Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with Rafael is he was a bit of a liability.

I mean you could never count on the guy to be fit from one week to another, when he was fit and playing your heart was in your mouth everytime he went into a challenge.

As LvG once said "firstly you need to keep 11 on the park to win a game".

Even 2 mill is a large profit on Rafael's book value. He did only cost 2.5 mill when we got him 7 seasons ago, hell Fabio cost us 2.6 mill.

This is football, not accountancy though. He was bought at £2.5m having not played a professional game. He's since won three titles as our starting RB. Lyon have got an absolute bargain.

The problem with Rafael is he was a bit of a liability.

I mean you could never count on the guy to be fit from one week to another, when he was fit and playing your heart was in your mouth everytime he went into a challenge.

As LvG once said "firstly you need to keep 11 on the park to win a game".

Ah the old 'liability' line. People actually watched any of Rafael after his first 18 months at the club?

He's no more injury prone than anyone else in the squad. LvG never gave him a chance & just goes for the 'safe' option in Valencia.

Rafael is (was) the player I would say most sums up Uniteds style. Previously it was Evra. Brilliant going forward whilst defensively never looking rock solid. That's the way we've tried to play for decades. Ignoring the final Fergie years obviously.

Choosing Valencia's safety over Rafael's flair is one of the reasons I'll never fully be behind LvG as United manager.

This is football, not accountancy though. He was bought at £2.5m having not played a professional game. He's since won three titles and played a Champions League final as our starting RB. Lyon have got an absolute bargain.

Actually, Fabio was our starting RB in the Champions League final. But still it's quite the bargain for Lyon. Thought he'd might sell for at least 10M.

Rafael had only one really full season, Fergie's last one

Since Joining you guys he's had 1900, 1200, 2000, 1400, 3300, 2200 then 1100 minutes in the last season

His injuries waylaid his career

Minutes played does not equal minutes injured. First couple of seasons he wasn't a nailed on starter. Last season he was fit but wasn't played in the latter part of the season.

Not denying he's had some lengthy & niggling injuries but to suggest he is more injury prone than say Jones, Shaw, E and or Smalling is almost a complete fallacy.

When ADM leaves we must have cut close to £1m a week off the wage budget.

Think Woodward will still bring in a big signing before the end of the window. Just like ADM was. LVG said we can't win the league with Mata and Young as our wide players. Not enough speed and creativity.

Could see us signing Bale and selling DDG. Probably spend £100m on him :D

Would love to sign Pedro before the weekend.

Edit: Just flicking through the Arsenal highlights. Every time VDS gets the ball he sprints to the edge of the box looking to counter. That doesn't happen anymore. The defence splits and we play it out the back. Maybe i don't notice it as much. Well was easier to counter when we had pacey players always looking to get forward.

Ah the old 'liability' line. People actually watched any of Rafael after his first 18 months at the club?

Yes when he was playing I watched him.

Sometimes he could look very threatening, other times you wondered how much longer until he got sent off.

The guy for as much heart that he had was a liability, also he was not in the same ball park as Evra.

Actually, Fabio was our starting RB in the Champions League final. But still it's quite the bargain for Lyon. Thought he'd might sell for at least 10M.

I know; for some reason I thought he'd started in 09 but of course that was Sheasy. Amended.

Well he would instantly become the best player by far in our team and probably the premier league so give him a free role. He is a game changer, the player we have been missing since ronaldo.

I'd be happy if the club decided to pay even £100m for him

3 red cards in his career, you'd swear he was getting them once a month the way people go on about him.

Yes when he was playing I watched him.

Sometimes he could look very threatening, other times you wondered how much longer until he got sent off.

The guy for as much heart that he had was a liability, also he was not in the same ball park as Evra.

Remind me again how many times he was sent off for United in his 100+ games for United?

I never said he got sent off a lot, I said he was a liability, I do remember him being subbed a few times after being booked.

I also remember on this very forum, people that were watching the game saying he should be brought off before he gets sent off.

Added to that was his injuries or his fitness, he was hardly a regular starter even when fit.

Not really sure what all the problem is, you now have a better player in that position and enough cover, I would be more worried about getting a CB.

Very sad to see Rafael go. Love the little guy, such fight and passion, and I could kind of understand it from the point of view of the amount of injuries he has had, but considering he is such a quality player and has never really been given a chance under LVG it is hard to agree with selling him when the preference has been to play Valencia.

I would never say he was the best RB in the league, but he was up there and could certainly have cemented himself as the best with a full uninterrupted season or two.

Just yet one more decision from LVG to add to the column of reasons to think the manager hasn't got his full faculties in order. Meh.

At least when we confirm Di Maria has gone that may offset it a little, horrible, unprofessional little **** that he is.

Weird to see people continue to question LVG picking Valencia at right back. Thought it was generally agreed that Valencia was one of our most improved players last season?

Let's be honest, he had a lot to Improve on...

Very sorry to see Rafael go. One of my favorites. He always looked one step away from brilliance. And he wore his passion for the club on his sleeve. Gotta like a player like that.

I wouldn't say he was a liability. But it always seemed like he could never hold onto a steady run of matches without some niggly injury sidelining him for a similar length of time. 5 in. 5 out. Etc.

All this talk of LVG not going with him bc he can be weak defensively may be unfair. LVG and the staff knew going in about his injury issues. And iirc he did get hurt early last year and it kept him out a bit. That could have solidified the feeling that he can't stay healthy. If he was tearing it up going forward in practice I think he would have found himself in more matches.

A player that was easy to support from jump but never reached his potential bc he couldn't stay on the field.

Good luck at Lyon.

Very sorry to see Rafael go. One of my favorites. He always looked one step away from brilliance. And he wore his passion for the club on his sleeve. Gotta like a player like that.

I wouldn't say he was a liability. But it always seemed like he could never hold onto a steady run of matches without some niggly injury sidelining him for a similar length of time. 5 in. 5 out. Etc.

All this talk of LVG not going with him bc he can be weak defensively may be unfair. LVG and the staff knew going in about his injury issues. And iirc he did get hurt early last year and it kept him out a bit. That could have solidified the feeling that he can't stay healthy. If he was tearing it up going forward in practice I think he would have found himself in more matches.

A player that was easy to support from jump but never reached his potential bc he couldn't stay on the field.

Good luck at Lyon.

Him tearing it up going forwards probably was the reason he wasn't in the team.

Him tearing it up going forwards probably was the reason he wasn't in the team.

Interesting bc it looks like Darmian has an awful lot of going forward in him. And while we all know Tony's short comings, it isn't as if he stood behind the center line when we came forward. He might have been more careful defensively than Rafael, but that doesn't mean better. So I guess we shall see how our RBs play to start this campaign.

Darmian was in the team who played the most minutes right?

Think it will be that team that plays against spurs, but with DDG.

DDG

Darmian

Jones

Blind

Shaw

Carrick

Schneiderlin

Young

Mata

Depay

Rooney

Got a slight disappointed feeling that Valencia might actually start ahead of Darmian against Spurs. Hopefully I'm wrong on this.

I could see it away, but that would be dissappointing at home. And, Darmian looked pretty good on tour.

Interesting bc it looks like Darmian has an awful lot of going forward in him. And while we all know Tony's short comings, it isn't as if he stood behind the center line when we came forward. He might have been more careful defensively than Rafael, but that doesn't mean better. So I guess we shall see how our RBs play to start this campaign.

Yeah Darmian is aggressive going forwards. It's just that he is also very good at defending. He might not be as exciting to watch as Rafael, but his delivery from what I've seen in the last two seasons is better. didn't see him as much last season, but certainly the season before it was excellent.

Yeah Darmian is aggressive going forwards. It's just that he is also very good at defending. He might not be as exciting to watch as Rafael, but his delivery from what I've seen in the last two seasons is better. didn't see him as much last season, but certainly the season before it was excellent.

And therein lies the rub. We thought Darmian was an all around better player. So, we bought him. And, someone had to go. No way Tony was going with his versatility. All eyes on Darmian for me this weekend. I think he will be pivotal. Please stay healthy!!!

Archived