Sports Interactive Community
legenary1

Do you enjoy FM as much as you used to?

There is absolutely nothing ambiguous about it.

The channel is the gap between a fullback & a DC, no ifs, buts or anything else.

Ok but with regard to horizontal or vertical movement this was in a thread about it.. I would still say a tad ambiguous....

"The game says 'to find vertical spaces between opponents and pull away in such a manner that a teammate can find them with a pass which in turn draws a defender a defender out of position.'"

What's causing the confusion is 'vertical spaces'. Does that mean they'll move horizontally, in between players, and then move higher up in the space between said players? And if that's the case then would it be something that you shouldn't give to someone on a support duty? Also would it be counterproductive to use it with roam from position?"

"Bring the description up as a bug report if it says vertical . Moving into channels is a lateral/horizontal movement."

Yes its a horizontal movement because they are moving into the gap between DC & fullback (vertical channel).

So examples would be a wide players moving inside the fullback or a striker drifting wider into gap between DC & fullback.

Been playing 18 years now, and still in love with the game. Although my playstyle has changed considerably over the years and I now found myself micro-managing things, so saves are not as long as they once were.

Yes its a horizontal movement because they are moving into the gap between DC & fullback (vertical channel).

So examples would be a wide players moving inside the fullback or a striker drifting wider into gap between DC & fullback.

Your explanation is far better than the official one!! Although the only wide players who have the option available are a WTM and RMD which is a little surprising as moving inside the fullback is exactly what you would want an IF to do I would think!!

The main gameplay in FM comes from the matches once or twice a gameweek, it should take up the bulk time of your gameplay and everything inbetween is buildup to those matches.

Completely disagree. There is a reason why the game is called Football Manager, not Football Coach.

I dare say if you played the game in true "coach" mode, letting the rest of your staff handle everything concerning contracts, transfers, scouting, youth intakes etc. and focused solely on the actual games, most of us would get bored with that very quickly. If that's what you want, you might as well play FIFA.

Completely disagree. There is a reason why the game is called Football Manager, not Football Coach.

I dare say if you played the game in true "coach" mode, letting the rest of your staff handle everything concerning contracts, transfers, scouting, youth intakes etc. and focused solely on the actual games, most of us would get bored with that very quickly. If that's what you want, you might as well play FIFA.

Or you could just accept that some people play the game differently to you, without proclaiming that they should just play something else. Just a thought.

I think that might be a language issue or at least a country issue dllu.

In England at least a lot of managers are much more involved in other activities and don't just coach which I think is more common on the continent.

I feel like I have a much better understanding of the game than when I first started, so I enjoy it a lot more in that respect, but FM15 is just too easy, imo. I'm not saying that to be arrogant, I just really think it's not too hard to have success and that once you get a good team going it's easy to just steam roll the opposition season after season.

Play in FM15 just seems very regimented and I must say I do find you start trying to play the ME rather than the opposition and I often end up with my team just playing a way that works rather than playing a way that I want it to.

I think this is a very good point. I have just started a Belgium Division 3 save to see if I could get some enjoyment out of FM15, and I found exactly this. My third division team is scoring half of its goals from brilliant strikes outside the box. The rest of the goals are from crosses. The opposition are mostly scoring from scrambled goals in the box where my players make errors or set pieces. Basically they ignore the instructions to clear the ball to flanks, work ball into the box, and shoot less. They do what they want and we win (unless it is the bottom team) so I just click continue. I have to check occasionally during the match to replace the 1 or 2 players who will get knocks and have to be taken off.

In the end it just feels the same week in week out with some random or artificial bad news thrown in to keep you awake. The matches even feel the same. I can't get the enjoyment I got from FM08 or even FM13 in the last two versions. I am already at the point or returning to FM13. I have fun playing that game. I have FM05 to FM11 on my shelf and FM12 to FM15 on steam. I think as more things are added to the game we are actually losing realism because the program struggles to reflect a lot of things in an accurate football manner. Sometimes less but perfected is better than more with flaws. Right nowto me it feels more like a game than ever befoe. As you said, you end up beating the game rather than playing football.

I also accept that part of this probably comes down to my own feelings about the game itself right now. It does not feel fresh or exciting to me anymore so that probsbly affects my overall opinions of the game as it stands today. Still, I saw that part of your post Sussex and feel I have the some ideas as you about it feeling regimented.

I've put more hours into this years FM than any other by quite some distance. Enjoyed my save more than any other in years. Only the second time in my FM playing life that I've gone the whole year on just one save.

I have bought every game since 93 or 94, whichever one had real names because the first one didnt (this is going back to Championship manager btw)

Its still a good game. I think where I am most disappointed is the lack of change over the last 5 years. The last two years especially has been more about UI changes than anything thats really shaken up the game. Right now I am getting EMails from Sortitoutsi showing new screens. Today I had individual player training; Was there anything new? no, just UI changes.

I am certainly getting less excited each year with the next version. I dont know where all the innovation has gone.

Or you could just accept that some people play the game differently to you, without proclaiming that they should just play something else. Just a thought.

Of course. But we're not talking about how people play the game as it is. We're talking about how people would like the gameplay to be changed to suit them.

I think that might be a language issue or at least a country issue dllu.

In England at least a lot of managers are much more involved in other activities and don't just coach which I think is more common on the continent.

Yes, I'm aware that the British "manager" role is different from the "head coach" role in pretty much every other country. That was my point: What I love about FM is that you get to be involved in building the team and not just what happens on the pitch. I wouldn't want to play "Football Head Coach". However, I wouldn't want to play "Football Chairman" either. I like the game just the way it is.

I'd be interested to see the chairman game, but I think it would require so much additional coding & context to make it work, it just won't happen.

There isn't enough immersion in the game as it stands today for it to work in my opinion, but I do think it would be interesting and enjoyable.

Of course. But we're not talking about how people play the game as it is. We're talking about how people would like the gameplay to be changed to suit them.

No, you said that if someone wants to only play the games, and delegate all other tasks, then they may as well just play FIFA. So saying that people shouldn't be playing FM like that. Hence me reminding you that people might play the game in a way that you don't.

Why anyone bothers about how other people play a single player game always baffles me.

No. For various reasons meaning I'm unlikely to purchase for the first time since CM2.

Most of the people I know stopped playing the game because they found it too difficult and won't buy it again. Some have even back to FIFA.

It could be just past it's sell buy date I suppose.

I'm sure SI lose customers because the game can be difficult to n00bies especially with no difficulty level. Players of the game who don't win you tend to lose. Hence, the downfall of FML. where people will not pay pay hard cash for a game they lose at.

If the demo can show me that staff have greatly improved then I might give it a go.

I haven't enjoyed it as much but I think it's because my laptop is getting old and the game is a lot slower because of that. Also, with such a big scouting network you don't get the loved players like To Madeira and Bakayoko anymore.

No, you said that if someone wants to only play the games, and delegate all other tasks, then they may as well just play FIFA. So saying that people shouldn't be playing FM like that. Hence me reminding you that people might play the game in a way that you don't.

Why anyone bothers about how other people play a single player game always baffles me.

And how some people insist on misreading what other people write on forums like this (deliberately or not) always baffles me.

I don't care how other people play FM. I really don't. I also don't care if you believe me or not.

I just don't understand why anyone, if all they're interested in are the actual matches and not the behind-the-scenes stuff, would choose to play FM when there are other games that handle that particular aspect much better - because it is not (nor should it be IMO) FM's main focus.

And how some people insist on misreading what other people write on forums like this (deliberately or not) always baffles me.

I don't care how other people play FM. I really don't. I also don't care if you believe me or not.

I just don't understand why anyone, if all they're interested in are the actual matches and not the behind-the-scenes stuff, would choose to play FM when there are other games that handle that particular aspect much better - because it is not (nor should it be IMO) FM's main focus.

If you really didn't care, you probably wouldn't even try to "understand why" people play a certain way, you'd probably just accept that they do, and move on like most I imagine do.

I think people just need to realize this is part of growing up. I don’t enjoy FM as much as I did, because the time and commitment a 14 year old has for a video game is way higher than for anyone older. I don’t enjoy any games as much as I did before. I get bored after a few hours and need a break. Plus jobs and stuff get in the way of me playing long into the night. Plus, you also remember everything more fondly after a few years. I remember the great saves I have had on CM/FM, not the ones where I quit after a season or two. And I am sure there has been a lot of them as well.

I am sure the people who are 15 today will say that FM2025 no longer was as enjoyable, no matter what features or changes it has.

I'm in my 40's and enjoy it as much as ever. My son is now an adult and prefers FIFA over FM, (but that is gradually changing I think). I don't have the time to play that I once had, but I also don't play in the same way I used to. Now I tend to play a single save for 2 whole years because that's how long it takes me. (I did buy FM15 recently when it was on sale, but only really dabbled with it. Didn't play properly).