Sports Interactive Community
heavybassX

Wales overtakes England in FIFA rankings

About time.

Well done Cookie and what a legacy left by super Gary Speed.

Not actually that arsed about it, though it's nice to be officially recognised as the best side in the UK. More concerned with winning the euros.

Not really sure how they're farcial?

They are about to suggest that Wales are a better team than England, isn't that reason enough?

They are about to suggest that Wales are a better team than England, isn't that reason enough?

Actually I would say England somehow getting ranked 3rd in the world after a woeful Euro 2012 as the best example, but essentially the setup being so arbitrary you can move up or down without anyone playing a game...

Actually I would say England somehow getting ranked 3rd in the world after a woeful Euro 2012 as the best example, but essentially the setup being so arbitrary you can move up or down without anyone playing a game...

In fairness didn't we top our group and then get knocked out on penalties to Italy? :D

In fact it's probably the best England performance at a tournament I remember... not that that's saying much.

you move up or down, because historical games drop off the system or lose points. Wales lose points that don't hold much value, other teams lose points that held a lot of value.

It's not difficult to understand that, surely?

you move up or down, because historical games drop off the system or lose points. Wales lose points that don't hold much value, other teams lose points that held a lot of value.

No one said anything about understanding/not understanding, so not sure what your point is there. But the arbitrary nature of it. Wales (in this case) are now a better team despite not playing a game that actually helps define it.

Ri, you didnt see 96 or 2000? Shame, we were really rather decent then.

Yes, we understand how it works, you don't need to patronise us.

But the intention of the FIFA Rankings are to give a close representation of the quality of every team in the world. The system that is used at the moment will, in September, be saying that Wales are a better team than England. It is farcical because that is simply not true, or do you think it is?

No one said anything about understanding/not understanding, so not sure what your point is there. But the arbitrary nature of it. Wales (in this case) are now a better team despite not playing a game that actually helps define it.

Ri, you didnt see 96 or 2000? Shame, we were really rather decent then.

First tournament I remember was 2004, was 7 then.

I believe that currently, of the top European teams, there's only Germany that would beat us more times than we would beat them.

Whether those teams have more players in their side that could be considered "top quality" or "world class" is irrelevant. How many of them play as well as a team as this current Wales side?

They may well be playing above their realistic level, but they've got results that matter against a Belgium side that is theoretically a better side than England. I don't see why it's therefore unreasonable to think Wales could beat England if they played each other tomorrow.

Yes, we understand how it works, you don't need to patronise us.

But the intention of the FIFA Rankings are to give a close representation of the quality of every team in the world. The system that is used at the moment will, in September, be saying that Wales are a better team than England. It is farcical because that is simply not true, or do you think it is?

The ranking doesn't tell which team are better, it says which team got better results.

It's still farcical though.

Friendlies and to a lesser extent Quals seem to have a bigger weighting than they should.

I believe that currently, of the top European teams, there's only Germany that would beat us more times than we would beat them.

There we have it, Wales are the second best team in Europe at the moment.

Honestly thought it would take longer before you posted something so ridiculous. :D

I didn't say Wales were the second best team in Europe though? I was very careful with what I said because the point was important.

Football has three possible results & it's worth remembering that when considering the context of my post.

I belive, that Germany aside, Wales are the equal of any team in Europe. That they can get results against anybody & our current form & recent results back that up.

With so many sides at a similar level & with a need to separate tem through a ranking system, I see no issue with considering major changes in form as part of that process.

Not sure you're getting my point though. The positions are going to change because of a sudden devaluing of points, not because anyone has played any games to show they are better or worse. That ( and the ridiculous weightings) is what makes it farcical.

Not sure you're getting my point though. The positions are going to change because of a sudden devaluing of points, not because anyone has played any games to show they are better or worse. That ( and the ridiculous weightings) is what makes it farcical.

I get you point, I don't get why you think either of those things are unfair?

It's a perfectly reasonable way to deal with a teams relative form?

The problem with the weightings is that England for example basically gets punished for failing in bigger games (ex: the World Cup) while teams like Wales get benefited by wins in lesser games (like Quals and friendlies).

wales being ranked above England is...

England were above wales last time they did the ranking, neither have played since then.

so how can Wales be ranked above England

and you got Romania in 8th

Portugal who have been terrible for ages, Netherlands... also.

England are unbeaten in the qualifiers

as are Wales.

might well toss a coin.

I didn't say Wales were the second best team in Europe though? I was very careful with what I said because the point was important.

Football has three possible results & it's worth remembering that when considering the context of my post.

I belive, that Germany aside, Wales are the equal of any team in Europe. That they can get results against anybody & our current form & recent results back that up.

With so many sides at a similar level & with a need to separate tem through a ranking system, I see no issue with considering major changes in form as part of that process.

^ this post should be saved so everybody can laugh at it

Absolute joke :D

How many WC/Euros have Wales qualified for lately?

England undefeated in qualifiers as well, hahahaha ridiculous.

Romania were ranked 8th in the last table. That is the only statement you need to understand the importance of the Fifa rankings.

WP Wales. Done really well these past 5 years. Really impressive. Hope it continues. Look forward to seeing them at the Euros. Ideally I'd like England to be higher in the rankings but it's good to see other home nations doing well. Can only be good for football all over these shores. Tournaments have always been more fun when more then one home nation (or RoI) in it too.

giphy.gif

Oh god the Euros will be fun next year when you pick on the "unrealistic expectations" of England.

In fairness didn't we top our group and then get knocked out on penalties to Italy? :D

In fact it's probably the best England performance at a tournament I remember... not that that's saying much.

A draw with France and narrow wins over Sweden and Ukraine?

Wales have been far more impressive in recent years than England. England performed worse than the minnows of world football in last years World Cup.

yeah if England played Wales tomorrow in a competitive match I don't think it would be the foregone conclusion most England fans seem to think it would be. England really aren't that great a side.

If you were to write a list down now of the best national teams in order, I don't see any problem with having Wales above England. The problem however is this ranked system uses previous years where Wales have never qualified or indeed come close to for a major tournament, whereas England have and their record outside of those tournaments isn't exactly bad or anything, so something is blatantly wrong there

yeah if England played Wales tomorrow in a competitive match I don't think it would be the foregone conclusion most England fans seem to think it would be. England really aren't that great a side.

No one is arguing that England are a great side, what I am arguing with certainty is that we are better than Wales. People laugh at people like Jamie Vardy getting a call-up, but we do not play Hal Robson-Kanu. Not like we've been poor in qualification for the Euros either considering we are unbeaten.

Wales have been far more impressive in recent years than England. England performed worse than the minnows of world football in last years World Cup.

Which is better than not getting to a tournament at all.

It probably is but Belgium are playing with the attacking flair of Norwich and Bosnia have been a disgrace. That's not a discredit to Wales as they are taking advantage of it but they would get found out against France/Spain etc who Carter thinks they are on a level with. People assumed Switzerland are terrible because England beat them but on paper they aren't really any worse than those sides.

How are Spain doing so badly? Bad WC aside they won Euro 2012 ffs

Lost last 3 friendlies + lost to Slovakia

Wales are a great team at the moment.

But they're really not aren't they? Not wanting to sound like a sore loser, but they just hang in the back and wait for a counter.

Which ofcourse is their good right.

To be honest I'd say Wales are currently the better team. England really just a bunch of overrated individuals. But England still should be higher in the rankings due to the fact they nearly always qualify and reach knockout rounds at major tournaments.

Delusional to think England winning is a foregone conclusion. Sure they haven't beaten Ireland in my lifetime and we're garbage!

How far back do these rankings go? Germany seems to have lost its WC points already?

Yeah, its the September rankings where itll change.

Not according to the giddyness of walesonline

I like Wales (the team), and they're a good unit, but the fan delusion in here is amazing.

There's a lot of salty English tears in here.

I'd be confident of easily beating Wales if the game was played tomorrow.

Be similar to when we played Scotland away and their fans thought they'd get a result against a poor England side. Didn't even get out of 2nd gear and won with ease.

Belgium despite their array of stars, seem to be boring and slow whenever I've seen them so hardly a measurement of where you are in Europe beating them, although it was still a fantastic result for Wales giving their size and stature.

Not according to the giddyness of walesonline

"Wales have moved up to ninth in the rankings, and they are set to overtake England NEXT MONTH"

Yes, actually. It's the first line of the article.