Board & Fans unhappy...

I don't know what either the board or fans have to be unhappy about when I trade Karl Alzner and Bruno Gervais for Ryan Suter...

Starting with a fantasy draft, the Wild wild were up against the cap and had to move $$ and put Suter on the block. I offered Alzner and Gervais and they accepted. Both the board and fans were unhappy about this trade. This is a few weeks into a new save, so none of the players have developed any sort of reputation at their clubs. I'm beginning to think that the board and fans don't really have any idea about hockey...

• 2 weeks later...
This happens a lot, the board and fans are just not good at analysing trades. I traded some duff players for a 1st overall pick and got McDavid. Board and fans raging.

Were you a playoff team? That may have sometging to do with it. If you weren't in the playoffs or in the race to make it then yea something is wrong there. I think the biggest issue is you being able to trade "duff" players for the #1 pick...

Were you a playoff team? That may have sometging to do with it. If you weren't in the playoffs or in the race to make it then yea something is wrong there. I think the biggest issue is you being able to trade "duff" players for the #1 pick...

As far from the playoffs as I could get, dead last for most of the season and finished bottom 3.

Ok I say 'duff' but that's compared to getting McDavid - Not a guaranteed top pick at that point in the season, but looking certain for top 3 and with my own pick almost a guarantee I'd get him or Einchel and Hanafin.

• SI Staff

I've tweaked the trade reactions from fans/board for the next update with the feedback in mind. However taking a look at a few examples, I suspect that in most cases where users are trading players for picks/prospects, they are doing so with the own team needs still set to contradicting setting and/or without adjusting the squad status of the player they are trading away.

If you have someone as a core player and have not specifically set the team trade philosophy (under team needs) to focusing on youth, then trading such a player for picks is likely to cause bad reactions with the fans and the board as they view situation under the conditions you have set. Changing such a player to be a fringe player will most definitely reduce bad reactions when trading him away.

Archived