Reaction Mode Enabled

I'm Millwall. I'm not in the position to dominate clubs so I'm informed by the media and the bookies. I'm wondering if you do the same as me though?

I find myself when in game, just reacting to everything my assistant manager is telling me or what I'm seeing on the field. It seems like a sensible thing to do but it never allows me to play the way I want to play. I scrape by and win games, but never impose my idea of how I'd like to play.

Is this common with mid club management. Do you find yourself, closing down half the opposition and man marking people to get dragged around to score on the counter...or do you play your way and let the result follow.

No.. I generally ignore 95% of what the ass man says during a match, I haven't found it very intuitive and as you say, it completely overrides and doesn't take into account the way i've set my side to play in terms of the overall tactic.

I'm pretty much the same, only really take notice of player knocks.

If my assman was truly a technical genius, he wouldn't be working for me, he's be managing his own club. (I just resent that when I'm playing direct he tells me to retain possession and pass shorter, and then tells me I should tightly mark all 11 opposition players.)

It doesn't feel like the assistant manager is just in the game to be annoying, I do believe he's there for a reason. Yet all you guys ignore him. The game must be trying to tell us something with his comments, or are his comments only relevant to the pressing style and playing style of his attributes?

Assistant Manager comments just contradict themselves all the time, so he gets ignored.

Always start a game with my own game plan and change it according to the situation, most of the time it is because the opposition manager changes formation at HT.

The assman can tell you things like that "there are to much space between the midfield and the striker" when you set your absolut most defensive tactic the last 3-4 minutes and you are leading by 3 goals. It's like he has no clue to what you are doing and of no worth.

Don't get me wrong.. he isn't completely useless...

I will look at what he says, i.e see if I could do with pressing more .. but generally I will already be ahead of him in terms of knowing what I want to do... nice to have someone else's opinion though I guess.

I always though the Assistant's advice is based on Match Stats, therefore I believe it can be misleading.

Yeah, "More crosses, we're winning all our headers" sounds sensible, until you realise it's your defence winning headers.

Also "we're lucky to be ahead" as the other team have more possession. I'm playing an attacking game and 5-1 up...

It'd be interesting if different Ass Men gave you different info, depending on their style, Meaning you'd want to sign one who matches your vision. Picking one who likes patient possession game, so won't tell you to be more direct when you're controlling things, or an attacker who won't tell you to slow down when bombarding teams. They could give you advice to cultivate your style, or pick out issues.

Imagine an assman that'd say, "their left back is on a mare(or "is a weak point"), might be worth focusing our attack on that flank", or "their defence seems slow, we could speed up to take advantage", or in a reversal of a current ass man comment, "they have a large gap between midfield and defence today, we could exploit that".

Not only would it make the ass man more relevant, it could make the game more accessible to players who could do with some tactical support.

Archived