Sports Interactive Community
Harryseaess

Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Completely agree. He could not score for 5 games now and outside of a few Utd fans, people wouldn't notice. Gives him time to work on his game and build up some rhythm, and if he does manage to grab a goal or two that'll be a bonus.

A big issue was 'just how good is he' as in, now, rather than promise, promise, promise

Now fans see a glimpse a magic. For me, more impressed with his finish. I like to see a player actually finish a chance rather than smack it hard and straight or hard and low. Forwards finish chances. Now fans see that then I agree, doesn't matter if he doesn't score for few games or is a bit quiet in one here or there as they can feel a bit more confident that there is proper quality there and also he should be able to slot into playing in England without too much hassle

When he came on and did that flick I thought oh no, he's not gonna try too hard, is he but he settled down

Does he not speak English though? Schneiderlin seemed to be helping LvG translate, I wondered if that was why he left him out instead of upcoming CL :D

Ben Smith ‏@28 minutes ago

LVG: "For me, Liverpool is a fantastic club. Because I have won every game against Liverpool."

Perfect, just perfect. :applause:

Who couldn't love a Roy of The Rovers story :D pity he's not English is all.

So LVG says we played better in the first half. He is either deliberately acting bonkers or just a complete moron. The first half was diabolical.

Don't think the first half was as bad as some would make out. We didn't create much but we did tire Liverpool out with our possession football.

Our German engine was man of the match by a mile. Anyone who disagrees is just plain wrong. It was like a training math for him today, just so far above everyone elses level.

So LVG says we played better in the first half. He is either deliberately acting bonkers or just a complete moron. The first half was diabolical.

You're joking. :D Must be a windup.

Don't think the first half was as bad as some would make out. We didn't create much but we did tire Liverpool out with our possession football.

Our German engine was man of the match by a mile. Anyone who disagrees is just plain wrong. It was like a training math for him today, just so far above everyone elses level.

Deserves it simply for surviving 90 minutes.

Yeah, the First half was a solid performance, United dominated the entire half, Liverpool didn't get a look in, it's not always about scoring goals or creating chances in individual halves if the result comes during the fullness of the game.

As Coldberg said, the first helped tire Liverpool they had no response when United picked it up a gear save for a worldy of a goal from Benteke.

Who couldn't love a Roy of The Rovers story :D pity he's not English is all.

Imagine what he would have cost if he was English.......

Lost count the amount of times I've watched Martial's goal. :D

Thought Blind was immense at the back and as had been said , Basti was a class above.

Shaw was our most creative and attacking player in the first half.

Personally thought Blind was just as good. Dominated from the back.

Yeah Blind was amazing yesterday. Definitely an improvement after getting a runaround by Gomis a fortnight ago and shut out Benteke yesterday. He scored a goal and two off the line clearances in a minute. Benteke's goal was no ones fault though, literally came out of nowhere (even if Herrera ducked at last second).

Was skeptical when Memphis was subbed of by Young, but Young does what he does best in winning set pieces :D Oh and I had goosebumps when Martial scored. And to consider that was Liverpool we were facing, it was amazing. Liverpool look like such a mediocre team right now.

Thing about that free kick was it's nice to see something that clearly has been worked on in training actually put into practice and work on the pitch

Too many 'float a ball into the box' and 'whipping it in' so thought that was very well done

Ignoring the whole 'oh Skrtel was crap as usual' and the 'oh but he got lucky with the ball bumbling into his path'...

Every part of that finish was cool and Henry-esque. Open body while running, slotted into the bottom right hand corner. Beautiful.

Ignoring the whole 'oh Skrtel was crap as usual' and the 'oh but he got lucky with the ball bumbling into his path'...

Every part of that finish was cool and Henry-esque. Open body while running, slotted into the bottom right hand corner. Beautiful.

Suarez has made a career out of that. Every single ball seems to fall into his path :D

Don't jinx it man... I know it reminded me of Henry but it's too early to compare him with Martial :(

They showed one of Henry's early goals on GOS that looked similar... although his was better.

I can imagine squad number purists going insane with our squads this season :D

Today we have: 1, 7, 8, 12, 16, 17, 21, 23, 27, 31 and 36 starting with 5, 9, 18, 20, 25, 28 and 33 on the bench!

2, 3, 4, 6, 10, 11 nowhere to be seen

Livid!

And yet if Rooney is on the field, he takes that and does it nowhere near as well
Certainly wouldn't have gone as high. Seems to prefer to hit them lower.
And with less power and in general just all around worse

Did youse not see the penner he scored all of five days ago then?

Can't agree that the first half was acceptable yesters - Liverpool were there for the taking and we just faffed around them as usual. One thing to say 'well you don't necessarily need to be creating chances' is one thing, but when the opposition defence and goalkeeper are all over the show and giving the ball away every five minutes we should be able to create something. Not so sure that the second half improvement was down to us changing gear per se as the result of the (set piece) goal forcing Liverpool to come out more. All well and good criticising teams for playing defensively against us but why wouldn't they when it's so effective?

Thought Dave did well with his two saves; hopefully the distribution issues were down to rustiness. Darmian was fine as usual - solid defensively and gets into good positions but ultimately he and the team are too limited to make most of it. Smalling was Smalling. Blind was marvellous, showed how physical limitations can be managed with intelligent defending by constantly forcing Benteke into safe areas with his marking. Great goal and clearance too of course. Luke Shaw ifb. Terrific in the first half and still very good in the second. Our most consistent threat this season. That tackle on Milner :*)

Seemed to be a training match for Carrick - our full backs push up and the opposition don't track them so as to have the option on the counter: find the pass. Schweinsteiger was magnificent - metronomic control, invention, strength, backheels and even a stepover. Sprightlier than you'd expect for an owner of an arse of that size too. Looks fit and sharp now.

Mata was ok but quiet, same old story now of the restrictions of the role leave him with limited angles which make him predictable and easier to defend against. Herrera struggled to get into the game without a proper centre forward to create space. Did well for the penner though. Depay seemed to be targeted and doubled up on which limited his impact, though he still looked the most likely to create something in the first. Young didn't seem to be perceived as such a threat and got a bit more joy.

Fellaini showed that he's no starting centre forward. Funny how much of the build up was around how he'd be an improvement on Rooney consisting the latter's first touch, only for the ball to bounce off him in the box three or four times in the first half, in tight areas with time at a premium. Also lacked the composure and/or technique to capitalise on Mignolet's error. Looked far better once he moved back and had the game around and in front of him, rather than just behind. Obviously Martial took his goal wonderfully, hopefully a sign of things to come and not just heightened expectations.

Found it interesting in addition to the opener how many of our corners were turned back to Blind to cross from a deep position. Wonder if it'll continue or was just part of the Fellaini gameplan.

Will also be interesting to see how our tactics evolve if Martial is to be integrated into the first team. Rooney at 10 behind him could link up with Depay and Mata to get them in more dangerous areas. Plus LvG could claim that he's back in midfield and therefore he was right and the media were wrong, which I'm sure he'd love.

Herrea done pretty well out wide, would be interesting to see him start there and Mata at 10.

The good thing is, if Martial can do that regularly then defences will be afraid of him and will have to adapt against us, hopefully freeing up our midfield to get more chances. Hopefully I'm not jinxing things. It's only one goal so far. But the style of it was most hopeful.

Did youse not see the penner he scored all of five days ago then?

Ssshhhh. Don't mention anything good Rooney does; that's not allowed. He's a pub player on massive wages with the first touch of a concrete wall, who can't score in a brothel and will just fanny about looking dazed and confused.

Ssshhhh. Don't mention anything good Rooney does; that's not allowed. He's a pub player on massive wages with the first touch of a concrete wall, who can't score in a brothel and will just fanny about looking dazed and confused.

That is true though :D

Rooney's pen against Switzerland was pretty poor. He got away with it because of the power, but the height was right in the danger zone where the keeper can fairly easily get to it. Could see him bricking it though whilst he was waiting, wouldn't have surprised me if he'd missed. Needs to hit a corner, not halfway in between.

Been afk since Friday due to heading across country to a friends wedding, so first of all... de Gea has signed a new contract, get in!!! Pretty sure he will still go next summer, but at least we'll get a decent fee in for him, and will have ample time to find a fully suitable replacement.

Secondly. Due to the aforementioned wedding, the match was missed. It is always worse to miss a match we win, even more so against Liverpool, as it would have been a delight to watch, but delighted with the result so I'll happily miss games if this is the end product. Recorded the match on the off chance I managed to go the weekend without finding out the result, but it was inevitable, so will shortly FF through it and watch the goals.

As I haven't the time to sit and read through 3 pages, would folks kindly give some sense of how good we were, regardless of result. Were we awesome? Lucky? Boring? etc... Were there any standout individuals? Any useless performances?

That is true though :D

I don't think it is, tbf.

I mean you kick a ball at a wall softly, and it mightn't bounce 10 yards away.

The only actually useless performance was that Firmino lad for Liverpool. Think I saw him once all game?

He was Fabregas like, in my opinion.

Just watched the goals. Nicely worked FK for Blind. Obvious penalty for Herrera's. And nicely taken goal for Martial.

Must say Herrera pussied out for Benteke's goal. Completely turns his back, covers his head, screws his face up like the worst thing in the world is aimed at his face and he wasn't even that close to Benteke when he started to turn away. Then had the audacity to claim for a high boot. Maybe if he had actually gone in for the header or been within a few yards of him at least he may have got somewhere, but he was never going to get a freekick for a high boot when he was nowhere near Benteke :D

Been afk since Friday due to heading across country to a friends wedding, so first of all... de Gea has signed a new contract, get in!!! Pretty sure he will still go next summer, but at least we'll get a decent fee in for him, and will have ample time to find a fully suitable replacement.

Secondly. Due to the aforementioned wedding, the match was missed. It is always worse to miss a match we win, even more so against Liverpool, as it would have been a delight to watch, but delighted with the result so I'll happily miss games if this is the end product. Recorded the match on the off chance I managed to go the weekend without finding out the result, but it was inevitable, so will shortly FF through it and watch the goals.

As I haven't the time to sit and read through 3 pages, would folks kindly give some sense of how good we were, regardless of result. Were we awesome? Lucky? Boring? etc... Were there any standout individuals? Any useless performances?

First half was horribly boring. United in total control, Liverpool sat deep, but we didn't create s***. Memphis tried at least, but nothing came off, and he was subbed at half-time for Young. Young is instantly fouled for a freekick, which we score from. This probably changes the dynamic of the match, and Liverpool can't sit quite as deep any more, probably giving us some more room. Second half is much better as a result. Shaw was great, Blind and Smalling solid at the back (Blind with a double save on the line-ish). DDG made a few good saves. Schweinsteiger and Carrick bossed the midfield, and as usual Carrick has some sweeeeet first touch throughpasses, including one over the top to Darmian on the right that we almost scored from. Herrera is fouled down for a penner, and he takes it himself. His was a controlled penner, but when Rooney did the same he was lucky to score. Go figure. Benteke with a wonder goal, and 2 minutes later Martial scores a worldie as well.

Terribly sleep inducing first half for the neutrals (non neutrals too), but the game opened up a bit more in the second half. Liverpool are s***, they really are. I wager if a SAF team came up against such a lousy Liverpool team, they'd be looking at a very tough loss.

Or maybe a 1-0 win, with us biting our fingernails the last 15 minutes when we sit back and try to defend the lead.... :D Actually, a 2-1 win would be more likely. Liverpool score 1-1 with a few minutes left, before we score the winner in the 92nd. :lol:

His was a controlled penner, but when Rooney did the same he was lucky to score. Go figure.

Are you talking about the penalty against the Swiss? The one that went in off the keeper? ****ing hell :D

The one that was pretty much a carbon copy of Herrera's but to the left instead of the right? Yeah, that one. It was Rooney though, so it's fine, he's worse than rats with a snake head.

Decent result but Liverpool are awful. You can understand why West Ham played the off the park and won 3-0.

Martial is a real talent, I just hope LVG lets him play rather than let him keep possession for the team

Rooney's problem isn't that the penalties he scores are bad, it's that for every 7 really good ones he has 3 woeful ones.

Every penalty scored is a good one and every penalty missed is a bad one. I don't see how someone can be criticised for scoring a pen, you can't do more than that on a penalty.

Every penalty scored is a good one and every penalty missed is a bad one. I don't see how someone can be criticised for scoring a pen, you can't do more than that on a penalty.

Amazingly, even despite this post coming from you, this is complete and utter nonsense

Amazingly, even despite this post coming from you, this is complete and utter nonsense

What more can you do? Score 2 goals from 1 pen?

From 1 pen, the best possible outcome is 1 goal.

It can still be an awful penalty, you utter plank :D

If you hit a penalty that the goalkeeper doesn't save and it goes in the net its a good penalty. The only way it is a bad penalty is if it doesn't result in a goal. Doesn't have to be well hit to hit he back of the net :p

It can still be an awful penalty, you utter plank :D

Football is based on results and outcomes. The aim is to do enough to beat the keeper and score. As long it does that, it is more than good enough.

Nah definitely don't want Rooney on pens. Fairly sure he's got a pretty poor record for us, in fact I seem to remember there being a statistic about it when RVP took over from Rooney, and Rooney's ratio was quite poor.