Team Rep Growth In Small Leagues, When Does It Rise? & Few Other Minor Questions

Ok so I've been playing for sometime and have been what I'd consider fairly successful, considering I jumped in at the deep end with no guides or help, with a random squad in the lowest league, but I have a couple of questions I'm hoping other fans/players/staff could possibly answer?

1. Can I speak directly to the media myself, or do I have to wait to be asked a question? I'd like to be able to criticize a ref or praise an opposing manager for a close battle in previous game etc? I'm considered media shy despite being openly assertive or passionate and very out spoken, seems odd.

2. When loaning players, I've had their manager moan at me about not playing someone enough, but when people loan my kids as a Key, then have them benched in their U21's, I can't find an option to lose my temper, request more games or even recall them despite setting it as an option?

Now my main question (with a little back story to the situation); I started with Chelmsford (tipped to go down in Conf South), I survived the relegation battle in season 1, season 2 I finished mid-table, season 3 I laid waste to the entire division, ending 2nd and won the playoffs. Season 4 begins in Conf Prem and i'm 2500-1 to win, predicted absolute last. That's fine, I was a playoff winner, I expected to be 23rd or 24th predicted, however I'm not even seen a Conf Prem side? I still can't sign players from the North or South's top 10 and players aren't sure they wanted to stay, being linked with REGIONAL PREM sides? What?

I ignored it, I figured I went up in playoffs I'm expected to go right back down, it'll improve. Mid season and I'm in the playoff position in Conf Prem... still nobody wants to sign from North/South, rejecting my better deals to renew 'Non-contract' terms with their 8th placed side in a division below, despite being given MORE than the terms they asked for from me?

Season 4 continues and I finish mid-table, make Semi-finals in FA Trophy, even make 3rd round of FA Cup, 200k in the bank. Ok now I'm surely seen a safe career change, maybe I can even sign a few lower Conf Prem team stars or loan a League Two prospect? Season 5 comes about... I'm 2500-1 to win, predicted last, still can't sign a star from South/North, nobody will come on loan from Conf Prem?

I've finally had enough, this just doesn't seem right at all, so I finally accept an offer to leave (as League 1 and 2 had been calling all last season and I spoke to them but opted against it, due to loving Chelmsford after so long). I jumped to Oxford (predicted 2nd in League Two), my brother left his Conf South side and actually got my old job at Chelmsford (who were over the moon to attract him as a manager, a division above, despite the fact he had been fired from three teams in South/North in 4 years and got one relegated). He now faces the same issues as me, he can't sign anyone and none of my U21's will go on loan to him, but will happily go to the team bottom of Conf South, despite just coming up from Regional Prem.

This HAS to be a real issue in the rep system surely? Winning the playoffs and coming 2nd, then a mid-table finish in Conf Prem the next year, appears to have failed to improve the club rep in the slightest?

1. No, you can't. You can only speak to them at press conferences, in a tunnel interview or when a journalist approaches you with a specific question. In the lower leagues (as in real life) this doesn't happen very often. In these you can criticise the ref or talk about the opposition manager, if asked.

2. I don't know if you can interact with them at any time, but I do know that you get a news item where your assistant reports that the player isn't being played as promised. You can then, using a link in the news item, interact with that manager. You can only recall a player in a transfer window though.

I don't know enough about the rep system to answer your main question though.

As has been discussed in other threads rep isn't just based on results, the quality of players in your squad, your facilities, how rich/poor you are and several other factors go into the calculation.

In terms of movement I believe your rep will change with every match, a win will see a very small increase while a loss will see it drop by a very small amount. The changes from match results are very, very minor though and not noticable in game. You also get a boost from promotion, cup wins, league wins etc and your rep drops with relegation. However the boost from winning the league or a cup is significantly more than promotion via a playoff or coming runner up in a cup. Its probably too much of a difference IMO but I don;t know the actual numbers.

I appreciate both of your replies, answered all my questions :)

I definitely think the Rep system needs a minor tweak although I'm not sure quite how I would suggest it was done, as it doesn't appear to be a problem in bigger leagues, infact I feel at Oxford i'm capable of attracting players who I shouldn't be able to, regardless of being almost a dead cert for League One (19 points clear top of League Two after 30 games). No way should Premier League veterans want to sign?

Yet Chelmsford have the reverse, they can't even sign stars of a midtable team from the division below, despite being a midtable side in the league above them for two years, financially stable/wealthy etc. Infact the best quality they can attract is Decent Conf South, as they're constantly predicted and seen as a South side, despite handedly hammering half of the Conf Prem division and being stable. My brother is going to have to leave or we'll be forced to make minor tweaks to club rep in the In-Game Editor to try add a tiny bit of realism. He should definitely be able to sign from teams beneath him. First season I understood as he was "expected to go down", top players who're likely to get their squad promoted anyway WOULD be hesistant, but a guy playing for a squad expecting relegation in the divsion below has nothing to lose? Perhaps something such a league survival after a few seasons should cement you as that level side? Unless you're barely surviving of course.

I appreciate both of your replies, answered all my questions :)

I definitely think the Rep system needs a minor tweak although I'm not sure quite how I would suggest it was done, as it doesn't appear to be a problem in bigger leagues, infact I feel at Oxford i'm capable of attracting players who I shouldn't be able to, regardless of being almost a dead cert for League One (19 points clear top of League Two after 30 games). No way should Premier League veterans want to sign?

But Oxford do have history (league cup winners and top flight team only 30 years ago) so they have a much higher reputation than a team promoted from the conference and probably on a par with most league 1 sides many of whom have never played above league 1. This enables them to sign better players, the veterans may not be above league 1 standard anyway.

As mentioned above it is hard to sign players for a team coming up the leagues, signing young players is the way to go as they are more likely to sign and winning things makes a huge difference in rep.

Archived