FM16 - First thoughts on the early disclosures.

(sorry my english)

I know its too early to judge FM16 and I have to wait for the release - but so far i'm very disappointed with the amount and types of new features. Ex. Fantasy Draft is useless for me. And who does use the "Match Analysis" after every match anyway?? The only feature which does look good is the manager-editor.

Maybe i'm wrong - What do you think?

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes very disappointed, infact I cant even remember a single feature that appeals to me (or perhaps any core longterm fm players?)

I think AI squad building and realistic transfers was mentioned, and that would be good, but IMO that shouldnt be a feature, just something that is improved as a given.

The manager editor looks like the guy has been melted. I understand it's low res and he'd look ok on the pitch, but blimey.

A few of the features just look like SI want to take FM in a different direction now, and I am not sure where that is or whether I'd like it.

I love the idea of a match of the day style highlights package though.

I've noticed a few comments about lack of new features.

What I find interesting is that in the recent past, SI have been criticised for spending too much time adding gimmicky features rather than improving the core mechanics of the game.

This time, they seem to be doing the latter, and being criticised for lack of new features. I guess they can't win ;-)

FWIW I will likely buy this one. From my POV, I didn't buy FM15, so going from 14 to 16 feels different and fresh enough for me to justify the spend.

The manager editor looks like the guy has been melted. I understand it's low res and he'd look ok on the pitch, but blimey.

A few of the features just look like SI want to take FM in a different direction now, and I am not sure where that is or whether I'd like it.

I love the idea of a match of the day style highlights package though.

Seems to be going down a 'pay to win' route, SI selling themselves out?

I just dont see the appeal of a manager editor, have him on the sidelines fine, but customise him? maybe choose skin and hair colour and suit/tracksuit, ie fifa, but thats it.

It seems each years the 'bells and whistles' get improved, but the core game seems to be neglected, its sadly each year becoming more a yearly update and less a new game

Seems to be going down a 'pay to win' route, SI selling themselves out?

I just dont see the appeal of a manager editor, have him on the sidelines fine, but customise him? maybe choose skin and hair colour and suit/tracksuit, ie fifa, but thats it.

It seems each years the 'bells and whistles' get improved, but the core game seems to be neglected, its sadly each year becoming more a yearly update and less a new game

Dunno about pay to win, nothing in the feature list screams to me microtransactions just yet.

Just something about adding gimmicks like create a manager and a fantasy draft (why?) that says "FIFA manager" to me.

The only thing I want to know about drafts would be whether or not I can use drafts in a created league yet or not.

The Create-a-Club feature is good addition for some FMC players like myself as we have not had an editor so that gets a :thup: from me.

Still not sure if that is enough to make me give up my current saves and purchase the new game in a couple of months though.

Yeah the 'Create a Club' sounds quite good, I would have a couple of saves on that for sure.

Going to have to wait on more announcements though.

As for the manager editor, I am sure I have seen him before, was he maybe an extra from 'The Walking Dead'?

Totally dissapointed here with that list of new features.

For a little history, I'm one of the older players, been playing since day one with the first Champ Manager release and faithfully bought every copy every year...that was until last years release, I didnt think the step from FM14 to FM15 was worth the buy.

Now I'm seeing the features for FM16 and it looks like I wont even bother again with this next version. Its seems the yearly release has restricted the creativity of the studio or they just have run out of "useful" things to add.

Not convinced I will be buying it yet as am extremely disappointed by the announcement.

That said, I will monitor reviews and the comments of certain regular posters on here whom I trust with their opinions before deciding.

One of the keys will be the players reactions to certain situations. As I put in the other thread:

"The one feature I am hoping is fixed is when the players revolt over a minor issue. Example: Managed club X for 7 years, winning multiple trophies and league titles, yet because I refused a contract to a reserve player, a few first teamers were unhappy resulting in lower morale and it affected results. In the careers forum, some managers actually got sacked too.

If this has been resolved, I will be a happy man."

If that isn't resolved, I will definitely not be buying. This could be the first game by Sports Interactive I wont have purchased, having bought every game since Championship Manager Italia in 1992.

For a little history, I'm one of the older players, been playing since day one with the first Champ Manager release and faithfully bought every copy every year...that was until last years release, I didnt think the step from FM14 to FM15 was worth the buy.

Now I'm seeing the features for FM16 and it looks like I wont even bother again with this next version. Its seems the yearly release has restricted the creativity of the studio or they just have run out of "useful" things to add.

Like you I'm an older player.

Tbh, I think there is only so much SI can do on a year-to-year basis - though I would beg the question as to whether they should be charging premium price for what is really just an upgrade rather than a new game.

Also our age... new features just don't excite as much anymore, 10-20 years ago we'd be on the ceiling for even minor tweaks, I remember how exciting the idea of press conferences (long hankered for back in the day!) was at the time.

All of this is why I do skip FMs. I skipped 12, and 15. Will probably buy this one though.

I've noticed a few comments about lack of new features.

What I find interesting is that in the recent past, SI have been criticised for spending too much time adding gimmicky features rather than improving the core mechanics of the game.

This time, they seem to be doing the latter, and being criticised for lack of new features. I guess they can't win ;-)

FWIW I will likely buy this one. From my POV, I didn't buy FM15, so going from 14 to 16 feels different and fresh enough for me to justify the spend.

I was going to say exactly this!

To contribute to the thread, I'm very excited about the new game. I loved FM15 and FM16 looks like a nice evolution with some extra elements thrown in. I'm not super excited about everything but I'm one of those that is actually perfectly happy with just the main areas of the game being made better. I don't need 'big' features to sway me on a game I was always going to buy.

I'm seeing the same pessimism here/on social media and I find it hilarious. Aside from the game not even being out yet, the forums always have tons of people complaining when something doesnt work exactly right, and scream that all they want is a more polished version of the previous year... but when they announce a game with expected polishes and upgrades alongside new features (including a whole new mode), people complain the new features aren't exciting or groundbreaking enough. All it proves is that it would be suicidal for SI to stand pat and not keep going 'bigger' with new features to placate those that need to be wowed with 'new'. Oh well, here's to lots more bugs in the future caused by having to implement more new stuff! ;-)

"The one feature I am hoping is fixed is when the players revolt over a minor issue. Example: Managed club X for 7 years, winning multiple trophies and league titles, yet because I refused a contract to a reserve player, a few first teamers were unhappy resulting in lower morale and it affected results. In the careers forum, some managers actually got sacked too.

If this has been resolved, I will be a happy man."

Whiny players made me go back to 14. Don't miss any of the new features in 15 at all.

Tbh, I think there is only so much SI can do on a year-to-year basis - though I would beg the question as to whether they should be charging premium price for what is really just an upgrade rather than a new game.

Also our age... new features just don't excite as much anymore, 10-20 years ago we'd be on the ceiling for even minor tweaks, I remember how exciting the idea of press conferences (long hankered for back in the day!) was at the time.

All of this is why I do skip FMs. I skipped 12, and 15. Will probably buy this one though.

Understand what your saying and very much agree. They should go back to the old model and charge full price every other year with a cheaper "upgrade" in between.

That would keep more people buying and not doing what I'm seeing a lot of people talking about and thats buying every couple of years now. Many of the buying public are the older players who grew up playing the game and we get wiser as we age and cant be fooled by the "added features" :)

Your History exactly matches mine. I too was uninspired by last years release, & this looks just the same.

Understand what your saying and very much agree. They should go back to the old model and charge full price every other year with a cheaper "upgrade" in between.

That would keep more people buying and not doing what I'm seeing a lot of people talking about and thats buying every couple of years now. Many of the buying public are the older players who grew up playing the game and we get wiser as we age and cant be fooled by the "added features" :)

Some of us just see the added stuff as bonus to the usual ME and other AI updates. :)

Pretty much my feelings as well.

But it's early days and I will buy it anyway no doubt. Far too early to judge anyway.

The create a club is a bit of a cop out sold as a new feature. The pre-game editor did that anyway and has done for a while.

Some of us just see the added stuff as bonus to the usual ME and other AI updates. :)

Thats gets to exactly my point, Why are we expected to pay full price for whats basically an ME update with latest squad lists. Seems like buying the game every few years now is the way to go.

Thats gets to exactly my point, Why are we expected to pay full price for whats basically an ME update with latest squad lists. Seems like buying the game every few years now is the way to go.

Because a ME update takes quite a lot of work? Because all the UI changes take quite a lot of work? Because everything else you don't even realise has happened takes quite a lot of work? That's a gross underestimation of what goes on each year. It still amazes me how many comments like this we get.

Because there's still a hell of a lot of work that goes into the existing features every year as well.

You're not expected to do anything. I've never understood this line of thinking. The game comes out, you play the demo, you make a choice whether to purchase or not

Because a ME update takes quite a lot of work? Because all the UI changes take quite a lot of work? Because everything else you don't even realise has happened takes quite a lot of work? That's a gross underestimation of what goes on each year. It still amazes me how many comments like this we get.

I wish I wasnt the one making those comments but the game is now in a state where the things added are more like after thoughts targeting a tiny selection of the players.

I understand releasing the game each year from a monetary point of view, I'm just expressing my opinion as a long long time player that the released new features are really dissapointing and all I can wish is that this company had real competition against another viable football manager type game that then caused SI to really knuckle down and improve the features of this game instead of this perceived complacency each release.

I wish I wasnt the one making those comments but the game is now in a state where the things added are more like after thoughts targeting a tiny selection of the players.

I understand releasing the game each year from a monetary point of view, I'm just expressing my opinion as a long long time player that the released new features are really dissapointing and all I can wish is that this company had real competition against another viable football manager type game that then caused SI to really knuckle down and improve the features of this game instead of this perceived complacency each release.

Except that isnt true, on virtually all parts. Features are planned well in advance.

You've seen a fraction of new (and updates to existing features)

And this fictionary company coming out of nowhere trope doesn't work either, unless, you're having a dig at SI's work ethic and integrity, which i suggest you steer clear of doing.

Yep. Obviously it's just an early preview but none of the changes or additions announced so far have excited me in the slightest. Maybe the extra stats. But I don't see anything that would add to the fundamental gameplay, add to the basics of a FM experience. Mostly it feels like a reshuffling of a few screens and displays, and vague promises of better interaction.

Simply put the internet is generally full of negativity.

SI could have announced that each copy of FM16 will come with a pair of tickets to watch the club of your choice in a match of your choice & people would still moan that it wasn't a pair of season tickets.

all I can wish is that this company had real competition against another viable football manager type game that then caused SI to really knuckle down and improve the features of this game instead of this perceived complacency each release.

There may be a reason that any company that tries as much(even EA and FIFA Manager) just can't hang with FM and invariably give up...

SI could have announced that each copy of FM16 will come with a pair of tickets to watch the club of your choice in a match of your choice & people would still moan that it wasn't a pair of season tickets.

Watching my favourite team is akin to torture anyway!! So no, I'd definitely not be happy.

The annual release isn't going to change anytime soon. It's your choice to buy every year, and £30+ is steep, so maybe buying every 2-3 versions like some do is better? If too many do that then maybe SI might change their selling strategy but I'd not hold your breath on that because p for plenty will buy every year, like me for now. It's personal choice whether £30+ every year is worth it and that's down to you, not SI.

I've had another look at what's on offer and what I'd use it for, after getting over my initial "The ****?" stage. The only thing I'm really disappointed about is the fantasy draft. I am in no way interested in that, I guess some people would be and options = goodness.

The manager creation tool is basic, however can be a good immersion factor when you are playing, rather than have a picture of a turtle in my avatar I can actually have some semblance of a regen face.

The create a team is pretty nifty, it's basically an easier version of something I like to do anyway when I get to the end of my FM cycle and want to do something new.

I especially like the graphical overhaul of the UI and allowing you to visualise the tactical philosophy in the creation screen. Like you know where the defensive line will be, you have a graphic of sorts on how your team will play on that screen with your team instructions and most importantly a more detailed description of how your team might actually play.

The highlights package will be great, as no longer will I just ignore everything around us and it could help with my scouting.

Everything else is the usual incremental improvements to the game, which I appreciate.

Overall, I'm still not entirely convinced enough to get a pre order just yet, but I might be swayed closer to release.

The internet isnt full of negativity, positive and negative is just an understanding by the individual, you can find positivity in negativity and vice versa if you look at it with a different set of view points, - just saying.

What I am meaning and not coming off as saying is I feel we are seeing a lack of competition, in footballing terms, what does lack of competition give you? Possibly stagnation? I feel thats whats happening with each release over the last few years. They know no other company can do what they do, its like they are barcelona without a madrid team to challenge them so the features each year become pretty useless as they dont really need to improve a whole lot.

To be fair, this thread was started to discuss if anyone feels as disappointed as the OP, so negative posts are allowed

I appreciate all of that, I do.

I think "hehehemann's" use of the word 'expected' isn't the best choice of words and "themadsheep2001" kind of picked up on that in his response.

I would make the point that SI / SEGA (whoever makes pricing decision) do clearly think that the pricing point is appropriate, however the point being raised here is whether people on this forum think the pricing point is fair for something that some might not really regard as significantly different enough to be considered a new game.

RTH, I would suggest a little empathy goes a long way. :-)

Why release new Features information if you dont want feed back and criticism, thats what makes a product better, and from what ive seen so far the only addition that interests me is the more detailed information regarding tactics.

CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Also, if it's flat out wrong, you will be told so.

Just running through the "Key Features" page here:

Manager on the Touchline

Purely cosmetic and kinda barebones, but whatever, this is a nice touch, even if it feels more like a bullet point than a "key feature."

New Game Mode - Fantasy Draft

This is great, and moves the game closer to being as variable and customizable as, e.g., OOTP Baseball. I don't know how much I, personally, will use it, but for some people this will probably be the best thing since sliced bread.

New Game Mode - Create-A-Club

This boils down to a more user-friendly take on the editor. Looks useful, but it's not adding genuinely new functionality that I can see. I imagine it's more exciting for people who play FMC.

Multi Match Highlights

If it loads at a reasonable clip and doesn't have to painstakingly scrape the data for each match in turn, this is a nice addition. If it doesn't, I will probably never touch it after the first time.

Prozone Match Analysis

This is legitimately cool and probably the best of all the announced features. I will use this week in, week out. Two thumbs up.

Set-Piece Creator

Long-awaited, but let's see how easy it is to abuse and break. FM has a years-long bad track record with exploitable set pieces not being fixed.

Expanded Press Interaction

I'm not trying to be mean, but the video for this shows off lots and lots of press interactions that I have been hastily clicking through for years. Word for word unchanged. I'm not sure what's being shown off here. This is one of the most maligned features of the current game, and SI seem to have made it more complicated, not less.

Football Manager Touch - Cross-Save

Shrug. Handy when traveling. I'll wait and see how FM plays on a tablet before I get excited.

More Realistic Injuries

Cool. Good addition.

And Much, Much More

This stuff all sounds great, so I'm not sure why it's been relegated to a round-up versus the "build your own melty man." Going by this paragraph (improved financial model! improved AI transfers!), they've done a lot of work, although I'd question some of the priorities for marketing. Let's face it, FM16 will hinge, like every FM before it, on whether the match engine is up to scratch. The last few years, it has not been up to scratch at launch. So it's not a buy from me anymore until the inevitable three patches come through.

To be honest, if the draft system they have implemented can also be added to leagues via the editor, then that is enough for me right there. I do not care so much about things like create a club or adding a touchline managers. I find them to be essentially meaningless gimmicks, although they will appeal to some. It may be early to judge yet but some of the screens look downright ugly.

Create your own manager face? Bleurgh :( want less Fifa, not more.

Create a club - not a new feature as this could be done with the editor? Genuinely don't see how you can tout that as a new feature.

Fantasy leagues. Again, bleurgh.

Hopefully we'll get some news soon as to how the game itself has improved (I.e. Improved player/press interaction, players not sulking and causing an uproar when they're not played and improved match engine (not just animations)?). most of what has been announced today is genuinely turd for me.

Archived