Sports Interactive Community
heavybassX

Wales overtakes England in FIFA rankings

Did you miss what this threads been talking about since like the 4th post?

Exactly. England are apparently the 5th best side in Europe according to the rankings and this thread has been about wales not getting beaten by the top sides in Europe apart from Germany. Come on, making yourself look a bit silly now.

By how much? Is it very close, close or a foregone conclusion that you'd hammer us 9 times out of 10. Intruiged.

On neutral ground probably 7/8 out of 10. Be the odd game where Bale would just turn it on but with Wilshere playing like he has for England the last half year or so we'd keep the ball better than Joe Ledley or whoever and hurt your defence more often than you'd hurt us. I have seen a couple of Wales games this qualifying and even with Bale/Ramsey you've hardly been playing good football bar the Israel game after Bale ruined that defender who got two yellow cards in a minute.

On neutral ground probably 7/8 out of 10. Be the odd game where Bale would just turn it on but with Wilshere playing like he has for England the last half year or so we'd keep the ball better than Joe Ledley or whoever and hurt your defence more often than you'd hurt us. I have seen a couple of Wales games this qualifying and even with Bale/Ramsey you've hardly been playing good football bar the Israel game after Bale ruined that defender who got two yellow cards in a minute.

:D

I'm out.

By how much? Is it very close, close or a foregone conclusion that you'd hammer us 9 times out of 10. Intruiged.
I think it would be close...i think of the rankings more about tiers/levels of quality...with 5 or 6 in each tier, all of who could have equal success against one another regularly. England would probs be bottom of the second tier, wales probs top of the 3rd tier...so in terms of a record between a succession of matches it would definitely be close, but England would just about shade it overall. Mind you, if Wales continue with their form and results, especially in a tournament, then they'd be moving above England into tier 2. I think that makes sense, if you know what I mean, well it makes sense in my head.

P.S. There's no way Romania are in the top 2 tiers either :D

Don't know why I have been drawn into this, coz I bloody like Wales. One of my oldest mates is Welsh and always had a soft spot for them (except in Rugby but that's a different story). So I don't want to look like I'm picking on them. I hope they qualifiy for the Euros and the next WC and do well.

I just wondered what results recently have put Wales at this level that Greg claimed he thought they were. Because if you look at their results for the past 3/4/5 years they aren't as good as a lot of nations (and that includes England). I just wanted to know how he'd reached that conclusion.

Jaysus!!

It is a ranking, not a definitive proof of who is better. If results go your way, then you move up the rankings just like other sports.

As everyone in these teams know how rankings work, they have no excuse for letting their team slid down to a point where it might affect seeding.

England are a better side than Wales more of the time. If they had drawn England, rather than Scotland, I'd expect England to win both matches, just like they're probably going to win both matches against us. If you extended it out to this hypothetical super series of 10, I'd expect England to win in 7 out of the 10. Maybe a couple of draws, and one Wales win. There wouldn't be any hammerings - England rarely do unless you're an uber-diddy. They'd probably do just enough to win on most of those occasions.

Jaysus!!

It is a ranking, not a definitive proof of who is better. If results go your way, then you move up the rankings just like other sports.

As everyone in these teams know how rankings work, they have no excuse for letting their team slid down to a point where it might affect seeding.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Yet for some reason, Holland decided to play a literally meaningless friendly before the World Cup, dropping them down to pot 2. It ended up not mattering, but when Scotland announced a friendly with Qatar of all places, it looked very likely that that decision would cost us a pot 2 spot. In the end if we'd beaten Ireland (we didn't) we'd have been fine, but while saying "they should know" is absolutely correct, it doesn't always happen that way.

Jaysus!!

We all know that, I don't think anyone has said they value the rankings for determining the quality of each side. They're just a way of using the results to track performance and say who has had a better record over a recent time period. The debate has come from Gregg's statement, not the rankngs themselves.

We all know that, I don't think anyone has said they value the rankings for determining the quality of each side. They're just a way of using the results to track performance and say who has had a better record over a recent time period. The debate has come from Gregg's statement, not the rankngs themselves.

I guess so except for these two gems from the guys driving the thread.....

They are about to suggest that Wales are a better team than England, isn't that reason enough?
Wales (in this case) are now a better team despite not playing a game that actually helps define it.

It seems some people seem to believe that rankings are saying that the higher team is better. :lol:

I think it would be close...i think of the rankings more about tiers/levels of quality...with 5 or 6 in each tier, all of who could have equal success against one another regularly. England would probs be bottom of the second tier, wales probs top of the 3rd tier...so in terms of a record between a succession of matches it would definitely be close, but England would just about shade it overall. Mind you, if Wales continue with their form and results, especially in a tournament, then they'd be moving above England into tier 2. I think that makes sense, if you know what I mean, well it makes sense in my head.

P.S. There's no way Romania are in the top 2 tiers either :D

Sensible post :thup:

Where would people rank Slovakia and Iceland then compared to Wales/rest of Europe? Both having excellent qualifying results in tough groups yet I don't think that makes them the equal of any side in Europe bar Germany

Tier 3? Something like that. They're doing well, but you'd love to draw them still in qualifying or tournament groups.

Belgium are second in the world despite their recent form against Wales (the current qualifiers) being one draw followed by one loss...

The system baffles...

Belgium are good but at the moment are not even the best team in their qualifying group, never mind Europe...

Belgium are second in the world despite their recent form against Wales (the current qualifiers) being one draw followed by one loss...

The system baffles...

Belgium are good but at the moment are not even the best team in their qualifying group, never mind Europe...

Belgium also beat France a few days previously, although only in a friendly, so they would have got points for that. Plus points from four years ago have since dropped off, which pushed them above Germany. In Belgium's case, they're going to lose some relatively poor results. Over the next year, they'll lose 2 defeats, 4 draws, and 3 wins. And those three wins were against USA, Kazakhstan and Romania, who were probably not ranked too highly at the time.

Unless they absolutely ruin things for themselves, Belgium will be up top for the next year or so. The year after that, you move into the WC Qualifying campaign where they battered most sides, so they should level off then.

Can I request a mod to close this? I'm pretty sure that this thread has run its course.

Belgium also beat France a few days previously, although only in a friendly, so they would have got points for that. Plus points from four years ago have since dropped off, which pushed them above Germany. In Belgium's case, they're going to lose some relatively poor results. Over the next year, they'll lose 2 defeats, 4 draws, and 3 wins. And those three wins were against USA, Kazakhstan and Romania, who were probably not ranked too highly at the time.

Unless they absolutely ruin things for themselves, Belgium will be up top for the next year or so. The year after that, you move into the WC Qualifying campaign where they battered most sides, so they should level off then.

nah we're hoping we'll have a competent tactician as manager by then and batter sides once more.

The system baffles...

Yes but Belgium are far better than England though

nah we're hoping we'll have a competent tactician as manager by then and batter sides once more.

Most certainly have the potential to.

Can I request a mod to close this? I'm pretty sure that this thread has run its course.

Wales haven't overtaken England yet

Wales haven't overtaken England yet

When that does happen, thus the request to close the thread.

Wales has now finally surpassed England:

CN94s-dW8AAKxOv.jpg

Congratulations to Wales - enjoy it while it lasts. Would expect it to last until after the Euros barring a Wales collapse in qualifying, or England doing worse in the finals tournament.

Just read this thread, what an absolute train wreck!

It just goes to show, nothing good ever comes from FIFA.

;)

Just read this thread, what an absolute train wreck!

It just goes to show, nothing good ever comes from FIFA.

;)

You have to dance to the tune of the rules though, and Wales body-popped their way to pot 1. Good on them. At the same time, England tried the Charleston. Poor technical execution, but they got the credit. Scotland came in wind-milling and square-go-ing. We also played Qatar. So we're in pot 3.

This metaphor may not be entirely accurate.

It's like I said this last month, the English fans went into a farce and now the evidence is clearly there to see.

Wales qualifies for Euro 2016 tonight

Well done Wales, they've obviously improved no end in recent years. But I hope we don't get fans and the media going too OTT and gushing. 2 years ago this would have been a much more impressive achievement, however under the current system half of Europe will qualify for the championships anyway. You have to be really bad to not qualify this year, like, Scotland bad!

Romania been in the top 10 for ages :lol:

and no games yet wales move up above England.. what a farce these ranks are :lol:

Because other games from the very bottom of the rankings leave said rankings. When this period of ranking points started, Wales were ****, and England were better. So England stand to lose much more, particularly on months where there are no games, than Wales do. Pretty simple, right?

In fact, it's only going to get better - next month an England win over Wales drops off the rankings. Wales good form recently will be boosted by the fact that such wonderful results as losing two out of their three matches at the Carling Nations Cup - a pumping by the Republic of Ireland and Scotland, and a win over N. Ireland. Also a comfortable defeat against England. No wonder Wales have improved so much.

World Rankings have and always will be pointless. The system for working out rankings is something Fifa designed, so of course its going to be *****.

If they continue beating teams in competitive matches and avoid playing friendlies as it will lessen their rank score, then yes they will

World Rankings have and always will be pointless. The system for working out rankings is something Fifa designed, so of course its going to be *****.

All ranking systems are inherently bad because you can play the system if you want or it can give flawed outcomes like in Tennis.

It is like most people want rankings to be opinion based. You need to have a points system where you can chart your future as long as the results come in.

And yet the English seem to be so massively butthurt over it, it's hilarious.

Wales have certainly played far better than England in the past 2 years.

Take the World Cup out, on paper results wise probably not.