The Spanish Football thread 2015-16: 2 Legends depart

cms186

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fernando Torres can't stop scoring :D 5 in a row now! :eek:

Amazing that this is the same guy from earlier in the season where he was somehow contriving to miss tap ins.

The Simeone effect. Brings the best out of every player.

Well apart from the middle third of the season where he was truly woeful!

Was alright last season and after a very strong pre-season started this season in decent form but soon as he scored his 99th goal everything fell apart, I guess the pressure of scoring #100 for Atletico just really got to him.

Amazingly the first time in his career he's scored 5 in a row, all of them have been really nice finishes reminiscent of the old Torres as well.

Credit to Atletico for grinding out another win. I thought they might drop points and with Godin coming off injured and for them still to win the game shows how good of a team they are. Great job by Simeone. Should beat Malaga no problem on weekend and keep the pressure on Barca.

Are Atletico appelaing the transfer ban btw?

Credit to Atletico for grinding out another win. I thought they might drop points and with Godin coming off injured and for them still to win the game shows how good of a team they are. Great job by Simeone. Should beat Malaga no problem on weekend and keep the pressure on Barca.

Are Atletico appelaing the transfer ban btw?

Very much ground out the win in the 2nd half but San Mames is a tough ground to get anything at, though that said Atletico still have a 100% record at the new ground from 4 matches. Didn't play brilliant by any means and were under a lot of heavy pressure but just did their usual thing and cleared every ball into the box. Felipe Luis was brilliant as usual, in his last 3 seasons at Atleti honestly think he's been the best LB in the world and I really don't get what went wrong at Chelsea.

They are and seem surprisingly confident of winning that appeal. Honestly think they'd be better off just taking it for next season as their squad atm is in a pretty good position but they presumably think they did nothing wrong.

Whats gone wrong at Valencia?

Strange time to ask now the ship has seemingly been, if not righted, at least had the holes plugged :D

But to give you the semi-short version:

- Power Struggle of sorts in summer between Salvo/Rufete (the Chairman and DoF) and Lim/Nuno (the Owner and Manager) led to the 2 former people leaving the club, the fans especially hated Salvo leaving as he is seen by many as having saved the club from financial purgatory

- Sale of Nicolas Otamendi, arguably the clubs best player, and failiure to properly replace him

- Due to Previous seasons transfer strategy of loaning in players, most of the transfer budget was spent on acquiring these players permanently, leading to a lack of improvements in squad

- Lots of injuries, including ACL injury to Diego Alves, lots of 1-2 month injuries for key players like Jose Gaya, Andre Gomes, Rodrigo, Enzo Perez, Maty Ryan (who was brought in to be Alves stand in, so for much of the season, the 3rd choice GK was starting - and doing very well tbf)

- Due to Power struggle in Summer, fans turn against Nuno before season started, coupled with a depleted squad, this lead to a downturn in performances and elimination from Champions League, he resigned with club in 9th place.

- The owner then decided to appoint Gary Neville as manager, who has never managed at any level and didnt speak Spanish, this, err, experiment, went about as well as you would expect :D

- Neville was sacked with the club in 14th place and facing a possibility of relegation if results didnt improve, Pako Ayestarian was appointed till the end of the season, results have improved dramatically

I think that was a sarcastic Valencia are suddenly doing well, what's gone wrong comment Chris :D

In other news I know we discussed Spain's lack of options at CB and Lucas has heavily hinted that he's considering changing allegiance from France to Spain. Honestly think he's already shown himself to be better than some of the options in the current setup.

can never tell these days :D

will be interesting if Laporte makes good on his threat to choose Spain if he doesnt get called up by france for the Euros too, could have too Frenchies in the middle of Defence!

Barcelona (unsurprisingly) beat the Brazilian FA in the Neymar/Olympics/Copa América issue.

The Brazilian FA wanted him in both competitions but he will play only the Olympics, which are deemed more important than Copa América anyway.

Very much ground out the win in the 2nd half but San Mames is a tough ground to get anything at, though that said Atletico still have a 100% record at the new ground from 4 matches. Didn't play brilliant by any means and were under a lot of heavy pressure but just did their usual thing and cleared every ball into the box. Felipe Luis was brilliant as usual, in his last 3 seasons at Atleti honestly think he's been the best LB in the world and I really don't get what went wrong at Chelsea.

They are and seem surprisingly confident of winning that appeal. Honestly think they'd be better off just taking it for next season as their squad atm is in a pretty good position but they presumably think they did nothing wrong.

Yeah. I was really annoyed with Mourinho for not giving him game time. Azpi done well at LB but when you have a natural at LB and buy him for a good fee, you put him in as your LB. Simple as. At least he is enjoying his football again. I realsied that too. You always manage to beat Bilbao away from home and grind victories there.

Barca will win out with that fixture list and no European games. Atletico will probably unfortunately finish 3rd as I can see them dropping points around the CL matches.

Like Sid mentioned earlier, Betis will be tough but they should win if they play to their best. Betis are not walkovers though.

Even with your CL fixtures, I think you will beat Malaga, Rayo and Levante tbh. Celta probably too.

can never tell these days :D

will be interesting if Laporte makes good on his threat to choose Spain if he doesnt get called up by france for the Euros too, could have too Frenchies in the middle of Defence!

Wonder if that's changed now he's likely to miss it through injury? Not like the French boss can realistically call him up :D

Amazing he hasn't been capped yet though.

There's a salary cap? never heard of that before.

Seen it frequently mentioned with Atletico in the last few years when referring to signing players and whether they could afford them due to the salary cap. Always presumed it was something imposed by the LFP on Atleti because of their massive debts, but maybe not?

edit - here you go http://www.marca.com/2013/09/20/en/football/spanish_football/1379697598.html Seems like it was implemented in 2013.

It's the LFP they probably arbitrarily decide it by drawing numbers out of a hat.

Depor also have one of the biggest fanbases of the non European regulars (along with Betis) so you'd expect them to have a bigger cap than that but I think they're in serious financial ****.

I thought when Simeone got sent off it was because he'd thrown the ball on the pitch, turns out it was one of the coaching staff or possibly a ball boy (who Simeone had his back to at the time). Surely can't send him off for that?

Whoever did it deserves to be punished, flat out cheating but be ridiculous if Simeone get's a ban for it.

edit - said incident https://twitter.com/Christian_ESEM/status/723920741037707264

The ref knew it wasn't him but sent him off for 'failing to control his bench'. Which means he could well get a three match ban and miss the rest of the season...

edit - So apparently La Liga regulations state that if it's not clear then the Head Coach is to be sent off and he will almost certainly get a ban, Simeone says it was the ball boy behind the bench and that he expects a ban.

Could have a serious effect on the title run in :thdn:

The ref knew it wasn't him but sent him off for 'failing to control his bench'. Which means he could well get a three match ban and miss the rest of the season...

edit - So apparently La Liga regulations state that if it's not clear then the Head Coach is to be sent off and he will almost certainly get a ban, Simeone says it was the ball boy behind the bench and that he expects a ban.

Could have a serious effect on the title run in :thdn:

Ball boy will be banned I assume too from entering the stadium again.

Yeah ideally, such a twatty thing to do. Luckily it had no affect on the game because it was behind the play and the ref just ignored it but if it had stopped that very dangerous Malaga attack then there would have been uproar.

Seems ridiculous to punish Simeone for the actions of some lad who not under his purview though.

Archived