Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Shaw's injury is anything like Diaby's, Eduardo's or Ramsey's it is probably two years till he is properly back playing well. He may become physically fit again but he is likely to be mentally scarred.

It took Ramsey three years to be back playing consistently well.

So basically the hope is for the recovery to be Valencia tier rather than Diaby or Eduardo, or Alan Smith (remember watching that one live on TV that was horrific). United's medical staff should know how to treat it due to working with Valencia but every case is different. He's also younger than the others though, so he should be a stronger recovery.

Has there been any news of ligament damage? Honest question because I haven't seen any mention of anything bar broken bones. Which would render and Alan Smith reference completely irrelevant as he basically ruined his entire ankle too. Pretty sure Eduardo had some ligament damage too, I try my hardest not to take note of horrific injuries though

Yeah Smith's injury was a complete career wrecker. He still had a decent career with Newcastle and MK Dons but he was one of Ferguson's favourites to lead the midfield (as well as be an understudy up front), so to see that go to waste was a massive shame.

If Shaw's injury is anything like Diaby's, Eduardo's or Ramsey's it is probably two years till he is properly back playing well. He may become physically fit again but he is likely to be mentally scarred.

It took Ramsey three years to be back playing consistently well.

Every player is different though, every leg break is different. Plenty of players who come back and mentally they are fine straight away.

Gutted for Shaw, he was really coming into his own this season, the work he (and Januzaj) did before pre season really helped and he had started the season really well, he was our best player in the first half against Liverpool last Saturday and we're really going to miss him now. Just hope he can get back to the level he was at before at the very least. Seems to be a fairly straightforward break though which means he should be back before the end of the season.

Still expect us to top the group but we've made it difficult right off the bat, didn't deserve to lose last night and should have been 2-0 straight after the opener. Didn't take the chances and paid the price. Bad night all round really. :thdn:

Shaws young enough for his speed not to be affected. Cisse was still rapid when he came back even from his 2nd leg break, so its nothing like a given that his pace will suffer.

Now that you've all had a sleep on it btw, are some of you less angry at Moreno for the challenge? As unfortunate as it was, I don't think there was anything malicious in the tackle. I'm sure if it were Shaw making the challenge some of you would be on the other side of the fence.

Shaws young enough for his speed not to be affected. Cisse was still rapid when he came back even from his 2nd leg break, so its nothing like a given that his pace will suffer.

Now that you've all had a sleep on it btw, are some of you less angry at Moreno for the challenge? As unfortunate as it was, I don't think there was anything malicious in the tackle. I'm sure if it were Shaw making the challenge some of you would be on the other side of the fence.

I've seen the tackle exactly twice and one of those times I was trying not to watch :D

That being said, I think it's a foul but I'm not putting any fault on Moreno for the consequences of the tackle, I definitely don't think he went in with any intent other than getting the ball/blocking off Shaw.

Fwiw I think it's a foul because even if he got the ball, he got a hell of a lot of Shaw in the process, something you'll see given as fouls outside the box quite often

As long as he has no ligament damage(which I believe he doesn't), his pace should be unaffected, and he'll eventually return to full clip. It's the mental end that's the real worry, will he be shy in the tackle or to make those driving runs. It took Ramsey for example a few years to get back to where he was.

I looked at the tackle again. I can't find anymore but there was a photo which shows as Moreno went in sliding, he was closing his eyes. He definitely didn't mean to hurt Shaw, but he certainly didn't see where he was going to. For someone who claims he's just healed from a broken leg as well, he should be more careful in his tackling because with another ref that would've been a straight red.

Reportedly the skin wasn't breached (with the actual bone sticking every which way), which is good news, as the chance for infection is greatly reduced. Just reading something like that makes me shudder though.

I can empathise particularly well in this case, because I got a nasty fracture this summer myself, breaking my left hand and a rib. Thankfully Shaw's fracture isn't near the ankle or knee, so his joints shouldn't stiffen up (like the wrist did in my case, still can't bend it like before, not even close). As long as it heals well, the biggest problem could be to maintain muscle mass. Could be he needs screws or pins into the bone to keep it in place (yay... :(). Guess he needs that when both bones are broken off, no matter how clean it is.

Thankfully he will have the best care and follow-up available, so his recuperation should be much better than us mere mortals.

I doubt Moreno went in with an intent to injure Shaw - but the reason tackles like that should be 'rewarded' with a red card is precisely because it's very dangerous. Thankfully it mostly goes well, but this time it did not :(

I looked at the tackle again. I can't find anymore but there was a photo which shows as Moreno went in sliding, he was closing his eyes. He definitely didn't mean to hurt Shaw, but he certainly didn't see where he was going to. For someone who claims he's just healed from a broken leg as well, he should be more careful in his tackling because with another ref that would've been a straight red.

Think when you're sliding on the ground next to someone's feet with legs and grass flying all over, it's quite a natural reaction to close your eyes

Just watched the match. Ffs. We lose, Shaw gets crippled, and I got to listen to Michael Owen for the best part of 2 hours. Wednesday has been thoroughly ****ing ruined.

Broken f'ing leg. Our best player this season.
Sad for Shaw probably our best player this season so far. Hopefully it shouldn't affect his speed. How a yellow card wasn't given I will never know?

As much of a shame as it is, he has not been our best player at all. Smalling and Darmian have both been better. Shaw has been great, though, which goes to show just how immense the other two have been.

So, anyway. That was just such a typical match for us and where we are atm. All the possession but not really doing anything with it, all the nice touches around the opposition box but nothing resembling a cutting final ball or ripping the opponents open, and looking a bit too flimsy at the back when the opposition charge at us. Also, far too much sloppiness in midfield. It's a worrying pattern through almost every game, if not every one. Turgid stuff.

Great goal from Memphis, fwiw. Which is nothing, because we lost :(

As for the tackle on Shaw. Just watched it a couple more times, although not at the best quality, but still from the same angles I saw during the match. Personally I don't think it looked a bad challenge. He's more than entitled to make a goal-saving challenge there, and he hasn't lunged in two-footed or anything. I think it is just one of those unfortunate ones where Shaw's leg is planted, Moreno has made a good, legal block and his back leg has caught Shaw as there is a chance of doing so. It is just unfortunate that it happened to connect in a way that was timed just so, so as for pressure to be put on Shaw's leg in just the wrong way. It's absolutely **** for Shaw, but I don't think it was a foul. If one of our players made that kind of tackle to save a goal I'd be lauding our defender for saving what looked a certain goal.

Agree. Darmian has been good, especially the first few matches, but Shaw has outshone him. However, if only we had a certain other rightback, Darmian could have gone to the left and we'd still have two 'proper' fullbacks in the team. Suppose it will be Blind now, with Rojo in as CB.

Yeah, Shaw's easily been our best player this season, terrific player.

As for the tackle on Shaw. Just watched it a couple more times, although not at the best quality, but still from the same angles I saw during the match. Personally I don't think it looked a bad challenge. He's more than entitled to make a goal-saving challenge there, and he hasn't lunged in two-footed or anything. I think it is just one of those unfortunate ones where Shaw's leg is planted, Moreno has made a good, legal block and his back leg has caught Shaw as there is a chance of doing so. It is just unfortunate that it happened to connect in a way that was timed just so, so as for pressure to be put on Shaw's leg in just the wrong way. It's absolutely **** for Shaw, but I don't think it was a foul. If one of our players made that kind of tackle to save a goal I'd be lauding our defender for saving what looked a certain goal.

I thought he'd won the ball initially but it's not his leading (right) foot that 'clears' the ball, it's his back leg on the follow through which clatters Shaw's leg into the ball. I don't normally like judging a situation like this solely on the outcome but it clearly falls under the 'excessive force' categorisation, and looks like there was a bit of a scissoring motion.

The tackle would not have been talked about had it not broken his leg. It didn't look particularly bad, but had Shaw just got up after it, I doubt much more would've been said about it. Just an extremely unlucky one.

Darmian has been offensively irrelevant in all but two of his games and been liable for at least 2 more goals than Shaw. Darmian has done decently, but he's not been as good as Shaw.

TBF, Darmian was at fault for both goals. Did a terrible job of marking Moreno on the first and played an awful, unnecessary ball for the second. His worst game in red by far. Let's chalk it up to the whole team being out of sorts after the Shaw injury. We never really looked right after that and that is understandable.

Didn't see match till late last nite NYC time. My friend has prepared me for Shaw's injury without telling me outcome. It didn't prepare me. Gutted for him. Terrible thing to see happen to any player. Moreno had a right to the challenge tho. It wasn't intentional or malicious. Shaw was probably going to score. Hoping modern medicine puts him all back together and he is good as new. He was doing so well and becoming a very special player, too.

Would probably stick Rojo out at LB. He plays very well there for Argentina, and Blind is starting to form a decent partnership with Smaldini.

yeah, this is what i was thinking would happen when he came on. rojo is a better cb than blind but blind sucks at lb and can't get up and down like rojo can, plus the partnership/disruption thing.

Needing a second operation doesn't sound like a good thing. Could be that the bones are a little out of position, after a CT scan for instance, and they need to line it up perfectly. Hopefully not something more serious, like ligament damage, or anything else that could cause longterm issues.

Needing a second operation doesn't sound like a good thing. Could be that the bones are a little out of position, after a CT scan for instance, and they need to line it up perfectly. Hopefully not something more serious, like ligament damage, or anything else that could cause longterm issues.

It's usually a clean up. He's got a clean break which is why they are confident he will play this season. No initial sign of ligament damage

Does the clean break mean he doesnt lose any speed? Seemed like a player that took the pressure in his stride.. hopefully he comes back mentally strong.

Being purely bone break, and no scarring near joints means his pace should be unaffected.

It's ligament damage(of which Shaw has none), or scar tissue stiffening joints that cause problems with pace and movement. That said, even these problems didn't slow down Valencia, everyone's different.

Think the biggest factor in something like this is definitely mentality. Never broken a bone in my life but can easily see how he cold not be the same player when he returns. Hopefully that isn't the case, but would be easy to think pessimistically every time he goes in to a challenge or on a run.

Obviously I'm not a pro footballer, so it's not quite the same (;)), but I broke my leg April 2007, was able to run again about January 2008 and was at "full fitness" by March, but didn't return to football until about August as I was really paranoid of getting hurt again. It then took me a couple more months before I was not thinking about it again.

Archived