FM16 - First thoughts on the early disclosures.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't understand people saying FM15 match engine is rubbish...I had real difficulty with the previous versions but the 3D match engine in my view has been absolutely quality, tactics do frustrate me but that probably bodes from wanting to win every single game you play and getting in a sulk when something doesn't go quite right. FM for the price is the most value for money I've ever had!

It comes down to opinions. To me the match engine has started to feel repetitive and forced. My small tactical changes do not seem to transfer themselves to the match I watch unfold on the screen. I noticed this more when I went back to FM13 where players seemed to respond more to my instructions. FM15 has seemed easier because I have simply had to think less and react less with my tactics and still get wins. In saying that, it is only an opinion and I am sure many would disagree.

Anyone know how many animations are currently in the game? I can't really judge how significant 2000 is. Though it sounds like a lot.

2,000 is a lot, and I believe that figure is actually quite a lot lower than the actual number of new animations that will be in FM16. On average, around 200-500 new animations are added each year. It's a massive amount of work to capture an animation, link it to an event in the Match Engine and then ensure that the new animations blend in with other animations either side of the event to form a coherent sequence of action.

are the wide striker positions back for '16?

A player picked in those positions performed no differently than one in the wide AM positions, according to SI anyway.

I had a formation with an SL and AMR, and the SL always appeared to play further forward and pin the full back down more, that may have been more down to the attributes of the players involved though.

I swear this is the last FM i buy( probably not :D ) if those ridiculos scorelines when AI is using 3 man defence suicidal formations are back. It's an issue since FM 14 at least.

Totally agree with this. In my save of FM15 Liverpool have won the title (second season 2015/2016) using 33211 which somehow bombs about 5 players forward and yet they have a blanket defence that plays like two blocks of four when defending and I have no idea how they do it!! They banged in 106 goals, conceding 34 and scored three goals 7 times, four goals 11 times, five goals once and seven once with Balotelli topping the scoring charts with 28 sharing the accolade with those other real life scoring monsters Oliver Giroud and Radmael Falcao!!!!

I'm hoping that this year SI realise that the Premier League isn't blessed with invincibles these days and Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal and even Chelsea and Man United are not kings of their own manor anymore and in fact certainly Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal haven't been for a long time. I have always wondered how the same sides like Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs are so overpowered each year when they haven't really won anything for years and how certain players like Balotelli are unplayable whereas some like Rooney are no more than average!!

how certain players like Balotelli are unplayable whereas some like Rooney are no more than average!!

When FM15 was released, both Balotelli and particularly Falcao were regarded among the world's best strikers. Kinda hard for FM to predict their sharp decline in such a short timeframe.

Totally agree with this. In my save of FM15 Liverpool have won the title (second season 2015/2016) using 33211

In 2020 in my current save, Udinese finished thirteenth in Serie A. They played a 3-3-4 formation. Three central defenders, one defensive midfielder, two attacking wingbacks, one attacking midfielder and three full strikers. It was the oddest formation I've seen an AI adopt.

When FM15 was released, both Balotelli and particularly Falcao were regarded among the world's best strikers. Kinda hard for FM to predict their sharp decline in such a short timeframe.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh re Falcao as that is a major decline of Torres proportions but bar one season maybe at Milan Balotelli has never really been prolific and is a bit good in FM even by top player standards IMO.

Yes the Manager on the Touchline is purely cosmetic, but as there is a subs bench there with subs then he, (or she), is conspicuious by their absence. (Related to that, I wonder if there is a female version for female players?)

The Fantasy Draft looks like an excellent addition. So many people say that on-line is the future and this gives that area more depth. I will definitely be giving this one a go with my son. (I wonder if you can have AI managed teams in these competitions too?)

Build a club seems like an excellent addition for FMC'ers who don't have access to the editor, (I don't think). It's not for me at all, but I can see it's something that others would like so it makes sense to include it. (Personally I'm glad it's only in FMC and not in full-fat too).

The development/improvement of the Prozone Match Analysis looks like it is a step in the right direction. While it's not something I use now, it is certainly a very valuable tool in the early stages of developing a tactic when you are trying to work out what is going right or wrong.

I haven't taken press conferences in ages, and it's certainly an area that could be improved. It certainly adds to big games.

Design a son? No. Not for me. I think "son in the game" is a simply fantastic feature and I have been lucky enough to have 2 produced over the years, but no no no no no to genetic engineering, (even FM genetic engineering).

Player Injuries was something that hasn't really troubled me since the out of the box CM4 made it look like the Welsh and Irish Rugby Union teams. Improvement in this area is great because it's an omportant are for realism. I particularly like the improved feedback in-match.

Team-talks in general underwhelm me a little, (like press conferences), but maybe with more variations I might be encouraged to have another go.

I really like the look of the Team Tactics screen. Has it been dumbed down a tad? (Shame on you SI!)

Suggested subs is a good development, (but for the love of God please let it be something that is tickable).

Love that non-retired players can now return for testimonials. (I PROPER LOVE THAT!)

Player insurance is another step closer to realism.

Improved info with WP's is good for the idiots who don't have a brain, (and for the rest of us, loans to cover the WP period is an excellent addition).

Manager rep moving from 6 point scale to 20m point scale is actually quite a big development and whill hopefully help those who like a Journeyman save.

Improved Ass Man advice is always a good thing, (but again, I hope it is all tickable).

Saff screen looks decent.

I wonder if there are arrows for staff now as well as players when an attribute improves?

The new scout report screen looks less "busy" than in FM15.

Top players retiring while still at the top adds realism, unless you are Becks, or Henry, and of course then there is Robbie Keane, oh, and Fat Frank and Stevie G, and Kaka is over there collecting $'s too, and I see that Joe Cole has just gone on loan to Coventry, but other than that..... yeah that's realism isn't it? (Obviously not convinced but willing to listen).

Player birthdays in commentary. (Great, but I want lots of stuff like that added in). He's scored against his old/favourite/next club).

Late fitness tests seems like added realism. (Can't be bad especially in line with revamped injuries).

Talking point highlights sounds good, but what's the difference between talking point and key?

Improved contract offer screen is much needed. (well done).

Scout report how "marketable" a player is. (???confused??? You mean in terms of merchandise?).

Player condition bar in match is good, (but even better is that it is tickable to let us control if we want it or not).

New Formations? (I haven't played with a pre-set formation for...... well, years).

Love the new stats. (REALLY love that).

Language improvements seem look a good addition.

Social Team sharer is great, (just so long as the problems associated with signing into things like YouTube have been fixed).

Improvement in area of Director of Football is another step in the right direction. (If it's going to be in, then let's get it in properly).

What may or may not already be in the game that I would like to see....

Variable Rivals.

I want to know exactly what a key pass definition, (and other stats), is and I want it accurate within the game. (ooh when did :seagull: come back?) :eek:

Arrows for improved/decreased staff attributes.

Competition all-time player records for all competitions.

The U17 World Cup has been in the db as an inactive competition for some time, I guess maybe to give players achievements for winning it.

But like you I've wondered why they didn't activate it. Might attract some attention to your wonderkid regen if he smashes everything on the international stage... ;)

Perhaps because of the same rules that means that SI can't have real players under the aged of 17 in the database?

Or more specifically, probably because most clubs don't have players under 17 year old and that would skew the results, or make it far too random.

Perhaps because of the same rules that means that SI can't have real players under the aged of 17 in the database?

You say that as if you know you are correct.

I know you are wrong and I even doubted myself.

There is no rule in FM that prohibits real players under the age of 17 being in the database. :lol:

Matt%20Stevens_zps3fxsreor.png

You say that as if you know you are correct.

I know you are wrong and I even doubted myself.

There is no rule in FM that prohibits real players under the age of 17 being in the database. :lol:

Matt%20Stevens_zps3fxsreor.png

He was definitely correct, for child protection reasons football manager cannot disclose players under the age of 17, however this can be wavered with parental consent from the player themselves. A good example of this is Martin Odegaard who missed the release date of last years game due to being under 17, he was only added on after a viral campaign alerted his parents of the matter and in response they sent in a form granting their consent.

I then signed him for my Burnley career and he smashed it up for me!!

Again, it's under 16.

And I bet there's quite a few 15 year old players and those 16 year olds who were born after September 1st, which is the cutoff date for 16 year olds, who have played or potentially will play in the U17 tournament. So possibly the tournament isn't playable because of those same chikl protection laws.

Matt Stevens was included at 16 because he was born before September 1st, so according to child protection laws can be included. If his birthday was after that date, like Odegaard, then parental permission has to be given.

I honestly dont care for any of the "major" features.

Its all the little improvements in interested in.

Same here, and they look great so far. Lots and lots of small things that'll make the game more fun to play (and actually create-a-club could be fun). It looks promising so far. :)

They still did not mention a word about the ME. I presume its the same faulty 2015 ME that is being used. Instead of investing on ME improvements, they add meagre features that most players do not care about and label it as a new edition. Very disappointing to say the least.

They still did not mention a word about the ME. I presume its the same faulty 2015 ME that is being used. Instead of investing on ME improvements, they add meagre features that most players do not care about and label it as a new edition. Very disappointing to say the least.

And that's why you should never presume. The ME is always getting updates. This happens every single year.

And that's why you should never presume. The ME is always getting updates. This happens every single year.

Really? There was so much feedback on match engine deficiencies with regards to FM15 and despite the coders giving assurances that the feedback are taken on board and improvements will be made,nothing much was addressed eventually. Instead the ME feedback thread was removed and we are told to wait for FM16. I'll give FM16 a pass this time. No thanks. Too many empty promises and I've decided enough is enough. No point paying another $50 for just a transfer patch.

Really? There was so much feedback on match engine deficiencies with regards to FM15 and despite the coders giving assurances that the feedback are taken on board and improvements will be made,nothing much was addressed eventually. Instead the ME feedback thread was removed and we are told to wait for FM16. I'll give FM16 a pass this time. No thanks. Too many empty promises and I've decided enough is enough. No point paying another $50 for just a transfer patch.

Updates are issued up till the final patch, at which point they turn to the next iteration where more aggressive changes can be made. Compare the change list from 15.3 to FM16 when its released, and see if there are no changes...

Such a clueless comment.

If you knew anything about SI or FM you would know that the ME is constantly updated.

Given that you thought the FM15 ME was "faulty" maybe its best if you do give it a miss tbh.

Such a clueless comment.

If you knew anything about SI or FM you would know that the ME is constantly updated.

Given that you thought the FM15 ME was "faulty" maybe its best if you do give it a miss tbh.

I agree with the part about the ME, every year it has improved and I expect 16 to be no different. It's the part of the game that always keeps me happy.

Not bothered about new features I just want:

Better transfers: it seems that later in the game even "bargain players" have high price tags due to thier pa/ca

AI Improving players: Whats the point of loaning out players in fm15 if it does nothing to improve the player at ai controlled clubs?? also the big teams buy hot prospects who never reach thier potential.

Better match engine: It seems in FM15, the more touches a striker has, the less likely he is to score. Players miss one on ones if theyve dribbled for 3 touches or more. I would also like to see less tight angle shots that are saved by the keeper and would prefer my players to pass across to the player in the middle. Also i would like to see diving headers and fouls by goalkeepers even sendings off.

Stadium expansion: Playing as blackburn i moved into a 48k all seater stadium. But now it cant be expanded due to planning permission.

Better scouting: In long term saves, my scouts have no one to reccommend and if they do, its players in player controlled teams.

Squad rotation: It seems to me that european, and cup matches dont count as matches. So for example if you are rotating your squad and playing one team in the league and then resting them for a rotated squad player in the cup, the rotated squad player can become unhappy for not playing matches even when he is.

TV Money: Im hoping in fm16 the new tv money for the premiership is included, even though some players might find this too easy as they can buy lots, it should improve competition in said league.

Staff Adverts: When placing and advert for new staff, the applicants are mostly useless. This makes it hard to find u21 managers, u18 coaches etc.

These are just a few gripes from the top of my head, not sure right thread but no worries.

Good video tonight about the new GK animations, some really good work in terms of keepers making better saves, hopefully this will cut down the amount of poor animations that have dogged that particular position for a few versions now.

It will probably result in the return of "Super Keeper" claims :brock:

I blame the lake of competition for the stagnation.

SI have no motive to improve and haven’t come up with anything remotely innovative for years but why would they bother taking risks?

I'm not hating, this is the best managment game we have.

I think it's Football Games in general, such as FIFA, PES & also FM. it is hard to become innovative in football games up to a certain point. tbh

However FM would benefit from more Game Modes, which will make it more entertaining. It will be different then the usual career Mode, such as the Challenges game mode.

I like the new Draft Fantasy Online game mode announced for FM 16

More innovative features such as that is what is needed.

Some of them are definitely optional. Have a look at Miles' replies on his twitter when he posted about it.

Can't find anything. But that is just me not understanding Twitter as i don't use it myself. I just see a big messy clusterf. :D

Seeing that i wish even more that it was possible to toggle the players names above each player in 3D.

Above the condition bar perhaps?

You can I'm sure I seen miles reply to a tweet you can have player names instead off the condition bar doubt you'd be able to have both though

Someone from reddit has put my thoughts about the GK video into words:

What the [heck] are the defenders doing in these clips?

Two defenders stood on top of eachother: http://i.imgur.com/47CYhCw.jpg

Two pairs doing it at the same time: http://i.imgur.com/aDKe6Aw.jpg

Six players incapable of taking care of two attackers: http://i.imgur.com/PVZwMX3.png

Dropping behind the other defenders to mark someone who is offside instead of pressuring the player on the ball: http://i.imgur.com/HLkgSLj.jpg

(from: https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/3pt9ca/fm16_match_engine_goalkeepers/)

I always wonder if the same people that call a new FM that, also buy the new FIFA/PES, which essentially is the same thing

Someone from reddit has put my thoughts about the GK video into words:

There's very little wrong with any of those screenshots bar the two with the defenders close to each other, but even then you're only looking at still shots. You could pick a thousand stills of a real life game where it looks like the defenders are making a mess of it. Particularly if you get a few Sunderland screenshots from this season.

And also bear in mind these video clips are nowhere near the finished product.

Archived