Renewing contracts too easy?

• 4 weeks later...

Back on this. I signed in the DEL a guy who played in the AHL without much success, Kellen Jones. I sign him with the season already going (needed to replace my first line center who had to miss the season with a bad injury) and I manage to get his signing as low as $66,000 (seems a bit low anyway, but let's go on). Fast forward a few months later, he is the league top scorer. I ask him to renew his contract, he asks me only $80,000. He showed to be a top player in the league, why he doesn't ask me top player money?

• SI Staff

This is because the wage demands are closely tied to the player reputation. And the player reputations at the moment are not changing dynamically enough within the season depending on the player production for example. This is one of the long term issues on my list but again, it is not something that can be simply changed with a few lines of code as it requires some careful balancing as well.

Hrm, instead of needing to change the reputation dynamically more during the season (which sounds awesome btw :-D ), would it be possible as a short term "fix" to add weights from average rating and/or if possible role specific "key stats" (e.g. goals scored, points or shots blocked)?

That is, salary demands could be based on reputation and then "scaled" afterwards according to the above weights?

Then perhaps players with 8.0 Avr Rating won't accept very low salary demands?

Hopefully this could make the game more challenging. It is hard to resist not offering that cheap re-sign contract to players even though you know they should be worth more! ;-)

Thanks!

Archived