Do you enjoy FM as much as you used to?

I appreciate this is quite a random question and a strange place to be asking it (you probably wouldn't be here if you didn't enjoy the game), I've spent a lot of time playing FM over the last eight years and haven't bought 15 because I don't have as much time to play it as I used to. I first played FM when I was 16 and I'm 24 now, so my life priorities have changed a little!

Anyway, do you enjoy it as much as you used to? I can't get into a save like I used to, I've tried a few different teams in different leagues, I used to enjoy the game so much that I would find myself awake at 2am and say to myself "one more match then I'll go to bed". I've even looked through the various guides on how to setup a team, how to setup tactics, what to look for in players, all of which are great guides for your average player, but I can't find that fire that FM used to ignite within me. Maybe it's a sign of the times that I've outgrown FM, who knows!

Finally, if you can empathize with what I've written thus far, have you got any advice for enjoying it again? Or am I a lost hope? LOL

Thanks

Sam

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been playing since, like quite a few since CM2 Italia (I was 8 or 9 at the time and not that good) and still going now at 29. To be fair, I can sort of empathise with not being able to get into a save as I had the same thing with 13 and 14. But this year, something's just clicked and I'm now at a point where I'm on it whenever I have a spare 20 mins or so just to do the next game.

I always find to get a save going it helps to set an objective that's not easy to reach:

Get approached my Barcelona/Real Madrid

Get a product of your youth team to break your clubs league appearance record (tried doing that with Man Utd once - Ryan Giggs 700+ - not easy! - gave up on that save when the guy in question turned 26 and decided he needed a new challenge)

Win the top 5 leagues in Europe

Bottom to top

Just give yourself a carrot to stretch for

That's always going to be a matter of personal preference and/or reasons for "not enjoying it as much", so you can hardly get some universal advice.

As far as I'm concerned, I still play FM whenever I can, but I'm definitely not enjoying it as I used to. My personal reason is that the game has evolved to a point where it requires a level of tactical knowledge and involvement I'm not comfortable with nor I want to be. I'm simply not interested in football tactics to a level which is needed, or recommended, for FM. You can still get away with not knowing or caring, but it's increasingly difficult every year.

I've experienced this malaise with FM too. I remember being completely intoxicated with it when I first played FM08 on a friend's computer (up until that point I really thought LMA Manager was a good game, oh, and Total Club Manager). Then I bought 09 and spent many a fruitful hour in my room enraptured at the size and scope of it all. If I were a drug user, I imagine I would feel inclined to compare the FM Feeling to the effects of certain recreational and pharmaceutical chemicals.

It's easy to resort to thinking that this year's game is the problem, and I'm still not sure about the whole interface. I still pine for the old 09 look, something about it just seemed so unpretentious and raw.

But anyway, you need to bear in mind that after playing the game for 8 years, you no longer have the process of discovery that you used to. I mean, it took me about three or four years just to 'master' FM. For the first few years I vastly underestimated the game, my tactics were non-existent, I didn't realise the depth of the tactical systems and match engine. But now that discovery process is gone, so of course the game isn't going to feel exactly the same as it used to. Again, comparisons could be made with drugs, I imagine.

That leaves us with what 'gunner86' said, we need to create our own immersion in the game, using pre-set objectives, and more importantly, imagination.

I'd be interested in hearing how other managers create their own immersion in the game.

I've been playing since, like quite a few since CM2 Italia (I was 8 or 9 at the time and not that good) and still going now at 29. To be fair, I can sort of empathise with not being able to get into a save as I had the same thing with 13 and 14. But this year, something's just clicked and I'm now at a point where I'm on it whenever I have a spare 20 mins or so just to do the next game.

I always find to get a save going it helps to set an objective that's not easy to reach:

Get approached my Barcelona/Real Madrid

Get a product of your youth team to break your clubs league appearance record (tried doing that with Man Utd once - Ryan Giggs 700+ - not easy! - gave up on that save when the guy in question turned 26 and decided he needed a new challenge)

Win the top 5 leagues in Europe

Bottom to top

Just give yourself a carrot to stretch for

That is one hell of an innings! I can see why those objectives help you, and they are the sort of objectives I aim for during my career, I just don't seem to be able to get past the first few months before I feel as if playing is a chore.

That's always going to be a matter of personal preference and/or reasons for "not enjoying it as much", so you can hardly get some universal advice.

As far as I'm concerned, I still play FM whenever I can, but I'm definitely not enjoying it as I used to. My personal reason is that the game has evolved to a point where it requires a level of tactical knowledge and involvement I'm not comfortable with nor I want to be. I'm simply not interested in football tactics to a level which is needed, or recommended, for FM. You can still get away with not knowing or caring, but it's increasingly difficult every year.

It definitely does require an awful lot more than it used to but I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing. The Classic option certainly offers a refreshing alternative but I don't like it.

I've experienced this malaise with FM too. I remember being completely intoxicated with it when I first played FM08 on a friend's computer (up until that point I really thought LMA Manager was a good game, oh, and Total Club Manager). Then I bought 09 and spent many a fruitful hour in my room enraptured at the size and scope of it all. If I were a drug user, I imagine I would feel inclined to compare the FM Feeling to the effects of certain recreational and pharmaceutical chemicals.

It's easy to resort to thinking that this year's game is the problem, and I'm still not sure about the whole interface. I still pine for the old 09 look, something about it just seemed so unpretentious and raw.

But anyway, you need to bear in mind that after playing the game for 8 years, you no longer have the process of discovery that you used to. I mean, it took me about three or four years just to 'master' FM. For the first few years I vastly underestimated the game, my tactics were non-existent, I didn't realise the depth of the tactical systems and match engine. But now that discovery process is gone, so of course the game isn't going to feel exactly the same as it used to. Again, comparisons could be made with drugs, I imagine.

That leaves us with what 'gunner86' said, we need to create our own immersion in the game, using pre-set objectives, and more importantly, imagination.

I'd be interested in hearing how other managers create their own immersion in the game.

TCM 03 was good, TCM 04 was great and TCM 05 was the most enjoyable game pre-FM I think I've ever played. Played that game every available waking hour on my own and with mates. :)

I think I'll see how I go with a different save.

try watching workthespace youtube channel with two great careers of Lewes FC and FC United, it really made me want to play it after months

I have seen a few lets plays and even ran my own one in FM12 with Stranraer (took them from Scottish Div 3 to CL winners, phenomenal career).

Out of interest, what specifically don't you like about FMC?

It's just not the full version, I don't think that there is anything that can be done to make me enjoy it more, if I want to play a slim version of FM then I'll play CM01/02, I like the full version of FM and all that it encompasses.

I still remember the music in TCM 05. It was my first football management game. Honestly loved it. I have so many silly little memories from that game.

Just like I remember FM 09. And Federico Laurito.

These discussions are what fuel me up for another FM save.

For me it was the end of season screen that for some reason made me all happy about the next season! Not to mention the rating system, which made buying players as easy as you wanted it to be.

For me it was the end of season screen that for some reason made me all happy about the next season! Not to mention the rating system, which made buying players as easy as you wanted it to be.

I seem to remember a player swap system where you could swap, say, Robbie Savage for Ronaldinho. There was no logic to it at all, you could swap whoever you wanted. I enjoyed building up my stadium too, building railways at your ground to bring in more fans, burger vans, shops etc.

Anyway, I still think that no matter how deflated you might get with FM from time to time, 5 years from now you'll probably still be looking back on FM15 with the same kind of nostalgia. One good save is worth the price of the game. Chasing the 'high' by starting a ton of other saves that go nowhere is just a natural part of it. I've started about seven saves in one day before.

That said, I still don't love FM15 as much as other installments. FM12 is the last one I have a real passion and affinity for.

I wish I knew exactly what SI are aiming for when they make a new game. Like, what inspired them to create the '15's interface the way they did? I liked the old layouts, which seemed like databanks. Now a lot of it seems so polished and packaged, and made for easy use. Understandable for a game manufacturer, but it takes a little bit of the 'essence' away. I still don't understand why they abolished the training system and replaced it with a one-click solution. I used to love fine-tuning training systems in the old games.

To give a straight answer: No I don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

I still enjoy the game a lot, but there are too many aspects which slow the game down and are very tedious

The shift of focus from team building to squad/media management has just made the game less fun in my opinion.

And yes, I have tried classic mode.

No I don't. The game has got very big over a long period of time and I don't feel I can get into it enough over the course of the year from new version to new version. The newer versions require such attention to detail to be quite successful and with work and family commitments there aren't enough hours in the day. Even with just a few leagues loaded it takes me ages to get through a season. A couple of seasons with duff tactics and that can be that...

I've tried Classic but really do not like it at all. To me, it feels like a different game with the different UI and, IMO, the tacky "purchase dodgy Lasagne" options. I'd love a stripped down version of the full game where I could just select the bits that I want in and out at the start of the game. I love the speed of it though.

I enjoy FM more than I did 5 years ago, the increased level in hands on management & the consequences of poor day to day decision making is a big plus as is the way that many different tactical approaches can all work on a matchday. Add in all the incremental improvements that have been made to the transfer AI & FM provides a much longer term challenge than previous versions ever did.

For me the game was at its most enjoyable back in the mid 90s because I found watching the match 'text only' was actually pretty exciting because you had to visualise what your players were doing. Having said that, I think FM itself is so much better now because there is so much detail to it now. Maybe even too much at times. I know I don't have particular interest in training, or dealing with the youth teams so its handy that you can pass the responsibility for those onto your staff. Because of that i'm still very much enjoying FM.

I enjoy FM more than I did 5 years ago, the increased level in hands on management & the consequences of poor day to day decision making is a big plus as is the way that many different tactical approaches can all work on a matchday. Add in all the incremental improvements that have been made to the transfer AI & FM provides a much longer term challenge than previous versions ever did.

What you say sounds great, but it isn't the game I have been playing.

In my experience the 'hands on management & the consequences of poor day to day decision making' is repetive and doesn't come close to a level which could offer real immersion.

Instead, I end of clicking through the same questiions/events again and again. It quickly devolves into a situation where you click through the best options based on your experience of having it thrown at you time and time again. The only challenge is remembering what works best - there is no genuine decision making. It is extraordinary shallow gameplay.

What you say sounds great, but it isn't the game I have been playing.

In my experience the 'hands on management & the consequences of poor day to day decision making' is repetive and doesn't come close to a level which could offer real immersion.

Instead, I end of clicking through the same questiions/events again and again. It quickly devolves into a situation where you click through the best options based on your experience of having it thrown at you time and time again. The only challenge is remembering what works best - there is no genuine decision making. It is extraordinary shallow gameplay.

For me the challenge is in stopping players complaining in the first place, I do agree that the actual interactions can be somewhat underwhelming.

I've played Fm and cm since the very first incarnation many years ago, I recently sold my Amiga copy of CM on eBay for a great price of £32. I've loved the game for all its existence and continue to buy the new copy every year, the only problem for me these days is time and not being able to whizz through a season like I used to.

Can't say I do this. I handle each one on a case-by-case basis and answer based on the situation and not by what 'works best'. Conversations can feel a little limited once you go down a certain conversational paths, but overall players react the way I'd expect them to. The trouble-makers get shipped out quickly though. :D

Everybody is different, I imagine there are some people who enjoy FM more than ever right now, perhaps it's a part of growing up and not spending as much time in a fantasy world (say it isn't so). My best careers have all had a recurring theme. On FM07 I took AFC Telford from Conference North to the Prem with the help of Genie Scout. On FM12 I took Stranraer from Div 3 to CL winners and there have been a few other pretty decent efforts, I can't remember which FM it was but taking little Afan Lido of Wales to the group stages of the CL was one of my favourites.

I very much enjoy the task of taking a team that's in a really poor situation and building them up into a powerhouse but the tricky part is always the first season or two, if I can get through that and then put my mark on the team, I'm good but it's trawling through that before the promised land awaits, maybe I'm just impatient!

FM15 regardless of ME cringe moments has rekindled my fire, 13 and 14 i barely played, couldnt stand them, but suddenly in 15 I am 5 seasons into a save with Hertha Berlin and loving it.

Key for me is playing different leagues. I am a Gunners fan but I rarely use them. In the last 5 or so years/releases I have played AC Milan, Fiorentina, Real Socieadad, Crystal Palace, Wolves, Liverpool and now Hertha.

I think in FM16 it will be time to take a mid table French team to the top :)

FM10 was my first and to date my most enjoyable but FM15 is really close to it for me, I must admit I'm probably in to the game too much, I rarely play any other games because I see that as wasting possible FM time, also a day off could see me spending most of it playing FM, has happened once or twice..........................

So yeah no decline for me, have been into footy management games since I was a kid and I loved the LMA Manager series and other games before that, can't see me losing interest any time soon, even if I don't purchase another game release I will be playing some version of the game.

If it wasn't for the FMC version then I honestly wouldn't have bought FM15 and don't think I would buy another release, I just find some of the things in the full game tedious and drawn out, even in the FMC version I find the journo questions and assistant team meeting request thingy a pain, not a fan of the repetitive multi choice interaction.

I've been playing FM since Champ Manager 2, and i still really enjoy the game. I took a break from the game around 2010 - 2014 and then got FM 2014 which i didn't really get into, but i had a lot of family stuff going on too, so I didn't get to play as much.

I love how tactical the game is now, compared to what it was like, certainly compared to what it was like in the early versions. I just wish i had more time to play on it like i had when i was 16. I don't feel like i can go on the game unless i have more than an hour's free time. There are things i don't enjoy, like the pre/post match interviews. But overall, I still really enjoy the game.

I think all of the FMs have had their good and bad points, that's natural for any computer game but the one thing that all of the rest had was that ability to keep me hooked that, either the new versions don't have or it's just a case of me not enjoying the game enough to invest the time needed into it. It's a shame as I can play CM01/02 for a few hours but then feel like I want the game to be more like FM.

I have a day off today and no plans so let's re-install FM12 and fire up the old Stranraer save...

Funny you mentioned it, people here usually say FM 12 was so loved because it was easy. However, previous FMs had been just as easy, if not easier, but none of them stuck in people's memories as top notch editions, with a perfect balance of fun and realism (with a possible exception of FM 10).

Funny you mentioned it, people here usually say FM 12 was so loved because it was easy. However, previous FMs had been just as easy, if not easier, but none of them stuck in people's memories as top notch editions, with a perfect balance of fun and realism (with a possible exception of FM 10).

Yeah, FM12 didn't work. LOL

I started from championship manager 2 ENG and played until cm 01/02. I didn't touch the game again until FM 2012, but I was reluctant to buy it because I read that the game has become very complicated. When Fm2013 arrived I didn't buy that too thinking it was as complicated as Fm2012. Few months later I stumble into a youtube of someone playing the classic version. I then read up that the classic version got rid of the all complication and went back to championship manager style. That's how I got back into Football Manager game. Yeah, without the classic version I would have never touch the series again.

And now I'm loving this game so much (Fm2015) that my steam backlog is starting to pile up again....

FFS guys that run of mod posts looks orchestrated.

Yeah I was just waiting for a string of SI posts to say how they enjoy it more now, just as a bit of back up. ;)

For me, meh, ask me on Monday when nothing is going right and I will say I enjoyed it better years ago.

Ask me again on Friday when nothing can go wrong and I am going for the league title and I will say, it's never been better!

I don't know English well but i will try :D

I started from cm 1999/2000 and now i am enjoying more than ever, but just when game is working well. 2015 have many, many things that can improve and if they do that in 2016 i will enjoy even more.

Shooting is awful and goalkeepers (just ours not opponent) are useless but when i have luck, and everything is working fine this is the best game i have ever played. Reason why am i enjoying fm more and more after years of playing is that i am playing with one goal. To win champions league with every team from Italian Serie A that i like. And those are, Milan, Roma, Juventus, Lazio, Udinese, Catania, Napoli, Inter and Parma. Goal is nearly completed, just Inter and Parma left. I am curently playing with Inter in 2015 but for Parma i will install fm 2010, 2011 or 2012 because there is no chance for me to win something in fm 2015 with that club, but that is main reason i am playing this game and still enjoying. I love old Calcio that much i must win CL with nearly every club from that league :o

Sometimes my goals were to bring back Kaka to Milan, or Adriano to Parma and stuff like that.

Now for example, my goal in Inter is to buy Romagnoli, Bonazzoli and other Italian talents then give them shirt numbers that Cannavaro and Vieri had, and pretending that i'm making new Cannavaro and Vieri from them xD Things like that are reasons why i am enjoying this game still. :) and no, i am not Italian and I hope you understand what i wrote xD

I don't know English well but i will try :D

I started from cm 1999/2000 and now i am enjoying more than ever, but just when game is working well. 2015 have many, many things that can improve and if they do that in 2016 i will enjoy even more.

Shooting is awful and goalkeepers (just ours not opponent) are useless but when i have luck, and everything is working fine this is the best game i have ever played. Reason why am i enjoying fm more and more after years of playing is that i am playing with one goal. To win champions league with every team from Italian Serie A that i like. And those are, Milan, Roma, Juventus, Lazio, Udinese, Catania, Napoli, Inter and Parma. Goal is nearly completed, just Inter and Parma left. I am curently playing with Inter in 2015 but for Parma i will install fm 2010, 2011 or 2012 because there is no chance for me to win something in fm 2015 with that club, but that is main reason i am playing this game and still enjoying. I love old Calcio that much i must win CL with nearly every club from that league :o

Sometimes my goals were to bring back Kaka to Milan, or Adriano to Parma and stuff like that.

Now for example, my goal in Inter is to buy Romagnoli, Bonazzoli and other Italian talents then give them shirt numbers that Cannavaro and Vieri had, and pretending that i'm making new Cannavaro and Vieri from them xD Things like that are reasons why i am enjoying this game still. :) and no, i am not Italian and I hope you understand what i wrote xD

I would be over the moon (excuse the English expression) if my Spanish was as good as your English!

I've decided to take part in Gundo's FM14 challenge in Wales with Haverfordwest. I thought a change of location might inspire me, so I'm in Pret A Manger around the corner from where I live to steal their electricity and people watch simultaneously (I'm serious)

I find this now and again. I was bored with it until I tried FMC which i found got rid of alot of the 'chores' however I feel a mode somewhere between the two would suit me more.

I agree with what the 2nd poster said about setting hard goals to reach. I recently got concord rovers to be a universal football name with a huge stadium built in my name. However I soon got bored when I reached the top

What I would like to see is a official historical database. I know mods can add them but you still start in the same year ie 2014 and once the current players retire its full of regens.

It would be great if there was a mode which started in say 2000, and the regens were real players that didnt play in that year. For example Cristiano ronaldo will appear in sportings youth team in 2002.

That for me would reinvigorate the game however i can imagine it would be a huge amount of work and possible legal issues. Settling on which start date would also be tough

Might be quite telling that Marko1989's post is the first mention of the match engine in this thread.

i've always judged the game on immersion and atmosphere. I couldn't care less about the match engine, beyond it being reasonably workable and receptive to tactical innovation. And I've never worried about the 3D matchday. I assume it's just one possible graphical representation of the sums that are being done underneath, and isn't to be taken as gospel. (Maybe I'm wrong?)

Might be quite telling that Marko1989's post is the first mention of the match engine in this thread.

i've always judged the game on immersion and atmosphere. I couldn't care less about the match engine, beyond it being reasonably workable and receptive to tactical innovation. And I've never worried about the 3D matchday. I assume it's just one possible graphical representation of the sums that are being done underneath, and isn't to be taken as gospel. (Maybe I'm wrong?)

Completely agree. The match engine imo was fine in 2D. It would be great if more work went into the immersion then the graphics of the engine.

The ME is fine, I've never bought into "Superkeepers" or anything like that. It's all down to tactics, players and the way the game is setup. I have seen a few matches where one side has had 4/5 CCCs and the other has had 1 and the team with 1 won 1-0. Often in these situations you'll find the chances are from wide or the player is under lots of pressure from defence/GK. No problems with ME from me.

Problem is in shooting, no matter what attributes they have and which tactics you use, there is too much bad shots. You will see very good player get in 5 meters in front of goal and then shot so weak that goalkeeper just catch ball with no problems. You will never see professional players shot so bad that often. And then opponents can't miss, with much worse players and no matter who is your goalkeeper. But ok, this is not thread for that, i just hope they will fix that so i can enjoy FM even more :)

Archived