Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

Believe it was me who originally asked the question, and personally I gave it a 6.5/10. Since then we have unexpectedly kept de Gea, but, as already mentioned, the lack of a top CB that was very much needed, along with the fact that we got rid of Evans and loaned out Blackett meaning we were always going to be close to a crisis if Smalling got injured, means I'd have to say that now I'll give it a 7/10. Can't give it any more than that, although on another day I may feel generous enough to say 7.5. The injury to Shaw has shown to some extent how little depth we have at the back, and if Smalling were to get injured for half a dozen games or more it will greatly show. de Gea staying and Martial's brilliant start give it that extra .5 but that's as generous as I can be.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also something I found very interesting from Fergies interview with regards to training;

1) Actually taking training and getting too involved can be detrimental, you miss too much and it's much better to observe while your staff takes it.

2) Keeping things simple when talking to players, essentially you can't give them lots of information because they don't have the attention span for it.

1 seems particularly pertinent to Moyes and 2 seems likely to apply more to LVG.

Do you think that's likely to be true or just drumming up interest?

I think what he said is a bit suspicious as given the timing it would have been almost impossible to finalize the deal.

Also something I found very interesting from Fergies interview with regards to training;

1) Actually taking training and getting too involved can be detrimental, you miss too much and it's much better to observe while your staff takes it.

2) Keeping things simple when talking to players, essentially you can't give them lots of information because they don't have the attention span for it.

1 seems particularly pertinent to Moyes and 2 seems likely to apply more to LVG.

Saw that interview yesterday, and what struck me the most (since I've heard the observation during training bit a few times before) was what he said about attention spans and keeping things brief and to the point. If it's correct the players are going through long video analysis sessions, that could be a nag week in, week out. As SAF said himself, though, managers have different approaches, and this has clearly worked for LVG previously, and we do look rather a lot better than at the end of Moyes' spell, even if it often is a bit sleep inducing to see all those passes with seemingly no intent to break through.

Great piece on West Ham too! :D

SAF has a way with saying the right things but keeping it brief. The players must have felt 3 meters tall, with a burning desire to win. How I miss him...

Not sure who that jazz player is, but Pereira can sort of play across the whole front 3, plus deeper. Not sure what will fit him best as he develops. Tempting to say 10, but we soon have a whole team that can play there. He's not just an offensive player with no defensive fibres. He's got a mean tackle and works hard, so it's conceivable he could play as the more adventurous in the deeper pair as well for instance. For now, however, his best chance will be on the wings or behind the striker.

For all the talk of lack of a CB signing, we have a great deal of talented defenders breaking through to the U21 team. Not to say they are ready to play for the first team now of course, but there is quality in Fosu-Mensah, and Tuanzebe has been moved up to the U21s early too. The big problem is that there is a huge gulf in quality between the U21 "league" and the first team. Wilson is paying the price for that now. Can't quite make the first team bench atm, but outgrew the U21 league about 18 months ago. It's a problem.

Just to point out how ridiculous it is, the U21 team played their 2nd game of the season not long ago, after a pause of about a month. Another 4-5 weeks to the next game. Total idiocy.

Martial is quality. He just doesn't look like missing when through on goal, the last player we had like that was RvN. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Schweinsteiger is easily the best signing we made all summer, oozes class that lad.

No, in terms of actually signing a contract, De Gea is the best signing that we made all summer!

Also, I was clearly talking about players we had bought, not players who have signed contract extensions. When have contract extensions ever been classed as a "signing" that was made in the transfer window.

Superman really is an idiot.

Oi! I'll have you know I really liked his early movies, until sadly a horse showed up how poor kryptonite was :thdn:

My Dad's favorite quote from me as a kid.

Was in the doctors and somehow got on to talking about Superman, doctor said that he (Superman) fell off a horse and broke his back. A couple of minutes passed and apparently I interrupted with "why was Superman on a horse when he can fly?"

Just gotta say that I really like LVG's pressers. He seems to treat every single journalist (being generous here) with utter contempt :D Had to laugh for myself when he was basically being their English teacher today, pointing out he has sympathy for Advocaat, not the situation :D

Anyway.. Wilson to stay until December, though it would probably be better for him to go out on loan now (reading a little between the lines).

Saw that interview yesterday, and what struck me the most (since I've heard the observation during training bit a few times before) was what he said about attention spans and keeping things brief and to the point. If it's correct the players are going through long video analysis sessions, that could be a nag week in, week out. As SAF said himself, though, managers have different approaches, and this has clearly worked for LVG previously, and we do look rather a lot better than at the end of Moyes' spell, even if it often is a bit sleep inducing to see all those passes with seemingly no intent to break through.

Great piece on West Ham too! :D

SAF has a way with saying the right things but keeping it brief. The players must have felt 3 meters tall, with a burning desire to win. How I miss him...

What baffles me is the torrent of hate and abuse he gets from opposition fans. The BBC, having not learnt their lesson obviously, took the right mick out of him for his 'world class' comment, thereby proving the point that the label 'world class' gets bandied about far too often.

But what kills me, is that in his final season, I went to watch United (and Van Persie) tonk West Ham 1-0. On the train out of Old Trafford, I had the fun of being sat next to a few plastic United fans - the type who said very loudly, and unfortunately with far too much agreement that "Sir Alex Ferguson is a crap manager, and we'll do better to get rid of him!" 'lo and behold, I hope the Moyes reign was a sobering lesson in appreciating what you have! My nephew who was with me at the time, I told him not to listen to such idiots and to appreciate Ferguson as a manager of exceptional talent. No one has come close to him in the EPL yet, certainly not Mourinho (yet), or Wenger or any other mainstay of the league.

Basically, for such a decorated and experienced manager, I think people underrate and underestimated Ferguson far, far too much. Like the whole myth that he never did tactics and could only do a 4-4-2. I mean, seriously? As a United fan it just winds me up.

I agree with that sentiment. It is odd that people kind of rewrite history now to make SAF less than he was, and that the team was in a horrible state when he departed. Besides, as said repeatedly before on my part, I don't think he had the possibility to spend like LVG has, but was hamstrung by the owners. When the genius left and the building started to come down, they needed to spend, and eventually did. Pretty amusing to be poor tactically yet be the best manager in the English game, and up there throughout the entire history of the sport. Said too often about various people, but applies here: We'll never see his like again. He was the perfect manager really. He had it all.

Obviously the sport has changed now compared to when Busby stepped down, so we are more likely to remain near the top, but I hope we don't have to wait another 30-40 years from SAF to the next truly great manager.

As for that plastic fan, what an idiot. Suppose he supports City now :D

Even more pertinent now when he blows up at least once every week, but it can't be said often enough: I don't want Mourinho anywhere near Manchester United. Charlton is a ****ing legend! :cool:

So, Sunderland, eh? Anything but 3 points will feel like a loss. I hope Wilson and/or Pereira is on the bench. I don't expect them to start, but would be pleasantly surprised. They may have a shot, seeing as it's a weak opponent at home in the league ahead of an important CL match given the starting loss.

Basically, for such a decorated and experienced manager, I think people underrate and underestimated Ferguson far, far too much. Like the whole myth that he never did tactics and could only do a 4-4-2. I mean, seriously? As a United fan it just winds me up.

Yeah that always baffled me too. Helped by Queiroz and Meulensteen across the years perhaps, but there are countless examples of tactical brilliance from SAF. Sticking Park on Pirlo for one.

Yeah that always baffled me too. Helped by Queiroz and Meulensteen across the years perhaps, but there are countless examples of tactical brilliance from SAF. Sticking Park on Pirlo for one.

Plus he appointed those people as his assistants and coaches, so he should surely get at least some credit for their good work for hiring the right people?

Kind of making the same mistake now though. SAF was good tactically because of other people, which I don't think is true. He won the European Cup with Aberdeen ffs :D Plus the league up there three times, breaking up the Old Firm. They've won every single league title since he left Scotland. I reckon he knows a thing or two about tactics.

Well the expectation is greater now that the prospect of topping the league is there and this is exactly the sort of game United have been known to completely **** up. you drew against Newcastle the other week, for example.

The expectation is always to win. This is such nonsense. It's no lesser or greater than any other game

... and nobody really cares who's top of the table in September.

But disappointed we've gone with both our most defensive CMs against such a poor looking Sunderland side.

Well when was the last time Man Utd were top of the league? I'm sure it'd be appreciated to look at the table for once and see your team at the top.

Nothing wrong with that lineup IMO. Carrick isn't exactly just a defensive midfielder, plenty of forward thinking in that guy. Would be nice to see more of Herrera of course, but hopefully his chances will come.

edit: Gotta say again, though, that bench is weird. Four central/attacking midfielders, but no strikers. In such a game, would it really kill LVG to put Wilson on the bench in case he can get half an hour or whatever?

Archived