Sports Interactive Community
heavybassX

Wales overtakes England in FIFA rankings

A draw with France and narrow wins over Sweden and Ukraine?

Yeah, like I say, it's not saying much is it :D. I guess you could argue 2004/2006 were equal to it, but were Portugal really all that back then? They clearly aren't at the moment other than Ronaldo.

Yeah, like I say, it's not saying much is it :D. I guess you could argue 2004/2006 were equal to it, but were Portugal really all that back then? They clearly aren't at the moment other than Ronaldo.

They had a guy called Luis Figo who was quite good.

"Wales have moved up to ninth in the rankings, and they are set to overtake England NEXT MONTH"

Yes, actually. It's the first line of the article.

They've changed the article :D

Was saying will overtake England when they come out today

I think Carter wrote the article

I still point to my earlier post about Romania...no more is needed to be said about the rankings when Romania are judged to be so high.

To be honest I'd say Wales are currently the better team. England really just a bunch of overrated individuals. But England still should be higher in the rankings due to the fact they nearly always qualify and reach knockout rounds at major tournaments.

Delusional to think England winning is a foregone conclusion. Sure they haven't beaten Ireland in my lifetime and we're garbage!

Who in the England team is overrated anymore? Rooney? No one else thinks any of the other guys are outstanding yet they are still better than any Welsh players bar Ramsey and Bale.

England haven't played Ireland in a competitive fixture since 1991 so no, you probably haven't seen that.

Love how Ackter is calling this crying considering how his posting in the FM on Sky thread.

interesting that the article says: "Read more: How Wales went from 17th to the top 10 in the world" and then there is a picture of Gareth Bale below it

be interesting to see how Wales play without Bale and Ramsey actually

So Gareth Bale is now ranked 9 in the world? Interesting.

The arrogance of most England fans is painful. Wales have earned the right to be where they are in the rankings. Very good team.

Be similar to when we played Scotland away and their fans thought they'd get a result against a poor England side. Didn't even get out of 2nd gear and won with ease.

Must have missed that vote of all Scotland fans. I expected England to win that game. It was a few days after the qualifier against Ireland which was a physical encounter.

going to be beautiful when wales finish bottom of their euro 16 group with a point picked up against scotland

FIFA rankings have always had a touch of comedy to them down to the regional nature of the rankings.

All i care about when the rankings are announced is what pool Wales are in.

And judging by our WCQ 2018 group it really does help the higher you are ranked :D

I don't know why people are surprised.

Wales have two world class players compared to England's 0. One that is arguably a top 5 player in the world and in a position where it matters most.

The majority of the rest of both teams are made up of decent PL players.

Both teams have zero world class players. Wales have a player who had a world class season 3 years ago.

Both teams have zero world class players. Wales have a player who had a world class season 3 years ago.

What about Milner? ;)

I think Ramsey is great but he's not better than Rooney. Bale is obviously world class though.

I know Chopra is trolling but the difference between Wales top players and ours is smaller in their favour than the gap between the rest of their squad and ours in England's favour. Hal Robson-Kanu and Chris Gunter :D :D :D absolute jokers. I have also seen enough of Simon Church the last few years to wonder if I could get in the Wales squad ahead of him if I was born there.

I'd be confident of easily beating Wales if the game was played tomorrow.

Be similar to when we played Scotland away and their fans thought they'd get a result against a poor England side. Didn't even get out of 2nd gear and won with ease.

Belgium despite their array of stars, seem to be boring and slow whenever I've seen them so hardly a measurement of where you are in Europe beating them, although it was still a fantastic result for Wales giving their size and stature.

I'd be fairly confident of England beating Wales. The match you mention against Scotland is the case in point. I went into that hoping we could do something against England, but it was a chasing in the end. We had had a very tough match against Ireland prior, and it was "just a friendly", but England looked comfortably better. It showed when Andy Robertson scored, we hoped, and then Rooney danced forward and restored the lead within a couple of minutes.

The point is, if England had to raise it, they would. They're unbeaten in qualifiers for something stupid like forty years, and mostly play well within themselves. The match at Wembley against Scotland was far closer, for example, as I think England turned up thinking it'd just be a bog standard friendly that they'd win easily. They did win, but a lot closer than a year later at Parkhead.

As for Wales themselves, they've done well to get where they are, but reading some of the comments in here...jesus. A match for any nation apart from Germany? Your real test will be in the Euros, when you'll be in a pretty low pot I imagine. I could maybe see them getting 3rd in a group, and getting through to the 2nd round thanks to the Euros new "qualification for everyone" model, but beyond that? Pride comes before a fall.

The arrogance of most England fans is painful. Wales have earned the right to be where they are in the rankings. Very good team.

Most? It's a minority, as it is with any country. The minority might shout the loudest, but them's the breaks. We've got Wales fans predicting the second coming and that Wales are a match for anyone but Germany. We've got Scotland fans saying we'll beat Georgia, Poland and Germany in our next three games and qualify easily. We had Republic of Ireland fans saying they would easily qualify ahead of Scotland.

Whereas the majority of most fans just quietly stay realistic. If you'd rather get all twisted up about the arrogance of it all though, then go ahead.

As a general point, if I was a Wales fan, I'd be desperately, desperately praying that neither of Bale or Ramsey get injured. Without them, can any of them honestly say they'd be where they are now? They could go to France next year and carry their nation to a really late stage of the tournament given a good draw, or they could both pick up injuries and watch from home as they get papped out in the group stage. They lack depth.

Who in the England team is overrated anymore? Rooney? No one else thinks any of the other guys are outstanding yet they are still better than any Welsh players bar Ramsey and Bale.

England haven't played Ireland in a competitive fixture since 1991 so no, you probably haven't seen that.

Love how Ackter is calling this crying considering how his posting in the FM on Sky thread.

I've been alive for the last 4 competitive games actually! But I was mainly referring the the 2 friendlies in recent years since Englands friendly win over Scotland is being used as a comparative.

At least half the squad has been overrated either past or present. Sterling, Barkley, Jones, Hart and Wilshere would be a few to spring to mind. Kane to an extent but we'll see how he performs this year. Wales play better as a team and I think they would win if the 2 sides faced one another on current form but England should still be ranked higher

Apart from the fact we're a far superior team than Scotland at this moment in time, we beat them twice in the last campaign and they've got no one like Bale and Ramsey that can hurt you ... yeah, I guess it'd be exactly like when England played Scotland and didn't get out of second gear...

I'd be fairly confident of England beating Wales. The match you mention against Scotland is the case in point. I went into that hoping we could do something against England, but it was a chasing in the end. We had had a very tough match against Ireland prior, and it was "just a friendly", but England looked comfortably better. It showed when Andy Robertson scored, we hoped, and then Rooney danced forward and restored the lead within a couple of minutes.

The point is, if England had to raise it, they would. They're unbeaten in qualifiers for something stupid like forty years, and mostly play well within themselves. The match at Wembley against Scotland was far closer, for example, as I think England turned up thinking it'd just be a bog standard friendly that they'd win easily. They did win, but a lot closer than a year later at Parkhead.

As for Wales themselves, they've done well to get where they are, but reading some of the comments in here...jesus. A match for any nation apart from Germany? Your real test will be in the Euros, when you'll be in a pretty low pot I imagine. I could maybe see them getting 3rd in a group, and getting through to the 2nd round thanks to the Euros new "qualification for everyone" model, but beyond that? Pride comes before a fall.

Most? It's a minority, as it is with any country. The minority might shout the loudest, but them's the breaks. We've got Wales fans predicting the second coming and that Wales are a match for anyone but Germany. We've got Scotland fans saying we'll beat Georgia, Poland and Germany in our next three games and qualify easily. We had Republic of Ireland fans saying they would easily qualify ahead of Scotland.

Whereas the majority of most fans just quietly stay realistic. If you'd rather get all twisted up about the arrogance of it all though, then go ahead.

As a general point, if I was a Wales fan, I'd be desperately, desperately praying that neither of Bale or Ramsey get injured. Without them, can any of them honestly say they'd be where they are now? They could go to France next year and carry their nation to a really late stage of the tournament given a good draw, or they could both pick up injuries and watch from home as they get papped out in the group stage. They lack depth.

In fairness I mean most in this thread have laughed at the idea of Wales being as good as England.

Apart from the fact we're a far superior team than Scotland at this moment in time, we beat them twice in the last campaign and they've got no one like Bale and Ramsey that can hurt you

That would be the qualifying campaign where Scotland finished above Wales.

Arrogance? I don't think so.

Pretty much only came in here to get one of the Wales fans to say they were one of the bestest teams in the world. Mission accomplished.

How many WC's and EURO's they qualified for lately?

:D:applause:

We were on about one-off matches weren't we?

Plus if you're talking generally then quite clearly a load has changed since then. You should maybe visit this site and argue over who will get more points in the next campaign .. www.faroeislandsfootball.co.uk/forums

I've been alive for the last 4 competitive games actually! But I was mainly referring the the 2 friendlies in recent years since Englands friendly win over Scotland is being used as a comparative.

At least half the squad has been overrated either past or present. Sterling, Barkley, Jones, Hart and Wilshere would be a few to spring to mind. Kane to an extent but we'll see how he performs this year. Wales play better as a team and I think they would win if the 2 sides faced one another on current form but England should still be ranked higher

Well I'd say friendlies are irrelevant, if they do when have Wales beat Brazil or Spain in recent years? I guess England vs Ireland/Scotland are played fairly competitively but it's still not the same as two leg qualification games and in those I'd be confident of at least a home win/draw away against both.

I don't agree with Sterling but he is the only one of those I can understand why he could be seen as overrated. No one thinks Hart is the best keeper in the world but he's a top 5 keeper in the Prem and that is fine at the moment. Wilshere's performances when fit has been worthy of the praise he has got and he has changed the way we have played, but everyone also acknowledges that he is too injury prone. Jones is widely considered a joke inclusion. Barkley doesn't even play much for us. Even if they are overrated, bar maybe Jones they would all walk into the Welsh side as would many players on our fringes. I'd say our performance away to Switzerland shows that we aren't exactly a team of individuals or anything and Welbeck's inclusion/form despite him struggling domestically also shows that we are a pretty good but not great team.

We were on about one-off matches weren't we?

Carter used the exact wording...

I believe that currently, of the top European teams, there's only Germany that would beat us more times than we would beat them.

I don't doubt that Wales have the quality to win a one-off home game against most European teams with a Bale winner or whatever, but winning more games than not is laughable and I think will look very laughable next summer.

Carter used the exact wording...

I don't doubt that Wales have the quality to win a one-off home game against most European teams with a Bale winner or whatever, but winning more games than not is laughable and I think will look very laughable next summer.

There are still draws in world football you know?

If you say you would win more against a team than you would lose then by definition you are saying that Wales are better than said team aren't you? :D

Draws are irrelevant

Weirdly I am aware of that yes, but if you think you can get scrappy draws against everyone, you aren't beating them more times than not...

If you say you would win more against a team than you would lose then by definition you are saying that Wales are better than said team aren't you? :D

Draws are irrelevant

Read my post again. My post was about a side beating us more often, not about us beating other sides more often. Again I was very specific & deliberate with my language. Its not my fault that you lack the ability to read.

so you think if you played spain, argentina, holland, colombia and germany all in say a best of 5 series, only germany would have at least a winning record against you?

Yeah England are better than Wales. My guess is this is to do with Wales beating the highly ranked but not actually that good Belgium team?

so you think if you played spain, argentina, holland, colombia and germany all in say a best of 5 series, only germany would have at least a winning record against you?

2 of those teams arent European, which is what he stipulated, hes still wrong though

replace argentina and colombia with england and portugal then. belgium and romania aren't top european teams so lets not include them

There'd be at least 5 or 6 teams that I'd say would beat Wales on a regular basis. Wales are good, they've got enough in them to beat any team on their day, but they're not that good yet.

Just waiting for the Belgians to rock up in here now, responding to the various posts about how they're not a top team. It's usually Gorando that takes most offence.

Apart from the fact we're a far superior team than Scotland at this moment in time, we beat them twice in the last campaign and they've got no one like Bale and Ramsey that can hurt you ... yeah, I guess it'd be exactly like when England played Scotland and didn't get out of second gear...

:lol:

You're forgetting - although you've been reminded since, so it's OK - that we actually finished above you, despite two absolute horror-shows in Cardiff and Glasgow. And at the risk of sounding like I'm on the verge of tears, you hardly pummeled us either. Two matches that could have very much gone either way, particularly the one in Cardiff, settled by one moment of magic and one questionable tumble to the ground. You can use those two matches to argue you're better by all means, but remember, it was a group stage. There are other sides to play. We finished above you based on results against other sides. In a group we absolutely stank out early on. Ooft.

True that we don't really have any World Class players. I guess we may as well just give up then. Never mind that we stand a decent chance of qualifying automatically from a very tough group, and an even greater chance of a playoff. I guess without World Class players there is just no point. I'll write to Gordon Strachan immediately and be down at Hampden to just pull the thing down. Anyone else with me?

But then the thing about World Class players and not much depth is that you're going to feel the absence of those players more. If we don't have Scott Brown in our side, we'll probably struggle, maybe similar with Anya or Naismith, but it's more of a case of us being slightly weakened and perhaps changing our game-plan. If Wales lose Bale and Ramsey...well, it's a disaster for them.

Wales are enjoying quite the purple patch at the moment. Hopefully they stay there, joined by Scotland. But, as is the way with International football when you're a smaller nation outwith the top table, it's going to be cyclical. If I was in Wales position, I wouldn't be planning the victory parade live from Cardiff Castle just yet.

TBF guys remember when Montenegro shot up the world rankings?

If I were a Welsh fan I'd hope that the FAW would use this new status to pump money into the domestic league to help it catch up as the Welsh Premier League, in terms of coefficient, is one of the worst in Europe and really needs investment where it can get it. Help the domestic clubs develop their youth structures so that they can produce their own talented players instead of always relying on Cardiff/Swansea/Wrexham/Newport to produce players. It'll be a slow process but Scottish football is starting to see some decent youngsters coming through now they're focussing on the youth structure rather than just spending on ageing stars and it's the best way to have sustainable success.

Just waiting for the Belgians to rock up in here now, responding to the various posts about how they're not a top team. It's usually Gorando that takes most offence.

But we're not a top team though.^^

TBF guys remember when Montenegro shot up the world rankings?

If I were a Welsh fan I'd hope that the FAW would use this new status to pump money into the domestic league to help it catch up as the Welsh Premier League, in terms of coefficient, is one of the worst in Europe and really needs investment where it can get it. Help the domestic clubs develop their youth structures so that they can produce their own talented players instead of always relying on Cardiff/Swansea/Wrexham/Newport to produce players. It'll be a slow process but Scottish football is starting to see some decent youngsters coming through now they're focussing on the youth structure rather than just spending on ageing stars and it's the best way to have sustainable success.

It's become almost a cliche to say that though. I don't think Scottish football as a unit is doing that, and any clubs that are (there are definitely plenty) aren't doing it through help from the SFA.

The best example of that would be the DFB after Germany got put out of one of the Euros (2000 was it?). They tore everything up and started again pretty much, and 14 years later they were World Champions. But that is Germany, who do everything absolutely right and have the funding to do what they like. Is this new status going to bring them enough money to do what you're asking? I have my doubts.

If they qualify they'll get more money.

But still, if you don't have a good domestic league you'll never have a sustainable national team. You can't rely on two teams and the occasional Gareth Bale/Aaron Ramsey for success, the whole domestic set up needs to be top quality.

if I were in the FAW I'd propose a short term goal to have at least one Welsh Premier League product, still playing in the Welsh League, called up to the national team within a set time frame.

If they qualify they'll get more money.

I know they'll get more money, but what you're suggesting takes more than "more money". It'll take fortunes. Germany were already pretty good before they set their plan in place, Wales are light-years behind somewhere like England, and still pretty far behind the regularly mocked Scottish leagues.

But still, if you don't have a good domestic league you'll never have a sustainable national team. You can't rely on two teams and the occasional Gareth Bale/Aaron Ramsey for success, the whole domestic set up needs to be top quality.

Really? Can't agree. Brazil won World Cups before they had any sort of organised leagues. Different era, of course, but still a pertinent point. In fact, I'd go as far as to say as long as you're producing the players, it doesn't matter at all where they're playing. Bale and Ramsey are Welsh, and developed in spite of the Welsh league. They can do it again. England have wonderful facilities all over the shop, and a supposedly top league - where are their stars?

I still think Wales do need a much better league than they currently have as it can only benefit them.

If I ever won one of those ridiculous Euromillions jackpots I'd probably eventually buy a crappy Welsh team. First I'd buy FC Hound Dogs of Gibraltar and make it my goal to get them to the Champions League Group Stages though.

:lol:

You're forgetting - although you've been reminded since, so it's OK - that we actually finished above you, despite two absolute horror-shows in Cardiff and Glasgow. And at the risk of sounding like I'm on the verge of tears, you hardly pummeled us either. Two matches that could have very much gone either way, particularly the one in Cardiff, settled by one moment of magic and one questionable tumble to the ground. You can use those two matches to argue you're better by all means, but remember, it was a group stage. There are other sides to play. We finished above you based on results against other sides. In a group we absolutely stank out early on. Ooft.

missed out the disallowed Fletcher goal when we were 1-0 up as well in Wales. Would be a close game between us now as both teams have improved, Scotland significantly

Read my post again. My post was about a side beating us more often, not about us beating other sides more often. Again I was very specific & deliberate with my language. Its not my fault that you lack the ability to read.

Really?

I believe that currently, of the top European teams, there's only Germany that would beat us more times than we would beat them.

Okay then.

missed out the disallowed Fletcher goal when we were 1-0 up as well in Wales. Would be a close game between us now as both teams have improved, Scotland significantly

Yeah, I should have mentioned that too. I was desperate to draw England in the qualifiers (have been for some time) but failing that, I wanted Wales. No way we would breeze it or anything, but we would have two pretty good games on our hands IMO.

Who knows, maybe we'll get them in the Euros. With England. Scenes.

Really?

Okay then.

Right, are you REALLY that stupid? Seriously, do you have some kind of mental incapacity that I should be aware of that means I should not be so harsh on you for your complete & utter lack of basic reading comprehension?

If you do, tell me, because that's perfectly fine & I'll play nice.

I wrote:

"I believe that currently, of the top European teams, there's only Germany that would beat us more times than we would beat them."

You highlighted

"I believe that currently, of the top European teams, there's only Germany that would beat us more times than we would beat them."

The important part you need to understand as the predominant situation in this sentence is actually here:

What that means is that I think Germany would be in a Net positive as far as results would go against Wales.

It does not also mean that I believe Wales would be in a Net positive as far as results would go against other European sides.

Of course, there is that possibility, but I've not actually said that at all. There are two possible alternatives from Germany being Net Positive. They are:

Wales being Net Positive

The respective teams finishing in a neutral situation.

I was very careful with my language & sentence structure to allow for both those possibilities, because against the various sides, either of them are possible.

I really shouldn't have to explain this.