To sign Ronaldo or not?

I'm Man United in the third season, and my finances are decent. Still got a bit of a loan to pay off, but the bank balance is healthy and I've been lucky enough to win a few trophies and sell players for decent amounts.

Up front, I play Rooney as a deep lying forward and Lukaku as an advanced forward. I've also got Zivkovic as Lukaku's backup, and Bacca from Sevilla as Rooney's backup. Bacca's squad role is Backup and he's happy to sit on the bench so he's a useful player to have around.

My current problem is that Rooney has just got injured for 6 months, and there's 2 days of the transfer window left. I'm in a position where I could sign Cristiano Ronaldo for £70m (spread over 36 months). I've saved the game on the transfer acceptance screen. I've got him down from 500k a week to 275k a week contract wise, which is roughly in line with what Rooney is on, and I've recently saved 225k a week by letting Falcao return to Monaco.

In reserves, I've got Angelo Henriquez and a guy called Kenny Sinneave who despite his stats, seems to score loads from a DLF position in the reserve side. I have got Di Maria but he's always struggled as DLF in the few games I've tried him in. Januzaj would struggle there too, I think.

I'm stuck between what to do.

My rivals have strengthened so Ronaldo would provide that boost to help me stay ahead of them, but when Rooney is back from injury, my attacking options are probably over-stocked. He's also 31, and regardless of my finances, £70m is a lot. Also, I'm not sure if a DLF position would get the best out of him. I could promote Henriquez but if he doesn't make a quick step up, then I'll struggle in the top games.

I guess it's the age-old question of playing youth and potentially struggling for a bit to get long term gains.

What would people do?

Always buy Messi and Ronaldo when you have the chance, regardless of the price, the age or the urgency. They are so good that they have to decline so hard before they get bad.

At 31 Ronaldo will do great things for you. I promise.

I signed Ronaldo at 34 years of age for Napoli for 15 million Euro.

He scored 52 goals in all competitions at AML.

The second season he scored 32 goals and has become a club Icon already.

He is now 36 and has only played 1 game due to injury, yet he still managed to score in that game.

Highly recommended.

I just want to add that I signed a 33 year old Messi as well, for 30 million Euro and he has 2 goals and 5 assists in 3 games. :D

Ronaldo is a freaking cheat code in this game. I remember making a joke bid of 90 million for him and it got accepted. Offered a contract before Real could change their minds :D

It's honestly harder for him to miss than score in this game.

Without any doubt whatsoever, yes. I'm at Utd and have signed him. Remains brilliant well into his 30's. Lost some of his electric pace now on my save but play him as a poacher and he scores loads. Incredibly surprised you still have Rooney. Don't rate him on this years game at all. Sold him to Spurs for £7m after season one. Now can't even get on their bench and is being linked with a move to Sunderland.

Rooney plays in the DLF position, behind Falcao for the first 2 seasons and now behind Lukaku. His assists and goals have been over 15 every year, and he's my captain. He's still playing really well, and the DLF position seems ideal for him to just drop off and play little balls through.

The team at the moment is:

GK - De Gea

DL (FB-s) - Schmelzer (I'd never heard of him but the scouts recommended him and he's been awesome) or Shaw

DR (FB-s) - Danilo or Varela

DCs - Jones, Vallejo, Rojo

ML (WM-a) - Depay or Di Maria

MR (WM-a) - Januzaj or Sisto (he was another unknown to me and he's been the standout player for last season. Average rating at 8.5).

MCs (DLP-d and a BBM-s) - William Carvalho, Lucas Romero, Tielemans (although he's never played well for me), Blind, Lorenzo Crisiteg (relatively poor stats and a poor scout recommendation, but was £2m and intended as a backup, but as BBM he's been terrific).

DLF-s - Rooney or Bacca

AF-a - Lukaku or Zivkovic

With injuries for 6 months to Rooney and 4 months to Di Maria, I thought Ronaldo would fill both positions. My only concern was when everyone is back, the squad is pretty bloated, and to accomodate Ronaldo, I'd have to sell someone younger, which would be a shame.

If I were you, I would sign him.

And then I would go after Messi in a season or two.

Might take a while to save up the money! I did actually offer for him in this window, and got accepted, but he said he had no interest in joining me based on my low club stature. Bit harsh, considering I won the Premier League and Champs League last year!

Ronaldo is a freaking cheat code in this game. I remember making a joke bid of 90 million for him and it got accepted. Offered a contract before Real could change their minds :D

It's honestly harder for him to miss than score in this game.

They don't change their minds. It is a programmed computer, not a human being. If they accepted it, they accepted it. They don't then change their mind and go back and pull out of the transfer. The only way of it falling through after the club accepting the transfer is the player rejecting the contract you offer, refusing to play for your club or your club not having the funds. But the selling club never changes their mind after accepting the transfer offer.

They don't change their minds. It is a programmed computer, not a human being. If they accepted it, they accepted it. They don't then change their mind and go back and pull out of the transfer. The only way of it falling through after the club accepting the transfer is the player rejecting the contract you offer, refusing to play for your club or your club not having the funds. But the selling club never changes their mind after accepting the transfer offer.

That's not 100% true, at least not for loans. I had a loan deal set up where I was the loaning club, and the club who had wanted my player pulled out after I thought the deal was done and dusted. It might be different for full transfers, and might be different for cases where the human-managed club is doing the buying, but there is definitely the possibility, at least in some cases, for transfers to disintegrate based on the computer-managed club deciding it doesn't want to do the deal.

It was a joke.

I signed him back for Utd in 17/18 and play him in a front 2. He scored 37 goals and had 30 assists his first season, even being out 4 weeks. The season after, he scored 53 and had 17 assists.

A couple seasons later, he's scored 8 in 5 at 35 years old. He's still got 15 in pace and acceleration, which is plenty for having him pull strings up front.

Buy him if you can.

With injuries for 6 months to Rooney and 4 months to Di Maria, I thought Ronaldo would fill both positions. My only concern was when everyone is back, the squad is pretty bloated, and to accomodate Ronaldo, I'd have to sell someone younger, which would be a shame.

Buy Ronaldo and sell someone younger. At 36 he will be still better than those younger guys. That's at least 5 years.

Archived