Manchester United Thread 2015/16

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop listening to talk sports when you're on the fire water. Talk sports will melt your brain.

don't drink mate :D and its talksport the biggest sports station in the world...well according to them:p

I'd laugh my arse off is West Ham's first league match at the Olympic stadium was behind closed doors.

Don't be daft, it was outside the stadium before the match started. They're obviously morons and need to be banned for life, but the police screwed up and underestimated how many people were going to turn up outside the stadium for the occasion. They didn't even close the street from traffic, which was just stupid and people couldn't move.

Anyway, awesome game :) Rooney was brilliant for you guys apart from a couple of brain farts, no idea why you lot give him such a hard time.

Get a quality CB in, and when everyone's fit, your defence is probably the best back-five in the league.

de Gea

Darmian - Smalling - ? - Shaw

Going forward, the rest of your team really isn't that far off either. A signing in CM and a winger, and it's a title challenging XI easily, especially if you get Depay and Januzaj turning their form around.

Get a quality CB in, and when everyone's fit, your defence is probably the best back-five in the league.

de Gea

Darmian - Smalling - ? - Shaw

Going forward, the rest of your team really isn't that far off either. A signing in CM and a winger, and it's a title challenging XI easily, especially if you get Depay and Januzaj turning their form around.

First, that's assuming that we actually still have de Gea with us next season, something which is far from certain. I do agree on the back 4 though, we are one quality CB away from a very nice defence, however that is also relying on Shaw coming back as the player he was pre leg-break, another uncertainty.

So last night went as expected then. Slow start, go behind, pick up a bit, get level, somehow go in front (Martial being Martial I guess) and then due to the team having no backbone they collapsed. This is a serious problem in the squad, there are no leaders. Well maybe Schweinsteiger but that's it.

We are several top quality players short of where we should be, challenging for the league and CL.

We need a top class CB, alongside Smalling. A top drawer CM, well two ideally. But at least one to replace Carrick and his role in the team. A quality RW and another ST.

Not sure who those players are like but that's what we need.

Blind of course is not a CB, I wouldn't even risk him in a 3 man DM role in a 433 in the PL, he should be back up LB to Luke Shaw from next season. Rojo is not good enough in any position as a starter.

Expecting a lot more from Darmian and Depay next season too, both have been nowhere near good enough. Schneiderlin in that category too.

LvG has to take some of the blame for lack of form from the players too. It's npt helped any of the new players we signed last summer to get going when they don't really get a proper run in the side in their preferred role.

His use of the younger players from the u21s was most definitely down to him mishandling the first team squad by selling too many players and not properly replacing them thus leaving him too short. I doubt very much that we would have seen Rashford in the first team this season if it wasn't for Martial getting injured. Granted Rashford was on the bench thankfully but only to make up the numbers because he sold Rvp, Welbeck and Chicha.

TFM has been very good for us when he was required on the bench to make up the numbers when the inevitable injury crisis struck and we were low on first teamers. The first sign of him doing something wrong (the pen in the FAC Semi) he immediately took him off and we've barely seen him since. Pretty sure Varela hasn't featured in the first team since Coutinho did him in the EL. He continually punishes the young lads the first chance he gets and reverts to the senior players like Rojo and Valencia who haven't done any better than the u21 lads.

Another younger player, Januzaj starts the season in the first 11, scores the winner away to Villa and is then loaned out to Dortmund. This after he did extra work in Dubai with one of the fitness coaches BEFORE pre season even begun in a bid to get into the first team. Basically LvG likes to make out that he gives all these youth players a chance but we wouldn't have seen them this year if he didn't mismanage the squad so badly. He drops them at the first opportunity he gets, how is that going to help the young lads?

Only two more games with him at the helm I hope.

Taken from twitter but...

In LVGs 38 away games we've failed to win in 25 and have a goal difference of -5. Yes, MINUS FIVE.

Oh Jesus, didn't realise it was that bad. Embarrassing.

Last night was just an utter utter embarrassment. I never felt confident we can get the job done last night even when we was leading.

There is a serious lack of leadership in the team and I don't know how much these defeats and failures hurt the team.

To be asked to guarantee top four by winning two games against West Ham and Bournemouth after an awful season, and then c0cking it up is just ridiculous. Worst thing is knowing teams like Liverpool and Chelsea would have grabbed that opportunity and completed the job with it if given. Just a huge disappointment and unfortunately out of the fans control!!

Don't be daft, it was outside the stadium before the match started. They're obviously morons and need to be banned for life, but the police screwed up and underestimated how many people were going to turn up outside the stadium for the occasion. They didn't even close the street from traffic, which was just stupid and people couldn't move.

Anyway, awesome game :) Rooney was brilliant for you guys apart from a couple of brain farts, no idea why you lot give him such a hard time.

Because people are fecking dense, that's why. Rooney is crap, no matter what he does or how well he plays. Like yesterday. Probably United's best player behind Martial. But fans are giving him all sorts of abuse.

Schneiderlin is a weird case though. You'd think he's the exact type of player we need, and I was glad we signed him, but time and again he plays poorly.

Last night was just an utter utter embarrassment. I never felt confident we can get the job done last night even when we was leading.

There is a serious lack of leadership in the team and I don't know how much these defeats and failures hurt the team.

To be asked to guarantee top four by winning two games against West Ham and Bournemouth after an awful season, and then c0cking it up is just ridiculous. Worst thing is knowing teams like Liverpool and Chelsea would have grabbed that opportunity and completed the job with it if given. Just a huge disappointment and unfortunately out of the fans control!!

That Liverpool well known for completing the job when it's in their hands.

I don't know, there were also bottles thrown on the pitch last night, also I was just reading that some West Ham fan ran on the park to confront DDG.

Those would be enough to make them play a game behind closed doors.

I very much doubt the FA will do that but they could if they pushed it.

Because people are fecking dense, that's why. Rooney is crap, no matter what he does or how well he plays. Like yesterday. Probably United's best player behind Martial. But fans are giving him all sorts of abuse.

Has anyone criticised him for last night, at all?

Last night was one of the rare nights I didn't hear anything bad about him tbf. All the abuse was thrown at one particularly slow Dutchman. Well two.

I've not read the thread that much in regards to the game last night but has anyone criticised de Gea?

I hate to criticise him because he's been so good over the last few years but I feel he should have stopped their first and third goals.

First goal takes a big deflection but the striker is going away from goal and could only shoot in to the corner in which he scored.

The third de Gea didn't seem strong enough to keep the header out after getting there.

Or am I just being extremely harsh?

Not in this thread, I think, but plenty were aghast at the idea of him going to the Euros, never mind starting, in some England related thread. But I had the RageCafe more in mind, tbh, where as usual people were heavily criticising him, as if he was a washed up pub player. It's simply routine by now, and has been for a long while.

Sorry to hear about Welbeck. Such bad luck :(

[quote=Pangaea;10834371

Sorry to hear about Welbeck. Such bad luck :(

the poor lad, he doesn't get much luck with injuries, lets hope its the end of the run but he seems jinxed

Yeah, there's been quite a lot of it about as per.

I truly believe LVG saw something in Rashford. He sent out Wilson on loan even after your numbers were short up front.

... and recalled Will Keane when it looked like there was a chance he'd have to put him on the bench. By accounts LvG doesn't have a clue about anyone outside of the first team picture, hence his asking Joyce if he had any left back's when Shaw got injured.

Obviously the small squad provides the opportunity for exposure for young players in an injury crisis, but the amount of whinging eminating from van Gaal during said crises doesn't seem to carry the positive connotations you'd expect. More it seems like an opportunity for a convenient excuse for underperforming while not having to man-manage a large squad, while taking credit for anyone who thrives from his scattergun policy.

Because it's the erratic nature of the use of young players that undermines the notion that there's any coherent plan in place. Brightest prospects have been marginalised from the outset, while others with few long-term hopes have been thrust in and typically floundered. Players are hooked and/or dropped at the first error (imagined or real), and seldom retain their position in the squad when established first teamers return. And despite 10 matches against lower league opposition, cup sides are packed with senior internationals. None of which suggests any kind of faith in the younger players.

A lot's been made of the 14 academy players he's given his debuts to, but the detail doesn't paint as pretty a picture:

Lingard: One of the few successes after belatedly returning in October, couched in the context of his lesser natural ability compared to overlooked peers

Blackett: Started the first six games of last season, and while not pulling up any trees was often the equal or better of more established colleagues. Seems to have been a victim of the 5-3 as he only started one more league game before being loaned to Scotland.

Janko: An MK Dons anomaly.

James: Full name 'Our Friend Reece James'. Was hailed as a prospect when played in pre-season despite having shown little promise. MK Dons his only game before a series of loans and then sold to League One.

Pereira: Got a league cameo towards the end of last season to seduce him into signing a new deal. Impressed as one of the few kids given a chance in the League Cup before falling off the face of the earth, an early sub appearance against Bournemouth the only time he's had more than 13 minutes on the pitch since.

McNair: The archetypal LvG kid. Thrust into the first team during an injury crisis and, some giddiness about a last ditch header aside, never really looked like the low expectations of him were misplaced. Featured sporadically throughout last season, leading LvG to hail him as our right back for the next 10 years in the Spring. He's since started 9 games with a record of W1 D2 L6, including the losses to Swansea, Everton, West Brom, Bournemouth and Midtjylland. From 15 league starts has twice failed to see the second half.

Thorpe: A stoppage time sub appearance and sold.

CBJ: Looked reasonable if rather better going forward than defensively as first choice left back through February but dropped back in the pecking order until coming off the bench against Norwich.

Love: Started the season in League One before being called up as an emergency option who featured in the Midtjylland debacle, probably won't be here in two years if he lasts the summer.

Riley: Impressed against Midtjylland but only seen briefly warming the bench since.

Rashford: The golden boy skewing the plaudits, started on account of Will Keane's injury having been recalled from loan and then Martial getting injured in the warm up. We'll sadly never know if a pacy midfielder-cum-winger would have played there instead had one been available. Yet to be dropped on account of being undroppable.

Poole: Warmed the bench during that wonderful week in Feb culminating in a few seconds against Midtjylland. Not seen since.

TFM: Stormed into the team in the spring before being inexplicably dropped despite looking better than half our team.

Weir: A few splinters from Jan to Mar resulting in some seconds against Arsenal. Not seen for two months.

Beyond them you've got Varela's weird run in the side; Powell being brought on to keep us in the CL; Michael Keane being sold without a backward glance despite looking the business (and is now the best centre-half in the Championship having turned 23 four months ago); and Wilson, Januzaj and Depay misused and/or loaned.

He's thrown enough **** around for some of it to stick, but there's no detailed investment in the youth system by carefully evaluating the players available, their strengths and weaknesses, and putting a plan in place to develop them and integrate them into the first team set up. It's giving Warren a ring when there's an injury.

It's that stuff above which is why I think that if we see more of the same over the summer, then United will shell out on strikers and just end up loaning out Rashford. Oh yeah it would be a completely moronic thing to do but again, look at who you have in charge of transfers at the club.