New youth player names

So far in my third season I've had a Bethany, Abbie, Rachel, Alice and two Courtneys. These aren't exactly guys names. I'm managing Coventry Blaze in the EIHL.
HaHa they may not be typical guys names, but...

...I looked the names up using eliteprospects http://www.eliteprospects.com/ and found

- 6 for Bethany

- 8 for Abbie

- 20 for Rachel

- 16 for Alice

- 20 for Courtney

No doubt improvement could be made in the names the game uses (especially for certain areas/countries), but one challenge is the game reuses entered names, and real life players have names that may not always be considered typically male

The names will be there due to a number of players in the British junior leagues being female. There is also Nicole Jackson who is contracted to the Sheffield Steeldogs (EPL) and has played 35 NIHL games and 1 EPL game. She is an exception however and I agree that there needs to be some distinction between male and female names in the game to reflect real life.

• SI Staff

The new database allows us to mark certain names as female names. Obviously the internal list is not fully complete and cannot cover for all possible names used in 3rd party database, but I'll see if there is something that can be done here. Possibly an importer command to mark certain names from a nation as female ?

The new database allows us to mark certain names as female names. Obviously the internal list is not fully complete and cannot cover for all possible names used in 3rd party database, but I'll see if there is something that can be done here. Possibly an importer command to mark certain names from a nation as female ?

Sounds like a good idea.

Don't know if you already do this but it could be good to mark Canadian names as either English or French and similarly for eg. Switzerland, Finland, Romania or Italy where the hockeycommunity isn't monolingual.

Sounds good. I think we would need to limit each name to a nation too because some names are used for females in one country and male in others (e.g. Nicola is female in England but male in Italy).

Perhaps some sort of first_names.cfg file with a command along the lines of "First Name" "Nation" "Gender".

Archived