Sports Interactive Community
bassistuk

FM16 tactics screen discussion

Obviously taking into account we're all going in blind here without having used the new system yet etc, I have to commend vpaulus on his effort, they look crisp and clean and I hope, if possible they can be implemented into a skin eventually.

Version B

Shirt in central position, damn pie chart returns as it seems this is the element which is going to stay anyway. I polished the chart a bit, so it doesn't remind us 1970's sci-fi movies :) 4 and 5 players in midfield to check how it works.

fm16_tactics_screen_mockup_B.jpg

fm16_tactics_screen_mockup_B5.jpg

This is just beautiful! I would accept Version C also.

I'm not buying the "functionality" argument from SI/Miles.....I think they are just making a design so it's easier for the people to play the game on other platforms, other than desktops and laptops.

This is just beautiful! I would accept Version C also.

I'm not buying the "functionality" argument from SI/Miles.....I think they are just making a design so it's easier for the people to play the game on other platforms, other than desktops and laptops.

Which would fit the "functionality argument" that you're criticising.

Which would fit the "functionality argument" that you're criticising.

As I understood, yonko means (which I also completely agree with him) which functionality can not be done with shirts? if the game aims to be realistic, shirts must be returned back asap. Look at the tactics interfaces that various football platforms provide such as match reports, player profiles, discussion about team tactics. They all use shirts - which has a special meaning for supporters. Don't we collect shirts of the teams we support? Still do not think the changes in tactics screen design is necessary for functionality (the size of shirts could be increased to make it easy to use in tablets or phones) - as it is well said in this topic - we will see a custom skin with beautiful shirts that provides all functionality shown in video.

Some real life examples of shirts usage for tactics:

UEFA

real-marid-starting-lineup.jpg

FootballUser.com

madrid-starting-11.jpg

LineUp11

BwMwDSQIUAAcRih.png

ESPN

predictedrealmadridxitofaceatletico_800x450.jpg&w=738&site=espnfc

Soccer24

HFF8opi.jpg

As I understood, yonko means (which I also completely agree with him) which functionality can not be done with shirts?

And my point is that he kind of answered his own question. He complains about the functionality argument, then mentions different platforms. That could be the reason why they said it "didn't work", as they would rather have an interface that fits across all platforms to create some consistency and give it a "brand identity" or some other PR BS. In that case, it might not be the best way to represent the data on a high-resolution desktop, but the best way wouldn't work across all platforms, meaning they'd have to break the consistency. Fine from some/most users perspective, not by the people that actually make the game.

But again, I stress that making any argument beyond how it looks, and verging into functionality, is totally pointless conjecture at this stage. Including my example above.

As I understood, yonko means (which I also completely agree with him) which functionality can not be done with shirts? if the game aims to be realistic, shirts must be returned back asap. Look at the tactics interfaces that various football platforms provide such as match reports, player profiles, discussion about team tactics. They all use shirts - which has a special meaning for supporters. Don't we collect shirts of the teams we support? Still do not think the changes in tactics screen design is necessary for functionality (the size of shirts could be increased to make it easy to use in tablets or phones) - as it is well said in this topic - we will see a custom skin with beautiful shirts that provides all functionality shown in video.

[i've removed the vast number of examples posted by talhak for space, scroll up if you want to see them]

This isn't really a valid argument when you consider the fact the one thing we're trying to replicate (i.e a manager picking his side and showing his tactics) has always been done in the format below:

tactics-board.jpg

It's a bit of a pedantic argument mind using these kinds of examples (not for one second am I saying we should have discs, marker pens and the reintroduction of arrows!). :D

As the designer has actually said within this thread:

The change to zoomed shirts (it's still the kit, just zoomed in) rather than full shirts was made for a number of reasons, mainly to make better use of the limited space and limit overlaps, whilst still allowing for the role buttons, position comfort indicator and player name to be clearly displayed. Over recent versions we've had issues with overlaps and the kits becoming tiny depending on the formation set and resolution used. This change has helped that. All the changes made to this screen for FM16 were made based off the feedback from FM15 and to improve the usability of this screen. Hopefully once you all get to play around with the screen your opinions will change and will understand that the changes have made the screen easier to read and interactive with.

Are we saying the squares look better than the kits? No, we're not explicitly saying that. All we're saying is that due to the functionality and limitations based on space and limit overlaps, this was how we've chosen to go forward with this at this time. We very much appreciate all the feedback and I assure you a lot of what has been raised here has been discussed and considered.

Maybe Si should consider releasing screenshots to soon, FM16 is not fully prepared I guess and it would avoid comments based on a preview. Nevertheless, one argument is a bit confusing: there's limited space and shirts are zoomed to make better use of space ? :confused: Doesn't zoomed shirts occupy more space that is already limited ? :confused:

These zoomed shirts are the way to make it more easier for the FMTouch users, I'm guessing. (on touchscreen devices that is)

It's good for them, but for me, as I'm strictly PC and mouse user, it just don't make it. As I said before, I had no problems with functionality of tactics screen.

But as always, we have to use it first to know better.

Are we saying the squares look better than the kits? No, we're not explicitly saying that. All we're saying is that due to the functionality and limitations based on space and limit overlaps, this was how we've chosen to go forward with this at this time. We very much appreciate all the feedback and I assure you a lot of what has been raised here has been discussed and considered.

OK guys, it is very clear that you have decided to continue with the current design but I really wonder how you will explain your decision if you bring back shirts to tactics screen or someone will create a custom skin with shirts with providing all the functionality. Because here you say "we tried to combine aesthetics with functionality - but did not work."

OK guys, it is very clear that you have decided to continue with the current design but I really wonder how you will explain your decision if you bring back shirts to tactics screen or someone will create a custom skin with shirts with providing all the functionality. Because here you say "we tried to combine aesthetics with functionality - but did not work."

Why do they have to "explain" anything? :lol:

Why do they have to "explain" anything? :lol:

They already have explained why they have done it at this time anyway too. What happens after that is moot. Think it's often lost on people that designers are allowed to have their ideas too, and not just exist at the beck and call of users.

They already have explained why they have done it at this time anyway too. What happens after that is moot. Think it's often lost on people that designers are allowed to have their ideas too, and not just exist at the beck and call of users.

Seriously, this. Why would a designer have to explain anything? It's his choice, people will love or hate it. Already on this thread we have different opinions on it, so stop it with the " how will you explain it when..?". Anyone who doesn't like it can just get a skin for it. It's the same with clothes, cars and everything ; I don't see people complaining that Ferrari didn't build a car the way they wanted and with the some functionality.

I remember this time last year there was a thread where people were stating their age, just a short poll to see how old people playing FM are ; it was something like 30+ and this thread really doesn't prove it.

QJTUzYbKLxMo.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Clearly a big fuss over nothing - they've just had to stretch the shirts out to fit in Akinfenwa!

This thread has become circular, all sides have been represented and we know SI are aware of the feedback.

Nothing to be added so closed.