Sports Interactive Community
Harryseaess

Manchester United Thread 2015/16

How has he not dragged Carrick or Schweinstiger off yet? They're offering absolutely no protection to the defence.

We are still in a better place than I expected in the table so let's take our beating and go on a break. Freak results happen.

Schneiderlin and Fellaini should be playing. Need to be physical when playing Arsenal.

Darmian is not an improvement on Toni at the moment.

He started well, but has been a foul machine since.

We look really poor out there. Young was left trying to mark two players when Ramsey should have made it 4-0. Horrible game.

I don't blame any of the back 4 at the moment. Schweinstiger is doing his best Tevez impression and Carrick is having his Gary Neville moment. Never seen a player have a have pass him by so badly.

He's talented, but Memphis has been poor for a good while now. Head down and dribbling into three guys all the time.

Such a disappointing start to the game, must be a shock to the players to be 0-2 down barely inside 5 minutes. Hopefully LVG and Giggs say something sensible at half-time and we get out there trying to win that half at least. Points are out of reach, but at least get a good performance in the 2nd half. Shame Martial didn't score that chance just before half-time, it could have lifted the spirits if nothing else.

We'll still be third, though, so there is that I guess. Fear we're going to find out throughout this season that the team is way too thin. Already running out of defenders, and don't exactly have many options up front either, apart from in central midfield. Hope Carrick finds some form soon and this is his usual slow start to the season showings.

We've been done by awful tactics today. The way he has us pressing is isolating everyone. Dreadful.

Depay is similar to Ronaldo. Not in ability of course but similar playing styles. They focus way too much on shooting and neglect defensive duties but Depay is not on that level yet and needs to help back a lot more.

Points not out of reach at all. It's Arsenal. Score early. They'll panic.

But if we keep giving the ball away high up the pitch, they'll score another 3 at least.

Team IS way too thin. Always needed another CB. Always. And, with Rojo hurt we are in dire straits with no true LB backup. Young is trying but he is flat out poor at defending.

I said Depay is either sublime or a train wreck a while back. He runs so hot and so so so cold.

Get a goal back and make it respectable at least. Or, kick them a lot. Something.

Get a goal back and make it respectable at least. Or, kick them a lot. Something.

A Keane-Scholes central pairing would be good right about now, and not just for the kicks.

A Keane-Scholes central pairing would be good right about now, and not just for the kicks.

Exactly. I was kidding about the kicks....mostly.

Carrick and Schweinie don't work together. Especially in a match like this. Was only thing I was concerned about prematch. Obviously, there was more to be concerned about, but that was what caught my eye.

Not much to take out of that game, the only positive I can really see is that Martial once again proves that he belongs in our starting eleven, he was really good today, despite the lack of a goal. Good to see Wilson get 10 minutes too, even if he stood zero chance to impact the game given the score and play.

As usual people will blame Rooney for everything between losing the game and global warming, but he was okay today. Not great by any means, but he was okay, which is more than can be said about most out there.

Smalling was good too I think, at least in parts, but I'm sure he could have done many things better too considering we were three goals down inside 20 minutes, and could have conceded 3 more.

Rooney was his usual 5/10 showing so far this season, which happens to put him well within the top half or performers from today.

The biggest culprit is LvG, madness to start the game without Schneiderlin. While I've had my criticisms of Darmian, Blind etc. before, seems harsh to lay blame at any of the defenders feet when they were playing 4v6 constantly.

Thanks to Redcafe I can say I gave De Gea and Martial a 6 and everyone else (not including the subs, I mean what do you even do when you come on 3-0 down?) 5 or lower, average came out at 4.5 which seems generous. Carrick getting my first 1/10 of the season for actually doing nothing, which I didn't think possible.

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say we were embarrassing today - certainly for the first 25 minutes.

As a unit, I said in the week an it has been proved again, that we are too poor at the back. Cut open so many times today as a unit, they should probably have had 6 goals today.

Also I said 4 or 5 games back that Depay has been poor and needs dropping, and a few people voiced against it, but by christ if anyone wants him starting our next game now then they are unequivocally wrong. He consistently has no end product, keeps running in to players and getting disposessed and his passing is pretty woeful. He's been so poor yet today he managed to have his worst game yet. Schweinsteiger also had his worst game for us as did Darmian and you can not afford to have 3 players putting in their worst performance away to Arsenal.

Rooney was pretty ineffective again. Perhaps he was as good as okay - as Pan says - but okay isn't good enough when that's the highest level of performance he has achieved in the past 18 months. He is pretty much a passenger these days, it is not even clear exactly what role he plays in the team.

Martial, on the other hand, continues to impress. Sure he hasn't scored in his last couple of games but he is the one player consistenly showing guile and willing. He is so strong and skillful, and is truly a delight to watch. He would have scored but for top-class keeping from Cech, an area where Arsenal are infinitely better this season that the past few years.

Look at Arsenal's goals today, then compare it to our lack of movement and incisiveness around the opposition box. There is no real instinct there, it's such football-by-numbers and is so easy for opposing teams to defend against.

And I think nothing sums up our squad depth at the minute more than being behind away to Arsenal and bringing on Valencia and Fellaini in some effort to turn things around. We've spent £100m/£150m two summers in a row and we still lack squad depth to such a worrying degree.

It was nice to see Wilson get 10 minutes, but I'm also worried that he only gets time on the pitch when there is literally nothing to be done about the result. Great little run in their box, just running at everyone, and beating a few players before the ball broke to Martial. That's the guile you would hope to see from others.

Thanks to Redcafe I can say I gave De Gea and Martial a 6 and everyone else (not including the subs, I mean what do you even do when you come on 3-0 down?) 5 or lower, average came out at 4.5 which seems generous. Carrick getting my first 1/10 of the season for actually doing nothing, which I didn't think possible.

almost impressive how bad carrick was. not an ounce of speed between him, schwein, blind, fellaini, mata and rooney. just completely overrun all over the place.

Preaching to the choir etc., cause it's been said a million times, but Carrick just don't look good in a 4231. He should be playing as a lone deep midfielder with 2 in front of him, always been his best role, where he can just intercept passes without anyone really noticing. If we're gonna keep playing 4231, even against teams with proper attacking midfielders, Schneiderlin should be the first name on the team sheet. I'd much rather we play 4141/4123 though. Think it would fit all our midfielders much better.

So, United fans. What's worse, losing three nil at the Emirates, or Liverpool sacking Rodgers?

That's a tough one :D

That's a tough one :D

Losing 3 nil, those points are gone but Liverpool could still give the job to someone like Sam Allardyce :D

Preaching to the choir etc., cause it's been said a million times, but Carrick just don't look good in a 4231. He should be playing as a lone deep midfielder with 2 in front of him, always been his best role, where he can just intercept passes without anyone really noticing. If we're gonna keep playing 4231, even against teams with proper attacking midfielders, Schneiderlin should be the first name on the team sheet. I'd much rather we play 4141/4123 though. Think it would fit all our midfielders much better.

I agree, but to be fair Arsenal were fantastic, passing with lightning speed. United just couldn't come near them in that first twenty or so minutes.

Hopefully we'll be picked up in time for the next series of fixtures.

Edit: Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal speaking to Sky Sports: “When you start like that you can never win a game, we lost every duel, every second ball, not tight on their midfielder, and they can play they are a fantastic team when you let them give them that space it is difficult.

“That was the worse United have been under me, we were not able to give a normal performance.

“I have never seen that of my team, that is the question I put to my players. You can not solve that now, a lot of emotion and I am emotional as well.

“I could not change anything, if it was just one player then I can take measure but it was more than half of my team who were not doing what we had agreed in our game plan.

“I am shocked, you don’t expect it, we were top of the league, won last four matches and have to protect our position, possible against Arsenal. Way we had started, so without emotion. Not expect that, difficult to understand and will have to look for the reasons."

Can't argue with that!

Rooney is poo.

Would like Mata to play as our number10. He is worthless out wide. He drifts in and does most of his damage from the centre.

Young - Mata - Depay

-------Martial/Rooney-----

Too many sideway passing when at times Valencia or Young was running down the wings. It's like we don't trust them as we know they will sooner or later loose the ball and the effort to get it back is too much.

That 15 minutes was unbelievable. Nev was saying it all game so don't want to just repeat him but it's true. Our defence was good up to then. We know how to beat Arsenal. Why suddenly did we start the game like that. Was from kick off. Again Nev mentioned when the game was about to kick off that we started off so high. Problems started from there. Schweinsteiger going walk about. Just defend properly and Arsenal will give you chances. Yet we give them a 3-0 head start.

Rooney has to be dropped.

Hate having to wait 2 weeks after a loss.

If we drop everyone that "has to be dropped" we are going to field 7 players after today.

Every game is not the same my friend.

Well it has been over the last few years.

Tactical errors yesterday, Carrick and Schweinsteiger just didn't have the legs. V Everton and City it has to be Schneiderlin + Carrick or Schweinsteiger. Memphis needs to be dropped to the bench for a few games, coming on as a sub where he can hopefully run at a tired defence.

And Rooney? **** Rooney. I really want to see the **** get dropped, show some balls LvG.

Well it has been over the last few years.

The only difference between our win yesterday and United's win at the Emirates last season is that we scored during our best spell.

Rooney is poo.

Would like Mata to play as our number10. He is worthless out wide. He drifts in and does most of his damage from the centre.

Young - Mata - Depay

-------Martial/Rooney-----

Too many sideway passing when at times Valencia or Young was running down the wings. It's like we don't trust them as we know they will sooner or later loose the ball and the effort to get it back is too much.

Mata get's a lot more room when cutting into the middle from the right than he will from starting at no.10. If he started there then the opposition can stick their defensive midfielder to just man mark him. If he's cutting in from the right then he can;t really be man marked.

Herrera should be your no.10 (I know he's injured atm....)

I see the greatest English Striker ever was poor again. No doubt he will score against the mighty Lithuania & Estonia & Hodgson/Van Gael will tell us how superb he is. I would rather James Wilson was given a few games, other than the 10 minute cameo.

The only difference between our win yesterday and United's win at the Emirates last season is that we scored during our best spell.

Ok I'm wrong. The last 5/10 years never happened and we didn't figure out how to play you. My bad.

Ok I'm wrong. The last 5/10 years never happened and we didn't figure out how to play you. My bad.

Different manager. Can't say it even vaguely applies when your current manager has a completely different approach. Equally this team is probably less susceptible to that approach

what happened is LVG plays slow sideways passing junk, we can't counter attack, we have no width... wingers at Full back :rolleyes:...

We haven't counterattacked properly, consistently, for ages, that wasn't LVG

What did DDG do in that match? He let in like every shot. Don't remember him making any outstanding saves. Martial was quality though and despite the scoreline, I thought Smalling was decent.

What did DDG do in that match? He let in like every shot. Don't remember him making any outstanding saves. Martial was quality though and despite the scoreline, I thought Smalling was decent.

Had zero chance for any of the goals and was solid for everything else.

I thought Smalling was decent.

Was milling around doing nothing again for the second goal and made to look like a pub player by Walcott for the third. Obviously the midfield did the defence no favours with the way we were set up but that doesn't excuse the absence of basic defending.

Speaking of Walcott, I take it everyone saw that the Sun rated him 6/10; Rooney 7? :D