Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

I was a big fan of Zlatan in his prime, unfortunately that period is at best a couple of seasons behind him & I cannot see him being a success in the Premier League, maybe even less so when paired up with Rooney as that will probably be a case of two past their prime Alpha's in attack & it's difficult to see many scenarios where that will produce positive results.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was a big fan of Zlatan in his prime, unfortunately that period is at best a couple of seasons behind him & I cannot see him being a success in the Premier League, maybe even less so when paired up with Rooney as that will probably be a case of two past their prime Alpha's in attack & it's difficult to see many scenarios where that will produce positive results.

Rooney isn't playing up front.

Zlatan also just produced one of his best ever seasons

Rooney isn't playing up front under LvG, who's to say that Mourinho will still use him in the same manner & let's be honest Zlatan is producing the goods in a one horse league.

Rooney isn't playing up front under LvG, who's to say that Mourinho will still use him in the same manner & let's be honest Zlatan is producing the goods in a one horse league.

Zlatan has produced the goods in every league he's played in.

When was the last time you saw Mourinho play more than one up front?

I'd love to be wrong as I really have enjoyed watching him play over the years but at 34 I seriously doubt that he'll be able to get into the physical & mental shape required to perform at a consistently high level in the Premier League after 4 years in France with the last 2 years being nothing more than competitive training sessions.

Are you really happy with the idea of signing a player at the end of their career?

I'd love to be wrong as I really have enjoyed watching him play over the years but at 34 I seriously doubt that he'll be able to get into the physical & mental shape required to perform at a consistently high level in the Premier League after 4 years in France with the last 2 years being nothing more than competitive training sessions.

Are you really happy with the idea of signing a player at the end of their career?

He's mentally sharp as ever. And Ligue 1 is as physical as any league. Do people watch Ligue 1, or just assume that it's a training ground?

I have no problem with Zlatan pitching up for a season or two and scoring 20 a season.

There's more to it that just the physical strength or athletic ability of players, Ligue 1 is a significantly less demanding competition than the Premier League & that makes life much easier for players with a higher level of natural technical ability than the majority of their opponents, that luxury will not be afford in England.

There's more to it that just the physical strength or athletic ability of players, Ligue 1 is a significantly less demanding competition than the Premier League & that makes life much easier for players with a higher level of natural technical ability than the majority of their opponents, that luxury will not be afford in England.

The defending in the Premiership is average quite frankly. Ligue 1 is played at an intense level, especiallly in midfield, there's a reason why it's a breeding ground for players like Matuidi and Kante.

If he can do it in the Champions league, he can probably do it in the "greatest league in the world"

The defending in the Premiership is average quite frankly. Ligue 1 is played at an intense level, especiallly in midfield, there's a reason why it's a breeding ground for players like Matuidi and Kante.

If he can do it in the Champions league, he can probably do it in the "greatest league in the world"

He's moving to the Bundesliga then. :D

I don't think Ibra's ability is really in question and the EPL is the type of league he should be able to thrive in.

If he is signing as AM as well then it points to him starting to wind down his career which would work well for Man Utd. I would be more concerned that on top of Ibra they are being linked to Morata & Icardi which would mean even less game time for the likes of Martial & Rashford.

Would love to see

De Gea

Mensah/Valencia, Smalling, Stones, Shaw

Rooney, one of our current midfielders, James Rodriguez

Martial, Rashford

Ibrah

Wouldn't Rashford be wasted out wide? That is also an extremely attacking line-up and vulnerable defensively.

I was under the impression he played RW earlier in his career but I could be wrong. It was more of a way of finding room for Rashford since he deserves it after his breakthrough this season.

I also doubt Mensah will be a starter. I think it's much more likely Darmian gets significant playing time. Wouldn't mind seeing Blind in the starting XI somewhere

This is such nonsense. :D

Right now for the LW, AM and ST slots we'd have Rooney, Martial, Rashford, Mata, Depay and Ibra (and Lingard). That might be one player too many. In contrast, we don't have anybody to play right wing consistently and at a high level.

With Jose coming in, I guess Mata would get the boot while Rashford and Depay are more likely to be backups to Ibra and Martial respectively.

Right now for the LW, AM and ST slots we'd have Rooney, Martial, Rashford, Mata, Depay and Ibra (and Lingard). That might be one player too many. In contrast, we don't have anybody to play right wing consistently and at a high level.

With Jose coming in, I guess Mata would get the boot while Rashford and Depay are more likely to be backups to Ibra and Martial respectively.

That's an easy problem to solve, we don't have Ibra

This is such nonsense. :D
Do enlighten me about the highly competitive opposition that PSG have faced over the last few seasons.

Difference between a mass briefing and a player spreading a story to his journalist pals?

Besides, it's blatantly Giggs or someone who wants Giggs to take over. All of the leaks mention how great he is and how much the players want him.

Was going to reply to you saying that I wouldn't be surprised if the "player" was Giggs & then when u hit the reply with quote button, I see you've already edited it to do the same yourself :D

It's ridiculous how conceited that man is. Have absolutely zero respect for him as a man any more, I'd go as far as saying it's probably less than zero now.

By accounts it was one of the players - not Giggs.

On a completely unrelated note, interesting how it stresses that LvG's tactics affected Rooney's finishing, and that Rooney tried to convince LvG to ease off on the criticism, and that Rooney had to give the players a team talk ahead of the derby.

Zlatan has produced the goods in every league he's played in.

La Liga?

I was under the impression he played RW earlier in his career but I could be wrong. It was more of a way of finding room for Rashford since he deserves it after his breakthrough this season.

Think he played there early on but was reading an interview with McGuinness ahead of the cup final where he was saying that they spent an awful lot of time training him on specific centre forward play, that he was effectively delayed from moving up to the U21s to focus on it.

Graceful stuff from Louis in his statement.

Yeah, very good statement from him.

I really wanted the bloke to succeed, shame he wasn't able to play decent football. It's not all been bad though.

Graceful stuff from Louis in his statement.

yes indeed he said-"I would also like to express my gratitude to the amazing United supporters. They are truly the best fans in the world."

also proving he is right in what he says sometimes:D

By accounts it was one of the players - not Giggs.

On a completely unrelated note, interesting how it stresses that LvG's tactics affected Rooney's finishing, and that Rooney tried to convince LvG to ease off on the criticism, and that Rooney had to give the players a team talk ahead of the derby.

Either/or, it's all far too pally and people are looking for the comfortable route.

That's the thing with LvG, he orders the players to take a touch in the box because it's proven that it increases your chances of scoring, but ultimately you have to let the players make their own decisions on the field once you've drilled it into them on the training pitch and something was going wrong at that stage.

He'll slap on a gagging order before the media can do anything to confirm it.

That was beautiful :D

Yeah, very good statement from him.

I really wanted the bloke to succeed, shame he wasn't able to play decent football. It's not all been bad though.

As did. I was happy with the appointment after that display at the world cup, but it just didn't work out for him here.

We now have the best manager in the premier league. I fancy our chances to win the title next season.

sid man please don't start that lets give it time....if he starts well no talk of a treble ok:D

and no tantrums if it doesn't start so good;)

given time he will get us challenging lets get the house in order first a director of footy in to handle the transfers then getting the confidence back and already he has the opposition fans are worried and he hasn't started yet

Can imagine Mourinho starts spending straight away imo...he's shown that he's done that before in terms of getting business done early on so can't see why he wouldn't. Def gonna need some new defenders first methinks.

he will bring in a few for sure

and he will address the CB we will find out if he goes back in for stones(who would have been ideal for Chelsea with terry to mentor him)

he might go for a more finished article rather than a youngster still learning his trade

he will bring in energy on/off the field and we will see not gung ho stuff but we will get good quality stuff and he will bring out more form the players who will stay at the club

looking forward to firstly the transfer window was dreading LVG being handed another fortune to blow it

I really don't want stones at this stage in his career. Needs someone more experienced to go alongside smalling. Not sure who that would be mind you!

yes totally agree at one stage I had a horrible thought it was going to be JT;) great player horrible person and his history with rio etc no way could have taken seeing him at OT

varane was waxing lyrical about jose recently would rather him than some of the others mentioned, press did link us with a Colombian CB playing for inter at time jose was watching them play??

garay is being linked ??

oh and rashford tipped to start for England on Friday:thup: I bet the boy has to pinch himself what a year so far

sure he has a few options and he will get that right, looking forward to him bringing the best out of some who are already here too

just reviewed some clips of LVG............SOME GREAT STUFF BUT ALL OFF THE PLAYING FIELD :D

''you too fatman'':lol:

Looking back at some old LVG interviews during his time at Utd, he looks so much younger! It's strange.

Stress.

Moyes looked like Gollum's great grandfather by the end of his spell

At the start:

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/7/5/1373024582118/6a963042-9522-46dd-b3d0-7e31655c5245-1024x768.jpeg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&

Towards the end:

http://www.thereddevil.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/david-moyes_2783026k.jpg

Think next season will be like Jose's first season back in his second spell.

He didn't sign too many players and was vocal about their title chances, he knew they were a little short. Then he bought well the next season, the exact players he needed and dominated the league.

The aim this season has to be top 3 and still in title race come the last 5 games.

DDG staying will be massive

Darmian Smalling Stones Shaw is good enough for our target with Valencia, Jones, Rojo and Blind and back ups. Really want an English right back who's name begins with S :D

Schneiderlin and Herra is a good enough centre midfield pairing for me, with Bastain, Rooney providing experienced support. As well as Blind as cover. If Fellaini and Carrick leave a possible replacement is needed.

Really hope Jose keeps Mata, but it's unlikely. Rooney, Herrera and Lingard can also play there. But it's lacking some quality if Mata goes.

Martial with Depay as back up for LW

Really need a RW. I would go for Mane. Hard working and knows the league and has scored goals in it. Young, Valencia and Lingard is enough cover.

Ibra leading the line with Rashford and Wilson ready to provide pace and energy when its needed. Ibra won't be able to play every match or even full matches. Plenty of games for the young pair. With Martial and Rooney able to play there also.

Archived