdyok (sp?) for £6million. He looked quite mobile for a striker in the games I saw him play during Euro 2008.

In the 103

Replacing the previous G14 group, European football clubs including Newcastle have banded together in a new organisation named the European Club Association.

103 clubs from the 53 nations that participate in UEFA competitions form the group, with membership being initially based on current rankings.

That means that Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and Newcastle represent England in the ECA, which will be based in the Swiss city of Geneva.

Taylor’s supposedly in talks over a new contract, putting him in line with other youngsters like N’Zogbia and Milner, which I don’t have a problem with. Comical on the ball as always…

Taylor will now get parity with United’s other top young players Milner and Charles N’Zogbia and this will disappoint teams like Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United, West Ham and Spurs who have been casting eyes in his direction.

Sure Rio and Terry are breathing a huge sigh of relief.

The title to the link didn't really makes sense.

For people who cba to open the link here it is:

Skysports.com understands Newcastle have won the race for Plymouth teenager Aaron Spear.

Spear has been one of the most sought-after young players in the country after impressing in Plymouth's youth teams.

A number of Premier League sides including Arsenal, Portsmouth and Everton have been tracking the 15-year-old but Newcastle have stolen a march on their rivals by luring the prodigious striker to Tyneside.

Spear held talks with Newcastle Executive Director Dennis Wise earlier this month and the teenager has plumped for the Magpies ahead of other clubs.

The youngster's mum, Caroline Spear, has confirmed the highly-rated youngster has agreed a deal to join Newcastle after being impressed by what they had to offer him.

"Aaron has agreed to join Newcastle and now we are waiting on the two clubs to agree a fee," Spear told skysports.com.

"We spent a couple of days up in Newcastle and met with Dennis Wise and we were very impressed by what he had to offer.

"A number of clubs had expressed an interest in Aaron, but he has decided he wants to go to Newcastle.

"We are very proud of him and we are excited about his future at Newcastle."

All that is required for the deal to be concluded is for the two clubs to agree a fee for the striker.

Spear is currently on schoolboy terms with the Pilgrims and the club would be entitled to receive a fee when he makes the move to St James' Park.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Administrators
Originally posted by mcelroys:

Never mind youngsters, get some bloody 1st teamers IN!, Always waiting till the last minute icon_mad.gif

That my friend, unless said in jest, is a ridiculous statement - well done.

Looks like Steve Round could be off to everton as Assistant Manager.

Toon coach can speak to Toffees

27 June 2008

By Miles Starforth

STEVE Round has been given permission to talk to Everton after the Goodison Park club made an approach for Newcastle United's first-team coach.

And the 37-year-old – brought to St James's Park by Sam Allardyce last summer – could be confirmed as David Moyes's new No 2 early next week.

Round is only contracted to United until the end of the month, though Kevin Keegan is understood to have been keen for him to extend his association with Newcastle.

However, he has not been offered a new deal, and Moyes – who has been looking for an assistant since Alan Irvine left to take charge of Preston North End midway through last season – has finally made his move for Steve McClaren's former Middlesbrough and England No 2.

Negotiations with Round's agent are expected to start over the weekend, when Everton's chief executive Keith Wyness returns from holiday.

This morning's Journal has us linked with a move for Julio Baptista from Real. Apparently he's been offered to a few clubs in England, and also Italy. Good signing or not? He's 26 years old and has premiership experience with Arsenal. Wages might be a problem though, if the club are looking to cut costs on that front.

Originally posted by Roj Blake:

This morning's Journal has us linked with a move for Julio Baptista from Real. Apparently he's been offered to a few clubs in England, and also Italy. Good signing or not? He's 26 years old and has premiership experience with Arsenal. Wages might be a problem though, if the club are looking to cut costs on that front.

Didn't he complain London was too cold? No chance him coming here then.

Archived