FM16 - First thoughts on the early disclosures.

can you explain the "extra detail"? aren't these the details of the head injuries? or how can the game explain a head injury?

At present with an injury there's three categories.

1. A knock where the only thing that happens is a hit on the Condition usually with no complications after the game

2. A Green injury. The player can carry on but we have no idea what kind of injury or if there will be any complications after the game where he misses matches.

3. A Red injury and the player has to come off.

Hopefully now we're told what kind of injury during the game so we can make a choice about whether to keep the player on or sub him when he has a green injury. Possibly even have the option to keep a Red injured player on the field under certain circumstances, like Steven Taylor during U21 Championships a few years ago.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At present with an injury there's three categories.

1. A knock where the only thing that happens is a hit on the Condition usually with no complications after the game

2. A Green injury. The player can carry on but we have no idea what kind of injury or if there will be any complications after the game where he misses matches.

3. A Red injury and the player has to come off.

Hopefully now we're told what kind of injury during the game so we can make a choice about whether to keep the player on or sub him when he has a green injury. Possibly even have the option to keep a Red injured player on the field under certain circumstances, like Steven Taylor during U21 Championships a few years ago.

we have already known the detail of injury through the commentary and its level by notification icons that show knock or serious injury.

I won't be purchasing as disappointed with the features and none have stood out enough like other inacarnations of the game to make me drop my current save, which generally they have done. The only one feature that appealed was the improvements to the set piece creator.

Instead of working on new features I wish SI would improve the existing ones ie new sounds and individual team chants would enhance the matchday experience rather than a new customised graphic on the touchline of yourself as manager. Other improvements could be on the advice the assistants give to you during a match - they do not reflect any of advice given in any of the tactical guides produced by the fans - never do they tell you to ease off tackles or never close down for players who have pace and good at dribbling etc.. this area could be vastly improved imo

I'll be waiting for FM17 now to see what other features / improvements are put in the game - which is the first time since the games release I have decided not to buy it

I appreciate all of that, I do.

I would make the point that SI / SEGA (whoever makes pricing decision) do clearly think that the pricing point is appropriate, however the point being raised here is whether people on this forum think the pricing point is fair for something that some might not really regard as significantly different enough to be considered a new game.

The issue would be to new players of the franchise who have not bought a copy of the game before it would be a new game and not an update so that would justify the £30 spend.

TBF the new features have been massively disappointing, if of course if that's it.

I still think transfer's are unbelievably unrealistic on the current version as mentioned before this needs fixing, and yes yes yes I've heard all the...Depends on the contract...if the offer is viable.. we've toned down the transfers to stop exploiting it, etc etc etc... and on that note..

How is it exploiting it?

- You buy a player on the cheap

- He plays well

- Teams interested in signing him

- You demand a fee that is a "VIABLE" fee on his current form etc etc etc

- You make a tidy profit.

Don't most managers do that season in season out anyway?

Until the transfer system is addressed to be on par with IRL transfers, I'l be missing this one too.

You don't have to assume it. You're being told that it is, both in the announcements and by us. You can also see it for yourself in-game when the game is released. Just a quick scan reveals these changes:

None of these were hidden. More features are still being announced / more detail being revealed.

Surely at some point people will read this: http://www.footballmanager.com/football-manager-2016-features-plus

Surely at some point people will read this: http://www.footballmanager.com/football-manager-2016-features-plus

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the announcements here as well?

I mean, this is the official forum, so surely it would make sence to have the announcements here as well?!

And by that i don't mean just a link.

People playing the game are advised to come here, for various reasons, so why don't (SI) they use this channel in a more visible way themselves?

The announcements this year have felt non-existant. Very anonymous, from a personal point of view.

Make it visible. for as many as you can.

"Injuries will now be determined during matches"

I take it that means that we might have a better idea the potential injury of the player before we decide to take him off?

That would be my guess as well, which would be a great improvement. :)

You don't have to assume it. You're being told that it is, both in the announcements and by us. You can also see it for yourself in-game when the game is released. Just a quick scan reveals these changes:

None of these were hidden. More features are still being announced / more detail being revealed.

Yes, look at all the detail given on the (desperately neccessary) vast AI squad building improvements. One single Tweet on one single function, plus eleven words in a line paragragh mixed in with a bunch of other generic of 'Much, Much More' features.

No headlines, no explanation of how they are improved.

(Glad the AI managers will actually deal with player unrest now rather than simply Transfer Listingm that won't be enough to convince to to buy the new game though.)

Yes, look at all the detail given on the (desperately neccessary) vast AI squad building improvements. One single Tweet on one single function, plus eleven words in a line paragragh mixed in with a bunch of other generic of 'Much, Much More' features.

No headlines, no explanation of how they are improved.

(Glad the AI managers will actually deal with player unrest now rather than simply Transfer Listingm that won't be enough to convince to to buy the new game though.)

Because detailed talking about coding (the kind of stuff that is talked about behind closed doors) doesn't translate well in to 140 word tweets. You'd have to wait till closer to the time for the more detailed info.

As it says they are posting each day from both Miles and the Football manager accounts.

Because detailed talking about coding (the kind of stuff that is talked about behind closed doors) doesn't translate well in to 140 word tweets. You'd have to wait till closer to the time for the more detailed info.

As it says they are posting each day from both Miles and the Football manager accounts.

What about the not limited to 140 characters paragraphs of updates telling us all about Design-A-Manager and Create-A-Team for a part of the game that only a section of the fanbase actually use?

What about the not limited to 140 characters paragraphs of updates telling us all about Design-A-Manager and Create-A-Team for a part of the game that only a section of the fanbase actually use?

The ones that are easy to explain? Those ones?

Are you actually reading what you replied to, or just determined to rage at nothing?

Every year 'personal life' is requested as a feature. From the manager's point of view in terms of actually doing something with the salary they earn as opposed to just making them less sackable due to the high salary. Additionally from the players perspective, being homesick is as far as it goes. What about the scandals Suarez(biting/racism), Terry (Racism) etc into it?

It seems the direction they want to take FM in is now tweaking it so it looks better aesthetically and connectivity to social media 'stream'.

Every year 'personal life' is requested as a feature. From the manager's point of view in terms of actually doing something with the salary they earn as opposed to just making them less sackable due to the high salary.

Being requested often doesn't make it a good idea. SI have said in the past that personal life uses for salary will not be added. I'm very glad about that.

What about the scandals Suarez(biting/racism), Terry (Racism) etc into it?
Possible legal issues make this a no-go area, for one thing.

The ones that are easy to explain? Those ones?

Are you actually reading what you replied to, or just determined to rage at nothing?

Are you? Or are you just determined to leap to the defense of something?

Tthe improvements I and many others are looking for aren't difficult to explain.

Wide Ranging AI Squad Management Improvements

'We have worked and tweaked with the AI squad building code. AI managers will now have a clear sucession plan for their teams. For example, an AI manager will no longer simply look at a player's current reputation in deciding who to sign and which high rated future stars to transfer list based on a current low reputation and CA. AI managers will also be much less likely to buy 'hot property' players based on their current reputation, but actually by their ability and suitability for that manager's team. AI managers will never again sign a Marquinhos for big money then promptly consign him to the reserves until he either leaves for a low transfer listed fee, or free.'

There, easy. Actually making the code work that way obviously isn't, and I understand that, but something or anything along those lines would be appreciated. 'Improvements to the AI et cetera' are mentioned every year, then inevitably in the days and weeks after release there are the same old complaints that clubs fall apart after a couple of seasons because of idiotic AI decision making.

Every year 'personal life' is requested as a feature. From the manager's point of view in terms of actually doing something with the salary they earn as opposed to just making them less sackable due to the high salary. Additionally from the players perspective, being homesick is as far as it goes. What about the scandals Suarez(biting/racism), Terry (Racism) etc into it?

It seems the direction they want to take FM in is now tweaking it so it looks better aesthetically and connectivity to social media 'stream'.

But they have added personal life things - you can do your coaching courses which can be paid by your or supplemented by the club... They also included a 'son' feature... what else do you want to do? Get married, walk the dog, go on holidays to the carribean...?

Tthe improvements I and many others are looking for aren't difficult to explain.

'We have worked and tweaked with the AI squad building code. AI managers will now have a clear sucession plan for their teams. For example, an AI manager will no longer simply look at a player's current reputation in deciding who to sign and which high rated future stars to transfer list based on a current low reputation and CA. AI managers will also be much less likely to buy 'hot property' players based on their current reputation, but actually by their ability and suitability for that manager's team. AI managers will never again sign a Marquinhos for big money then promptly consign him to the reserves until he either leaves for a low transfer listed fee, or free.'

There, easy. Actually making the code work that way obviously isn't, and I understand that, but something or anything along those lines would be appreciated. 'Improvements to the AI et cetera' are mentioned every year, then inevitably in the days and weeks after release there are the same old complaints that clubs fall apart after a couple of seasons because of idiotic AI decision making.

The AI hasn't bought or sold players on reputation alone or as a primary factor for years, in fact the reason you see instances of players being bought & not used is because of SI's attempts to make player purchase based more on scout recommendation, current & medium range form, preferred formations & whether the player matches their preferred roles.

Like clockwork, there it is, a "defenders of the faith" argument. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so predictable :rolleyes:

I suspect the reason they don't do anything like that is because the modules are so large, and the changes so small relatively that they'd be there forever describing them. New features are self-contained, and easy to describe. The behaviour you're talking about will probably not have been directly addressed, but will form part of the AI changes. Is that really that hard to understand? Or would you rather they wrote a 400 page change document that you could go over at your leisure?

The AI hasn't bought or sold players on reputation alone or as a primary factor for years, in fact the reason you see instances of players being bought & not used is because of SI's attempts to make player purchase based more on scout recommendation, current & medium range form, preferred formations & whether the player matches their preferred roles.

So why did they sign the players in the first place then?

Like clockwork, there it is, a "defenders of the faith" argument. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so predictable :rolleyes:

I suspect the reason they don't do anything like that is because the modules are so large, and the changes so small relatively that they'd be there forever describing them. New features are self-contained, and easy to describe. The behaviour you're talking about will probably not have been directly addressed, but will form part of the AI changes. Is that really that hard to understand? Or would you rather they wrote a 400 page change document that you could go over at your leisure?

You accuse me of seeking out 'something from nothing' to 'rage about', in turn dismissing my point. Yet when I suggest you might be defending something for the sake of defending it when there is a perfectly valid point, it is predictably laughable.

Love your logic.

Strawman my point all you like - no a 400 word essay isn't what I'm looking for - but more detail than five or six words here and there would certainly be appreciated. It might not interest everybody, but then again Design-A-Manger might not either.

I won't be purchasing as disappointed with the features and none have stood out enough like other inacarnations of the game to make me drop my current save, which generally they have done. The only one feature that appealed was the improvements to the set piece creator.

Instead of working on new features I wish SI would improve the existing ones ie new sounds and individual team chants would enhance the matchday experience rather than a new customised graphic on the touchline of yourself as manager. Other improvements could be on the advice the assistants give to you during a match - they do not reflect any of advice given in any of the tactical guides produced by the fans - never do they tell you to ease off tackles or never close down for players who have pace and good at dribbling etc.. this area could be vastly improved imo

I'll be waiting for FM17 now to see what other features / improvements are put in the game - which is the first time since the games release I have decided not to buy it

Every year SI are criticised for bringing out a game with loads of new features that some claim don't work properly. A bit like Windows Vista then Windows 7 and now Windows 8 and Windows 10. I would quite like it if SI are going on a cycle of Revamp then polish it works for apple Iphone 5 iphone s - iphone 6 - iphone 6s)

I would say that in many ways FM16 will be similar to FM15, there will be changes, but by introducing less new features they can dedicate time to improving the features already added. For this reason, I have a feeling that FM16 will be right up there. I could be wrong of course, but in a few weeks we will all know one way or the other.

Answered already.

You accuse me of seeking out 'something from nothing' to 'rage about', in turn dismissing my point. Yet when I suggest you might be defending something for the sake of defending it when there is a perfectly valid point, it is predictably laughable.

Love your logic.

Strawman my point all you like - no a 400 word essay isn't what I'm looking for - but more detail than five or six words here and there would certainly be appreciated. It might not interest everybody, but then again Design-A-Manger might not either.

Not sure I used a lot of those words. Once again you manage to fall into the trap of equating disagreeing with you with an undieing love for an inanimate piece of software. You're not the first, and won't be the last. I know it might shock you, but people might actually have different faults with the game than you do. They might even not particularly care about something you feel strongly about, and yet feel strongly about something else. But yeah, even if that was true, surely they must just be defending the game for the sake of it. Those cheeky scamps.

But since I'm apparently saying you're "raging", and making "something from nothing" (which I didn't, but let's play the game), let's go into it more. The AI module is a huge one, probably second only to the match engine. As such, they probably haven't directly tackled the issue you're talking about (which I mentioned, and you ignored previously. Can't think why.), and have simply improved the AI. Like they said in their change list. But what will that entail? Who knows, outside of SI? Probably just means the AI will be improved. Will it fix your specific bugbear? It might, but believe it or not, they might not know if it's fixed. That's especially true given it's not a black and white thing. Are the AI squads built better now? Depends what your definition of better is I suppose. And you can rest assured that if they put that specific thing on the list of features (which they wouldn't anyway, as it's a pretty tedious thing to put on the list to most people, which you've addressed), and someone decided that they hadn't improved it enough for their liking, they'd be pilloried.

So again, can you see why they might not outline every single little thing they've changed within that module?

Every year SI are criticised for bringing out a game with loads of new features that some claim don't work properly. A bit like Windows Vista then Windows 7 and now Windows 8 and Windows 10. I would quite like it if SI are going on a cycle of Revamp then polish it works for apple Iphone 5 iphone s - iphone 6 - iphone 6s)

I would say that in many ways FM16 will be similar to FM15, there will be changes, but by introducing less new features they can dedicate time to improving the features already added. For this reason, I have a feeling that FM16 will be right up there. I could be wrong of course, but in a few weeks we will all know one way or the other.

But they get criticised by some for releasing a game that's just a reskinned data update. That would only intensify if they did what you asked. I can see both sides - they're pretty notorious for it sometimes taking two editions for them to really settle into a feature - but if they were to publicly say that FM17 was just going to be a few small tweaks from FM16, they'd get slaughtered for it. I personally wouldn't want to buy what would essentially be a data update, so I'm happy enough to settle for them at least trying to innovate, even if it means that some things are a bit shonky to start with. I think I've only ever had one new feature not work so much that it ruins a save, and one other that was fixed in an update.

no a 400 word essay isn't what I'm looking for - but more detail than five or six words here and there would certainly be appreciated. It might not interest everybody, but then again Design-A-Manger might not either.

It isn't a big part of a 'flashy' media announcement, because it's not particularly exciting. That's why you only get minor mentions of these things. It does get worked on every version. Every version you can see it too, if you look.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the announcements here as well?

I mean, this is the official forum, so surely it would make sence to have the announcements here as well?!

And by that i don't mean just a link.

People playing the game are advised to come here, for various reasons, so why don't (SI) they use this channel in a more visible way themselves?

The announcements this year have felt non-existant. Very anonymous, from a personal point of view.

Make it visible. for as many as you can.

I agree, I think they could take a leaf out of Paradox's book and just post the 'tweets' as a weekly on-going development diary. Paradox are doing that for their newest game Hearts of Iron 4, and if you look at the diaries, they're very short blurbs on small new features, or key changes as to how something works. The fans lap it up like chow and the devs hang around to answer any curious questions.

I'm not saying that's the right way to do it, but it certainly is an interesting approach and it is far more accessible than just sticking it up on Twitter. - I didn't even know there was a summary of all the tweets so far on the official site, in fact I got that summary of tweets from an unofficial fan site. Maybe that's my fault, maybe I'm missing a big sticky on these forums linking it to it, but there shouldn't be any harm in having the features put up here. :D

I agree, I think they could take a leaf out of Paradox's book and just post the 'tweets' as a weekly on-going development diary. Paradox are doing that for their newest game Hearts of Iron 4, and if you look at the diaries, they're very short blurbs on small new features, or key changes as to how something works. The fans lap it up like chow and the devs hang around to answer any curious questions.

I'm not saying that's the right way to do it, but it certainly is an interesting approach and it is far more accessible than just sticking it up on Twitter. - I didn't even know there was a summary of all the tweets so far on the official site, in fact I got that summary of tweets from an unofficial fan site. Maybe that's my fault, maybe I'm missing a big sticky on these forums linking it to it, but there shouldn't be any harm in having the features put up here. :D

I wouldn't agree with doing it that way (not sure why, just doesn't seem like SI's style) but the marketing in general does seem a bit all over the place this year. Last year there was the long video Miles did on each feature, and that was that I think. Very well done, gave an in-depth look at what was coming, job done. Now it seems like they're leaning heavily on social media, and while they've put the same information up elsewhere, it has been a bit scattered. I only found that summary of tweets after delving into the SI Insider mail that gets routinely filed away due to having pretty much nothing useful for a while.

Can we stop the petty bickering and keep on topic, everyone?

I meant if the AI has signed players based on all those factors, why am I seeing instances of players being signed and not used.

Because the player signed isn't as good as the players already there. I expect this to be much better in FM16.

So why did they sign the players in the first place place.
Likey answer is they bought the player based on form but a known issue with the way matchday squads are selected causing the next issue.

The situation that you mention where they get little or no game time has nothing to do with the transfer AI, that is doing exactly what it sounds like you'd like it to do.

Likey answer is they bought the player based on form but a known issue with the way matchday squads are selected causing the next issue.

The situation that you mention where they get little or no game time has nothing to do with the transfer AI, that is doing exactly what it sounds like you'd like it to do.

What does the transfer listing of highly rated youngsters from within the club come under, out of interest? Squad selection being a completely seperate and specific issue makes sense. If that is sorted for FM16 then it should be a big help.

Doesn't address the issue of too many 'good form but actually average' players being signed though, but it's a start.

Doesn't address the issue of too many 'good form but actually average' players being signed though, but it's a start.

Those players shouldn't be seen as 'actually average' though. AI is signing them because they have excelled at a lower reputation club. If they gave them a chance quite a few of them would probably do well enough and earn their place as rotation players. The problem in FM15 is that AI squad selection is a rigid process of sorting players by their (perceived) CA and the ones who end up far down the list get instantly transfer listed/sent to reserves. Hopefully that's improved for FM16 and all those players actually get a go before being discarded.

In many respects signing players based on current or last seasons form very realistic, the bigger issue is that we are allow massive scouting teams when compared to real life & that unlike real life we have a fairly well defined system for identifying the best players available.

Without any other influencing factors the transfer AI is actually very robust & a lot more realistic in its under the hood behaviour than people realise or at willing to accept.

HUNT3R is correct that we've allowed this thread become somewhat hijacked so I'd suggest that if you want to have a discussion on the wider aspects of transfer AI then a new thread would be in order, I'm more than happy to have that conversation.

High numbers of scouts are currently necessary as general knowledge is desperately low. If # of scouts gets decreased - definitely not averse to this - general knowledge has to come way, way up. On a Football Weekly a few weeks ago, Rafa Honeigstein argued persuasively and at some length that part of the decline of Arsene Wenger can be attributed to the rise of cable football and Youtube.

My question is when it comes to creating teams in fm16, will the academy show up on the left bar... when i went to go create a MLS team or editor the name of a current one the academy would not show up on the left side panel however for normal real life MLS teams it would show up there.. My main focus is to create a MLS team ad add it into the league however it will only happen if this is fixed not sure if it is added into fm16 or not that is why i am asking

Why would any long-term player of the series decide whether to buy the game or not based on a handful of revealed new features? Surely by now, you'll all know what the core game will entail? Fair enough if you've never bought the game before, but I'm seeing people who have been posters for years saying they're going to skip this one because they're disappointed with the announced features. And what I'm trying to work out, is exactly why they buy every other version. Certainly over the last few versions, I don't recall any announced new feature being completely ground-breaking, it's nearly always some new cosmetic change that gets heavily pushed in these things.

Bizarre.

Why would any long-term player of the series decide whether to buy the game or not based on a handful of revealed new features? Surely by now, you'll all know what the core game will entail? Fair enough if you've never bought the game before, but I'm seeing people who have been posters for years saying they're going to skip this one because they're disappointed with the announced features. And what I'm trying to work out, is exactly why they buy every other version. Certainly over the last few versions, I don't recall any announced new feature being completely ground-breaking, it's nearly always some new cosmetic change that gets heavily pushed in these things.

Bizarre.

3d, adding/removing leagues, dynamic league reputation and FM classic.

Pretty groundbreaking if you ask me.

Bizarre.

Yeah, to be honest Dave, he's got you there. Those were all pretty huge things.

But the core point is fair enough. I suspect those who mash away at the keyboards saying how they're never buying another FM game just because they don't like the things announced will probably end up buying it anyway. Like Kriss says, some people just need to talk.

• Administrators
I meant if the AI has signed players based on all those factors, why am I seeing instances of players being signed and not used.

Filipe Luis, Juan Cuardardo and Baba Rahman all say hello.

The AI is worked on every year to improve the logic and sanity, but if it was perfect then it also wouldn't be realistic. Teams do sometimes sign players who can't get a game. The code is in-depth and looks at a number of factors as suggested earlier in this thread but of course there are limitations. When working on something as complex as AI there will be.

Do the AI managers adjust their tactics to the squad or they come again with the same old prefferred formations? For example managers who use wingerless formations like 4-3-1-2 buying wingers and so on...

Why is the AI limited to some preset formations and can't make dynamic decision based on the squad or team they are facing?

Filipe Luis, Juan Cuardardo and Baba Rahman all say hello.

The AI is worked on every year to improve the logic and sanity, but if it was perfect then it also wouldn't be realistic. Teams do sometimes sign players who can't get a game. The code is in-depth and looks at a number of factors as suggested earlier in this thread but of course there are limitations. When working on something as complex as AI there will be.

i just loaded my save and was intrigued to see a new players is joining my team. it's 20 yrs old forward i bought last year and left on loan at his club so i completely forgot about him. once he came it became obvious he is veeery average that i bought for 5 million euros. his previous transfer was 17k. so obviously it isn't only AI that buys players they will never use.

now that i think about it, he was probably good potential when i bought him but he stagnated quite a bit and i doubt he will be good to get into first team. so loan it is for him :D

3d was around FM10 was it not? FM Classic started in FM13. I was more referring to the last couple of versions. FM14 and FM15's big feature announcements weren't anything bigger than this one. And yet they were arguably the two best games in the whole series. As I'm sure the forthcoming one will be.

Indeed. Especially FM15 was a step down compared to previous versions, and unfortunately FM16 seems to be following that trend...

We've still got about a month or so until the Beta. Even if the announcements seem underwhelming to a lot of people there's no real basis for passing judgement until we get the chance to actually play it a bit.

"In my opinion" is a key phrase but everybody here seems to think they have the inalienable right to be seen as correct.

Is it really necessary to state explicitly when you're offering your own subjective opinion? Maybe I'm just naive and my faith in humanity (= my fellow forum users) is just too great, but I would think e.g. my post above (#545) is clearly subjective and not claiming to be factual in any way... :confused:

Archived