are penalties too easy?

ive noticed that in my one big game to 2024 that i never miss penalties. well actually i have missed one in 10 years and i remember being shocked by it.

but i havent have a single penalty shootout so maybe my strikers are just good at penalties?

just got tied to a 1 1 draw with motherwell in the scottish cup, so its not like anyone had their shooting boots on, 1 1 after extra time....penalty shootout.....

first 5 each, 10 goals....then it continued....eventually on their 16th penalty, and the 32nd of the game, their player booted it out of the stadium. i think he might have done it to save everyone from suicide. we won 16 15. isn't that a bit unlikely?

Yup, penalties are rarely missed in the game. There's been a few threads before. In my 9 seasons I think I've only had three in match penalties saved or missed for my team, and about the same for the opposition. Though the last one was saved and scored from the rebound. Just my luck. But yes, you get awarded a penatly and its as good as a goal.

I think when posts like this are made they need to be backed up with real life stats to compare with. Often see this with injuries but then with reference to real life injury stats the delta can be better examined

In my own testing penalty conversion rates are a few percentage points higher at the top level, not sure what the real life to FM ratio is in the lower leagues as I was unable to find enough real world data to make a reasonable comparison.

IRL penalties at the top level for the 13/14 season had an 83% conversion rate, whilst dropping down to League 2 there was only a 70% conversion rate. Our conversion rates in game are marginally higher, however there should still be plenty of instances where penalties are missed.

How SI and moderators are still claiming that the conversion rate in the game is only marginally over the real life numbers, just shows that surprisingly they don't know much about statistics. I don't mean to offend anybody, but let me just remind you again (I mentioned this in previous versions too when the penalty conversion rate was too high) that a difference of even 5% is big deal when you approach the two ends of a spectrum, whereas it can be considered small if you are somewhere close to 50%. When it comes to penalties, you should think about the probability of a penalty being missed in the game, instead of the probability of a penalty being scored. So, instead of thinking 'there is not much difference by scoring 80% of penalties in real life and 90% in FM', you should think like 'in real life 20% of penalties are missed, in FM it is 10%'. That way the difference between them becomes 100%! I once wrote a long post about this so I won't do the same again, but penalty conversion rate is way off in FM, not marginally off.

Approach it from another angle and compare the number of penalty shootouts IRL that goes beyond the first 10 penalties, to those you see in FM. That will help seeing the rather massive effect of difference between 80% conversion rate and 90%. It becomes more visible in penalty shootouts, because now you are looking at number of consecutive penalties being scored. That 10% difference will start adding up exponentially.

It is not a game breaker, but quite annoying for people like me who pays attention to stats.

How SI and moderators are still claiming that the conversion rate in the game is only marginally over the real life numbers, just shows that surprisingly they don't know much about statistics. I don't mean to offend anybody, but let me just remind you again (I mentioned this in previous versions too when the penalty conversion rate was too high) that a difference of even 5% is big deal when you approach the two ends of a spectrum, whereas it can be considered small if you are somewhere close to 50%. When it comes to penalties, you should think about the probability of a penalty being missed in the game, instead of the probability of a penalty being scored. So, instead of thinking 'there is not much difference by scoring 80% of penalties in real life and 90% in FM', you should think like 'in real life 20% of penalties are missed, in FM it is 10%'. That way the difference between them becomes 100%! I once wrote a long post about this so I won't do the same again, but penalty conversion rate is way off in FM, not marginally off.

Approach it from another angle and compare the number of penalty shootouts IRL that goes beyond the first 10 penalties, to those you see in FM. That will help seeing the rather massive effect of difference between 80% conversion rate and 90%. It becomes more visible in penalty shootouts, because now you are looking at number of consecutive penalties being scored. That 10% difference will start adding up exponentially.

It is not a game breaker, but quite annoying for people like me who pays attention to stats.

Nowhere did I mention a 10% difference in penalty conversion rates between real life and FM. We run multiple tests and try and ensure penalties are as close to real life as possible, however it isn't as easy as moving a sliding scale slightly to make players miss more, we have to consider other factors as well.

As Barside said, if you have any statistical evidence to show penalties being scored at a 93% success rate consistently in FM then please share.

Well if it's all about stats there are numbers in the game that are a really far off of real football, and unlike penalties, they are a bread and butter part of any match at any minute of play (number of tackles, most obviously due to the way the ME models defending.. and until a few versions back the overall number of passes made as well as the average number of shots taken a match, as the time of the ball being effectively played was much lower than in real football, and that for years and years and years).

Still yes you're right shootout scenarios then would being affected the most. I can't remember having seen such a freak shootout reported yet though (though they occur in real football too). I think the dynamics in the shootout is a different thing anyway, as, and the widget hints at this, players become anxious, nervous or vice versa during shootouts specifically. In terms of boosts/penalties I think it's handled differently to a penalty awarded during match play, and FM may even handle penalties differently depending on the game's context and situation in which it occurs (last minute take from the spot that can turn a game around vs. friendly match scenario with the side leading 4-0 already). It wouldn't surprise me if part of the slightly higher conversion ratio would be an influence of the dynamics going on, and rather than there being simple, predictable scripts with predictable outcomes, FM deals a ton in those, the entire match engine to begin with. There's the consistency attribute for a start which determines how often a player plays to his full ability for a start, and then the match preparation training regimes giving dynamic boosts to attributes during match scenarios, i.e. during set-pieces; plus there's fitness, morale, gelling, understanding, motivation, etc. Though an additional penalty conceded/scored obviously can alter the course of a league season, as a side on average may be awarded 4, at best 5, 6 a season (haven't checked those stats in FM) that won't make huge a difference overall.

Bottom line, there will be always be play and stats that never will fully replicate football, whether that is apparent from the numbers that are diplayed in the game for all to see or not (for actual conversion ratio, you can enter the conversion ratio from the spot into the squad screen for any side, btw. -- this isn't displayed anywhere else in the game by default, are those 90% gut feeling or actual stats?). It is the overall dynamics though that are the most important. In other words, sort out those darn too in-effective corners, SI. :D

A quick word on your statistics. The difference between them is not 100%.

The difference between them is 10 percentage points. Or 100% of 10%. Or 50% of 20%.

But you are implying that the difference between missing 20% of penalties and 10% of penalties is 100% of penalties. Which is illogical.

The difference between them is the total number of penalties taken divided by ten. 10 percentage points. Or ten penalties out of every one hundred. Or 10%.

Has the long penalty shootouts on a regular basis been fixed now then? I'm still getting shootouts almost every time that last through a whole team. Not that I have many. Not sure if the handling pressure attribute needs to be more weighted in a penalty shootout for the penalty takers of not.

Had a few missed penalties... mainly where the balls hits the post, bounces back to the penalty taker who just stands there and lets the DEF clear :lol: haha

That'll be because he isn't allowed to touch it until the defender does ;)

Cougar... jeeze man! I just googled this. Obviously, with free kicks you can't touch the ball... but I was not aware of this with penalties! I feel ashamed. I'm a football coach too.. hahaha!

It might be me, but everytime I have had a penalty missed it is in a key game. Last game of the season, derby, promotion playoff and a UEFA Champions League semi final stand out in my mind. I think in terms of during play rather than a shootout, I have only ever had one missed pen that wasn't in a 'key' game. Only ever had the opposition miss a pen twice, can't remember in what matches.

Decided to have a look at my longest save and see my main pen taker's record, it is:

2014-15: 3/4

2015-16: 1/1

2016-17: 1/1

2017-18: 3/3

2018-19: 4/4

That is 12/13, which is a pretty amazing 92.3%, another of my penalty takers over the years had

2014-15: 3/3

2015-16: 2/2

2016-17: 1/1

2017-18: 2/2

That is 8/8, 100%. The only other two guys I can find who have taken penalties are at 1/1. Clearly extraordinarily high.

Bottom line, there will be always be play and stats that never will fully replicate football, whether that is apparent from the numbers that are diplayed in the game for all to see or not (for actual conversion ratio, you can enter the conversion ratio from the spot into the squad screen for any side, btw. -- this isn't displayed anywhere else in the game by default, are those 90% gut feeling or actual stats?). It is the overall dynamics though that are the most important. In other words, sort out those darn too in-effective corners, SI. :D

The conversion ratio for your team is shown on the Team Report - Stats page, you can also view it for other teams without having to first scout them. I have no idea why the conversion rate for teams isn't shown on the competition stats page when it is for the players?

Had a few missed penalties... mainly where the balls hits the post, bounces back to the penalty taker who just stands there and lets the DEF clear :lol: haha
Cougar... jeeze man! I just googled this. Obviously, with free kicks you can't touch the ball... but I was not aware of this with penalties! I feel ashamed. I'm a football coach too.. hahaha!

I was 20 years old when I first realized that you can't be offside from a throw-in haha. Not all rules of football are common knowledge to everybody it seems.

IRL penalties at the top level for the 13/14 season had an 83% conversion rate, whilst dropping down to League 2 there was only a 70% conversion rate. Our conversion rates in game are marginally higher, however there should still be plenty of instances where penalties are missed.

Strange they always seem like they never miss. I just had a shootout end 24-23 with all makes.

Archived