Sports Interactive Community
heavybassX

Wales overtakes England in FIFA rankings

Havent paid much attention to other forums so dunno the general reaction to this, but dunno how anyone would care if Wales are above England when the same system has Romania as 7th best :D

Wales arent even playing that well. Its just they have Bale. If you watched them last night you would see a very average side, who rely 1000% on one player to make something happen. Fair enough the defence looked solid enough, but its really not a great team playing well.

Wales arent even playing that well. Its just they have Bale. If you watched them last night you would see a very average side, who rely 1000% on one player to make something happen. Fair enough the defence looked solid enough, but its really not a great team playing well.

Yeah if you watched us last night. But the rankings aren't based on last night

Tbf Bale has done amazing to not make us concede from open play in the last 15 months

Lots of teams have done this, Portugal have been doing it the last few years.

Wales have a good team, Bale just stands out because he is a world class player and can change any game with a piece of brilliance.

Wales are getting a prolonged run of good results against decent opposition while they were a lowly ranking, it makes sense that they would rise. They are clearly not as good as their ranking, but the form is what puts them that high.

Makes no sense to complain about the rankings when we know the accuracy of them. :D

Ive watched more than just last night. There has not been one game i have seen Wales play and thought you guys were great. You have a superstar who carries you through everything. Take Bale out of that side and you would have 1 or 2 wins at most.

Lots of teams have done this, Portugal having been doing it the last few years.

Wales have a good team, Bale just stands out because he is a world class player and can change any game with a piece of brilliance.

Not disputing that at all. I dont think i stated that Portugal were a good team. Its just people are getting carried away here. Wales are bang average, but having good results and have a world class player to drag them through tough games. Hardly a team that is a match for all of Europe bar Germany.

Not disputing that at all. I dont think i stated that Portugal were a good team. Its just people are getting carried away here. Wales are bang average, but having good results and have a world class player to drag them through tough games. Hardly a team that is a match for all of Europe bar Germany.

I was just saying that there have been many teams that could be described as 'average' but have done well because they have a world class player, I used Portugal as an example.

I do not get it, is Bale not part of the Wales team. You criticise the team and then say they only get results because of Bale......who is part of that team.

If an 11 gets results over another 11 then whether 1 guy was doing all the lifting while the other 10 smoked fags or whether all 11 were doing little bits is for the analysis guys and not conversation about rankings

It would be the same for England or Scotland without... err... Oh.

It would be the same for England or Scotland without... err... Oh.

Yeah, I've got nothing.

Well maybe thank God for the long ball to the tallest guy we could find that can kick a ball?

Where would we be without that!

Ive watched more than just last night. There has not been one game i have seen Wales play and thought you guys were great. You have a superstar who carries you through everything. Take Bale out of that side and you would have 1 or 2 wins at most.

I disagree but let's say you're right, so what? we aren't cheating, he's Welsh :D

1 man team? Did Bale deliver that wonderful cross to himself?

Would England collect 4 points, concede 0 gosls vs Belgium?

would you smash Israel away 3-0 assertively?

Would you have only conceded 2 goals from open-play if you were in OUR group?

Do you have anywhere near our team-spirit to grind through games like we have?

Answer please. Also willing to say that Ashley Williams is superior to any English centre back at the minute.

Now on a lighter note.

We are better than you at football.

We are better than you at Rugby.

Now sit down.

Buddy, it's a Scotish fan who's saying you are a one man team.

Way to ignore the fact that it is also a Scottish fan that is disagreeing with him. >->

Answer please. Also willing to say that Ashley Williams is superior to any English centre back at the minute.

Now on a lighter note.

Now sit down.

Best post in the whole thread so far for so many reason :D

Now on a lighter note.

Now sit down.

This could backfire if you don't make it out of the RWC group

I'm sure I see somewhere that of the 9 goals Wales have scored in qualifying, Bale has either scored or assisted 8 of those. Quite extraordinary.

Pretty sure if we never qualified for major tournaments or played friendlies we'd be constantly ranked as the best side in World. That's how much of a joke the rankings are. Unbeaten in 25 Qualifying games.

Wales are just enjoying a bit of long overdue success, don't get why people have to get so wound up about it.

Up to fourth in the rankings if we beat Israel :thup:

Up to second if Belgium fail to win and Germany drop points.

#MINDTHEGAP

You English and Welsh guys are using this football thing to hide your real feelings, deep down you are so depressed that you don't have any good tennis players that you will cling to anything!!

:D

Luckily for bluebirds, Gregg's posts makes it seem reasonable. Still, it's cute that the Welsh consider this such a big achievement to be above us.

Luckily for bluebirds, Gregg's posts makes it seem reasonable. Still, it's cute that the Welsh consider this such a big achievement to be above us.

We see it more as being hilarious considering you are 20 times the size of us etc yet still our small, proud nation are better than you at both sports. :D

Rod emoji.

I'm still amazed that anyone think the Welsh are taking it seriously at all.

It's literally just an excuse to poke the English.

We see it more as being hilarious considering you are 20 times the size of us etc yet still our small, proud nation are better than you at both sports. :D

Rod emoji.

Still no World Cups to show in either sport :(

It's true though, Wales have never bought themselves a World Cup.

Way to ignore the fact that it is also a Scottish fan that is disagreeing with him. >->

The idea that someone who supports Scotland can't point out a possible flaw of another nation is absurd in the first place.

It's like arguing that no non-Chelsea supporter can say anything about their current issues cause they all finished behind them last season.

The idea that someone who supports Scotland can't point out a possible flaw of another nation is absurd in the first place.

It's like arguing that no non-Chelsea supporter can say anything about their current issues cause they all finished behind them last season.

You never learn.

I give up.

Rankings are based on results the higher ranked the team you beat the more points you gain. And this is a result based table and has nothing to do with how you play you don't gain points for flair, if they did then Wales would be even further ahead of England.

You never learn.

I give up.

What exactly did I say that you disagree with here?

Now on a lighter note.

Now sit down.

And even one of the most famous English dynasties (the Tudor) were originally Welsh. :cool:

would England only beat Cyprus 1-0?

I dont think so.

yes the table is based on who you play.. so that makes it more of a farce when one country lands an easier group then another.

Israel away... 3-0? easier then beating Switzerland away?

who is better now according to the rankings?

the rankings dont mean jack to find out who is better.. because of random factors like the groups they are in :lol:

and yea.. again.. Romania 7th.. Romania are better then England also?

would England only beat Cyprus 1-0?

I dont think so.

yes the table is based on who you play.. so that makes it more of a farce when one country lands an easier group then another.

Israel away... 3-0? easier then beating Switzerland away?

who is better now according to the rankings?

the rankings dont mean jack to find out who is better.. because of random factors like the groups they are in :lol:

and yea.. again.. Romania 7th.. Romania are better then England also?

On a hot, sticky night in Nicosia? Seeing how England regularly perform in those conditions? Then yes I think 1-0 would be a likely scoreline for England too.

I'm still amazed that anyone think the Welsh are taking it seriously at all.

It's literally just an excuse to poke the English.

FIFA rankings are nonsense (i'm Welsh), they haven't done us any favours over the years, meaning we (used to :D) get the creme de la creme of Europe for both qualifying campaigns.

That's the only reason i am happy with where we are now in the rankings, it makes staying high up in the rankings easier, not playing Germany, Italy, etc every campaign :D

Scott - are you saying Wales have an easier qualifying group than England? I'm not sure that is the case...

Certainly not when we came in as 4th seeds (or was it 5th)

Remember thinking we had a shot at 2nd place if everything went our way

Yeah, our thoughts were pretty much, well 3rd will be tough with that, but achievable & that if we got lucky with the other sides taking points off each other, we could possibly get 2nd and avoid the playoffs.

The team have been amazing though. The first XI along with those that have stepped in really coped with things.

Another thing about the win against Cyprus, it's worth remembering that we had a perfectly legitimate goal ruled out unfairly & had a shout for a Penalty that while would have been harsh, you regularly see given.

Wales of a few years ago would have crumbled at that and lost the match, instead they used it as motivation to keep going and get the result. Surely that's one of the things that marks out a good side? Getting a result even when things are going against you?

Hell, Manchester United made a habit out of that under Fergie, didn't they Scott?

I'm pretty confident that Wales would be more than 3-0 up vs San Marino too.

Even more proof that we are the stronger nation at this present moment in time.

England are one of the nations that I would be happy to be drawn against in the euros next year.