Harryseaess

Manchester United Thread 2015/16

#MUFC

Possession: second highest % in PL

Backward passes: highest %

Sideways: 2nd highest %

Forward: lowest %

Shots: lowest bar Sunderland

4 things that should be lower are higher and the only thing that should be higher is lower. It's 100% anti football this LVG is playing.

If you base the football on possession, the other numbers are going to be like quoted (apart from shots, which is more independent).

Oh, and what matters more than all of that is points on the board, and for the time being we're not doing too shabby there.

I miss the football from the best Sir Alex teams too, but we should also remember that football in his last years wasn't always great. The amount of times RVP pulled us out of a deep hole that wonderful season was crazy.

Problem that is what it takes in this current system. A brilliant play every time. Look at the goal yesterday. Three touches in air.

Interesting comment by a poster on RedCafe on Shaw's leg and surgery.

12002810_794277497349360_7335686869253783594_n.jpg?oh=27c040c830f5d2b0a041d0d97ad4cac3&oe=566D38D4

So I was talking about this photo to a friend of mine who's an orthopaedic surgeon the other day. Apparently the surgical incisions are at the top and bottom (under the big, white band aid) and the long incision with the orange "laces" has nothing to do with fixing the fracture. It's to relieve pressure inside the calf, as bleeding/swelling in that confined space can cause "compartment syndrome" when the pressure gets so high it fecks up your circulation and causes tissue necrosis. A few days/weeks after the orginal op, when the swelling has gone down, he will have had another operation to close up that long incision. The reason they have the laces is because, without them, it could gape open wider and wider, so they end up unable to pull it all back together. Which would mean skin grafts. So there you go. You live and learn.

Good to see him up and about without any crutches. You'd usuallly estimate 10 weeks for a fracture to fully heal, so he might be a bit ahead of schedule. Of course, the really hard work is only starting. His lower leg muscles will have withered away dramatically, so he'll have to build them back up again. As well as doing a tonne of work to get his balance and proprioception back again. Then he has to start thinking about getting over the mental hurdles of playing football again, while acutely aware that you're only a bad tackle away from another horrific injury.

As an aside, it's interesting that Memphis and him seem to be good buddies. Depay's form took a nose-dive immediately after that injury (even noticeable in the game where it happened) so I reckon Luke Shaw's not the only player who will take a while coming to term with what's happened.

Leg looks fecking horrible there ofc, so I'm glad to see his recovery appears to be going well. Just hope he doesn't go to the Euros half-fit and has a setback. He should only go if he's already back playing for us and feeling good. We saw (several times) that taking a half-recovered Rooney wasn't the best idea ever.

Great result for Solskjær and Molde against Celtic yesterday :thup:

Great result for Solskjær and Molde against Celtic yesterday :thup:

Not so great night for Blackett. Subbed on and subbed off again, not his greatest performance.

I will be miffed if they rush him into the Euros.

I hope they don't. They could play Young there anyway.

Anyone here know what would happen if Salford made it through to the third round, and we drew them out of the bag, in terms of Giggs, would he be allowed on our bench, seeing as he is a co-owner of them?

Surely he would have a conflict of interest? So he surely would not be allowed on the bench for the match would he??

Did you just nick that question from me from the fa cup thread?

Cheeky.

No I didn't, I have been wondering that ever since the famous five bought the club, and Giggs (and to a lesser extent Butt) continued to work for us.

Better for Giggs if he stays off the United bench, let Van Gaal take full control of an epic 0-0 to fill Salford's pockets over 2 games.

Hopefully we start as fast as we did in midweek, make plenty of chances and score a few.

Rooney Hattrick.

Sounds good to me.

Cheap tackle to start match. So, that is how it will go apparently.

No yellow for kicking the ball away because... I've got nothing.

We could probably put 10 men in their box tbf, but yes b/c it certainly won't be Carrick.

What? A clear cut chance in the first 20? I like it. More please. Great ball into Rooney, too.

Best thing Rooney has done in ages.

If he still has control like that why can't he control a 5 yard pass.

Great play by Martial. Shot goes anyplace else it is in.

Super goal from Lingard.

Another good shift from Ashley Young.

Well it's been about time United started bringing through a youngster that could be a regular in the United team. Looks like Lingard could well be a mainstay in the starting XI if he keeps this up.

So anyone know anythinf about Cameron jackson?

He's a decent left back, similarities to Blackett but probably more technically talented and less physical. Might eventually be a centre back. Has performed well for the reserves. Probably don't expect too much from him.

I'ill take that, hopefully it brings back a bit of goal scoring confidence too.

Brez summed it up quite nicely. He's much more composed with the ball at his feet than Blackett, but not quite as good going forward. That said he's a much better defender, although it's still too early to tell if he'll be good enough in the future. He's played left-back, centre-back and holding midfield for the U18s and for England but unless he has a growth spurt I'll think long term he'll be at left-back.

Really pleased with that result, and it's f***ing fantastic to see Borthwick Jackson make his debut! :) Hadn't expected that so soon. Okay, we have some light cover at the back now due to injuries/suspension, but that our youth defenders are making the bench must mean they're somewhat close to the first team squad. He looked nervous, as is expected, but did okay from what I saw.

And another youth player scores in Lingard. Great to see that he's finally getting his chances. Must have sucked to get that injury last season.

One thing I like with LVG vs (late years) SAF, is that LVG does give youth players a chance early, while SAF might have played a senior player out of position instead. The core is and will be the established players, but it must be great to see for the youth players that they will in fact get chances if they work hard. The door is still open, despite all the money we've forked out over the last 2-3 years.

Apparently CBJ is the 29th debutant under van Gaal.

29? Can't be that many surely? I count 21 so far. Who have I missed?

Luke Shaw

Marcos Rojo

Angel Di Maria

Memphis

Falcao

Anthony Martial

Daley Blind

Sergio Romero

Ander Herrera

Morgan Schneiderlin

Bastian Schweinsteiger

Victor Valdes

Paddy McNair

Jesse Lingard

Matteo Darmian

Saidy Janko

Tom Thorpe

Reece James

Tyler Blackett

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson

Andreas Pereira

I dunno I just saw it on Twitter that he was the 29th player to make his debut under van Gaal in all competition and 890th Man Utd player overall since the start of the Premier League, I'm presuming. Also said Lingard is the 92nd player to score in the Premier League. I'm not sure on the reliability of that, it's just going around Twitter. Saw one reply saying it's actually 23rd but I cba to look through it.

Looked a bit like Nani I thought!

I dunno I just saw it on Twitter that he was the 29th player to make his debut under van Gaal in all competition and 890th Man Utd player overall since the start of the Premier League, I'm presuming. Also said Lingard is the 92nd player to score in the Premier League. I'm not sure on the reliability of that, it's just going around Twitter. Saw one reply saying it's actually 23rd but I cba to look through it.

Think someone's made a typo somewhere then!

Just back from the game, West Brom were absolutely woeful. Have any Premier League teams come to Old Trafford and attacked us?

West Brom have had plenty of success with that tbf. Thankfully unlike the last 2 times they came here we didn't get frustrated, break our shape and then ship a couple of goals and make the match impossible for ourselves.

Well, another 3 points earned. Fingers crossed we have a successful international break (injury wise), and can pick up where we left off.

Nice to see Rooney finally get subbed today, was that due to a poor performance do we think? Or to rest him?