Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guardiola would drive people mad just as much as LvG with his strange decisions, so would Ancelotti by only playing old and reliable players.

At this stage the only way supporters will get behind a manager is if they're young, charismatic, won something but not everything with something to prove. Anyone that doesn't tick all those boxes (Klopp, Ancelotti, Mourinho, Guardiola etc.) will be torn apart.

Guardiola would drive people mad just as much as LvG with his strange decisions, so would Ancelotti by only playing old and reliable players.

At this stage the only way supporters will get behind a manager is if they're young, aeverything charismatic, won something but not everything with something to prove. Anyone that doesn't tick all those boxes (Klopp, Ancelotti, Mourinho, Guardiola etc.) will be torn apart.

Isn't Klopp exactly what you've just described there?

Isn't Klopp exactly what you've just described there?

No, he's not charismatic. He's an intellectual hipster who will be torn apart for being too clever the second something goes wrong. Brits hate people who are outwardly clever, much prefer flawed genius' or unassuming people who seem to do it by accident. You only have to look at how many people considered SAF lucky or bad at tactics etc. to see it. If he'd been more outward and prone to explaining his ability he'd have been sacked long before he won half of what he did.

TalkSport report that it will be £200K a week 5 years deal with a £8m bonus and a £50m release.

Looks like Ed reads the thread, glad he listens to me and not sid :D

All numbers most likely taken out of a churnalist's arsehole. Wouldn't put any faith in it. Naturally good if DDG gets a new contract, however.

Really do not want Giggs as our next manager. Absolutely no way should we ever consider the notion of giving the job to someone who has not been a manager for a good while already. As much as I love Giggs as a player, you can't give the managers job to someone at Manchester United as their first ever managerial post.

As for reports of DDG possibly signing a new contract, I'm considering it the usual journalistic bollocks unless it actually happens, and not going to get the slightest bit excited t the possibility. If it were to happen, it would be amazing, of course.

At this stage the only way supporters will get behind a manager is if they're young, charismatic, won something but not everything with something to prove. Anyone that doesn't tick all those boxes (Klopp, Ancelotti, Mourinho, Guardiola etc.) will be torn apart.

Don't think this is true really - the overwhelming majority were behind LvG from the start and from what I see most still are. Think Pep ticks the boxes too in that he is still to prove that his Barca success wasn't as much due to Barca in of itself as him (pending further success with Bayern before he leaves, obviously).

Don't think this is true really - the overwhelming majority were behind LvG from the start and from what I see most still are. Think Pep ticks the boxes too in that he is still to prove that his Barca success wasn't as much due to Barca in of itself as him (pending further success with Bayern before he leaves, obviously).

He's won everything, is boring and is outwardly intelligent. Doesn't tick the boxes, besides keeping the ball drives people nuts. People will use all that against him.

We definitely need a very good manager to clean up the mess LVG has and will leave us. Rijkaard cleaned up the great mess after LVG destroyed Barca and Heynckes restored order to Bayern after LVG managed to somehow make Bayern worse than Leverkusen.

I'll be so happy if de Gea signs a contract, even if it just means we get a good fee for him in the summer. I reckon LvG has told him that he either signs a new contract or he's not playing for the rest of the season, therefore he'll miss the Euros.

He's won everything, is boring and is outwardly intelligent. Doesn't tick the boxes, besides keeping the ball drives people nuts. People will use all that against him.

Missed the whole 'outwardly intelligent' bit - simply don't know where that's coming from. Media figures like Stephen Hawking, Brian Cox and Stephen Fry are well liked and have a platform largely based on their intelligence. If you're restricting it solely to managers then there's the likes of Wenger, Capello, Pochettino, Martinez, Ancelotti, O'Neill and Mourinho who have been valued for their 'outward intelligence'; or at the very least not slighted because of it. The Ferguson thing was as much of his own media creation to encourage opponents to underestimate him. Even the two you've written off here - Klopp and Guardiola - are widely admired, even idolised by British fans.

Fair to say Hawking/Fry/Cox demographic is fairly different to the football supporters one. And Van Gaal was well liked until he actually got here, same with Capello and I'm sure the same with Poch and Martinez if they ever manage a top club. Way off the mark with O'Neill and Mourinho though, One is dull as dishwater and the other has the whole Brian Clough thing going on, not that of a University lecturer.

Think that's a little harsh on Ancelotti. At Chelsea he was bringing through young lads the season they finished second behind us and was bizarrely sacked. McEachran, Kakuta, Bruma and van Aanholt all got game time.

If De Gea signs a new contract on almost any terms whether it is long or short, and doubles his salary, I will consider this transfer window to have been a success.

Also, give Giggs a chance. We need someone to bring some sense of culture back to the club. Right now it doesn't seem like we have any kind of philosophy other than making money.

Decent news, that! :cool:

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2015/Sep/David-De-Gea-signs-new-contract-at-Manchester-United.aspx

[h=1]De Gea signs new contract at United[/h] David De Gea has signed a new four-year contract with Manchester United, keeping him at Old Trafford until at least 2019. There is an option to extend it for a further year.

The Spain international, 24, joined the Reds back in 2011 and has registered 175 appearances for the club, winning the Premier League title in 2013 and two Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year awards.

David De Gea said:

“I am delighted to be starting this new chapter in my United career. I have always enjoyed playing with these great players in front of our fantastic fans. Manchester United is a special club and Old Trafford is an ideal place for me to continue to develop my career. I’m looking forward to putting a difficult summer behind me and concentrating on working hard to improve and help my teammates to be successful.”

Louis van Gaal said:

“I am absolutely delighted David has signed a new contract. He is one of the best goalkeepers in world football. I am very pleased that he will be part of the team for many years to come. David made a very important contribution to our performance last season and he has been the club’s Player of the Year for the last two seasons. He is a popular player who is keen to learn and enhance his game. At such a young age for a goalkeeper, he has many years ahead of him.”

What's this nonsense about you considering refusing to play us at youth level :lol:

Interesting. What level, U14/15s? U18s/U21s we have to play you regardless. I don't think there are a lot of people very happy with that U14s result getting published the other week. What the report failed to mention was that 6 of our best players were with the U15s at a tournament, coupled with various other players being away. Wasn't a true reflection of the squad's ability because most of them weren't there, but everyone is jumping on the band wagon straight away that City have overtaken us at youth level.

Edit- just seen the report. There's a lot of player poaching going on at the younger age groups that we're not happy about. Guess this was our way of trying to avoid it happening.

Can someone explain to me how this "He'll move next Summer anyway" train of thought works? Apparently it is the same situation as with Ronaldo who also signed up and then moved on? I'm having a naive day again.

Is it just a case of a face-saving exercise so United can play him this season whilst looking for a replacement, De Gea stays in the Spain squad for the Euros and then Madrid sign him for a pre agreed fee that hasn't been disclosed?

Can someone explain to me how this "He'll move next Summer anyway" train of thought works? Apparently it is the same situation as with Ronaldo who also signed up and then moved on? I'm having a naive day again.

Is it just a case of a face-saving exercise so United can play him this season whilst looking for a replacement, De Gea stays in the Spain squad for the Euros and then Madrid sign him for a pre agreed fee that hasn't been disclosed?

Could be we are prepared to let him go but only for a good fee. We only get a good fee if he plays this season. He wants to play the Euros. He only plays the Euros if he plays this season. However he's the one losing the most by not playing. So we sit him down, tell him to sign a new contract or he doesn't play. We're guaranteed a fee, he's guaranteed to play, even if he leaves next season everyone wins.

Not saying that's definitely what's going on but it's hardly an outlandish scenario

It's not face saving. It's Man Utd making sure they get a proper fee for him when he leaves. And De Gea is making sure he gets game time ahead of Euro 2016 - I suspect, had he not signed this contract, he would have been left out and his place in the Spain squad under threat. I'd also like to think De Gea is doing the right thing and recognising the role played by the club, and helping them get paid next summer.

There's no way De Gea has gone from wanting to leave and go to R.Madrid, to being happy to stay at Man Utd for the next five years and not move to R.Madrid. There's been some sort of agreement between the two parties somewhere. Now it's up to R.Madrid to make a proper bid for him next summer.

Archived