Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little disappointing to not get the win, but a draw away in Europe is okay after all. We just need to do the job at home now.

Funny to read the Rooney thread at Red Cafe. Do everybody hate him? Suarez might have gotten less venom than Rooney does.

Rooney is just a non entity at this point. He's neither good or bad, he's just a waste of a shirt.

The goal came about because LvG decided to put more than one person in the box. The centre backs were occupied by Rooney & Fellaini which meant the CB didn't get to Martial in time.

We also got to witness the rarity of Valencia getting an assist from an aerial cross.

That's it with Rooney now, he did nothing particularly badly with the ball today other than missing the easy header but that's because he did nothing.

No intention to get involved in play, no attempt to give the defenders a hard time and no desire to get on the end of chances. There was a ball crossed in from the left today where Herrera made up about 5 yards and got closer to it than Rooney, it's just not good enough. At least Fellaini gives defenders something to do.

He's getting hate for being Rooney. At this point it doesn't matter what he does on the pitch, he'll get called useless and much worse anyway.

Your constant defence of Rooney is rather comical.

No way should we be playing him upfront when we have Martial. Drop him, show some balls LvG.

No way should we be playing him upfront when we have Martial. Drop him, show some balls LvG.

To be fair, if he netted a hattrick and made 5 assists in that game everyone would be calling him crap and that he should be dropped anyway.

He was very anonymous tonight, a shame really. Martial is wasted on the left wing, very interesting to see the two key players Moscow double-teamed were Martial and Fellaini for most the part.

I was unhappy with Lingard - showing a bit of naivety trying to poke the ball around the keeper, I'm all for placing your shots, but you still need to hit the ball. His chance was a give me.

Depay also didn't impress, I guess he didn't listen to the media criticism that he isn't Ronaldo. He wasn't on the pitch long but he over-used his feints and got muscled off the ball a bit too easily in the process. Hopefully he'll come good, he's gotten a LOT of criticism from United fans on the subreddit and other forums recently.

To be fair, if he netted a hattrick and made 5 assists in that game everyone would be calling him crap and that he should be dropped anyway.

He was very anonymous tonight, a shame really. Martial is wasted on the left wing, very interesting to see the two key players Moscow double-teamed were Martial and Fellaini for most the part.

I was unhappy with Lingard - showing a bit of naivety trying to poke the ball around the keeper, I'm all for placing your shots, but you still need to hit the ball. His chance was a give me.

Depay also didn't impress, I guess he didn't listen to the media criticism that he isn't Ronaldo. He wasn't on the pitch long but he over-used his feints and got muscled off the ball a bit too easily in the process. Hopefully he'll come good, he's gotten a LOT of criticism from United fans on the subreddit and other forums recently.

You do realise he was called offside don't you?

Yeah, alright then.

I think bringing Lingard on v Everton and starting him last night is just LvG's way of telling Memphis that his place isn't secure and he has plenty of other capable players to come in and do a job.

I thought he was our best player in the first half yesterday, at least in an attacking sense. He went missing in the second half though.

The constant hatred for him, no matter what he does, is worse tbh. Seems like we always need somebody to blame, somebody to tear our teeth into, and right now it's Rooney, and it has been for a while tbh.

As unrealistic as it sounds, maybe the professional football players and coaches know his quality better than the armchair experts.

The constant hatred for him, no matter what he does, is worse tbh. Seems like we always need somebody to blame, somebody to tear our teeth into, and right now it's Rooney, and it has been for a while tbh.

As unrealistic as it sounds, maybe the professional football players and coaches know his quality better than the armchair experts.

He deserves the hatred atm, he's been ***** this season. I'll happily say he played well when he does. It's just now he seems well past it.

Also, don't know if that second part is a direct dig at me but I go every home game and a lot of aways every season. The only reason he is still in the team is because his name is Wayne Rooney, anybody else performing as he has would have been dropped ages ago.

It wasn't a dig at any one in particular, but I'm pretty fed up of the way over the top criticism he routinely gets. It's gotten so bad now that I just have to look at some of the comments and laugh.

I too see he isn't as great as he once was, but that doesn't mean he is suddenly worse than Bellion.

It wasn't a dig at any one in particular, but I'm pretty fed up of the way over the top criticism he routinely gets. It's gotten so bad now that I just have to look at some of the comments and laugh.

I too see he isn't as great as he once was, but that doesn't mean he is suddenly worse than Bellion.

Who said he was? All I'm saying is that his performances haven't been good enough for a while now and he should be dropped from the starting 11. I don't know how he's managed to get himself in a position where he is undroppable, fair play to him in that regard.

Just watched the game.

More than happy with the draw, said before the game it would always be tough and anything that wasn't a loss would be good. Getting a bit tired of the whole playing well, keeping possession and dominating things for 10-15 minutes before conceding a goal to the opposition in one of their first two attacks thing we have going on at the minute.

Rojo was really poor and Rooney offered nothing. Smalling had another really solid game though did horribly misplace a couple of passes. Jones was ok but just makes you panic every time the ball is anywhere near him. He made one totally awful pass to Valencia that nearly got us in trouble. Thought Schneiderlin had a really good game. Did what Carrick does at his best, just intercepting passes, keeping the ball ticking over in midfield, and generally doing a very solid job without doing anything that really stands out. Very impressed with him. Herrera also had a really good game though again gave the ball away sloppily on a couple of occasions.

Thought Martial had his weakest game for us, but then he scored with a brilliantly placed header when he got his one real chance of the game. Couldn't beat his man for the most part but still offered something, at least.

As for all this Rooney talk. He is getting stick because, as Dion says, he was crap (again), and is an absolute shadow of himself from 18-24 months ago. He's lost at least a yard, his first touch is poor, his hold up play has disappeared and he generally just offers nothing of note. Then you get comments like isignedupfornorealreason's saying if he scored 3 and set up 5 everyone would still be caling him crap. No, we'd be hailing one of the finest performances ever seen in a top league or top tournament because we call it as we see it, and what we have been seeing from Rooney for a long time is pretty much a non-entity. If he actually puts in a quality performance we'll laud him for it, but 1) that has to actually happen first and 2) it would be an exception to the rule anyway unless he then put in another good performance, and another...

Anyway, a good result was had, and now we move on to City. Aguero and Silva both out which is great for us. It's one of those though, we could just as easily win it 3-0 as lose it 3-0. but I'd be disappointed with anything less than a draw at home.

Would like a lineup of:

de Gea

Darmian Smalling Jones Blind

Schneiderlin Schweinsteiger/Carrick

Mata Herrera Martial

Rooney

or the same defence with a front four of:

Mata Herrera Young

Martial

As useless as Rooney is atm, City is one of those where he could just burst to life but on the other hand if you go with form I'd rather Martial up top and get some speed around him with Young.

What I actually expect to see is Valencia keeping his place, which would be entirely disappointing.

Who said he was? All I'm saying is that his performances haven't been good enough for a while now and he should be dropped from the starting 11. I don't know how he's managed to get himself in a position where he is undroppable, fair play to him in that regard.

Think that speaks a lot about the general state of our overall squad and its depth, or lack thereof. Martial has been very good so far, but as good as he has been he has only been at the club for a couple of months. Then you have Wilson, who has torn it up in the reserve sides but has been solid if unspectacular in the first team. If van Persie was still at the club but had been out with injury all season until now then I think it would be a much easier decision to drop Rooney for RVP than Martial or Wilson, but we haven't. If we could sign someone like Muller or Lewandowski then Rooney's days would be numbered. But for now our options are Rooney, Martial and Wilson for a one-striker set-up and that is pretty much the reason Rooney is still a regular.

kid is arrogant and clearly has an attitude problem, but all this reporting and criticism is getting a bit over the top. he's only 21, he has a lot of learning/settling/maturing to do. i know giggs has been a bit pissed off and having words with him etc, he'll learn soon enough (hopefully).

He's also given players who didn't deserve it far more game time than he should. He's not infallible.

This tragic defence of Rooney would be more convincing if a) you didn't do it with everything b) Rooney wasn't actually playing like turd, to the point where people who were staunchly defending him when his performances merited it are calling for him to be dropped.

The guy has had 1 good game and 3 passable ones all season, he shouldn't be in the team.

kid is arrogant and clearly has an attitude problem, but all this reporting and criticism is getting a bit over the top. he's only 21, he has a lot of learning/settling/maturing to do. i know giggs has been a bit pissed off and having words with him etc, he'll learn soon enough (hopefully).

And if not then he'll probably be shown the door sooner or later. If Giggs gets fed up with him then LvG will have little choice on the matter. If he gets on the wrong side of LvG then his Man Utd career is finished.

And if not then he'll probably be shown the door sooner or later. If Giggs gets fed up with him then LvG will have little choice on the matter. If he gets on the wrong side of LvG then his Man Utd career is finished.

This isn't close to true. He's not been spoken to about his off field life, but that he needs to deliver more on the pitch. Neither Giggs, LVG or club even remotely close to being fed up with him.

He wears jewellery and has tattoos and suddenly he's labelled arrogant, when he's just got improve his decision making on the pitch.

I must have misplaced my tinfoil hat.

This is the same manager that has vented publicly several times due to a heavy match schedule when on tour, because he deemed it to affect the team's performance/preparation for the season. And you think he would be fine with not being allowed to drop a player from the starting eleven? Crikey! Rooney plays because LVG thinks he improves the team. The day that changes, Rooney will not play. It's that simple.

United: De Gea; Valencia, Jones, Smalling, Rojo; Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Herrera; Mata, Rooney, Martial. Subs: Romero, Blind, Darmian, Carrick, Lingard, Memphis, Fellaini.

Anyone concerned about play down our right?

Archived