Wide players and their fullbacks query.

Just a quick question, I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 and was wondering how other managers set up their wide players. I've got an AP(S) in the AMC position, with an AF(A) ahead of him.

Wb(A) / IF(S) on one side and W(A)/Fb(S) on the other seems logical, but as I've already got a creator in the number 10 position I'd prefer my IF to have an attack duty.

IF(A) / Wb(S) seems sound but I'm unsure about the W(S)/Fb(A) combo. My previous experience with this combo is that neither player shines, with both staying wide and getting in each other's way almost.

Which kind of player do you prefer behind a support duty winger? Cheers!

I think you may have to few goal scoring roles. IF(S) + AP(S) will look to hang around the edge of the box or deeper as more of a creator / long shot. W(S) will tend to stay outside so only leaves your ST looking to get behind the defense. I think IF(A) would give your AP(S) another option and potentially the W(S)+FB(A) a more consistent back post threat.

I would check three things:

1. PPMs - This could make the players tend to do similar things and get in the way of each other.

2. Fluidity - Very Rigid would discourage overlapping unless its safer to do so compared to Very Fluid.

3. Do you use any TI such as Work Ball into Box or Exploit Flanks? This can modify forward run settings and crossing settings. Do your W/FB have many options to aim for? What type of crosses are your central players good at converting? If you want them to work the ball into the box do they have passing/cut back options rather than crossing options available?

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Definitely agree with IF(A) as another goalscoring threat.

1) My winger has PPMs of get further forward and hug touchline, and my first choice Fb also has get further forward as well as plays simple passes. Maybe this would encourage him to play cutbacks from the byline rather than crosses from deep?

2) I play control and fluid, which if I understand correctly makes my fullbacks more reluctant to overlap as their mentality is closer to the centre backs.

3) I don't use other of those two instructions, I use direct passing, sometimes pass into space or sometimes run at defence (depending on whether the opposition are in a high or low defensive block), and close down more.

Archived