Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Johnstone, Lingard and Wilson all played 90 mins tonight. Based on that I'd be looking for something like

Romero

Darmian

McNair

Rojo

Blind

Herrera

Schweinsteiger

Pereira

Rooney

Young

Martial

think we need to try switching Rojo and Blind. Sunderland might not get as much joy as Southampton did in the first half an hour but Wolfsburg, Arsenal and Everton certainly could. I'd like to see Herrera back in at CM and to continue to build Basti's fitness. Would ideally rest Martial but I don't want Fellaini up there again.

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Wilson or Lingard: Young duo James Wilson and Jesse Lingard won’t be required to face Ipswich after they both scored in 90-minute displays for the Under-21s against Everton on Monday. The manager added: "I don’t need them so they can have a day off and then Thursday they will be fresh and can train." Ridiculous decision, they need minutes and are far too good for U21s football. Get them out on loan if you won't play them

Rojo and McNair are both out too through injury. Sounds like Rojo will be out for 3 weeks and has pissed off LvG again as he was aware of it before he came on at the weekend but didn't tell the staff. Could be the youth record gone on the weekend depending how bad McNair is.

Jones to be on the bench due to the lack of defensive numbers but only really fit for 30 mins.

Rojo and McNair are both out too through injury. Sounds like Rojo will be out for 3 weeks and has pissed off LvG again as he was aware of it before he came on at the weekend but didn't tell the staff. Could be the youth record gone on the weekend depending how bad McNair is.

Jones to be on the bench due to the lack of defensive numbers but only really fit for 30 mins.

Wonder if we will see Tuanzebe accelerated at some point? Doing really well in his development so far. Can't see it when Lingard can't even get a game though.

Martial's composure is just brilliant. 4 in 4.

Didn't watch the game, but read good things about Pereira and Schweinsteiger. I'm delighted that the new signings are beginning to gel. I could say we bought well, I guess?

Don't really care much for the League Cup, haven't for a long time but was considering watching the match later. However, I loggedi n to FB without thinking and saw we had won so just watched the highlights.

Looks like we were pretty comfortable throughout and Pereira looks like he had a good game. Great freekick. Also, yet another thoroughly composed finish from Martial, what a buy he is.

Martial is quality. He just doesn't look like missing when through on goal, the last player we had like that was RvN. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Schweinsteiger is easily the best signing we made all summer, oozes class that lad.

At the same time 10/10 and something like 2/10 :D We've bought well, there's no player we brought in that I don't see the logic in buying (that I can remember, at least). On the other hand, we are a couple of injuries away from complete disaster due to lack of quality cover. Heck, we've already had one such injury and we're going to feel the effect of that for a good while.

I'd probably rate the window at 8/10 or so?

I do think this is one of the best summers United have had for a while. The only questionable signing was Martial and he's starting to prove his worth, while the only one who hasn't played has been the kid from Newport County but he was bought to be a youth player so that's moot.

Romero's proven a fairly capable understudy, Darmian's been useful at RB, Bastian's loved by United fans, Depay looks handy. A lot of the deadweight is gone now too, although the sale of Rafael wasn't popular.

How would United fans rate this summer's transfer window then

This was discussed earlier, think I said 7-8 of 10 then, and would stick with that really. We made some great signings early on, but never got that CB we all hoped for. Martial has obviously got off to a great start, and here's hoping he keeps that up. He looks really, really good already, so cool in front of goal. Not losing DDG is a big factor too.

Apart from Falcao (and I still see the logic in that) we haven't really bought a player I've disagreed with. Rojo, Blind etc. maybe aren't starter quality in an ideal world but we needed bodies, we needed a player like AdM even if he didn't work out.

In a perfect window we'd have gotten a top class striker and a top quality central defender but since Ramos was a no-go and someone at the club wasn't keen on Otamendi I'm not sure who else would be available. Maybe Martial will be good enough for us to not need a striker in the near future, fingers crossed. I think we've been 7.5-8/10 both seasons under LvG so far.

Believe it was me who originally asked the question, and personally I gave it a 6.5/10. Since then we have unexpectedly kept de Gea, but, as already mentioned, the lack of a top CB that was very much needed, along with the fact that we got rid of Evans and loaned out Blackett meaning we were always going to be close to a crisis if Smalling got injured, means I'd have to say that now I'll give it a 7/10. Can't give it any more than that, although on another day I may feel generous enough to say 7.5. The injury to Shaw has shown to some extent how little depth we have at the back, and if Smalling were to get injured for half a dozen games or more it will greatly show. de Gea staying and Martial's brilliant start give it that extra .5 but that's as generous as I can be.

Also something I found very interesting from Fergies interview with regards to training;

1) Actually taking training and getting too involved can be detrimental, you miss too much and it's much better to observe while your staff takes it.

2) Keeping things simple when talking to players, essentially you can't give them lots of information because they don't have the attention span for it.

1 seems particularly pertinent to Moyes and 2 seems likely to apply more to LVG.

Do you think that's likely to be true or just drumming up interest?

I think what he said is a bit suspicious as given the timing it would have been almost impossible to finalize the deal.

Also something I found very interesting from Fergies interview with regards to training;

1) Actually taking training and getting too involved can be detrimental, you miss too much and it's much better to observe while your staff takes it.

2) Keeping things simple when talking to players, essentially you can't give them lots of information because they don't have the attention span for it.

1 seems particularly pertinent to Moyes and 2 seems likely to apply more to LVG.

Saw that interview yesterday, and what struck me the most (since I've heard the observation during training bit a few times before) was what he said about attention spans and keeping things brief and to the point. If it's correct the players are going through long video analysis sessions, that could be a nag week in, week out. As SAF said himself, though, managers have different approaches, and this has clearly worked for LVG previously, and we do look rather a lot better than at the end of Moyes' spell, even if it often is a bit sleep inducing to see all those passes with seemingly no intent to break through.

Great piece on West Ham too! :D

SAF has a way with saying the right things but keeping it brief. The players must have felt 3 meters tall, with a burning desire to win. How I miss him...

Huh I only just found out Joel and Andreas Pereira aren't actually related.

Pereira is a very common Portuguese language surname, kind of like Smith or whatever in English.

Not sure who that jazz player is, but Pereira can sort of play across the whole front 3, plus deeper. Not sure what will fit him best as he develops. Tempting to say 10, but we soon have a whole team that can play there. He's not just an offensive player with no defensive fibres. He's got a mean tackle and works hard, so it's conceivable he could play as the more adventurous in the deeper pair as well for instance. For now, however, his best chance will be on the wings or behind the striker.

For all the talk of lack of a CB signing, we have a great deal of talented defenders breaking through to the U21 team. Not to say they are ready to play for the first team now of course, but there is quality in Fosu-Mensah, and Tuanzebe has been moved up to the U21s early too. The big problem is that there is a huge gulf in quality between the U21 "league" and the first team. Wilson is paying the price for that now. Can't quite make the first team bench atm, but outgrew the U21 league about 18 months ago. It's a problem.

Just to point out how ridiculous it is, the U21 team played their 2nd game of the season not long ago, after a pause of about a month. Another 4-5 weeks to the next game. Total idiocy.

Pereira seems to have developed his athleticism a great deal and is now quicker and harder working than he was. I think that is really helping him because previously you couldn't trust him anywhere but floating on the left in my opinion. I think now he could play 10, as a proper wide man as with the other night or in midfield. Hopefully he is rewarded with some more chances, got to admit I've always had my reservations on him but if he keeps improving he's got a chance.